Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, March 17th, 2017
Happy Friday! Okay let’s do our Friday Five.
- Wednesday I saw an adorable shar pei puppy that looked just like this picture. One of the girls at the gym brought him in to show her co-workers. He was adorably wrinkled!
- I picked up my new glasses yesterday. I was going to take a picture…but the day got away from me. I’ll try to get a pic next week. It’s going to take me a day or two to determine if the glasses are the right prescription, or a little too strong. My vision is pretty bad, so bad in fact that Wizard tried them on then got a migraine. I’d like to think it’s a coincidence, but probably not. (FYI, I warned him! He has meds that stop his migraine, and he was fine last night.)
- DEADLINE TERROR, I has it.
- Wizard mowed the lawn for the first time yesterday. He’s doing well in his back surgery recovery. It’s 8 1/2 weeks now.
- I’m reading a boring book. Bleh. The only reason I haven’t given up on it because it puts me to sleep at night, LOL! I can’t afford to get hooked into a good book right now, because of the aforementioned DEADLINE TERROR
That’s my Friday Five. Now it’s your turn to share yours. Have a great weekend!
Friday, March 10th, 2017
- I’m in a race against time trying to write this book. If only the scenes would magically write themselves, but no matter how much Lucky Charms I eat, it doesn’t happen. Also I don’t actually buy or eat Lucky Charms
- Wizard brought me home a Hershey’s chocolate bar. You know, because fitting into my clothes is highly overrated.
- I love reading sexy dirty books if it’s compelling story, but I can’t listen to them on audio book. That’s such a weird quirk. I’ve been leaning toward mysteries and women’s fiction in audio.
- My insert key on my keyboard keeps going on and annoying the crap out of me. I’m assuming I’m typing so fast, I’m accidentally hitting it. Note I said typing fast, not accurately, LOL!
- At night when I go to bed, I watch dog rescue videos to try to distract myself enough to sleep. It’s kinda, sorta working.
Okay that’s my super quick Friday Five. What are yours?
P.S. I’m uploading The Sex on the Beach Book Club–it’ll be up for pre-order by Monday (I hope) and release on March 20th.
Friday, March 3rd, 2017
Okay let’s get right to our Friday Five where we name any five things about our week:
- It’s been six weeks now since Wizard’s back surgery. Time flies! He’s doing well, he really likes physical therapy and works hard. We’re hoping the residual nerve pain–which is normal at this point–continues to improve. Wizard is returning to a many normal activities but he’s being very good about not lifting things he shouldn’t–case in point–he asked me to lift a propane bottle out of the car the other day. I was impressed!
- However later that same day, he fired me from mowing the yard and paid the neighbor’s gardener to do it. I was writing away and didn’t realize what he was doing until the yard was done. Hmm…that was either really considerate or he isn’t impressed with my awesome moving skills.
- Yesterday Wizard made up for that abrupt firing by bringing these home as a surprise from me:
- I went to the gym only once this week. I suck…I don’t mean to suck, but our house cleaners came Wednesday morning, and this morning I have a hair appt. which cuts out my gym time. And Monday morning I have a dental appointment. If I don’t go first thing in the morning, I won’t go…because I suck and eat truffles
- I want to write the book my heroine is writing in my book!! Did you follow that? So in my rock star trilogy, my heroine writes for fun and as a kind of therapy. In this second book, her stories are changing, and now I’m jealous of her book…I really want to write that book! But I also want to write this book..and now I’m confused and must to back to #3
I was going to talk about our weather too but I used up all my 5…oh well Now it’s your turn, what’s your Friday Five? Happy Friday and Have A Great Weekend!
Friday, February 24th, 2017
I swear it was Monday, then I blinked, and now it’f Friday! So let’s do our list of five random things:
1. I hit the middle of the book and panicked. Big ugly panicking. So what did I do? Take a step back and re-evaluation? Apply some logic? Heck no, I scheduled delivery of this book to my editor on April 5th. People, the first half of this book is a mess and I’m doubling back, dropping in scenes and writing notes it capitals letters, and the second half…isn’t freaking written yet. But I scheduled delivery of my book! Nothing like a little pressure to get those creative juices flowing, right? Bwhahahaha!!! I’m just diving in and giving it my all while my inner child is throwing things and screaming, WHY DID YOU HAVE TO WRITE SUCH A HARD BOOK? WHY???? But you know, I totally have this under control…NOT.
2) Despite #1, I love this book more than ever. Especially when my heroine is getting all feisty and demanding that I get out of her way and let her make her own mistakes. Go Liza!!!
3. I went back to the gym this week. It helps balance my stress, and it’s a great place for me to listen to an audio book guilt free I’ll do more cardio if I’m enjoying the book so it’s a win-win.
4) I made this No Knead Rosemary Parmesan Skillet Bread last night. It’s a heavy bread with a chewy crust, and great for dipping in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
5) I’ve completed my secret scene–the side project that I came up with at 2am and couldn’t resist doing–and had it professionally edited. I won’t be using that until April, but it’s so nice to be ahead of something for once! It cost me some time away from this book, but honestly, it was such a fun project that I think it’s good break for me.
That’s my five, what are yours? Happy Friday and Have a Great Weekend!
Friday, February 17th, 2017
Here we are again–another Friday! And we know what that means–time to do our Friday Five!
- Youngest Son’s birthday is this week. For those of you who remember him as BLB (Broken Leg Boy), he’s doing so much better these days. I still admire that boy so much. He could have let this injury defeat him. But nope, he recalibrated his life and thrived despite dealing with limitations and pain.
- I mowed the yard for the second time. It’s not a great picture but that’s me mastering the lawnmower. It amuses me only because Wizard has such a weird thing about it–he doesn’t think his wife should have to mow the yard. It’s a point of pride–like he won’t let me carry bags when we’re shopping. It’s a guy thing I guess? But obviously, I’m fully capable. (Even if Wizard does a better job).
- The weather dudes have been predicting a Monster Storm to hit sometime last night and today. I dunno…we’ve had more rain that we’ve had in years, but I’m still skeptical. Southern CA weather dudes tend to exaggerate. We’ll see around the time you guys all read this blog.
- For any who missed it in my newsletter, here’s the one for Savaged Dreams, book 1 in The Savaged Illusions Trilogy!It’s on Goodreads, and up for pre-order at B&N / iBooks / Kobo / Google Play and I’ll get it up at Amazon next month. Amazon limits pre-orders to 90 days before release.
- I’m writing away on Savaged Vows (book 2–tentative release month July 2017). Even though I know this story, these characters keep surprising me as they grow and mature. I think one of the hardest things is that I wish I could spare Justice and Liza from what’s coming–but I can’t. I have to let them crash and burn so they can truly learn that’s important. It’s tough being an author-parent sometimes
Hope you all have a great weekend!
Friday, February 10th, 2017
Happy Friday! I hope all of you in the path of the latest snow storm are warm and safe!
Okay let’s do our insomnia-driven-and-therefore-very-random Friday Five:
- I’m trying to decide between two different conferences being held in Florida this year (RWA in late July or NINC in early October). I’m leaning toward NINC but… by the time I decide, they’ll both be booked and I’ll be mad but save a ton of money. Wizard’s no help–although he’ll go with me, he tells me it’s my call because it’s my career. Did I ask him to be logical? No I did not. I asked him which location–Disney World in Orlando or Tradewinds in St. Pete’s Beach–he would prefer. Men.
- However Wizard is looking up first class flights for both of us to go to Florida. I’m going to have to sell a kidney and yet, with his back, I know it’s better for him. I tried to talk him into me flying in coach and him flying first class…um…that conversation didn’t go well.
- Why does one of my eyebrows have a couple gray hairs, but not the other one. Why??? I’m unbalanced and it’s oddly disturbing. I feel like my eyebrows are messing with me, maybe even plotting evil things.
- And speaking of whys–why does fun have a price? An out-of-town friend called and was in town. Yay! It was great to see him and a good break for Wizard who is bored out of his mind, but those few hours of fun cost me with deadlines bearing down on me. Fun should be free, that’s all I’m saying.
- Yesterday I was tired (anyone have a spell to banish insomnia?) and working on a tough scene that involves a touchy subject. Frustrated, I paced the house saying, “Dang it Liza, what do you feel? It’s allll about the feels. How can I write the scene if I don’t know what you feel about this subject????” Wizard looked up from reading the paper. “This is a totally new line of crazy for you. But it looks good on you. Carry on.” Then he went back to reading the paper. Whatever…
Okay that’s my random Friday Five. Your turn!
Have a great weekend!
Friday, February 3rd, 2017
Hope everyone had a great week! A quick Wizard update: We saw his doctor, and Wizard is doing well. He’s “on track” healing wise, and well enough for the doctor to remove the stitches in his back. Wizard is having some nerve pain that comes and goes, that’s also normal. All signs are positive right now. Wizard will probably start physical therapy in the next week or two.
And sorry I didn’t answer all the comments on Wednesday. I read them on my phone, but it’s too hard to answer them there. For two days now, I’ve been playing Real Life Catch-up, and haven’t been at my computer much. Today I’m planning to be home and writing. Wizard only needs minimal help now, and my book needs a LOT of my attention.
Now let’s do Random Friday Five
- Okay it’s true, I’m getting attached to a little dog that is half poodle. Apologies to all the poodle lovers out there, but I grew up next door to an unpleasant poodle so they just weren’t my favorite dogs. Then Max–a Maltipoo came into our lives and I can’t help but love him. He’s just a sweetheart. The moral of this story is never say never because then a Max comes along and proves us wrong. I mean I never thought I’d love small dogs and Bailey changed my mind. (Wizard’s in the background yelling, “Jen will fall in love with any dog in the universe!!!” He’s not wrong )
- Wizard’s neurosurgeon’s office is 55 miles away. It should take us an hour to get there, including parking. With traffic–an hour and a half tops. The day of Wizard’s appointment took us two freaking hours through nightmare traffic! Fortunately we left super early knowing that parking would be a problem, and it would take Wizard a while to walk into the complex so we got there in time. But it was a miserable drive. #SoCalTrafficSucks!
- I made oatmeal chocolate chips cookies because I felt like it. I don’t care about weight right now. I will care when I can get back to the gym and a more normal routine.
- I love this book so much and yet it’s soooo hard to write. No sympathy friends, I do this crazyass shit to myself. Write, delete, second guess, worry, don’t sleep and somehow finally write a scene and I can live with–then do it all over again with the next scene.
- I’m reading some books for a contest. Two of them look so promising, I bought the Kindle versions so I can read them at night when I can’t sleep. Sometimes, I have to really struggle with contest books, but I always learn something even when I don’t love the books. It’s so much easier to spot the problems with someone else writing, story or structure than with my own. I’m always glad I made the time to volunteer for this. One thing I know for sure–make me love and worry for the characters, make me FEEL for them, and I’ll forgive a lot of other problems in the book!
Okay your turn! Share your random Friday Five.
Next Page »