Friday, September 20th, 2019
Wow I’m tired! It’s been a good week, just somehow busy. Let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- The weather has cooled a bit so we haven’t had to run the air for a few days. Love it!
- I’ve written a bit this week, and can see slow but definite improvement in my concentration. I don’t want to jinx it though so enough said.
- We spent yesterday with out-of-state old friends that we see about once a decade. It was fantastic to see them! We went to lunch on the patio of a winery in Temecula, then visited a couple other wineries, and ended our day having some wine and a cheese plate on the patio of the final winery. We saved the best winery for last, and it was lovely up there on the patio overlooking the hills in 80 degree weather. It was a wonderful day, with perfect weather and great friends.
- Poor Wizard was once again our designated driver. Which meant I was the designated watchdog (NAG!! ) to make sure he only had a few sips of wine. Wizard is such a good sport about being the DD. And I just have to say, these days, we leave Maggie for about six hours alone in the house and she’s absolutely fine. I really appreciate that, overall, she’s such a low maintenance dog.
- This weekend…stuff is going on because it always is
That was some of my week, now I’d love to hear five random things about yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, September 18th, 2019
Is this true for anyone else? Or am I the only one out there talking to myself?
Monday, September 16th, 2019
Another weekend zoomed by.
Saturday, I baked all day, while Wizard was at Youngest Son’s house, helping him out on stuff. Then Wizard came home, picked me and Maggie up, we grabbed some food, and headed back to Youngest’s house for dinner. It sure is nice having one of the kids lives so close by!
CPA Boy and Special K’s housewarming party turned out really fun! It was a long day, but worth it and great to see extended family. CPA Boy’s two brothers and some of their cousins were both outside playing with Turbo (my grandson) so mom and dad could set up the food. That was fine, but I went outside to check, and they had pulled out the hose and filled up Turbo’s standing water toy. Turbo was having a great time splashing and generally getting soaked! I cracked up, but I but let Special K know–it’s a mom-courtesy thing, I’d want to know what my 17 month old son is doing, and I know Special K does too. She went out and checked, then just shrugged, let them all play and went back to her task of entertaining. Once I brought him in, Turbo’s parents quickly washed him off, changed his clothes and didn’t even blink an eye at the fact that he got soaking wet playing in water in the middle of a party. I was really pleased to see how chill they were about it. They were happy his uncles and adult cousins were all playing with him.
If anyone’s interested, the lemon bars and Twix cookies came out pretty good. They are time-consuming because they have to be done in layers. The lemon bars have a shortbread base which is baked first, then lemon custard topping that is poured over it and baked again. Those came out very lemony-tart and good if you enjoy lemon. The Twix bars are three layers: the shortbread base which is baked and cooled, then the caramel layer, then the chocolate layer. Here’s the recipes:
Umm…the one downside of baking is I have some extra Twix bars in my house and no will power. Send help, or at least a heavy dose of self control I froze the extra lemon bars so I’m safe from that threat.
So that was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, September 13th, 2019
Howdy and TGIF! Okay let’s dive right into sharing five things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I went shopping and had lunch with Biker Witch (my sister) yesterday. We had a good time, she’s doing well after her major back surgery two months ago, and that makes me very happy.
- Here’s my shopping find that I splurged a whole $5.00 plus tax for: He’s perfect for one of the two bare spots on my mantle that need a little color. I love my elephant!
- Wizard and I ran errands separately the other day and ended up coming home at the exact same time. When we came in the house, Maggie was acting a little weird, staying excited longer than usual and trying to get us to pay attention to her. We’re like, “Dude, chill out.” Then Wizard went outside, talked to a neighbor and discovered that there was a 4.0 earthquaker centered right in our town–which means it felt pretty danged strong. Wizard and I didn’t feel it because we were both driving when it happened. We both sincerely believe that Maggie had been trying to tell us that something happened while we were gone.
- CPA Boy and Special K are having a housewarming party this Sunday. I’d asked Special K what I could do to help and she suggested I bring a dessert, like lemon bars. I’m thrilled to do it, and of course, I figured if one dessert is good, then I should make two so people have a choice. That’s completely logical, right? I’ve decided to make lemon bars and Twix bars, which I ran by Special K to make sure it works for her. I even ordered a special brownie pan with removable dividers that looks like this: I’m weirdly excited about this pan, LOL! I’m hoping that if I use enough bakers spray, I can get the Twix bars with its caramel center to cut nicely. I really want uniform bars that look nice.
- I already told Wizard that if the bars don’t come out right, I’ll toss them in the trash. I have to say that Wizard’s loud snort of laughter was just rude, and very hypocritical since he’s much more of a perfectionist than I am. Also, the fact that I bought the ingredients for my backup dessert of easy red velvet brownies just in case something goes wrong is completely normal, and not at all like a perfectionist :-). I really have been having a great time planning this, buying all the ingredients, and am looking forward to a baking marathon on Saturday. I very pleased Special K asked me to do it. And all teasing aside, if for some reason the lemon and/or Twix bars don’t come out and I run out of time to make my backup dessert, I’d just stop at the store on the way and buy cookies or brownies. It’s taken me a couple of decades, but I have finally learned life is too short to get truly upset over stuff like a failed batch or two of desserts.
So that’s my week and weekend. Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! Everyone have a great weekend!
Wednesday, September 11th, 2019
Hi guys, it’s me, Maggie!
I’m here to set the record straight. On Monday my mom told a story…and guys…she made it sound like I’m some sort of crazed lizard killer-plus-eater. That’s totally an exaggeration. I mean, yeah, I’m super good at playing hide-and-seek and chase with my lizard friends. And I catch them in my mouth because I don’t have any thumbs or hands, so duh, how else would I catch them? But I don’t eat them.
That’s why I’m here to show you all the real story that I’m a really good girl. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? This is me on my special mat where I wait while mom or Wizard-dad makes my dinner.
And sometimes, when they don’t remember how to tell time, I sit on the mat to remind them that it’s time for dinner.
Now would a crazed lizard killer-plus-eater do that? And notice that my mom didn’t post any pictures, so clearly, I’m giving you a much more accurate story, am I right?
Thanks for letting me set the record straight!
Monday, September 9th, 2019
Good weekend! Saturday was Turbo day. I went to watch him in swim lessons, which is really cute. Turbo is in a small group of toddler beginners, and it’s all about making them comfortable in water with little games they play with one of their parents. It’s all under the watchful eye of a coach, and there’s no pressure on the kids, which in my view, is perfect. Water safety is a process that truly takes years.
Once we arrived home, Maggie showed me a game she likes to call, “Lizard Cardio.”
I am not amused by this game.
It began when we arrived home, and I took Maggie outside, because foolish human that I am, I thought after six hours, she’d need a bathroom break. Maggie had other ideas and promptly caught a big, black, scaly lizard. Then she proudly showed me this creature twitching in her smiling mouth.
I responded rationally by jumping up and down and yelling, “Drop it! Maggie! Drop it! I mean Leave it! Maggie!”
**FYI, Wizard heard all this, and ignored it. He was unloading the car, and had thought Maggie brought a lizard in the house. He did not come rescue me or the house, but stayed in the garage, hiding. Later, he admitted this and laughed at me. Some hero he is. NOT. **
Anyhow, at my shrill screams, Maggie dropped the creature. The lizard just laid there on it’s back, as if begging for CPR. Um, no. I looked at Maggie and said in one lower octave than ear-splitting panic, “Leave it” and “stay.” So she just casually stood here, totally chill and watching me. I turned away to grab a bucket to cover the lizard until I could get Maggie in the house, and then dispose of it. But the
damn darn bucket was covered in spider webs. EWWWW! Now I added wild arm gyrations to get the webs off me to this game of Lizard Cardio. Finally I picked up the damn darn bucket and turned.
The lizard was gone.
I glared at Maggie.
She looked back with wide, innocent brown eyes. She didn’t appear to have moved. So I chose to believe the lizard had been playing dead and escaped. It was probably under the trash can but I wasn’t about to look. I gingerly, and with only two fingers, held the bucket out and dropped it back into the web infestation so as not to get tangled in that disgusting, sticky mess again. Done with all creatures, I stomped into the house.
Maggie stayed out to stare at the trash can where she believed the lizard to be. Or she had eaten the thing in one swallow and was just trying to convince me she hadn’t. I didn’t know, and I didn’t care at that point. I was done. So in the house, I washed my hands of all the gross things, and strode to the fridge to get out a Diet Coke because I NEED CAFFEINE AND A NEW LIFE. Obviously.
I started to open the bottle when I felt something with multiple tiny legs crawling on my shoulder. I look down and SPIDER!!
Another round of frantic Lizard Cardio ensued. For the record, I HATE THIS GAME!
Anyway, long story short, I have a lizard-hunting dog for sale. Any takers? No? Sigh…yeah, I know, I promised to love and care for her despite her dogness. This lizard thing our my fault, we let it happen and she now thinks it’s her job to guard the outside perimeter from lizards. And seriously, having a job keeps busy and well-adjusted. She doesn’t bark, show anxiety, chew up any other stuff or cause any trouble. She’s just a happy girl who enjoys her dubious hobby of lizard hunting. I sure didn’t know she’d good she’d get at catching the critters!
Sunday was fine. I had a French toast mishap that totally irritated me, but I’m tough and didn’t let it ruin my day After that Wizard went racing and I worked on my book. Ideas are sprouting like an uncontrollable forest fire, and I’m running around with a tiny extinguisher desperately trying to get control. But so far I haven’t encountered a single lizard or spider in the story so I’m perfectly happy fighting this firestorm of a story.
That was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, September 6th, 2019
To all the people dealing with hurricane, I hope you’re safe! It’s been awful, and I’m worried. Also, we have a dangerous fire (possibly started by lightning) in the next city that is threatening homes and lives. Natural Disasters need to stop! Human’s create enough misery with nature flexing her frightening power.
Okay let’s jump right into my five random things about my week:
- This week, I’ve been trying to clean the house by myself, hoping to wean off the once-a-month house cleaners. But my shoulder and neck are not happy. We will see if my stubborn pride or common sense wins. Right now, I’m rooting for my stubborn pride, LOL
- I’ve wanted to go to Costco for years but i’m too cheap to pay the $60.00 membership fee. I resent paying a retailer for the privilege of spending my money in their store. Hmm…I’m starting to see a pattern of cheapness.
- Heat and humidity suck. But on the upside, Wizard bought me a chocolate bar.
- I am writing a little this week. Still revising before pushing onto writing second half of book. My biggest advice to writers, and the advice I wish I’d freaking learn write a crappy first draft straight through no matter how bad it is. My perfectionist side is a mouthy, annoying, editorializing and demeaning bitch who won’t shut the hell up and let me write. And she ruins books. Truly. Also, she has a potty mouth
- This weekend, I’m finally going to see my grandson, Turbo, at swimming lessons! I’ve wanted to do this for weeks, so I’m happy. Wizard is planning to go too, unless one of the other kids needs him. Wizard is in demand these days!
That’s my five random things, now I’d love to hear yours! Everyone, please stay safe and have a good weekend!