Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, September 18th, 2020
TGIF! Time to jump into sharing five random things about our week:
- I feel for all those suffering the damage from wind, rains and flooding from Hurricane Sally. Mother Nature needs to go on Xanax and knock this crap off.
- Next month we will have had Maggie for three years! She’s the Princess of the house and runs our lives. But she’s also such a sweet natured dog…unless she’s chasing lizards, then she’s ruthless.
- It took me an insane amount of days to come up with a rough five page scene to fix the final plot problem. I wrote several scenes but they all felt flat to me, so I deleted them because, well, that’s how I roll. I’m going to clean up the scene tomorrow, and adjust a couple other scenes to support it. Then onto editing the rest. it’s ridiculous how long it’s taken me, but my speed with come back as I regain my writing confidence.
- Here’s a picture of me with my tomato plant to show you how big my “baby” has grown. I’m casually dressed cuz it’s hot and this was a spur of the moment pic. I’ve been in a battle with bugs on this guy, but so far, I’m winning and I have several tomatoes growing.
- And here is my bell pepper plant. He’s thriving with three baby bell peppers and a lot more blooms. We’ll see if I can get any of them to maturity. If you look close, you’ll see someone photobombed this shot with her tail
So that’s my week, now I’d love to hear about yours! I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend!
Friday, September 11th, 2020
TGIF! Let’s go right to sharing five random things about out week:
- Today is 9/11, the anniversary of the horrible terrorist attack that killed so many innocent people in the U.S. I will always be grateful to the first responders and civilian heroes who worked so hard to help those who survived, and take respectful care of those we lost. I went to the ground zero in New York a year after the attacks and will never forget how errie and surreal it was. And I’ll just mention while I had the opportunity to pay my respects in New York, I don’t forget the people that lost their lives in at the Pentagon or the field in Pennsylvania.
- In a more cheerful note: I have baby bell peppers and tomatoes growing! I didn’t take pictures because it’s awful outside.
- By awful, I mean the smoke from all the fires in CA hang like a gloom that blocks the sun. We are not close to the fires here, that’s how bad it is. It’s not just CA, the whole West Coast is battling raging fires. Here’s a picture from walking Maggie the other morning about 6:45 am. Normally, it would be bright and clear, and I’d need sunglasses to walk toward the sun like this. It’s gotten worse in the last couple days. Everyone is feeling the effect of so much smoke, and I have a scratchy throat and burning eyes, which is not fun with contracts. Much worse, firefighters have been injured, there’ve been some deaths too. And it’s all so sad.
- I’m 3/4s of the way into the book revision and have cut well over 50 pages from the first half. I have one more plot problem to figure out how to fix, and the rest is clean up. Another week to get that done I think. Then I’ll have to go through and edit because I’ve made so many changes and moved stuff around. After that, I’ll arrange copyediting. I’m doing this, and so happy.
- The plan is to see Turbo tomorrow! With the fires, plans are subject to change, but that’s the plan while writing this.
Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Friday, September 4th, 2020
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week:
- I was so convinced yesterday was Friday, I almost forgot to write this blog.
- On Monday I was baking and prepping dinner for daughter in law’s birthday, so I didn’t try to write. Instead, I handled time consuming crap I’d set aside. Stuff like filing for a VAT exemption as a US citizen from the IRS for my German publisher, and that department of the IRS is currently closed due to Covid. It’s a hamster wheel of endless fun right there, LOL. I also handled a time-consuming request from another publisher. I was thrilled to get that stuff off my desk.
- I’m finally on task with revisions. Happy Dance! I refuse to fret about all the wasted time trying to figure things out as it’s all part of retraining my writing, revising, editing and marketing muscles. My motto now is to Believe and Keep Going!
- Yesterday I did an upper GI x-ray series doctors have been after me to do for years. More progress in my exciting life I’m not having any sudden, new or worrisome symptoms, this is just sort of the medical housekeeping item given my history with stomach issues. The worst part was drinking a version of foaming alka seltzer that tasted like lemon flavored battery acid, chased my some thick goopy vanilla stuff. The two best parts were (1) having great technicians that helped me contort like a pretzel while drinking that stuff; and (2) that I can sign in and see all the images on my computer. And yes, I’m weird.
- Turbo will be gone this weekend He’ll have a great time with his parents and cousins, but I’ll miss him. It’ll be two weeks without seeing him. However I’m planning his next chocolate surprise when I do see him (which I already told his dad, who laughed). The upside of not seeing Turbo this weekend is I’ll get more revising done.
That’s my quick and borning Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend, and for those with a three-day holiday weekend, stay safe and enjoy!!
Friday, August 28th, 2020
TGIF. I really hope all those in the path of Hurricane Laura are safe.
Okay onto sharing five random things about our week.
- Insomnia sucks.
- I’m writing, deleting, rearranging scenes and generally crazed, which insomnia feeds on like a hungry vampire. But mulish plots, stubborn insomnia nor hungry vampires are gonna stop me. Hmm…vampires, what if I had a vampire sweep through the book and kill them all???? Tempting, so tempting!
- So last week when we were at oldest sons with the family, the conversation turned to Costco. I know, boring, but it made sense as Special K had bought the meat for carne asada at Costco and middle son and his wife are Foodies and anyhow, I digress. In the midst of this fascinating conversation, Oldest yells form across the table, “Hey mom do you like that Costco cereal I told you to try?” And I’m like. “OMG Yes! And I’m not buying it anymore. Not ever. It’s like crack and and I eat too much of it.” I was dead serious, I LOVE this granola cereal. Oldest son says, “but it’s healthy. Eat it, mom.” And I still said no because it’s expensive which hurts my cheap little heart. So the very next day, Wizard runs to Costco and buys the EXACT CEREAL I just swore I would not buy again. He sets it on my desk and said, “Witch, you like this cereal, so I bought it.” Then he walked away. Turns out, he took a picture of the box and went to the store just to buy the cereal he overheard me say I like too much to have in the house.
- Two neighbors have had their A/C’s replaced in the last few weeks, while ours continues to work fine. We’re cautiously happy, although we’ve technically set aside $$ to get a new one if needed. We had intended to do it right when Covid happened and now we’re figuring why mess with success?
- I need to order Maggie new dog tags, but I can never remember to do it. I blame Revision Brain. Also, if’ I’d quit trying to reinvent the wheel, I could actually make the revision work instead of trying to write the great American novel, and then I’d remember to order Maggie dog tags and NOT try to put coffee in her dog food.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope you have a great weekend!
Friday, August 21st, 2020
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week:
- The book and I are in a duel. I just cut two scenes. One is useless so no loss there, the other one I think is more important but not in the right place…or something. I’m letting the voices in my head argue about it while I work on the next scene And drink wine.
- I don’t remember much about this week. Probably because this revision has confused and confounded my brain cells into mush.
- I hit my elbow funny bone on a cupboard the other night. The shock of pain was so stunning, I danced around the kitchen, unable to say anything. It was swelling so fast, both Wizard and I were like: Is it even possible to break an elbow putting away a wine glass? Long story short, after 30 minutes of ice and elevation, it dramatically improved and we breathed a sigh of relief. A day later, it’s just another bruise in my collection. The moral of this story is don’t hit your funny bone that hard. Trust me. But if you do, drink more wine first and you won’t care
- The heat and humidity are brual, and fires are burning all over California. We are fine, but I worry for all the firefighters and people who are in the path of the flames. In case anyone is wondering, lightning has caused a lot of these fires. Weather and the terrain feeds them, and make them both difficult and dangerous to fight.
- Today I’m making Copycat Nothing Bundt Red Velvet Cake cupcakes to take over to CPA Boy’s house for dinner. I’ve made them before and they turned out good, so hopefully they will again. I also bought ingredients to make bread, but it’s too hot to do that right now. I’ll bake these cupcakes early in the morning.
This weekend I’ll yell at the book and drink more wine. And try hard NOT to hit my funny bone. Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, August 14th, 2020
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week:
- Why do characters wake me up at 4am to whine about their problems and annoy me? You know what would be awesome? Wake me up for the solution and you’ll find me all kinds of happy rather than pissed.
- We bought some steaks from Costco and tried them. They were pretty good! We buy very little steak anymore because it’s been so disappointing.
- I made chipotle rice this week and we both enjoyed it. It’s just white rice with some lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro, but little things make me happy
- I got my hair cut and colored, and these days, it’s a total covert operation to do that. California closed hair salons, UNLESS they cut hair outside. Umm, first it was 107 degrees yesterday so…seriously? Plus the logistics of moving everything outside unrealistic.
- I’m seeing Biker Witch today. Our big day out is meeting at Target with masks. It’s exciting, LOL!
I’m staying home this weekend and smacking around my revision. Violence is okay in fiction, right? It’s a good thing I love this book! Anyway, that’s my five and now it’s your turn to share yours. Have a great weekend?
Friday, August 7th, 2020
TGIF! Okay, here’s my five random things about this week:
- So my revisions are slow, and I’ve pulled out my chef’s knife and chop and combine some scenes. There’s no pretty (or easy) way to do this, so I’m diving in and slashing. The plan is to get rid of the boring stuff and kick up the action. Wish me luck, and maybe send Band Aides!
- I made Youngest son cookies in my brand new stand mixer that Wizard got me for my birthday. It’s a 5.5 quart Cuisinart with the attachments I need and I’m going to love the mixer!
- I made Youngest cookies to test it, and because on my birthday, he couldn’t eat the amazing chocolate cake my daughter-in-law (Special K) made. By the way, he didn’t complain that he couldn’t eat the cake, there was plenty of food he enjoyed. I just like to do it for him because he’s such a good sport.
- Today I’m off to the doctor’s to get a long overdue shot in my bad ankle, then run some errands right after a shot in the swollen ugly joint. Hmm…I may not have planned that well, LOL! But in 24 to 48 hours, the shot will kick in and I’ll be good. Plus errands will be done
- This weekend, Wizard is helping Oldest with something in his house, which means I get to play with Turbo.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great and healthy weekend!
Next Page »