Monday, May 23rd, 2022
It was a decent weekend. We went to see the house is progressing and it’s moving right on schedule so far. There will be delays at some point, but it’s so nice to feel like we’re getting closer.
I made Pistachio Drop Cookies with a white chocolate buttercream icing (I added some melted and cooled white chocolate to the frosting). They came out delicious! The cookies are pretty savory and the icing very sweet. It worked for us Wizard wants me to add theses to my Christmas cookies. I love how he assumes I’ll be making a bunch of cookies. I really should break down the cost of baking all these cookies and watch as his’ accountant’s heart battles his sweet tooth!
I spotted water on the counter behind the sink and mentally blamed Wizard. But once I got closer, I realized that was too much water for Wizard to not have noticed. He’d never leave a puddle like that. Then knowing it wasn’t me, and Maggie can’t reach the sink, I turned to the only other culprit possible — the dishwasher. I called Wizard to the rescue. He took off the hose, cleaned it out, made sure it wasn’t kinked, and it’s working great now. Even so, Wizard is going to replace the hose this week just to be sure. So glad that was an easy fix since that dishwasher is relatively new.
Maggie and I went on a walk, following the road they are building behind our new house to where it just ends into rugged land and a runoff for the hills. Maggie and I felt like we’d reached the end of the rainbow, but we didn’t find a pot of gold, darn it. The day was in the high sixties and low seventies with clouds. We won’t have many more nice days like that — soon it’ll full on summer heat all day and night.
Oh and I get text updates from Biker Witch telling me how she and my niece and exploring all over the Hawaiian island they’re on. They are soooo lucky I love them!
So that was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, May 20th, 2022
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing 5 random things about our week.
- It’s been a longish week for different reasons. But all is well or will be by next week so let’s not dwell on that.
- We cleaned windows. We split it into two days, wanting to do an extra good job. I took the screens out front to wash them and brought Maggie out to help. Spoiler Alert: She didn’t help, she just sat and watched me work or moseyed around the grass. Maggie’s work ethic only kicks in if she’s chasing lizards or something fun like that. Otherwise, she’s a total slacker.
- I decided to go through a box of old letters from various friends over the years that I kept. I thought I’d toss them out, but instead I spent a couple hours reading through them all. I had to laugh at one consistent theme running through them all: Everyone kept apologizing for not writing back sooner. From what I surmised, I’d often send two letters to their one. I guess I was prolific letter writer back in the day??? It’s pretty funny given that I suck at even answering email these days. Also…I kept all the letters. I don’t know why, it just feels like a connection to old friends who moved away.
- My sister is in Hawaii. Someone is sulking because she’s not in Hawaii…um…Me! I’m sulking My sister is visiting her daughter, and here is where I should point out that her daughter is also my niece! But did my sister take me? No. And I get called the mean sister????? (I’m teasing, I’m thrilled for my sister! I want her to have the best trip ever and enjoy every moment with her daughter!)
- I’m reading a YA paranormal book and at the same time listening to an audio of another paranormal book. I’m rather impressed that I’m not confusing the two stories or characters! Sometimes I impress myself. But then I find myself standing in front of an open cupboard with no idea what I was searching for…that impressed feeling never lasts long, LOL!
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope all of us have the best weekend possible!
Wednesday, May 18th, 2022
At lunch yesterday, I was telling Wizard I’m so annoyed at a book, I want to teach a class on how to write tension into a book.
FYI: A misunderstanding is not a plot, and it does not create page-turning tension. See? I gave that little tidbit away for free!
But back to my story: When I told him that, Wizard immediately began mentally planning Zoom Classes and setting up a payment schedule. He had me up to teaching five different classes before I was able to interrupt long enough to inform him I wasn’t going to teach writing by Zoom right now. Boy, he was on a roll, LOL!!!
Last week, he was mentally drawing up plans to sell my cookies and cakes.
I’ve noticed that in all his big plans…I seem to be doing the work! When I pointed this out, he suggested that if I give him recipes he could bake my cookies and cakes. I’m tempted to do it and set up a little Witch vs. Wizard Bake & Taste Contest Wizard and I would have a blast even if we couldn’t find anyone to actually judge our efforts.
Wizard actually doesn’t want me to work right now. He’s just amusing himself.
So how’s your Wednesday going?
Monday, May 16th, 2022
A good, or at least, not bad weekend Saturday we went to see Turbo and his parents. Turbo’s doing great, and it was nice to get out. Sunday, Wizard went racing, and I had things I needed to get done at home. I got everything on my original list done, but I always want to do more
Today the plan is to go with Youngest son and his wife to San Diego for the day. We’d like to go on the USS Midway Museum, the harbor cruise and lunch but we’ll see how the day goes.
I started in listening to a set of books titled Beechwood Harbor Magic Series. It’s light, and pretty easy to follow, which is perfect for me as I’m sorting, packing and cleaning. I wouldn’t say it’s a page turner, but I love the narrator and find her kind of soothing. Which is good when I’m going through boxes of stuff from my parents and brother who’ve passed on years ago. And inhaling centuries of dust, LOL! Wow, those boxes I store stored out of sight on top shelves collected an impressive amount of dust, and I hadn’t even realized it. I’m re-evaluating just how “clean” I actually keep the house
So that’s my weekend, how was yours?
Thursday, May 12th, 2022
**I have to post this early on Thursday because my blog scheduler keeps timing out.
TGIF! Let’s all share five random things about our week!
- My scratched eye is much better. I’m leery about put in contacts though. I may wait another day as it’s still dry and easily annoyed. But that first day it swelled 3/4s shut, so this is a huge and welcomed improvement.
- Wizard and I are cleaning up as much as we can, getting the house as ready as it’s going to be for market. Yesterday we laid the new bark. It’s interesting to do it on a hill while trying to stay balanced. I’m happy to report, no one fell! While I pretty regularly walk into walls that have been there for twenty years, my balance is very good. The fresh bark looks fresh and clean. We do this every couple years, but not quite so much at once. Note to self: Maybe don’t do a mile walk plus yoga before big physical projects!
- When we had our old house on the market, I was insane trying to keep it perfectly clean with three boys. I don’t have the energy to do that again. Good enough will have to do. Plus Wizard picks up after himself and will help with the rest so it should work out.
- It’s going to be a bad fire year. We already had a fire in Laguna Nigel (not by us) that took out more than 20 homes. Wizard and I were watching it on breaking news. While the day wasn’t too hot, the winds kicked up and the fire raced up a hill right into a track of homes in less than a couple hours. The firefighters were doing all they could, but they couldn’t stop it. New Mexico is burning too. It’s all so terrible. What’s really frustrating is that some of these tragic fires are caused by either careless people or awful people who like causing destruction and death. Those are the ones that make me sick and furious. To end this on a bit of good news — a frantic woman told a firefighter her cat was in one of the houses being threatened, and the firefighter got the cat out for her.
- Let’s lighten up with a fun story: I have a stuffed Koala bear sitting on a chair in our exercise room. Maggie goes in there once in a while, grabs the bear and throws him down the stairs. Other times she just knocks him off the chair and leaves. It’s funny because she never gets into anything else. She just has it in for the Koala bear. Maybe he’s mean to her when I’m not looking? (Just an FYI, I don’t care if she wants to play with the bear or I’d have told her no.)
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone have a great weekend!
Wednesday, May 11th, 2022
So I did something to my left eye. It’s probably just a scratch, maybe from my contacts. There’s a good chance it’ll be much better by today. At least I hope it will be as I have a 9am doctor appointment it took me weeks to get. I need to be able to drive I’ve worn contacts for decades and never had anything like this. But life is full of new experiences, LOL. If it’s this bad tomorrow, I’ll go to the doctors just to rule any bigger problem. On the upside, I managed to get grocery shopping and helping Wizard remove old bark from a large front hill done before the eye got really, non-stop watering and unable to keep it open, irritated.
So how’s your Wednesday going?
Monday, May 9th, 2022
Such a nice weekend! Since Youngest invited us over, it gave me an excuse to bake cookies I make non-diary lemon cookies and non-diary peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. We went over to youngest house, and had a great time. Daughter in law’s mom and sister were there along with her niece and nephew. It was one of those stress-free relaxing afternoons, and we both really like DIL’s family. I also took their dog, Phoebe, her new toys. She loved them, but first she just wanted me to pet her and tell her she’s pretty–only then did she take her toys to her bed and play with them. I love a dog with priorities.
Youngest and DIL gave me a Bromeliad plant with a gorgeous orange flower. Youngest told me it’s for the new house and not to kill it, LOLOL! I know he’s not joking, so I may send him a proof of life picture daily just to prove I’ve managed to keep it alive. Unless it dies…but I’m trying! I’ve read up on it and everything. Eventually, I’ll find a really nice pot for it and replant it. I’m also trying to think of a name for the plant. Wizard is like… “Are you serious?” Yep
Oldest and Middle both called too, and it’s always great to talk to them. All the boys (and their wives!) are always a phone call away, which is the best gift for any mom or or dad, I think.
Wizard and I went to check out the framed house. It’s really coming along. The estimated date for closing is mid-August but delays are very likely. We’re just planning the best we can and trying not to stress of the things we can’t control.
Otherwise, the weekend was filled with too much food and hanging out with Maggie.
How was your weekend and Mother’s Day?