Archive for the 'Lyon’s Lair' Category
Next Page »
Friday, December 2nd, 2016
Let’s play Friday Five. I’m talking about random stuff in my week. I’ve been working a lot so the first three are about writing
- I forgot how to write a book. I do this on almost every book I write and it’s ridiculous. And Wizard laughing at me doesn’t help. Okay I sort of deserved the laughter since I was standing in the family room and banging my head on a wall. What? I’m a Leo people, we are dramatic when we want to make a point and get a little sympathy Also I was kind of hoping I’d knock myself out so I could stop thinking about how I’m in over my head, I don’t know what I’m doing…yada, yada, yada. Which by the way, is FEAR TALKING and total B.S. Fear is a roadblock to the first draft and I know better. But fear can be a sneaky little bitch who gets in our head and it takes an army to get rid of her. FYI, banging your head on the wall doesn’t get rid of fear, it just gives you a headache. But I Refuse to Let Fear Win. Ever.
- I was just ready to send everything off to my cover designer for the novella that I’m re-releasing in January 2017. My AAA (Awesome Assistant Anna) found the perfect image for my cover and I had everything I needed Monday night. But for some reason I resisted sending it off. Tuesday morning, I woke up with total clarity. I couldn’t re-publish the novella with the original title. Here’s the truth folks, I kind of hated the old title of You Give Love A Good Name. But I didn’t argue because the novella was in an anthology with a really strong title so the individual titles didn’t matter. And one thing I learned when I was with NY publishers was to pick my battles. But now I’m indie and so I spent days agonizing before deciding to go with the title of, Good, Bad & Sexy. But I still wasn’t sure until… (see #3)
- OMG! I just saw the mockup of the new cover with the title of Good, Bad & Sexy and I LOVE IT! It creates the exact “brand” of sexy fun I wanted for this book. A title is part of the three-pronged brand created from the cover, title and back cover copy that tells the reader what to expect from the book, and the original title wasn’t doing that. But Good, Bad & Sexy does ( I hope!).
- Now moving off the subject of writing. Six weeks ago I hired a house cleaner to help Wizard and me through this rough patch with his back and my work schedule. They come every two weeks and I think I’m going to start baking them cookies out of sheer gratitude. They are fast, efficient, nice and reasonably priced. I’m surprised how well it’s working out so far. And I’m going to hate to give them up down the road (unless we win lotto), but right now, they are a huge help.
- No he’s not mine! This is Tube Sock Steve. He’s a tiny dog that came into the veterinarian’s office where Youngest Son’s fiance works. He was homeless and badly injured. But that didn’t stop these heroes–they performed surgery and saved his life. Because he was so tiny, they had to make clothes for him out of socks to help keep him warm, and that’s how he earned the name Tube Sock Steve. But this story gets even better–they found Tube Sock Steve a new home where he’s a much loved part of the family (and he has a new name, LOL!). I just wanted to leave you guys with that story of real and loving heroes.
So do you guys have a Friday Five you want to share? Or any Friday thoughts? Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, February 4th, 2015
Ok guys, you know the drill…do you think this guy is worthy?
Aye or Nay?
Hope everyone is having a good week! On Friday, if I have time, I’ll talk about why I’m redoing all the covers on The Plus One Chronicles Series
Friday, January 9th, 2015
How did it get to be Friday again? It’s the new year and I thought time might slow down, but nope. Is it just me? So crazy! But on the upside, I’m loving writing right now. It’s just different, freer than it has been in a while. I refuse to think about deadlines, and am just letting the story happen.
Later I’ll get crazed. It’s inevitable because that’s just how I am. I care so much about the readers who have invested in Wing Slayer Hunters and hung in there waiting that I want to give them the story they deserve. But thinking about that now is counterproductive. So I’m just writing, deleting, rewriting and letting the story mature and develop.
And while I have you guys, I wanted to say that I do try to answer the comments, but missed out on Wednesday. When I went to answer, the blog or something was acting up and not posting my answers, then I just didn’t get back to try again. But I always read them comments and always appreciate them!
So this weekend: Tomorrow I’m having lunch with Biker Witch so we can catch up. I’m going to try to make my local RWA meeting on Saturday because Candace Haven is talking about writing a “Fast Draft” something I’m very weak at, and “Revision,” something I’m decent at but can always improve. But it depends how much writing I get done today. And then I’m also going to start reading COWGIRLS DON’T CRY by our own Silver James! I can’t wait!
So what are you doing this weekend?
Thursday, November 20th, 2014
So I’m trying to steal as much writing time as I can right now. I know the holidays are coming, and it’s going to get harder. I have a love/hate with the holidays. I really enjoy gathering with family, reconnecting with people I haven’t seen in a while, baking and trying fun things, and for the last few years, one of Wizard and my high points is shopping for the CHP (California Highway Patrol) gift drive for Toys for Tots. For many years, all we could eek out of our budge was one gift. But now that our kids are older, we cut back on them and have so much fun doing getting more gifts for Toys for Tots, including the older kids. (Wizard and I learned young how hard life can be. Contributing create One Magical Day for some kid out there is very personal to us). Anyway I love all that.
But I am sick with worry every year over trying to get gifts for others, and get it all done in time. Plus I’m not a big fan of shopping in general.
Anyway, so this weekend is my last one before I launch into the craziness.
How about you? What are your plans for the weekend? And are you looking forward to the holidays?
Monday, September 8th, 2014
Three weeks until Wizard retires… Actually three weeks and two days, but whose counting
We had a great weekend, especially Saturday. I did a little work in the morning, then we hung out at the pool and had half-strength (only half the amount of triple sec and tequila) margaritas. Well I had one, Wizard had one and a half because we’re totally wild like that. Then we came in and made a steak and lobster dinner. But we weren’t done! After that…well a couple hours after that, then we had ice cream. And then Sunday morning we went out to breakfast.
Which mean someone (named JENNIFER LYON APODACA) needs to go on a diet. Soon. But not today, because today I’m meeting old friends for lunch and I can’t wait for that! One of my friends, Marianne, is here from Pennsylvania and I’m so happy to get the chance to see her.
And also, dieting totally suck. Although I am getting back into an exercise routine
I’m slowly getting back into my writing routine, and really surprised how much I’ve been drawn back into the Wing Slayer world. At the same time, this other sexy contemporary series is hovering at the edge of my mind begging me to hurry with Linc’s book. I’m trying!
Now I have a question for any of you who made it this far in the blog: CAGED MAGIC is mostly about Linc and Risa, however Ram and Ginny have a point of view in there as they try to find a way to have a future even though Ginny is not Ram’s soul mirror. Ram is torn between the woman he loves–Ginny, and the witch he needs, Shayla. How do you all feel about more than one story line like that in a book?
So how was your weekend?
Friday, August 15th, 2014
The book is in! I sent it in yesterday afternoon. Whew, such a relief! This book took me twice as long to write as it should have. But it’s done until I get revisions. Now I’m going to catch up on a bunch of stuff, I need to do some paperwork for my German publisher, I have a phone convo with a Google rep next week after I put them off for a while, I have three months of expenses I need to get straightened out, I need to listen and edit the audio version of OBSESSION…it’s a really LONG list. And I’ll start planning my next books.
This weekend I’m seeing Biker Witch (my sister), yay! I’m really looking forward to that.
So Wizard got home a little early yesterday, coincidentally about five minutes after I sent the book in. I told Wizard I was done until revisions. That’s ALL I said, yet he stared at me and said, “You always think the book is bad when you send it in. But it turns out to be fine.”
I’m biting my tongue, desperately trying NOT to say that. I mean I have DOUBTS and WORRIES boiling in me but I’m not going to say it. No one believes me anymore. So I’m biting my tongue, determined to act positive and confident.
And Wizard burst out laughing at me. “It’s killing you not to say it.”
I finally crack like an overripe watermelon. “It’s not fine this time, you’ll see. First, I’m not sure the publisher will like that the heroine…” And I’m off, spilling out about a fifth of my concerns. Until Wizard returns and hands me a glass of wine. “Suck it up, Witch. The book will be good.”
“Drink the wine. Breathe. Rinse and repeat.”
Fine. I drank the wine. And maybe it helped a little bit Maybe Wizard’s ridiculous faith in me helps too, but I’ll worry anyway. (Seriously, there’s a good chance I’ll have massive revisions. I took a few risks…plus…never mind. Drink wine, breathe, rinse and repeat.)
Now let’s talk about one of my favorite subjects, Bailey Dog! This is the latest picture Middle Son sent me of Bailey this week.
This is Bailey’s life now–daily walks on the beach. That dog is so spoiled! Wizard and I think it’s time he’s comes to visit us and chase lizards.
So do you have plans for the weekend?
Wednesday, December 4th, 2013
I lost the picture I originally intended to post (don’t ask-yesterday was just one of those days–I can’t find that sucker anywhere). So instead, I’m going to post this guy:
This is CPA Boy and Special K’s new dog, Corky. To my great sadness, I still haven’t gone out and met him in person. I hear he’s super sweet, possibly not the smartest dog ever, but calm and sweet. Meeting him will be my reward once I turn in this book and get everything else on my desk done.
So…what do you think, is Corky Worthy? By the way, this is his “official” photo sent to my by Special K. She cracks me up, she actually called it his official photo.
Next Page »