Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, September 17th, 2021
TGIF and Happy Friday! Let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week.
- My web guru did a major cleanup on my site a few weeks ago, and the blog scheduler was working great for weeks. Then it stopped this week. It’s has to be trolls trying to aggravate me.
- Poor Maggie reneged on our deal. I told her that if she didn’t lick her wound (from the abscess that pretty much burst open–it’s not pretty), I wouldn’t put her in the cone of shame. She wouldn’t do it in front of me, or if she started too, all I had to say was “Don’t do it,” and she’d stop. However I can’t watch her every minute, and the wound is driving her nuts. So yesterday I went to Petsmart and bought the dreaded cone of shame. It had to be done.
- Maggie, for all her sweetness, isn’t dumb. It only took her a couple hours to figure out how to pop it off. That dog went up to my room, found a spot between a chair and a wall and rubbed it until it unsnapped and fell off. Then she trotted downstairs a happy girl. It took everything I had NOT TO LAUGH. I mean, kudos to her for figuring it out. However, I raised 3 boys so yeah, the cone is back and this time I locked that sucker down. We’ll see what happens. We are keeping this cone on her only as long as absolutely necessary and I’m not super stressed about it. The good news is it’s a fairly small cone and not as miserable as the one she had to wear after surgery to remove the bladder stones.
- So it’s been a week. The car accident and problems with that, Maggie’s abscess, vet issues, a bunch of other crap and then Tuesday around the stroke of midnight, the smoke alarm malfunctioned. Wizard and I both knew what it was, but the trick was finding which freaking smoke alarm it was. We have 5 of them upstairs, one in each bedroom and the hallway. So both of us are running from room to room tying to ascertain which one is trying to make our brains bleed. Finally we found it, and I ran downstairs to get the step stool. Maggie was in her kennel, laying down with her head resting on her paws, watching me with an expression that I can only describe as, Humans are idiots. She’s not wrong.
- If Maggie’s doing okay, then I’m going to go see Turbo and his parents on Sunday while Wizard is racing. But I’m playing that by ear. If I stay home, maybe I can concentrate on writing.
So that’s my five random things and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, September 10th, 2021
TGIF! I can’t believe it’s Friday again! Okay lets jump into sharing five random things around our week. Here’s mine:
- I wrote a page yesterday in Primal Magic. One page and I’m okay with that.
- On Wednesday, Wizard made gook on his promise to Turbo and went to see him. Turbo was so happy to have Grandpa come so he could show him his Lego police cars that he forgot to bring on Monday. Wizard also brought him a new police car because obviously, Turbo can’t have too many of them. They had such a good time together. I had to stay home and wait for a delivery, but I also wanted Wizard to have the one-on-one time. Turbo stayed home from preschool for a couple days for minor sniffles. They have very strict rules on illnesses at preschool, which is understandable.
- Most of you may have seen it on my FB, but I made a monkey out of fondant–it was actually my second attempt and a little better than my pig. I’m enjoying the challenge, and each time I figure out more about how to make 3D figures. Biker Witch asked me to try making an Eeyore so I may give it a shot this weekend. I need a LOT of practice, LOL.
- I found a dress on Nordstrom’s Rack for a crazy good price ($39.00!) on Nordstrom’s Rack yesterday and ordered it. They only had one size left and it may be small, but it’s worth a try. This will be for my niece’s wedding in November. I sure as heck don’t want to go out and try on clothes again.
- I really, REALLY need to clean out my closet. A lot of my dresses have been shrunken by the closet trolls (or the cakes and cookies I may have eaten), but I’m having a hard time getting rid of them. Same with some shirts. I need to give up the dream that I will suddenly wake up young, skinny and able to wear everything in my closet. To my credit, I have gotten rid of most of my high heels.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, August 20th, 2021
TGIF. Let’s jump right into sharing 5 random things about our week:
- Today Maggie is going to the vet for a urinalysis to check for crystals that form bladder stones and her rabies shot. Unfortunately, the rabies shot make her sick, but getting rabies is a lot worse than not feeling well for a day. She’s due for two more boosters, but we’ll do those in a couple months.
- I made a non-dairy chocolate cake from scratch that was good! My only note so far is that I should have used parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pans instead of just relying on my baking spray (that’s me being lazy, LOL). One of my 8 inch pans lost a couple chunks when I released them. On the upside–that gave Wizard and I some tasting pieces to confirm the cake is good. AFTER Wizard tasted it, I told him it was vegan. His shocked expression was priceless as his experience with vegan baked goods in the past hasn’t been great. (By the way, I wasn’t looking for vegan, just dairy-free but this recipe looked well designed to me, so I had to try it.) This was a large recipe that yielded two 8-inch layers and two 6-inch layers, so now I have two full cakes ready to pull out of the freezer and decorate when I wish to do it.
- We are going to Youngest’s on Sunday. Oldest, his wife and Turbo will be there too. Middle and his wife are helping another family member.
- I might break out one of my freezer cakes to try an Oreo cake with chocolate drips–all non dairy. It all depends if Youngest on what they want me to bring–if anything.
- It’s been a quiet week–the highlight was buying Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla for my cakes and cookies. I was seriously excited when that came and made Wizard smell it, then I made him tell me it was amazing or I wouldn’t bake anymore Yep, that’s right, I got excited about a fancy version of vanilla extract, LOL
So that’s my five, I bet your five things are more exciting than mine I hope everyone has a safe, happy and healthy weekend!
Friday, August 13th, 2021
TGIF! Where is time going this year? I can’t seem to keep up! Okay, time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I have green nails that glow in the dark I haven’t taken a picture yet, but they are pretty cool.
- I went to a big box hobby store yesterday and bought a few things to attempt to teach myself fondant work (for cake decorating). I’m starting with flowers and butterflies, and it’s going to be hilarious since I have no natural artistic ability. I’m strictly a paint-by-numbers-with-step-by-step directions type. But it’s all just for fun.
- I’ve been keeping up with my yoga practice. I usually do it three or four times a week.
- Yesterday I prepped enchiladas so that Wizard could pop them in the oven while I was getting my nails done (by my talented daughter in law!). That went great, but when I tried to pour out the cooled from frying tortillas, I missed the can and spilled vegetable oil onto my counter and floors. That was a joy to clean up, but I got the job done. Yay me!
- Then I realized my cleaning spray bottle was nearly empty. I popped the top off, refilled it without spilling any and locked the top back into place. Except the top didn’t lock…when I picked it up, the lid came off and the full bottle of cleaner fell. But I caught it with no spills!!! I was so impressed with myself until about an hour or two later when I realized that someone in the process of catching that bottle, I managed to some tweak my bad shoulder. It’ll be fine, but how do I even do this stuff??? I couldn’t recreate that scene if I tried.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, August 6th, 2021
TGIF!! I’m trying to remember what I wanted to share this week
- Monday was my birthday. I had a really good day. I had coffee with Biker Witch (my sister), got gorgeous flowers from oldest son, and went to dinner with Wizard where I had chocolate cake I didn’t have to make And then talked so long to middle on the phone, my arm and shoulder locked up, LOL. It really was a good day. Lowkey but perfect for this year, if that makes sense.
- As I mentioned, the flowers are stunning. But…and this had never happened before…they aggravated my sinuses. I was NOT giving up these flowers. We finally realized it’s because the house has been literally closed up for at least 6 to 8 weeks with the heat, and the A/C is recycling everything. I put the flowers outside early one morning for a few hours, aired out the house, then brought the flowers in and found a great spot for them in the living room–away from the main living area. That solved it and I still get to enjoy the flowers.
- Wizard saw the spine surgeon yesterday–the same one that did my surgery. I’m hugely relieved by this. I know he’s methodical and good. He’s ordering more tests that will get him more specific information, then we’ll develop a treatment plan. Wizard is handling all this remarkably well.
- Here’s my practice cake for this week. It’s just a rather bland boxed cake, as I had 3 goals for this attempt (1) making a version of Swiss Meringue Buttercream for hotter climate, which means swapping out about 1/3 of the butter for vegetable shorting and putting in a little sifted powdered sugar. This version held up better. The original one tastes better, but even in A/C gets melty in my kitchen (2) practicing icing–I did better partly because of the amazing turntable Wizard got me. (3) doing a stripe technique. The small holes in the icing are from not rewhipping after the crumb coating and chilling. I didn’t care about that, I was working on technique For a first attempt at this, I was happy. Overall this cake taught me a lot.
- I’m not sure what the weekend will bring. Anything could happen!
That’s my 5 random things, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Thursday, July 29th, 2021
TGIF! Note here: I’m posting this manually on Thursday night because I don’t trust it to post if I schedule it. Okay, let’s dive right into sharing five random things about our week.
- Yesterday was hot but the humidity was better. Rumor has it the humidity is coming back. I has a sad about that.
- Daughter-in-law did my nails again. It’s a fun hobby for her and I’m her practice dummy, LOL! But I’m having fun and getting my nails done, so it’s a win-win for me!
- I made my cake. So the good: The homemade lemon cake, two fillings and icing came out good. I got the meringue to perfect stiff peaks before adding in the butter and lemon zest and it came out just as I wanted. But by the time I cut the two cake layers into four, then assembled and filled them, the heat was wilting the icing. I should have swapped out a 1/2 cup of butter for high-fat shortening to stabilize it a a bit more. But honestly the biggest problem is I’m not putting enough icing on the sides for the final coat before I smooth it. Practice will get me there. By the time I got to the top decorations, I was so tired, I just plopped them on. Here’s a picture of the cake whole and then cut to see the layers. When the knife when through the layers, it spread the raspberry filling, which makes it slightly resembled a crime scene :-). On the upside, my layers are straight and close to even.
- Our electric bill came yesterday. Wizard and I had both guessed how much it would be and I was right…but this is a case, I wish he’d been right since he guessed lower than me. But at least we have A/C!
- Youngest Son and daughter-in-law invited us for dinner on Sunday, so I’m looking forward to that.
That’s my Friday five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, July 23rd, 2021
My blog decided not to post again. But then again, it’s been one of those weeks…not bad but nothing working according to MY schedule So Late Happy Friday and here’s the blog:
TGIF! Let’s dive into the sharing five random things.
- We’ve been looking at houses again, but that’s a circular path of frustration–especially in the current housing market. It reminds me to be grateful for what I have, and that’s always a good thing.
- I mildly hurt something in my shoulder/neck on Wednesday. I didn’t feel it whenever it happened. It just began hurting before I went to bed. I probably pulled something while cleaning the bathrooms or doing yoga. I really want to blame cleaning bathrooms. I’m still happy doing yoga.
- I want to make a zillion more cakes and cookies. I’m trying not too. But I have so many recipes and techniques to try! Oh I did make youngest son some cookies on Monday, but those don’t really count.
- Writing has been on the back burner. Too much other stuff taking up space in my head.
- Turbo is supposed to come over tomorrow. That will be great. Maggie is resting up!
Okay mine are short, but I’d sure love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a truly fun and restorative weekend!
Next Page »