Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, November 18th, 2022
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week:
- Wizard has finished the building portion of the garage! But man, his hands are a mess. Most of his fingers have cracks in them. Do you think that stops him??? Please a few bloody cracks in his skin are not the same thing as a Man Cold He’s done a great job! He has more organizing to do but the bulk of it is done.
- My brother-in-law is home now, and we’re hoping he continues to feel better. Fingers crossed!
- Turbo and his family have mostly recovered! They are planning to come out Sunday. Turbo wants to make chocolate rice crispy treats. Easy and fun!
- On the baking front, I found a non-dairy and gluten free chocolate cookie! They are meringue cookies, but very rich which is almost an oxymoron since meringue cookies are usually light. I froze them to see how they defrost. This cookie was just a personal challenge as I know someone who can’t have dairy or wheat, and I limit those items in my diet. Then I went to make vegan white chocolate macadamia cookies (which people seem to really like!) and realized I didn’t have any dairy free white chocolate chips. Now this is a problem since they are super hard to find in my town. Long story short, I’m hoping they ones I ordered arrive tomorrow as promised by Amazon, then I will make those. But all this is fun stuff. Eventually I’ll make cakes again. Cookies are just easier to freeze and get one or two out when we want them. I also have a half batch of regular and very good chocolate chip cookies in my freezer Unless Wizard ate them all when I was gone yesterday, LOL!
- My CT scan was yesterday and I did everything right because I sooooo want to be done with all this. I arrived an hour early, drank the contrast stuff (no idea what it was, but I was determined to get this done!). Waited an hour, got all set up in the room then drank even more mystery solution. Then the tech put my IV in. I started to get worried just because she kept cautioning me not to bend my arm so as not to pop out the IV. Okay…so they do the first two scans, then tell me the machine will put the contrast in my IV. Liquid spurted everywhere but into my vein. Two people came running, they thought I was having a reaction when actually something in the IV line spouted holes or a connector failed. I couldn’t really see from my position, but I know the needle in my arm was in fine. The next try shot contrast into my hair and the two techs were pretty flustered by them. On the the third they “think” some contrast went in, but I can barely feel it. What I should have felt was a sweep flush of warmth that makes me question my bladder control. But what I did feel was a tiny trickle of warmth a few inches up my arm then nothing. I have serious doubts about whether they were able to shoot good enough contrast scans. I so don’t want to have to redo this scan. We’ll see.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a terrific weekend!
Friday, November 11th, 2022
TGIF! Time to dive into sharing five random things about our week.
- The medical system feels like it’s totally crashing in the last week or two in our neck of the woods. First brother in law is on hold waiting for treatment. We’re all not happy and baffled by this. It’s not good for him, and he’s stuck in a hospital waiting.
- For reasons I can’t begin to fathom, the imaging center decided they had to review my CT to see if it was medically necessary. Why? No clue, the specialist and my regular doc thought it was necessary, and sure enough the “team of doctors reviewing it” came to the same decision four business days later. It’s scheduled for late next week, and then I had a slew of paperwork to fill out. I’m sure there’s a reason but I can figure it out.
- On the upside, saw my regular doc today and felt like sanity had returned just because he’s so ground in reality and helpful. He rolled his eyes at the Fodmat diet I was on and said, “Most of my patients, like you, have already eliminated every problematic food from their diet.” I felt validated We’re all baffled by mysterious side pain, and all of us feel it will remain mysterious but we’ll go though this final step of the CT then…wish the side pain well and move on with our lives. (When all else fails, be sarcastic or ridiculous because seriously, who has time or money for all this????)
- All my pictures/wall art are still stacked in a corner of the living room. We keep trying to find time to lay them out and hang them. It’s becoming a fun joke. We’ll get to it eventually.
- Hmm…what else? Oh we have had gorgeous weather! A day or so of rain which we really needed. And fall like weather that I love! Maggie and I took a little hike on muddy dirt roads yesterday and neither one of us cared. Wizard just shook his head, but he knows I walk off stress. And my doctor also assure me and encouraged me to do all exercise that I want too including yoga, and I won’t make anything worse. That relieved Wizard’s mind. He knows me best and knows this is real even when I try to convince myself it’s in my mind. But the point of this is that I truly love and appreciate this weather!
This weekend, first I hope things happen for brother in law that need to happen. Second we want to see Turbo, but we’ll see how that goes. They will come out here if they can. So that was my five, now I really want to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, November 4th, 2022
TGIF! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Time is racing by and we’re already into the Holiday Season. Crazy! I’m not ready! That said, we are having Thanksgiving here. I already have RSVPs from the kids with dishes they are bringing, so that makes it so much easier. So I’m not really behind.
- Tuesday I found a frozen turkey at my regular store that was more than $50.00. Holy Sticker Shock, Batman! Then I went to Walmart to buy Maggie a new dog bed (she loves it!) and found the same size turkey for $27.00. SCORE! And it fits in my oven! I think it’ll be fun to have T-Day here as long as I keep insane Jen locked in the closet. Insane Jen will try to get all the furniture and wall hangings bought and placed and create a stupid impossible amount of pointless pressure. So she’s locked up tight and not getting out.
- I had my followup visit, at which point I found out they GI practice is closing. Insert eye roll here. But what I know is this so far: My ulcers are only from the meds that I’ve stopped taking. I don’t need to worry that other foods or drinks are causing them. I can adjust my diet to whatever makes me comfortable. Those are two good pieces of news. The other news (nothing bad) is that one, while the diet did help some of the occasional nausea, it did nothing to help the on and off again pain on my right side. Pain like that is so weird it could be anything and is likely nothing significant or worrisome. But I agreed to a CT scan to check out a couple more things. In the meantime, I’m watching my diet and taking some meds to help and we’ll see. Let me just say though, I have a diagnosis of a redundant and torturous colon, but honestly I think the medical system is MORE redundant and torturous. I just want someone to say, stop eating this food, take this vitamin and go live your life. Wouldn’t it be great if life were that easy?
- I have to brag. Wizard hung the cabinets he built for the garage with only my help!! I did it! Mostly because Wizard used a slide in bracket system that just required the two of us to lift the cabinet and slide it up and onto the bracket where it locks into place. I’ve helped him move, lift and saw quite a few parts. It’s amazing what the two of us can do if we think it through first. But if I’d had to try and hold those cabinets that high while he drilled and screwed them in, I doubt I could have done it.
- We have a plan to see Turbo tomorrow, but I’m skeptical it will happen. Oldest is working on kicking the cold, and there’s just a swirl of stuff happening. So I’m in wait and see mode. Today I’m dragging Wizard out (or will go by myself) to look at chairs (this isn’t Insane Jen, this is part-of-the-plan- budget-Jen ). Well that’s assuming if all the relatives are doing okay. They are more important than a chair or table.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
Friday, October 21st, 2022
TGIF! I am sooo glad it’s Friday. So lets dive right into our five. I’ll start
- Our couches came a day late due to a snafu, but they waived the “set up” fee which is nice of them so we’re happy. They are big and dark but we really like them so far.
- We also got the blinds which is a relief. We are happy with all but one, which has an issue that hadn’t occurred to us. We agreed to two blinds on one rail since the window is so big. What we didn’t think about was that there’d be cords in the center where the blinds meet. We are probably just going to live with it. Especially since we can leave a space between the couch and window wall to access the cord easily. But we wish that the issue had been pointed out to us. It’s a small thing, I know. Otherwise we are loving having window coverings!
- I went to the dentist Wednesday and it was a newish dentist there. I’m on the fence about this one and it’s hard when you really like every other person there. I’m thinking we’ll wait and see.
- I got the two scopes done Thursdays. The prep was brutal, but I thought I was okay when we left the house to go to the surgery center. I made it there, got in the back to be prepped for the procedures when nausea hit. It was not fun for anyone, but the team of people there were utterly amazing and helped me so much. For as miserable as I was, they made it as easy as possible from start to finish. And the good news is that I think we got some really good information, with more information coming. One issue is a couple small ulcers on my stomach, but they are “surface” so not deep and I’m sure we can manage those. The other one is something I was born with and might be TMI for some people, LOL. Given the way I’ve been feeling for a while now, I see all this as helpful news. I don’t expect instant solutions, just a path to managing it.
- We are having more freeway shut downs for repairs and improvements in our area so we’ll be staying close to home again. We have plenty to do so that’s fine. And since I can’t see Turbo (my grandson), I am hoping to drop by Youngest’s if they are around and play with Phoebe (one of my granddog).
So that’s my rather quick five, now I’d love to hear yours! I feel better as I’m writing this Thursday night, but I’m a bit sore (fully expected) and ready to sit on the new couch and do nothing but pet Maggie for an hour. I hope all of you have a fun and safe weekend!
Friday, October 14th, 2022
TGIF! I can’t believe it’s Friday again! But here we are, and it’s time to share 5 random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Monday I got my ultrasound done at 7:30 in the morning. I left early thinking there’d be traffic because I forgot it was Columbus Day. Let’s just say that I got there early, LOL. That’s okay, I was done by 8, went to Starbucks to grab a coffee and had the rest of my day to come home to a new trail of ants Evidently they don’t get Columbus Day off.
- Tuesday the exterminator came out. The day before we’d put out bait traps that seemed to stop the newest trail of ants. But since we are living in new construction we decided to go the extermination route for the first time ever. Our house is “wired” in the walls for a method of injecting a powder that is supposed to kill a lot of bugs. Plus they treated the outside and garage with the traditional method. I have no idea of this newfangled method (the wall wiring thing) works, but we should find out. If it does, we will keep the service for a while. So far, we’ve had zero new ants.
- Yesterday I spent a chunk of time designing “We’ve Moved” cards that I could order and have delivered to a local store. I’ve used this store at least a half dozen times for things like ordering custom Christmas cards. But when I went to order, they website refused to acknowledge our local store. I’m guessing it’s some glitch, but it’s weird. Especially since we not that physical store is definitely still open as Wizard just went there to buy some items one week ago. I’ll see if it works tomorrow, if not, then I’ll have to go somewhere else and redo the cards.
- Monday we’re scheduled to finally get the blinds installed. I’m really happy about that.
- This weekend, Wizard is going to try to go racing on Sunday. Saturday he and youngest son are picking up some wood and supplies to build a workbench and cabinets in the garage, and somewhere in there, we are trying to fit in a little furniture shopping. We are mainly looking at couches because the budget is a real thing. Sunday, I’d love to do something a little fun but who knows.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 7th, 2022
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week, here’s mine:
- Yesterday was a frustrating day. Before I whine, we are getting way more done than not, so this is just griping about little things. But yesterday was dealing with the last services getting set up, and the two things giving us headaches are TV and the landline (Wizard wants it with our old landline number because his aging mom knows that number– that’s a danged good reason). But the day just brimmed with frustration and ended with me on hold for an hour and a half and the useless old phone company that never answered. We just want to import the old number, not buy a human heart on the black market. However, we can live full and complete lives without the landline plus specific phone number so it’s minor but annoying.
- Maggie loves all the people coming to the house! It’s a party for her. We find her in the office staring out the window looking for more new friends. I love that for her. She also wants Wizard to take her to the mailbox every night after dinner. I soon learned why. Wizard was busy the other night, so I took her. I passed a guy who said, “Hi Maggie.” It figures, Maggie’s making friends in the neighborhood before me It turns out she’d met the new neighbor on one of the nights Wizard had taken her to the mailbox. He was very nice, and I was impressed that he remembered Maggie’s name!
- In case anyone here has a wheat allergy and needs gluten free food items, let me just say you have my full sympathy! They aren’t that easy to find and very expensive! I only need to do this for a few weeks so it’s not too big a deal. But for those who live with a wheat allergy, hugs!
- Today, Biker Witch and I are going to lunch to celebrate her birthday. I’m so looking forward to that! We’re going to Cheesecake Factory, and I’ll make the best choices I can with the low fodmat diet but one meal isn’t going to hurt me. I usually can’t eat much anyway lately (but sometimes I can!). Wizard is encouraging me to get dessert, eat a few bites and bring home the rest and he’ll eat it. He’s helpful like that!!
- Turbo is coming about to see our house! Oldest son (his dad) told me I should have the movers on standby in case Turbo doesn’t approve and we have to move back. Ha! Not even for Turbo would I move again! But I’m really looking forward to having Turbo and his parents out. It’s Turbo’s mom’s birthday this weekend too, and Oldest son said she wanted red velvet cupcakes. I have a good recipe, now we’ll see if my oven is up to the job!
That’s my five, but I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has the best weekend ever!
Friday, September 30th, 2022
TGIF!! I hope all our Florida friends are safe after the powerful hurricane and storm surges. We don’t have TV right now where I’d see more images, but I did see news feeds on my phone. That hurricane was scary, and the aftermath is horrendous.
Now to totally shift gears, let’s dive into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Maggie is adjusting to her new home. The first couple days she was exploring, running around and thrilled to see people coming and going. But during the nights, she was scared and barked in her kennel. The first night I let her out to sleep in her bed next to me. The second night, we made her tough it out, the third night she was such a good girl. I’m proud of her! Really! When we first got her, she barked ten long nights. Just so everyone knows we’re not being cruel, we have real reasons why we want her to sleep in a kennel, the two main ones being 1) she is so attached to me, we want to give her places to feel safe without me next to her, and 2) fire or other emergencies in the middle of the night — in her kennel we always know where she is and can quickly load her in the car to escape.
- We love it in the new house so far! Although Wizard took a picture of me trying to cook dinner in my new kitchen and posted it to our family message board saying, “Mom is lost trying to cook in the new kitchen!” He’s not wrong!!
- The day after we moved in, we had a plumbing issue that happened when Wizard was gone and I was just leaving for a long awaited specialist (gastroenterologist) appointment. Suddenly I heard a weird bubbling. At first, I thought it was the washing machine where I was washing towels, but it looked fine. I heard the noise again, and found the toilet in the bathroom next to the laundry room was bubbling. Like almost boiling. I looked for a shut off valve, when it stopped. I HAD to leave. I shut off the washer and called Wizard. He answered, and said the exact words I needed to hear: “I’m pulling in the driveway now, come outside, take the car and go, I’ve got this.” It turned out the housing track superintendent was right outside our house (even more luck!) and knew what it was. There’s a cleanout drain outside, and some worked had put paper towels down there. They cleaned out a wad and all is well. Crises averted!
- We’ve had lots of help! I want to give a shout out to middle son, youngest son, my youngest daughter in law AND her mom! They have all done so much! My sister’s been here twice too while dealing with her own home owner problems (water leak) because she’s my rock! Oldest son and his wife, as well as middle’s wife all have offered, but they are on call for later projects :-). So many people have called, texted and emailed, knowing what this move meant to us (there’s a lot of reasons it needed to happen) and we are so grateful for that support. And you all know we loved our old house too, but life and needs change.
- Fun story; two sons were here helping to install ceiling fans. Wizard was involved too, and being a “dad” telling the two boys what to do. The two boys have installed more ceiling fans than Wizard, so that was fun. Youngest DIL and I were sealing the granite and doing a ton of other stuff, but we saw all this, including the boys endless patience with dad’s constant advice. All the boys were in the master bedroom trying to figure out how the housing track color-coded the wiring in the ceiling fan prewire, and the two boys kept telling wizard they know what they’re doing. Finally the fan was in and they told Wizard to turn it on. He did…and sparks flew everywhere! I was walking through and ducked in panic. There was a stunned silenced afterward, then youngest announced, “It’s okay, everyone calm down.” No one screamed or said much, so yeah, we’ll do that youngest Anyhow, Wizard recovered from teh shock, looked at the two boys, “Told you it was wrong.” LOLOLOL!!! But all was fine. Middle (who has the most experience with all wiring, he really does know what he’s doing) replaced the wall switch, then they all redid the ceiling fan connections and it works great. They installed the next two without incident. Two morals to this story: 1) Our new house didn’t burn down and 2) Wizard is sure he was right! (For me, the best thing ever is that our kids wanted to be here to help!)
I know everyone will tire of hearing about the house. I totally understand. And we will soon learn the problems and challenges this house will have, but for the moment, we are enjoying it! I’ll try to post pictures on Monday (I hope — we keep getting sidetracked form goals by multiple ongoing projects).
So that’s my five and now I’d love to hear yours! I really do love hearing about your lives! Have a great weekend!
Next Page »