Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, January 11th, 2019
Howdy! It’s time to list five random things from our week. Here’s mine:
- Yesterday we went to see Baby Slayer, who will be ten months old on the 17th. In two months, he’ll be a year! We played with him for a couple of hours, then Baby Slayer was starting to doze off on Wizard’s lap. I told Wizard we had to leave so his mom could get the baby down for a nap. You had to see Wizard’s pouty expression as he said, “But I don’t want to go.” Special K and I finally got the two boys separated I absolutely adore that boy, but I also love watching Wizard with him. He was the same kind of dad–totally hands on.
- Tuesday Wizard and I went shopping and I made chocolate covered graham crackers. The graham crackers are gone, and we have once again proved we can’t be trusted with chocolate goodies.
- It’s a miracle I can even get my jeans on.
- I’m writing, but struggling with a rewrite scene when Justice and Liza reunite and embers of their love reigniting. It’s all a matter of what to put in and what to leave out. I’m going tackle it again today and get it to move forward. I have goals this year! (I’m still being careful and mostly following my recovery instructions).
- This weekend, it’s supposed to rain. We aren’t too worried about floods, the city has once again been out clearing creek beds, and checking/reinforcing the huge berms the build to guide the runoff. Both Wizard and I see the tractors and earth movers working when we walk Maggie. So I’ll probably spend the weekend writing and hanging out at home.
That’s my five, now it’s your turn to share yours! I hope you all have a great weekend!
Friday, January 4th, 2019
It’s a new year, but Friday Five is still the same, a list five random things about our week!
- Wizard and I made our first trip to wineries on Wednesday afternoon. We didn’t do any tasting, we just chose a few bottles to replace our depleted supply of good wines, and enjoy the pretty views.
- Maggie is now getting two walks a day and she loves it! Wizard has been walking her in the morning, then I take her out in the afternoon. That won’t work in the heat, but for now, it’s great.
- I made a new-to-us recipe of Lemon Basil Linguine and I added some shrimp. It was good!
- I’m starting in the book (SAVAGED DEVOTION) from the spot I feel it all went wrong. In my head, it all makes sense, but when I open the document, I’m like a deer in headlights I just need to push through and write! I’m only working an hour or two at stretch at the computer. I’ve also been cleaning out the old year, sketching out my goals for next year (like pulling my career out of the toilet, LOL!) and setting up my new calendar.
- Oh! And Maggie has her new blanket! Wizard “won” it for her in another White Elephant gift game. He stole it from another player specifically for Maggie. All I can say is that his walking her daily is paying off for both Wizard and Maggie!
Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five. Hope everyone has a great week!
Friday, December 21st, 2018
I blame Holiday Brain. I got busy yesterday, and while I knew I needed to post a blog, somehow I just never got to it. Anyway, here’s my Friday 5:
- 99.9 % of my holiday shopping and wrapping is done. But I still haven’t gotten Maggie a gift. That’s not a big deal, I can throw one of her treat bones in a Christmas gift bag and she’d think she won the doggy-lottery. I’m going to look for blankets for her in after Christmas sales because Maggie appreciates a good sale :-).
- My daughter in law, (Middle Son’s wife) makes Magic Bars that have coconut in them. I don’t like coconut but I like her Magic Bars.
- I had pictures of Baby Slayer printed yesterday. I’m so excited! I finally was able to hang a frame that CPA Boy and Special K gave me way back in May. That’s right, 7 months ago **Hangs head in shame**
- We have a pretty wicked coyote problem here. They are hungry from the fires and floods. The elementary school one street over even sent out warnings to the parents. Wizard has changed his route for walking Maggie, and I’m going to be much more careful when I start walking her too.
- My goal for 2019 is to recapture my passion and motivation, and establish work hours that leaves me free time to do other things I enjoy.
I’ll post Monday just to wish you all a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!
Friday, December 14th, 2018
TGIF! Time to list 5 random things about our week:
- Yesterday was six weeks since my surgery. I’m doing better. Irritated as heck by my limitations, the brace and normal soreness. I’m supposed to wear this brace for 3 months, then we’ll do another x-ray and see if I’m showing any signs of bone growth (called fusing). However, I can start taking breaks from the brace when I’m not doing physical things as long as I don’t bend my neck more than 25%, so that helps. Sleep isn’t always easy in the soft brace, but better than having to sleep in the hard brace! It’s going to take time though, and I’ll do all I can to heal and get back to life in full swing! And writing!
- Wizard and I made four batches of bread yesterday, with a 50% success rate due to my screw up. The 2 batches of zucchini bread appears to have come out fine, but the pumpkin came out like wet bricks. I realized just as we finished mixing up the 2nd batch that I’d put in DOUBLE THE PUMPKIN. I was measuring all the ingredients obsessively because I’m prone to mistakes right now and yet, I did the stupidest mistake of all. It was a total lightbulb moment as I put in the pumpkin realized I was holding a 30 oz can not a 15 oz can. Holy Bumbling Moron at your service! I knew exactly the amount I needed, so why I bought the bigger can and never realized the error is an irritating mystery that I can’t blame on anyone but myself. But then again, no one was hurt, and in the big scheme of life, who really cares? Somehow the sun will rise tomorrow despite my making a mistake and tossing out the pumpkin bread.
- We got a Christmas card from very sweet couple who did the premarital counseling required by the church we got married in. Way back then, they taught us the key to marriage is “The Three C’s; communicate, communicate, communicate.” At the time, both Wizard and I thought they were very nice, but we didn’t appreciate their wisdom. We were young and knew it all, LOL! Decades later, we get it and appreciate their advice so much more. Every year, we look forward to their Christmas card, letting us know they are still well and practicing The Three C’s
- Oldest son called, and in the conversation said, “Mom can you help me cheat?” I replied, “Of course, after all I raised you to be a cheater.” He wants me to help him cheat in a cookie contest, and I’m thinking about it–even getting Wizard in on the scheme. I might just do it! In case you’re wondering, no one at his office will believe he made the cookies, and I’m pretty sure my other son who works there will rat him out in a hot second. Oldest is awesome at his job, but not in the kitchen. That’s why it’s funny. If Wizard helps, we’d have a great time and then he’d ferry the cookies to Oldest for him to try to pull this off caper. (If anyone seriously thinks I raised my kids to be cheaters, please look up sarcasm. Yes I’d make the cookies, but only because this is fun cheating, not hurting someone cheating.)
- We have a Christmas party for Wizard’s side of the family on Saturday. I’m so looking forward to getting out and seeing his family!
Now it’s your turn to list your five things! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, December 7th, 2018
Hi all!! Wow this whole year has been a whirlwind! But now it’s time to share five things about our week. Here’s mine:
- We made it through another rainstorm. There were mandatory evacuations up to one street over from us, but we were okay. Although between about 1pm and 4pm it was a little scary. The elementary school one street over let out early due to possible flooding and mudslides. The street that separates our street from the burned hills was briefly closed while tractors cleared away mud and debris that came down. But otherwise we came through it. It looks like it might me a rainy year in So Cal so this is our new reality for a while. And we desperately need the rain.
- YIKES this year has been a roller coaster. Wizard and I are tired. But next year, we are going to plan a real vacation with just the two of us, and no work, as long as I heal enough to fly. And if I don’t, then we’ll take a closer to home vacation. That goal pushes us to keep going!
- Baby Slayer is awesome! Here he is at 8 1/2 months old and practicing to be a cover model–I think he nailed it He’s not walking yet, but he stands and cruises along furniture.
- Wizard picked out a movie for us to watch last night after a stressful day. So naturally during the move Oldest Son called, then Middle Son called, then my brother called. LOLOL! Poor Wizard. He was so proud of finding a fun movie for us to decompress. I usually don’t get a lot of calls at night, but people were checking up, and we both appreciate that. The good news is that while I talked, Wizard played on his phone–the smartphone that he now LOVES.
- Today is bright, sunny, beautiful day! Biker Witch is coming over to get me out of the house. It should be a good day…unless we get into trouble. It’s been known to happen, LOL!
That’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 26th, 2018
TGIF! It’s almost Halloween, and that means the holiday season is almost here. Where did the year go? Well that’s another blog Right now, it’s time to share five things about our week:
- I made enchiladas and froze some of them for Wizard to eat while I’m recovering. He was happy.
- I also made brownies this week. I believe we’ve discussed my lack of self-control.
- Decaf coffee makes me sad. (I switched over slowly to decaf until after the surgery.)
- Maggie heard Coyotes howling the other night, and just had to run outside to check “her lizards” which is to say, she checked the trash cans where she finds the most lizards to chase. I guess she thought the coyotes were going to steal her lizards????
- We had a Movie Fail yesterday. We tried to see First Man before my surgery since Wizard really wanted to see it. When we got in the theater, the screen wasn’t on at all, so I let the management know. The screen came on and 25 minutes later it was still playing commercials. At that point, we got a refund and so did most of the other people in that theater. It’s a small annoyance in life.
So that’s my five things that I can think of right off the top of my head. Now it’s your turn!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 19th, 2018
Well hello there, Friday, how are you? So nice to see you again even though it feels like it’s only been ten minutes since we last saw you Okay, it’s time to list 5 things about our week. Here are mine:
- My Brother In Law wins the Mega-Tough Award! He had open heart surgery and while he’s in pain, he’s getting up, sitting in a chair and walking a few steps at a time. That’s pretty danged impressive! My sister, Biker Witch, is doing well. I worry about her because that’s what sisters do, but she’s been handling all this like a champ.
- Maggie is mad at me right now because I won’t move the trash cans fifty million times. She’s convinced there’s a lizard under there, which there was, but he escaped to a safer spot an hour ago. Maggie refuses to believe it.
- I bought new Sketcher sneakers at Target. I think I can wear them for everyday stuff, not for hiking though (I use my old, dirty but reliable, Reeboks.) Finding shoes I can actually wear has been a battle for years. I’ve wasted so much money on shoes, and I hate that. Every time I find a pair I can wear, I want to celebrate!
- Wizard’s new phone is doing this quirky disappearing act with keyboard screen. He took it into the cellphone store once and they reset it for him. It still did it, so he went back again, and they ordered him a new one. It’ll be here in a day or two, and I’m happy with that response. I did try to get him to upgrade to the same phone that I have, but he refused. He really likes his phone, except for that one weird issues. If the new one works as it should, he’ll be satisfied.
- Today I have my last pre-op, and this one is with my surgeon. He will go over my pre-op tests, and make sure everything is set for surgery. After that…I can still run Okay I’m mostly kidding. I’m focusing on a positive outcome and getting back to the job I love!
That’s my five, now it’s your turn to share five things about your week.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Next Page »