Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, September 20th, 2019
Wow I’m tired! It’s been a good week, just somehow busy. Let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- The weather has cooled a bit so we haven’t had to run the air for a few days. Love it!
- I’ve written a bit this week, and can see slow but definite improvement in my concentration. I don’t want to jinx it though so enough said.
- We spent yesterday with out-of-state old friends that we see about once a decade. It was fantastic to see them! We went to lunch on the patio of a winery in Temecula, then visited a couple other wineries, and ended our day having some wine and a cheese plate on the patio of the final winery. We saved the best winery for last, and it was lovely up there on the patio overlooking the hills in 80 degree weather. It was a wonderful day, with perfect weather and great friends.
- Poor Wizard was once again our designated driver. Which meant I was the designated watchdog (NAG!! ) to make sure he only had a few sips of wine. Wizard is such a good sport about being the DD. And I just have to say, these days, we leave Maggie for about six hours alone in the house and she’s absolutely fine. I really appreciate that, overall, she’s such a low maintenance dog.
- This weekend…stuff is going on because it always is
That was some of my week, now I’d love to hear five random things about yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, September 13th, 2019
Howdy and TGIF! Okay let’s dive right into sharing five things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I went shopping and had lunch with Biker Witch (my sister) yesterday. We had a good time, she’s doing well after her major back surgery two months ago, and that makes me very happy.
- Here’s my shopping find that I splurged a whole $5.00 plus tax for: He’s perfect for one of the two bare spots on my mantle that need a little color. I love my elephant!
- Wizard and I ran errands separately the other day and ended up coming home at the exact same time. When we came in the house, Maggie was acting a little weird, staying excited longer than usual and trying to get us to pay attention to her. We’re like, “Dude, chill out.” Then Wizard went outside, talked to a neighbor and discovered that there was a 4.0 earthquaker centered right in our town–which means it felt pretty danged strong. Wizard and I didn’t feel it because we were both driving when it happened. We both sincerely believe that Maggie had been trying to tell us that something happened while we were gone.
- CPA Boy and Special K are having a housewarming party this Sunday. I’d asked Special K what I could do to help and she suggested I bring a dessert, like lemon bars. I’m thrilled to do it, and of course, I figured if one dessert is good, then I should make two so people have a choice. That’s completely logical, right? I’ve decided to make lemon bars and Twix bars, which I ran by Special K to make sure it works for her. I even ordered a special brownie pan with removable dividers that looks like this: I’m weirdly excited about this pan, LOL! I’m hoping that if I use enough bakers spray, I can get the Twix bars with its caramel center to cut nicely. I really want uniform bars that look nice.
- I already told Wizard that if the bars don’t come out right, I’ll toss them in the trash. I have to say that Wizard’s loud snort of laughter was just rude, and very hypocritical since he’s much more of a perfectionist than I am. Also, the fact that I bought the ingredients for my backup dessert of easy red velvet brownies just in case something goes wrong is completely normal, and not at all like a perfectionist :-). I really have been having a great time planning this, buying all the ingredients, and am looking forward to a baking marathon on Saturday. I very pleased Special K asked me to do it. And all teasing aside, if for some reason the lemon and/or Twix bars don’t come out and I run out of time to make my backup dessert, I’d just stop at the store on the way and buy cookies or brownies. It’s taken me a couple of decades, but I have finally learned life is too short to get truly upset over stuff like a failed batch or two of desserts.
So that’s my week and weekend. Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! Everyone have a great weekend!
Friday, September 6th, 2019
To all the people dealing with hurricane, I hope you’re safe! It’s been awful, and I’m worried. Also, we have a dangerous fire (possibly started by lightning) in the next city that is threatening homes and lives. Natural Disasters need to stop! Human’s create enough misery with nature flexing her frightening power.
Okay let’s jump right into my five random things about my week:
- This week, I’ve been trying to clean the house by myself, hoping to wean off the once-a-month house cleaners. But my shoulder and neck are not happy. We will see if my stubborn pride or common sense wins. Right now, I’m rooting for my stubborn pride, LOL
- I’ve wanted to go to Costco for years but i’m too cheap to pay the $60.00 membership fee. I resent paying a retailer for the privilege of spending my money in their store. Hmm…I’m starting to see a pattern of cheapness.
- Heat and humidity suck. But on the upside, Wizard bought me a chocolate bar.
- I am writing a little this week. Still revising before pushing onto writing second half of book. My biggest advice to writers, and the advice I wish I’d freaking learn write a crappy first draft straight through no matter how bad it is. My perfectionist side is a mouthy, annoying, editorializing and demeaning bitch who won’t shut the hell up and let me write. And she ruins books. Truly. Also, she has a potty mouth
- This weekend, I’m finally going to see my grandson, Turbo, at swimming lessons! I’ve wanted to do this for weeks, so I’m happy. Wizard is planning to go too, unless one of the other kids needs him. Wizard is in demand these days!
That’s my five random things, now I’d love to hear yours! Everyone, please stay safe and have a good weekend!
Friday, August 23rd, 2019
TGIF!! Don’t ask me where time goes! I’m doing this quickly after a long day on Thursday, so let’s count all my typos Here’s my 5 random things about my week:
- Yesterday was a marathon, I think we put over a 150 miles on the car. First we went out to visit Turbo. Special K works from home now, so we watched him for a couple of hours. It was a blast as always to play with him! After that, we came home, took care of Maggie, then headed out for another long drive to meet a friend for dinner, and had more fun.
- I found shoes to go with my dress for Youngest Son’s wedding in November! It took a lot of searching as I need 3 1/2 inch heels to work with the long dress I’m wearing, but since I have the RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) everywhere including my feet, plus having had neck surgery, it’s a challenge. I really jazzed as I think I’ll be able to tolerate these heels and really like them. I’m going to look for a pair of inexpensive nude-colored sandals to change into later at the reception when no one will care if my dress drags on the ground a little bit. Everyone will be looking at the bride, my beautiful daughter-in-law, anyway! I wore the shoes last night to start breaking them in, and am very hopeful. And the shoes are nude colored, so I can wear them again if I want to.
- Saturday we are going out again to babysit Turbo so my son and Special K can go out to a lovely dinner to celebrate their anniversary. Maggie is very excited because she gets to go with us this time.
- Next weekend, Wizard and I are going up to Paso Robles to do some wine tasting with Middle Son and his amazing wife. They are camping in their super nice trailer, and we’re staying in a hotel. Shh, don’t tell Maggie, but she’s not going on this trip even though Middle Son is bringing his dogs. I know, not fair, right? I feel bad, but we haven’t really conditioned Maggie to traveling and staying in pet-friendly hotels, so she’s probably better off at the boarding.
- I rewrote a scene and I think it works. And I might even have more time to write today after my early morning hair appointment.
Now I’d really like to hear five random things about your week! I have everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, August 16th, 2019
TGIF!! Let’s dive right into five random things about our week. Here’s mine!
- Baking cookies does not help one lose weight. Nor does, you know, eating. And I have a dress to fit into in November. I need to clean up my eating habits. But I so love to bake! And eat. Sigh.
- We got our car back Tuesday night! Yay! I’m so happy about that. It’s been a somewhat quiet week though. I just don’t have the energy to run all over right now.
- I have gone to the gym though, where I learned I like the smell of Coppertone way more than stale cigarette smoke. Some people bring smells with them to the gym, and it’s not always pleasant once they start sweating. Once I was on the treadmill next to a guy wearing strong, pungent aftershave. I think he must have dumped on the whole bottle of the stuff! Every time I inhaled, my nose burned and my eyes watered. I had to move to different equipment. Just a caveat though–I don’t run into that problem a lot at the gym, so it sticks in my mind when I do.
- Hmm, and now I’m second guessing if I used the word “caveat” correctly. It sounded correct in my head.
- Target has let me down twice now. In a week’s time, they charged me twice for the same six-pack of Diet Coke, and they delivered a gift a day late from their promised two-day delivery. I am sad as I love Target. Now I’m wondering if I’ve given my love too easily?
That’s my five random things, now I’d love to hear yours! Have a great weekend!
Friday, August 9th, 2019
Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a good week! Here’s five random things about my week.
- I wrote five pages yesterday. It doesn’t sound like much, but I’m happy I could do that. I know many people think I should start something new, but I can’t knowing I didn’t finish this trilogy. But I’ll never again publish before I finish or at least drafted. Life has too many curveballs ready to throw off our plans!
- A lizard lost the game of chase to Maggie I had to dispose of said lizard because Wizard was off helping Youngest with his pool. The poor creature was totally intact and looked unharmed, just…not alive. Maggie really does like the chase part, and I guess she loses interest after that. It’s possible the little guy just died on its own too, since I didn’t see it to know for sure. Possible, but unlikely, given Maggie’s history of chasing lizards. Oh well, I love her anyway.
- Replacing the garage door opener turned into a major day and a half project. The biggest snafu was a wiring problem–caused by Wizards getting a staple through the wire. Shh…don’t tell him I told you He knew it, but we both of us spent hours trying every other possible solution to avoid him having to rewire. The next day, he rewired it, and now the new opener is working great. He’s soooo much more patient with this stuff now that he’s retired and not under constant time pressures.
- Having only one car is inconvenient. In the scale of life problems, this is a minute one, but I’ll sure be glad to get our car back next week. I hope it’s ready as promised!
- Youngest and Fiance are in the process of moving into their new home, and should finish the bulk of it this weekend. Exciting times for them! I think I’ll bake youngest cookies too celebrate. You’re never too old for homemade cookies from your mom, right?
This weekend, I hope to see Turbo, but I also want to see my sister since it’s hard, boring and frustrating to recover from major surgery. The one-car situation, Youngest moving, and life in general has made it tricky, but I’ll work it out Now I’d really like to hear five things about your week! If I don’t answer on Friday, I will sometime during the weekend, we may be coming and going a lot.
Have a safe and fun weekend!
Friday, August 2nd, 2019
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing five random things around our week.
- So the news about Youngest Son (BLB). He and his fiance have bought a house! It closes this week, and they’ll get the keys on Sunday night. We are so danged thrilled for them! Youngest Son has been renting a room for years now, and saving money. We are bursting with pride for this kid! Both he and his fiance have worked hard to get to this point, and they absolutely love the house–an existing 3 bed, 2 bath home with a pool and jacuzzi! They are having a wonderful, and well-deserved good year with buying their first house and getting married in November! One added note, Youngest told me that he’s putting a fence around the pool ASAP for all the kids in the family, and to make sure Fiance’s two dogs are safe. That’s my boy! Money will be tight, but the safety of their family and pets is a priority.
- Our car is in the shop at least until sometime next week. It’s being repaired from the car accident caused by the other, uninsured, driver last week. Being down to one car is a pain, but at least Wizard’s not still working–that would have been a major problem. This is just a little inconvenient.
- My washing machine is screwing with me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a really good machine, and for various reasons I don’t want a new one. But this year, the WM (Washing Machine) has decided it will only spin when it wants too. Every other part of the cycle works great, including draining the tub. I’d say WM does this little trick about 20% of the time. But do you think we could get it to NOT spin while the repairman was here twice this week? Of course not. WM spun like a professional ballerina. LOLOL! After much research and debate, we’re going to replace a part that is the most likely culprit. Naturally he has to order the part, but it’s all good, WM works, it just adds a little mystery to my life with the Will I or Won’t I Spin game.
- I tested a shredded chicken for tacos or fajitas recipe yesterday and it was great! I’m making it into taquitos for me and Wizard, which I’m 90% sure will come out fine, but I’m writing this blog Thursday afternoon before I fry up the taquitos.
- But the real reason I’m testing the above recipe is we’re having a Family Pool Party on Sunday to celebrate my birthday. Wizard arranged it, and offered to cook, but um…I took over, LOL! I’m making shredded seasoned beef and chicken for easy fajitas after we swim. For the party, one daughter-in-law (Middle Son’s wife) told Wizard I can NOT make my own cake and she is bringing cupcakes. Love her so much for thinking of that. Wizard was going to try to make the cake, but I’m such a control freak that way, I’d have done it and she knows it. This gesture means so much to me. All our daughter-in-laws are bringing things to help out a lot. As far as the cooking I’m doing, I volunteered and enjoy it. I’ll do it all a day ahead, throw it in crock pots to reheat and forget it until we’re ready to eat. Sunday will be fun and family time. Turbo is a total water baby and I can’t wait to play with him in the pool!
So that’s some of my week, now I’d love to hear five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
Next Page »