Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, July 5th, 2019
TGIF! Now let’s get to sharing five random things about our week.
- I expect the blog to be quiet today, but for anyone who heard about the earthquake in Southern California, we’re fine. The epicenter of the quake was something like 100 miles from us. We felt the quake for sure, but we’re fine. My concern is for those close to the center, and we’re all aware that another, bigger one could come. Fun Fact: A part of the San Andreas fault line runs right through my city
- Wizard and I had a great 4th of July day with drinks in the jacuzzi, ribs for dinner and peach pie for dessert.
- 4th of July night, however, was like living too close to war zone. I have never actually been in a war zone, but this is what I imagine it sounds like. I was on the couch with my trembling dog, and the massive booms were coming from out the front of my house in a half circle to the back. It looked like lightning flashing. Those were the ones that had my flinching, and clearly these are not the legally sold fireworks, but the dangerous ones. Maggie wouldn’t leave my side until I told her it was time for bed and she ran in her kennel. She was a very brave girl throughout the rest of the night. She stayed in her kennel with no crying, whining or barking, and she even ate her treat. I’m proud of her.
- We saw Turbo this week. He was a blast as always. Wizard and I were playing with him outside, and when we went for a little walk, the boy reached for both our hands. We both looked up at one another, feeling the love that transcends time: There were all the moments that our sons reached for our hands, and now in this moment, our grandson reached for out hands. That kind of love and trust is a priceless gift.
- I have a new TV stand! After two years of searching, I finally found one that we like and that fits into the awkward corner! We put it together and it’s all done. It’s not expensive or anything, it just makes us happy.
So that’s my five. I know it’s kind of a holiday weekend for most, but it you’re here and have time, I’d live to hear five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
Friday, June 28th, 2019
TGIF! It’s time to share five random things about our week!
- Wednesday we went out to see our grandson, Turbo. He’s having so much fun in his new home, and especially, his new backyard where he can run, explore and play. Wizard has a selection of shirts with cars and trucks on it just because Turbo gets excited to see them. He’s such a grandpa!
- So yesterday, I went online to look for shirts with dogs on them for me (because Turbo loves dogs as much as he loves cars and trucks), and I accidentally typed in “dong” instead of “dog”. FYI, I don’t recommend doing that.
- I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this week for Turbo. That might sound like a weird combo if you haven’t heard of it before, but it’s actually good. Anyhow, Turbo loved it! Later, Turbo was holding his mom’s hand to go for a walk, and reached for my hand too. I turned to Wizard and said, “Ha! Muffins win!” Special K cracked up at our competing over who Turbo loves more. (Wizard and I are just kidding, we don’t really compete for Turbo’s love, we just enjoy teasing each other to keep life fun).
- In some ways, it’s been a challenging week. First Wizard’s cousin lost her husband to illness. We’re sad for her and her family like. Then we found out my brother is facing a serious health challenge. However, a positive note is that my brother’s prognosis is very good right now, and he’s otherwise in good shape, which will help him a lot. That’s two things, and while I’m not generally superstitious, I’m waiting for that third thing to happen to fulfill the “Bad News (or Luck) Comes in Threes” saying. Logically I know it’s silly, but emotionally, I’m a six-year-old girl avoiding cracks on the sidewalk while mentally chanting, “Step on a crack and break your mother’s back.”
- This week, I helped Wizard plant new flowers in the four big pots we have around the pool. After we were done, the flowers were in shock, and I was worried. I really don’t have a green thumb, and I was concerned my help doomed the poor plants. But yesterday they looked perky and happy, so I’m not a flower killer!
That was my week, with very little writing. Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five!
Friday, June 21st, 2019
TGIF!! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here are mine:
- I’ve spent too much time and money replacing old towels, rugs and a few other random items in our bathrooms. I still need a few more things, but my time-and-money budget is exhausted.
- Wednesday, I played with Turbo all day in his new house. I was doing things like scooping him up and swinging him around, which make him laugh, which made me do it again and again. Ouch! LOL! I used to be able to carry two boys with the third one hanging on my leg. What happened?
- I wasn’t the only one tired. This is Turbo after all that playing. He climbed up on the couch where blankets were stacked (they are still unpacking), curled up with his pacifier, and conked out. It was freaking adorable. When he’s awake and going he seems older than 15 months. But like this, I still see the baby in him.
- I took Maggie in for a bath and grooming this week, and the lady there who knows her well told me that she’s getting really gray. She definitely is! That doesn’t bother me much. We don’t know Maggie’s age or background, so we just accept her as she is.
- I’m not sure what I’m doing this weekend. We were expecting out-of-town friends, but those plans changed, so now…anything could happen
That’s my five random (and boring, LOL) things. Now it’s your turn to share! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, June 14th, 2019
Another Friday! Okay it’s time to share five random thing about our week.
- I found my missing chapstick! I rarely lose stuff, and this drove me out of my mind until I located the sucker. It took me two days to figure out I’d put it in the cupboard above the shelf I normally keep my chapstick on. Mystery solved!
- Monday, Maggie went with us to visit Wizard’s mom. She was a total show off. We sat in her backyard, and Maggie was a polite guest, walking around, sniffing and then going up to my mother-in-law and her husband to be petted. She didn’t jump, whine or cause any doggy-problems. I love it when Maggie shows off her manners. However, she came to us with most of her manners, so I can’t claim credit Here’s Maggie in the car on the way.
- I’ve had a cranky stomach this week. That’s not my point though. Why do people care what others eat? When I’m out to eat or at people’s homes, I quietly choose what I know my stomach will handle. But once in a while, there’s someone trying to push some food or other on me. Why? I mean I don’t want to bore everyone with my cranky stomach stories, and who wants to hear that anyway? Sometimes I just say a partial truth, ” I have to be careful due to the meds I take.” But why isn’t, “No, thanks,” enough? Now if someone made something special, that’s different, and I either eat some or tell them I wish I could but I just can’t. Those people are always gracious. It’s the people who have decided I’m picky (because I have to be, not because I want to be), or they’re trying to show off their food knowledge. It’s almost as bad as trying to push alcohol on people who don’t feel like drinking. And Oops! I guess I slid into a rant, sorry!!
- It’s been a super hot week, but yesterday was a much nicer day! Wizard, Maggie and I all appreciated it! Wizard and I went in the Jacuzzi while Maggie tried to convince lizards to come out of hiding and play with her. (The lizards did not believe her, LOL)
- This weekend, Wizard and I are going to help do a few things in CPA Boy and Special K’s new house before they actually move in. I’m looking forward to it, but poor Wizard is sore from fixing the sprinkler system at his mom’s house yesterday. He can rest today, and hopefully bounce back in time to tackle whatever projects CPA Boy and Special K need done. Plus we get to see Turbo!! Trust me that will make Wizard feel better!
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, June 7th, 2019
So Friday is happening, and it’s time to share five random things about our week:
- I’m in a funk. A reading, writing funk. It’s so bad, I was actually looking at part-time jobs online and then I remembered I’m not qualified to do anything else, so it’s time to snap out of it and get on with writing. (No real worries here, when I see my doctor again, I’m going to talk to my doctor about my flagging energy levels and ongoing tinnitus. But I suspect this is pretty much my new normal, and I will figure out how to handle it, and do all I want to do. I don’t want anyone to worry.)
- The heat hit this week, and I turned on the air conditioner Wednesday to make sure it works. The unit made an ugly grinding noise that sounded like, HELP ME I’M DYING. So I called the air conditioning guy.
- Guess what? The guy could come out the very next day, Yay!! But that meant that I had to stay home while Wizard went to go see Turbo. Boo!!! Wizard went for the purpose of helping Special K with something, while I had no legitimate excuse, therefore logic said I had to stay home to babysit the sick air conditioner. FYI, Logic can be super annoying. But Wizard had a great time with Turbo, and made me really happy.
- The good news is the guy was able to fix the A/C unit for now. The bad news, he expected payment for parts and labor. It was absolutely a fair price, but it still stung. We’ll be getting quotes on a new system in the next few weeks, which is going to sting a whole lot more. We may be able to wait until after summer to pull the trigger on it, but we’ll be prepared.
- I’m cheering up because Turbo is probably coming over Saturday!
So that was some of my week, now I’d love to hear about yours! I hope everyone has a terrific weekend!
Friday, May 31st, 2019
TGIF! Okay here’s five random things about my week.
- If I had witch powers, I’d stop the crazy ass storms ripping across the country. I’d also do a bunch of other stuff, like heal sick kids, and zap common sense into some people.
- Wednesday was Middle Son’s birthday. I made him lemon pound cake, and we went out to dinner with him and his wife. It was low-key, but a really nice evening. I’m so very proud of Middle. He’s grown into an interesting, caring and responsible adult that I want to hang out with–all the things any mom could hope for. And I love his wife, I can easily hang out with her too!
- Maggie spent long time smelling one of my shirts. It needed to hang dry, so I hung it on the doorknob, and for some reason, it really caught her interest. I wonder if she could smell my scent on it despite just washing it? Or maybe she liked my choice of fabric softener? I have no idea.
- I just started listening to an audio book called, DOG ON IT. It’s a mystery about a PI and his dog investigating case, and told from the dog’s POV. I’ve only listened to a chapter, but it seems cute. As soon as I saw the dog was the protagonist, I bought the book
- To test my self-control, I bought the ingredients to make a homemade version of Dole Pineapple Whip (it’s like a creamy pineapple soft serve and delicious!) and to make chocolate chunk cooks. Will I cave in and make one or both? It’s a trick question, I don’t have any self-control, and I really need to get back to the gym ASAP!
So that’s five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear about your week. Stay safe and have a great weekend!
Friday, May 24th, 2019
TGIF!! You all know the drill–it’s the day we share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I can brush my teeth without pain! My elbow has improved. It’s a work in progress, but much better and a huge relief.
- The weather needs to STOP messing with people! Here in So Cal, yesterday was just depressing. Cold, dreary and drizzle-wet. It’s been raining off and on in a totally weird end-of-May weather pattern. But other parts of the country, like Oklahoma and Missouri have suffered severe weather spawning tornadoes and tragedies. Then I saw a headline predicting at least 4 major hurricanes this season. I didn’t even read the article…ENOUGH.
- Wizard is going in a four-day outdoor Radio Control Car Race with his friends Thursday — Sunday, and the weather is really dampening his, and his friends, fun. I know this is minor in the scheme of weather problems facing others, but this is a big race he’s been looking forward to for months. Yesterday they a couple of rain delays and then had to call the race early. Come on weather–let the guys and gals play with their toys!
- I’ve spent days staring at my book. This time, while it looks non-productive, what I’m really doing is mentally revising. All my writer friend’s excellent critiques are starting to take shape, and I see a path. Of course, it’s not an easy path, but I either write the best book I can, or why bother?
- Saturday I’m meeting a friend for lunch and fun-shopping. I’m looking forward to that!
That’s my Friday Five. Now I’d love to hear yours!
Have a great weekend!
Next Page »