Monday, June 1st, 2020
What a sad week and weekend in the U.S. I care deeply, and am as affected as most of us. However, I managed a small self-inflicted injury yesterday that gave me a small headache so I’ll just skip ahead to some lighthearted stuff.
Friday night we saw Middle Son for his birthday. I think it’s been nearly eight weeks since we’ve seen him, or something like that. It was wonderful. I made him lemon pound cake (his favorite), his lovely wife made salad and picked up some pizza–it was perfected. And I got to hang out their awesome dogs, Jett and Hazel.
Saturday we went to CPA Boy’s. I babysat Turbo, while they repainted the patio cover. As soon as we got there, I said, “Turbo, let’s go play trucks.” He took my hand, ran in his room and we played the entire two hours. So Turbo stands up, bends at the waist to hold his trucks on the ground and runs with them across the house. He wanted Grandma to do this, and of course, I did. I was rather impressed with myself–until my daughter-in-law popped her head in, saw me, and tried so hard to resist laughing at how silly and undignified I looked.
She failed….I saw her laughter. And that made me laugh Honesty, her expression–priceless!
Sunday, we returned so Wizard could help them stretch a new canvas covering over the repainted patio cover. I was playing with Turbo, when I jogged to catch him at a doorway, scooped him up in one arm, and tripped. Turbo was fine! I had him secured, and caught myself with my other foot before I fell very far. Unfortunately my face forgot to stop, and hit a doorknob. I now have a black eye. Sigh. This was me yesterday, after Wizard encouraged me to lay down. I’m sure it’ll be more colorful tomorrow.
CPA Boy said, “Mom, why did I inherit your goofiness?” Ummm…I don’t think that was a compliment?
Anyway, I’m fine, just irritated at myself.
I hope everyone is safe and okay. I’m worried about you all. Please check in and let me know how you are, and how your weekend was.
Friday, May 29th, 2020
TGIF! Jumping right into Friday Five:
- I’m trying to write the black moment and climax of the book, but flailing around. Plus it’s been a busy week, limiting my writing time. But I’m happy just to feel the drive to tell the story, and to be able to plant my butt in the chair and concentrate enough to write. Writing feels like a gift I truly cherish.
- I saw Biker Witch yesterday, which was great. We got a coffee and walked around Target. Of course, it’s a little awkward with masks to both drink coffee and talk. But it was great to see her.
- I bought a little set of herbs to try and grow. Pity the Basil, Oregano and Rosemary that ended up with me as their adopted mom, LOL!
- Today is Middle Son’s birthday. We’re going to see him tonight, and I’m making him his favorite lemon pound cake. I can’t wait to see him, his wife and two dogs!
- Tomorrow, Wizard is going to help Oldest paint a patio cover. I brilliantly volunteered to watch Turbo so I could have him all to myself. However, I suspect Turbo is going to insist on seeing what dad and grandpa are doing. I’ll have fun, even if I share my grandson
That’s five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear yours. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy weekend!
Wednesday, May 27th, 2020
I had this plan. I ordered special cookie cutters in the shape of construction trucks, some gel color and meringue powder for royal icing, and prayed they’d get here by Sunday as promised.
I was going to DAZZLE Turbo with my amazing decorating skills. I had a PLAN!
But, since Turbo is 2 years old and wouldn’t be picky, I also had a shortcut in mind. I’d use store bought rolled sugar cookie dough. And as a bonus, it’s dairy free so my other son could also eat them. This is a win-win!
So all my stuff showed up on time, and I got started. I preheated the oven, put parchment paper on my cookies sheets, got out my flour, rolling pin and the cookies cutters. The cookies looked great going into the oven…
…and they came out of the oven as big, flat blobs. The store bought dough spread while baking into…ugly blobs.
Oops. I hadn’t even considered how store bought dough might spread. LOLOL I’m sorry I didn’t take a picture, they were really sad looking. I spent more time trying to turn the blobs into chocolate dipped cookies…but the chocolate I’d ordered was the wrong stuff–some organic mystery chocolate that would not set up (harden). I tossed the whole mess, and in the morning, ran to the store and picked up a bakery box of cookies. Problem solved. Even better, my daughter- in-law brought some cookies she made, and those were perfect so it was all good.
The day with Turbo and family was a blast. Turbo is getting really comfortable in the pool. Fortunately, we’re all on the same page about pool safety with a toddler. Oh, and I bought Turbo some pool toys, including these little water guns. Wizard said he wouldn’t be able to do it, HA!! Turbo loved shooting water at his dad and Grandpa. I have him on video saying, “Grandpa come here.” Then shooting him and laughing. Turbo and Grandpa are so amazing together.
Of course, also on video are my two sons jumping into the pool and soaking me, then laughing maniacally. I hadn’t gone underwater just because I had my contacts in, but I knew I’d end up soaked. And I may have started it by shooting them with the water guns
Life has taught me to not sweat little things like cookies not turning out. I’ll make the special cookies another time. Being in the moment with those we love is the most important thing.
So how’re things going with you?
Monday, May 25th, 2020
To all in the U.S., I hope you a good Memorial Day, and take a moment to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Please stay safe and healthy!
Thursday, May 21st, 2020
TGIF! Time to jump right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I can see the end of this book. I’m pretty close. It’ll need a lot of work, but after years of stops and starts in my struggle to write again, it feels pretty amazing. I’m now having trouble stopping work
- Fireworks went off the other night, scaring Maggie. She seemed okay until I told her to go to bed. Instead of running into her kennel, she raced upstairs to a small bed we have for her up there. She refused to come down when I called her, and I had to carry her to the kennel. That was strange, but she slept all night and seemed fine in the morning. Surely my sweet little dog wasn’t trying to manipulate me????
- Covid seems to be spiking in some areas of California. Unsurprisingly, its in one area where protesters held a rally, shoulder to shoulder with no masks, demanding the governor open the beaches. It’s all just sad. I would have understood a protest to go back to work, but was opening the beaches worth dying for (they’ve had their highest death rate the last two days as well)? I can totally respect disagreeing with methods and expression frustration, but can we just take some reasonable precautions as we learn to live with this? I’m just sad about this today. Not fearful, but plain sad.
- The heat is back!
- Turbo and his parents are coming over for Memorial day to swim. We are looking forward to that! Youngest will probably come by, and we’ve made plans to see Middle son next week. Next, I will figure out a safe way to see Biker Witch (my sister).
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020
Do any of these ring a bell for you?
Social Media Procrastinator
I’m Social Media Procrastinator every danged day (reading news and mindless FB scrolling in particular)
Cleaning Procrastinator sometimes, but less than I used to be.
And for Deadline Procrastinator, I’ve been there, done that and burned the T-shirt with the acid from my stomach ulcer
How about you? Do you resemble any or all of these?
Monday, May 18th, 2020
Friday–Wizard and I got deshagged with haircuts, and in my case, color. It feels nice. We did this with a friend, but are hoping salons will open soon. I trust my hairdresser to handle cleanliness, social distancing and masks. Later on Friday I make chewy chocolate cookies, and I made them small so Turbo can eat one (always with his parents permission, I never give him junk food unless his mom okays it).
Saturday, we went to Turbo’s house. First thing, Turbo and Grandpa disappeared to play trucks (Translation: Grandpa snuck off with Turbo while I was distracted, LOL) I sat at the table with Turbo’s parents for a quiet 15 minutes and remember that, oh yeah, they are fun to be with too Then we played outside and Turbo’s mom and dad said I could give Turbo a cookie. Here is is enjoying the cookie.
He loved it, and said, “Thank you Grandma: and “I love you Grandma.” I have it on video, which is basically a tutorial on “How to train Grandma to keep bringing me more homemade cookies.”
In the picture, you can see how long Turbo’s hair is, so since they are not taking him out, the four of us coaxed him through a hair cut with clippers. Now his hair is out of his face, and off ears and off his neck, he’ll be more comfortable for a while. That kid has a ton of hair!
Sunday I got a little writing done, but I’m feeling my way as I figure out the next one to three scenes before I spin off to the climax. I will keep going! Everything can be fixed later. Also Youngest and his wife stopped by to pick up his cookies (I was a busy baker this weekend, but managing to give most of them away.) Maggie is always sure they came to see HER!. She love, love, LOVES Youngest now.
Expanding our stay-at-home-isolation to include direct family has helped us to feel better. Now I just really miss seeing Middle Son, his wife and two dogs. But we’ll get there soon as we work out timing issues.
That was my weekend, how was yours?