Monday, September 20th, 2021
Wow, this weekend got away from me, LOL. First, though, Maggie seems to be feeling better after her abscess. I’ll know more after I take her to her followup vet appointment late Tuesday afternoon. For now, we’ve released her from the cone of shame.
Okay. so Saturday I meant to write, but then, I wanted to make sugar cookies for Turbo too. He’s really into police cars, and of course, I didn’t have a police car cookie cutter. So I thought I’d handcraft one of out of fondant. Trying to make a miniature police car in 2D to go on top of a cookie is a little crazy, especially since drawing anything isn’t my forte, LOL. It came out like this:
And this is Turbo’s face when I gave it to him:
The rest of the cookies, I made with a marbled icing and topped with sprinkles. It ended up being a day long project. But I had a lot of fun, and since my “audience” is three years old, he thinks I did an amazing job
Note to self: Buy a police car cookie cutter ASAP!
Sunday we went out to see Turbo and that sucked up most of our day. But it’s all worth it when he comes running to the door to greet us, and is sad when we leave.
So that was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, September 17th, 2021
TGIF and Happy Friday! Let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week.
- My web guru did a major cleanup on my site a few weeks ago, and the blog scheduler was working great for weeks. Then it stopped this week. It’s has to be trolls trying to aggravate me.
- Poor Maggie reneged on our deal. I told her that if she didn’t lick her wound (from the abscess that pretty much burst open–it’s not pretty), I wouldn’t put her in the cone of shame. She wouldn’t do it in front of me, or if she started too, all I had to say was “Don’t do it,” and she’d stop. However I can’t watch her every minute, and the wound is driving her nuts. So yesterday I went to Petsmart and bought the dreaded cone of shame. It had to be done.
- Maggie, for all her sweetness, isn’t dumb. It only took her a couple hours to figure out how to pop it off. That dog went up to my room, found a spot between a chair and a wall and rubbed it until it unsnapped and fell off. Then she trotted downstairs a happy girl. It took everything I had NOT TO LAUGH. I mean, kudos to her for figuring it out. However, I raised 3 boys so yeah, the cone is back and this time I locked that sucker down. We’ll see what happens. We are keeping this cone on her only as long as absolutely necessary and I’m not super stressed about it. The good news is it’s a fairly small cone and not as miserable as the one she had to wear after surgery to remove the bladder stones.
- So it’s been a week. The car accident and problems with that, Maggie’s abscess, vet issues, a bunch of other crap and then Tuesday around the stroke of midnight, the smoke alarm malfunctioned. Wizard and I both knew what it was, but the trick was finding which freaking smoke alarm it was. We have 5 of them upstairs, one in each bedroom and the hallway. So both of us are running from room to room tying to ascertain which one is trying to make our brains bleed. Finally we found it, and I ran downstairs to get the step stool. Maggie was in her kennel, laying down with her head resting on her paws, watching me with an expression that I can only describe as, Humans are idiots. She’s not wrong.
- If Maggie’s doing okay, then I’m going to go see Turbo and his parents on Sunday while Wizard is racing. But I’m playing that by ear. If I stay home, maybe I can concentrate on writing.
So that’s my five random things and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, September 15th, 2021
It’s just that kind of week. You all know about Wizard’s minor car accident this weekend. (Wizard is fine–no one was hurt) So we’ve been knee deep in insurance stuff and figuring out how to get repairs organized, and how to rearrange things when we’re down to one car for a while. Then late Monday afternoon, we noticed Maggie was “off.” By 5 or 6, we realized she had a problem on her hind end. Most dog owners know this one Dogs have glands back there that can fill and have to be expressed by someone who knows what they’re doing.
But by 9 o’clock that night, she was panting, pacing and biting herself in discomfort. All I had to give her was Benadryl, and two careful doses later, she was able to relax enough to go in her kennel and either rest or sleep.
The next morning, I saw a lump on her hind end and knew that wasn’t good. I took her for a short walk–only because it would help her relieve herself. She tried to go, and sure enough, the “lump” in that area broke open.
In other words, she had an infected abscess that burst.
As soon as her vet’s office opened, I called. They told me they had no appointments available until at least Saturday. I begged for help and they told me to call around and find another vet to see her. So I did. The very next vet I called worked her in immediately, and saw her by 9am. She confirmed that Maggie had an abscess that burst. The crazy thing is I heard Maggie yelp a little big when they had to treat her (it had to be done). And right after that, the vet said she was running around the back office, super friendly and wagging her tail. They said she’s a sweet girl despite being sick and in so much pain.
And that’s why I didn’t know Maggie was sick. She’s so sweet and brave, she just doesn’t show it until we’re at the serious stage. I love and appreciate her great attitude, I mean that. But I just wish she’d let me know when she’s in pain. It kills me that I let this get so far. But she will be okay. We have her on antibiotics and pain meds, treating her with warm compresses, and we’re watching her carefully. I will take her back to the vet that saw her in a week.
As for her normal vet. I love the doctor, and the techs. But there’s other stuff going on there, and I didn’t build a four year relationship with them to have them pull this when Maggie needs them. I understand they couldn’t get her into their schedule to see her yesterday, but they could have at the very least, suggested other vet’s to call, or given me the location of an emergency clinic to take her to. So I’m re-evaluating that situation.
I hope all of you are having a good day!
Monday, September 13th, 2021
My blog didn’t post as scheduled So I’m adding in here the little tidbit that Wizard came home from racing right after I wrote this, and he’d been sideswiped on the freeway. Wizard’s fine, but our Ford Edge is banged up. When I saw it, it gave me a chill. I could see where the guy turned into him, slid down the length then hit the edge of our bumper and pried it off a little. I am so grateful that didn’t cause Wizard to swerve into other traffic–remember this is the freeway where cars are going 70 miles an hour. It would have been bad, so while this is irritating, the important thing is Wizard (and others who could have been hurt) is fine. It also looks like the guy who hit him doesn’t have insurance as far as we can tell, but that’s why we have uninsured motorist.
Okay, if you’re still with me, here’s the blog I originally wrote:
So I might have a problem…
I made a fondant elephant. He turned out cute. Then I tried Eeyore…umm…I liked the ears, LOL. He’s a sad-looking Eeyore, but there are a few things I did well so I’ll call it a positive learning experience.
After that I remembered the leftover cakes in my freezer. And then I decided it’d be fun to just see what I might come up with using only what I had in the house. This is what I ended up with:
Even with all it’s flaws, I love this cake because it’s the first one I created with just a theme and using what I had on hand. So I molded some white chocolate, then made a few fondant cutouts, painted them, then did the cake from my head, not an image I’d seen. It was a lot of fun. The only think I forgot was to add some of the blue icing into my white so it would have blended more into an ombre. Otherwise, it’s what I was going for, just a fun, sea-themed cake.
In other news, my dress didn’t fit. I refused to waste time being sad, and ordered a different one. I’ll return the ill-fitting dress this week.
This will sound silly, but in all my writing frustration, I stopped reading (although I continued to listen to audiobooks). By this weekend, I missed reading romance. I pulled up Silver Silence by Nalini Singh, started reading and enjoyed it. In fact, when I’m finished writing this blog, I’m going to read some more. I’d have sworn I read all her early Psy-Changeling books, but this one’s not ringing a bell, at least not yet. Anyway, this is baby steps, but I’m trying to recapture my commitment and passion for writing.
So that was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, September 10th, 2021
TGIF! I can’t believe it’s Friday again! Okay lets jump into sharing five random things around our week. Here’s mine:
- I wrote a page yesterday in Primal Magic. One page and I’m okay with that.
- On Wednesday, Wizard made gook on his promise to Turbo and went to see him. Turbo was so happy to have Grandpa come so he could show him his Lego police cars that he forgot to bring on Monday. Wizard also brought him a new police car because obviously, Turbo can’t have too many of them. They had such a good time together. I had to stay home and wait for a delivery, but I also wanted Wizard to have the one-on-one time. Turbo stayed home from preschool for a couple days for minor sniffles. They have very strict rules on illnesses at preschool, which is understandable.
- Most of you may have seen it on my FB, but I made a monkey out of fondant–it was actually my second attempt and a little better than my pig. I’m enjoying the challenge, and each time I figure out more about how to make 3D figures. Biker Witch asked me to try making an Eeyore so I may give it a shot this weekend. I need a LOT of practice, LOL.
- I found a dress on Nordstrom’s Rack for a crazy good price ($39.00!) on Nordstrom’s Rack yesterday and ordered it. They only had one size left and it may be small, but it’s worth a try. This will be for my niece’s wedding in November. I sure as heck don’t want to go out and try on clothes again.
- I really, REALLY need to clean out my closet. A lot of my dresses have been shrunken by the closet trolls (or the cakes and cookies I may have eaten), but I’m having a hard time getting rid of them. Same with some shirts. I need to give up the dream that I will suddenly wake up young, skinny and able to wear everything in my closet. To my credit, I have gotten rid of most of my high heels.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, September 8th, 2021
I was going to talk about writing, but I just don’t want to I am planning to show up at the computer today and see if something happens on the writing front, but that’s all I have to say about that subject right now.
Instead, let’s talk about what YOU enjoy on social media.
For me, I love posts about people’s lives and hobbies, their kids, grandkids and animals, plus sites about cake decorating (my current obsession) and any positive, fun post. I enjoy author’s posts about their work and characters too. But I’ve long fallen out of habit of posting, and I’m kind of lost.
So what do you enjoy on social media?
Monday, September 6th, 2021
To all those celebrating in the U.S. Happy Labor Day! I hope all who have the day off enjoy it with those you love. Today, CPA Boy, Special K and Turbo are coming over to swim. Youngest will come by too. Middle is camping with his wife and friends.
My weekend was good. Saturday I went to Special Ks and she drove to my niece’s bridal shower. That was lovely. My niece is a sweet, smart and accomplished young woman marrying a wonderful man. I’m looking forward to their wedding in November. I also really appreciate Special K “taking” me so I didn’t have to navigate to an area I’m unfamiliar with. I’m perfectly capable of getting myself where ever I need to go, but I was happy I didn’t need to do it Plus I love being able to hang out with Special K.
I also got to see Turbo for a few minutes and he carefully showed me every detail of the Lego police car he built with his dad. I don’t know why this made me happy, it just did. It’s the small moments sometimes. Uncaring of my heels and dress, I crouched down to examine this very important Lego police car because my grandson is very proud of it. And of course, we had to see how fast it goes and discuss how many bad guys the police car can catch. FYI the answer is–all the bad guys
Sunday Wizard was off racing with his friends, so I did errands, and tried making a fondant pig. Um…well…okay, I tried and that counts right?
It’s okay to laugh! I’m learning. One thing I discovered is my cheap plastic fondant tools suck, LOL. That’s okay, I planned to buy good ones if I enjoy it. Each brand of fondant is different, and I’m learning how to get the consistency right, how to add Tylose powder so it will stiff and dry firm, and how long I have to form things before it begins to dry and crack. Plus I’ve never ever made 3D figures so there’s that. I’ll get better.
I also made the dough and formed chocolate peanut butter stuffed chocolate chip cookie and froze the dough balls. I’ll bake those in the morning. It may sound weird, but they bake better frozen.
So that was my weekend, how was yours?