Monday, October 25th, 2021
It was an okay weekend. Not much to talk about. I got my mammogram done on Friday and that ended the week packed with appointments This weekend I did a cake for my brother-in-law, but I wasn’t real happy with it. He, however, was very gracious and seemed pleased and that’s what counts. I’m not showing it because it has his name on it, and I’m not sure he’s comfortable with that.
And on a related note: Someone in my town posted that they were looking for a cake decorator who can make a “simple” dragon cake for their kid. I was tempted for two seconds before I recovered my sanity. First, I don’t WANT to do this as a business, it’s a hobby and nothing more. Second, I not good enough (I’m not insulting myself, I just need more experience). And third, I would stress myself sick. Better that I stick to doing cakes for fun, family and friends, or even someday entering contests for kicks. But I really don’t want someone relying on me not to screw up their event!
My other claim to fame this weekend is that I cleaned out my close and drawers. I through out a sizable bag of clothes–much of it old things that I loved and hung onto even thought the really don’t fit anymore. I’m pretty proud of myself for that! Otherwise, I ran errands, did a little cleaning and am struggling with my vision. It’s nothing to worry about, just my vision getting a little worse, which we knew at my last eye exam. I just couldn’t tolerate the new prescription in contacts, so that’s been a whole thing. Then add in some sinus/allergies causing blurriness and the world goes out of focus So I didn’t try to write.
I may start looking into Lasik to see if we can get my vision to at least something more easily corrected with glasses. But I’m a little leery of that. If anyone has personal Lasik experience they’d like to share, I’d love to hear it.
That was my boring weekend, how was yours?
Friday, October 22nd, 2021
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week.
- Maggie had a recheck and more booster shots at the vet. So far I’m very happy with the new office. Maggie was sore for two days after her shots. The poor dog has been through a lot this year. But she’s caught up for a while now, and hopefully won’t have any more problems.
- We went to the dentist. I had a great checkup. Poor Wizard had to start a crown to replace an old filling that had cracked. I feel for him, but now the worst part of that is done.
- Today, I will hopefully get my mammogram done. It took a LOT to get this appointment, but I imagine it’ll go fairly smooth. Fun fact about me–I’m weird enough that I sign into the sites to see my images of any of these exams, then do research on Google Images to see if I can “read” the x-ray, MRI or whatever it is. I never seem to remember that I’m not a doctor, nurse or anything remotely qualified, LOL. It’s just a quirk. I’ve been more right than wrong in my uneducated guesses, but I’m still not a doctor
- In book news, Katie Couric makes me sad and annoyed. I try not to comment on books written about politics. But since this one was written my a journalist/entertainer on her career, I’m just gonna say what I feel: I’m utterly disgusted. What really ticks me off is the way she treated other women. Gaining or keeping success by trying to repress others is just revolting. I was pretty ambivalent about her before this, but now, she seems downright unlikeable to me. To be clear, I’m basing my opinions from excerpts released in the media, and her pre-release media interviews. I won’t buy the book. Okay, I’ll stop now
- I have to think about Thanksgiving. And not only that, I need to actually reach out and discuss it with others like my kids because, as it turns out, they can’t access my thoughts and need actual concrete communication from me. Who knew?
So that’s my five now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, October 20th, 2021
Should we invite these two (pictured below) over to the blog for a play date?
Looks to me like they are friendly and know how to play nice! I think they’d fit in her really well
Monday, October 18th, 2021
Fast but good weekend. Saturday I ended up spending all day making a cake for Special K’s birthday. It’s a simple drip cake, but I complicated it by deciding to make homemade lemon curd (filling), the most involved icing–Italian Meringue Buttercream, and I wanted to try lemon-white chocolate ganache for the drip. Anyway, here’s the finished product:
I didn’t do a carved cake because I didn’t think Special K would want fondant
Sunday, Wizard and I went to breakfast then spent the rest of the day with Oldest, Special K and Turbo, and Youngest son came by to play with Turbo for a while. We had ribs and chicken for dinner. And speaking of Turbo, I knew he wouldn’t care for the lemon cake, he’s a chocolate lover like his grandma. But I have bunch of various sprinkles, so I gave him some ice cream and let him pick any sprinkles he wanted for his topping. He loved it!
Oh and Grandpa watched Turbo while the Youngest took me, Oldest son and Special K on a Jeep ride. When we got back–you had to see it, Wizard and Turbo are both sitting still and innocent on the couch. Like I mean they were doing nothing. Turbo doesn’t do nothing. That kid has the energy of a tornado. Special K walked in, looked at both their faces, and her mom-radar kicked in. “Okay, Turbo, what did grandpa give you?”
“A cookie,” he promptly answered.
Evidently, Grandpa and Turbo had Oreos while we were gone. We all laughed. For the record, Grandpa gave him one cookie, and that’s perfectly fine. But they really need to work on their innocent act, LOL!
This week is packed with various appointments like Maggie’s vet, hair appointment, the dentist, my mammogram and other stuff. It just all landed on the same week but that’s how life goes sometimes.
So that was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, October 15th, 2021
TGIF! Let hop right into sharing five random things about our week;
- It was a generally frustrating week for a few reasons.
- My computer starting running slow yesterday online. I’m trying to figure out if it’s the internet or my browser. I’m going to tackle that again today. If it’s the browser, that’s all fixable. My McAfee assures me all is well there, but of course, things can slip through that protection. And my computer is old, so we’ll see.
- The community mailbox on our street was broken into, so we all have to pick up our mail at the post office. I went this week to grab our mail, and when I came out I passed two sheriffs on horseback. It was both cool and funny. I have so many questions…my first being where the blazes are they keeping those horses? I’ve been to the police station (both police and sheriff work out of there) and have not seen a stable. That particular day had been a run around stress day, and that one moment of walking by the two officers on gorgeous horses made me smile. I’m going to assume these are happy, well adjusted horses who like their job. They weren’t shying or showed obvious signs of distress as cars and the usual city noises flowed around them. But I’m inexperienced with horses so I’m not a good judge, but still…they seemed happy enough to me.
- We’ve tried and tried to find toys Maggie likes. She’ll play for less than a minute then stop. I finally found something she likes a bit more — a puppy chew bone that’s rubbery. She only chews on it a few minutes, but that’s like 10 times longer than the other toys, and it turns up in different places in the house so she carries it around. This makes me weirdly happy. One day I’ll find something non-edible she she flat out loves (besides me, LOL)!
- Last I heard, we’re having Turbo and his mom and dad over this weekend to celebrate Special K’s birthday. She wants ribs and lemon cake, and I’m looing forward to that.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
Wednesday, October 13th, 2021
Wow, I am exhausted. I hit a hard wall Tuesday afternoon, and it’s been a while since I felt like this. We’ve had a lot going on, but today things will calm (famous last words, LOL!)
Today I want to talk about Halloween. Do you like it? Hate it? Or just don’t care?
Maggie, our dog, LOVES Halloween. So when we got her in October four years ago as a foster dog, Maggie was submissive, unsure and skittish. She trusted me almost from the start, but was unsure of most others. Then Halloween night when kids starting coming to the door, Maggie lit up. It was the first time we’d seen her radiating that pure, sweet doggy joy. She was so excited, she’d deer hop to the door with us, wag her tails and greet the kids. Then she’d look at us with wonder in her eyes, like wow, they came to see me! She literally wore herself out running back and forth with either myself or Wizard. So Maggie definitely loves Halloween.
Wizard and I both love Halloween too. We enjoyed it as kids going trick or treating, as young parents taking out kids out while making sure someone was home to hand out candy to all the neighborhood kids, and going to adult parties. Once our kids grew up, we still love giving out candy. All three of our kids love doing it too.
For us, Halloween has a little magic in it.
How about you?
Monday, October 11th, 2021
The weekend was fun but a little lonely with Wizard gone. I stayed home and worked on a cake. I’m also fighting off a minor illness (not viral, a stupid infection) that I’ll have to go see the doctor for today if it doesn’t clear up overnight.
So the cake–the short version is that I made a rock then put a dragon on it. Well it’s supposed to be dragon
The rock is stacked and carved cake covered in a combination of fondant and modeling chocolate. The fact that the cake didn’t collapse mildly surprised me as I didn’t have the proper dowel rods or thick straws normally used to support this kind of cake. Cake is a lot heavier that you might imagine. Anyhow, I used flimsy straws as support, but hey, it worked! Although I wouldn’t try transporting this cake anywhere–the could end in a major mess, LOL. The dragon I made from rice krispie treats covered in more of the fondant/modeling chocolate combination. The wings are edible rice paper and floral wire. There was a lot of hand-panting too.
There’s a lot of room for improvement Like the fact that he doesn’t have a mouth, LOL. I’m not a fan of the wings, and the body needs work. However I learned a lot and had fun. But whew, that cake was two days of work. I don’t know how the professionals do it! My next cake is relatively simple one for my daughter-in-law’s birthday so that will be nice.
I haven’t talked about writing because it’s tiresome to hear my struggles and I’m thinking hard about what I really want to do. So I’ll let that hang there.
So that sums up my weekend, how as yours?
P.S. Maggie says Hi <insert manic tail wagging>.