Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, July 10th, 2020
Another week zoomed by! So here’s my Friday Five:
- I have a good chunk of my Wing Slayer Story Bible done. The one that needs the most work is the overall timeline, and that’s something I’ll have to backfill as I read through the series, and think of things. But at least I have a really good start to work from now.
- Today I’m going to pull out my short synopsis of the next two books, and make some notes. I already know that writing detailed outlines is just makes the hunters find ways to screw them up, so…maybe I can outsmart them? Sigh…probably not. They live to torture me. I’ll just have to go through my normal write, delete, swear, beg and bargain, and then rewrite everything twenty more times to get the stories written!
- Under the category of Things Wizard Has A Meltdown About. I could quite literally come home with something completely frivolous like an expensive purse, and he’d say, “You deserve it.” But yesterday I came home with some new 20 oz plastic tumblers that cost 79 cents each to replace our old ones. He was AGHAST and said, “But I like these tumblers.” He actually held one up that he happened to be drinking tea out of like it was a trophy. I was super sympathetic when I laughed and told him to deal with the major life change and move on. He did
- I ended up with a UTI this week, and that slowed me down a bit. Annoying, but I got right into the doctor, and it should clear up. Once again, the doctor’s office had the whole Covid thing down, clearly taking reasonable precautions to protect themselves and the patients which I really appreciate.
- I haven’t killed my herbs plants! I don’t know if they’ll survive the hot, 100+, heat of summer, but I’m going to try! I’ll have to start actually using then in dishes soon.
That’s my five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a healthy and happy weekend!
Friday, July 3rd, 2020
**Edited to add the picture I forgot. First my blog didn’t post as scheduled, then later realized I neglected upload the picture into my post. Facepalm, LOL!
Happy Friday, the day before the Independence Day in the U.S.!
**NOTE** If you’re looking for an update on Wing Slayer Hunters, check out #2
Let’s move along to sharing five random things in our week:
- So as most of you probably know, I sent my book, SAVAGED DEVOTION, to my editor. I’m trying not to think about it because it’s out of my hands for now. But what I will share is that I cut nearly 70 pages and about 18 thousands words from my first draft. I am happy about that, and I suspect there’s more places I can cut and tighten.
- I am going to write more Wing Slayers Hunter books. This week, and probably next, I’ll be re-immersing myself in that world, and redoing my outlines and updating my bible that I desperately need to write these books. I want to write the next two books quickly, but one thing I know for sure, these books are hard to write. Very Hard. Well, all books are hard, but the world building in these books up that challenge significantly
- My little herb experiment is a bit out of control. In the picture below, I now have red bell pepper, English thyme, curled parsley, sweet mint and basil! I repurposed the silver container and put succulents into it–that sits on my patio table, but I moved it here for the picture so it wouldn’t feel left out. Also, if the my red pepper grows, I will have to transplant and get it a support system for it. I even had to buy the table I have the plants on now until I can talk either Wizard or Youngest Son into building me the big plant holder table I want. Well, unless I kill them all, then we shall never speak of this little adventure again.
- I’m listening to INSIDE THE FIVE-SIDED BOX by Ash Carter (former Secretary of Defense) on my youngest son’s recommendation. I hesitated on this one because youngest reads books that should be marketed as miracle cures for insomnia But he thought I’d enjoy learning about more about the pentagon and how things are run. He was right! I have a few other books lined up on my Kindle, but my physical reading is going to be focused on Wing Slayers for a couple weeks.
- I think Turbo is coming over for July 4th, but I haven’t verified that when I’m writing this blog. We are having serious Covid-19 spikes in CA (as it is in many other states) and huge increases in hospitalizations, causing restrictions to tighten up again. Wziard and I were being careful anyway, as are Turbo’s parents, so for now, we are going to keep seeing them.
That’s my Friday Five, and now I’d love to hear yours. I hope you all stay safe and well, and those of you in the U.S. have a great Fourth of July!
Friday, June 26th, 2020
TGIF! Okay, jumping right into sharing five random things about our week:
- My book will be ready to send to my editor the beginning of next week. That’s the great news.
- However, she’s booked up and dealing with a major life change, so it’s going to be a while, possibly even months, before she can get to it. I’m not going to stress about it, I’ll send it to her next week and she’ll do it when she can. I feel she’s very important to the trilogy since she edited the first two books.
- Next week, I will pull out the Wing Slayers and see if it’s feasible to keep going with that series. I want to, but I also have to support myself I think I can do it, but I’m going to really make sure before I fully commit.
- California is one of three states seriously spiking in Covid. It’s depressing as hell. We closed down early and hard, flattened the curve at a huge economic and emotional price. And then what do we do? We let a big dose of Stupid, along with her cousins, Foolishly Stubborn and Willfully Ignorant in to ruin it for everyone. Sigh.
- But it’s Friday! Sunday, I’m going to see my grandson. And I think today I might make some cookies, either shark cookies for Turbo, or special chocolate chip cookies for Youngest. Not sure which boy will win the cookie prize yet
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope all of you have a fun and healthy weekend!
Friday, June 19th, 2020
Guess what time it is again? That’s right, it’s Friday Five! Here’s mine!
- Busy, busy, busy! I’ve rewritten the climax scene at the end four times, but I think I’m close to happy with it at this point, so yay! I’ll see when I reread it this morning, and do a little clean up. I’m projecting finishing up this revision pass Monday or Tuesday, or possibly Wednesday as I have a couple threads I need to go back and tie up.
- My basil and oregano seeds are growing great so far! My rosemary is just beginning to sprout. I’m silly with excitement that I’ve kept it alive for two or three weeks. I was going to take a picture but the day flew by before I got a chance.
- Maggie’s not happy that I tried to get her to model her new collar. She’ll sit because I told her to, but you can see her complaining, She’s got a little drama queen in her sometimes, LOL!
- I tried a one pan chicken fajita recipe last night and I love it, and Wizard happily ate it. He even ate some cooked onion and bell peppers, which surprised me.
- Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there! I think two out of three kids are coming here, and third kid has family going to his house, and included us, it just didn’t work out. It should be fun.
That’s my quick Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend, and a good Father’s Day!
Friday, June 12th, 2020
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I have 300 hundred pages revised. Well for those pages, it was just a little cutting, redoing a lazy sex scene, and general cleanup. Fixing the sex scene took the most time, as those have to dig into emotions and trust, or have some value, otherwise, they’re pointless and boring. Especially in the third book of a trilogy. But, oh my gosh, I once again love Justice and Liza, and I’m adore Justice’s dad, Noah and Liza’s mom, Amber. All these characters are truly trying to become the best version of themselves.
- Ideally, I’d like to cut 10 to 20K words in the next 200 pages, but that’s a tall order so we’ll see. This last part will probably take up to a week, or as long as I need, to do it right. Then while I’m working on the final clean edit, I’ll reach out to my editor who worked on the other two books to see if she has any room on her schedule. Once my editor gets a hold of it, I’m sure I’ll have a lot more revisions in my future.
- I had a glass of wine last night and enjoyed it. Lately, we’ve stopped drinking wine most evenings. It just sort of happened. Part of it was being tired in the evenings from world events stress, I guess. Which is kind of funny since a chunk of the memes on FB are about drinking more during the pandemic. I’m such a rebel, LOL!
- Maggie’s new collar and leash should come today. She’s very excited
- We might see Turbo on Sunday. I’m so caught up in work right now, I’m barely noticing much else. Getting this book done to the best of my ability is vitally important to me. While it was circumstances beyond my control that stopped my writing, I still let down fans and I don’t take that lightly.
That’s my lame five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend, and stays healthy and safe.
Friday, June 5th, 2020
TGIF! Wow this was a speedy week. And now it’s already time to share five random things about our week.
- My face is healing after losing the fight with a knob. So humiliating. The only two places I’ve gone this week is grocery shopping and I had to return something at Kohls.
- Speaking of Kohls, the one nearest me just reopened. They have limited hours, one way in and one way out, employees are wearing masks and cleaning after each customer. I appreciate all their precautions. What I don’t appreciate is the older woman who pitched a fit because the dressing rooms are not open yet, and she was rude to clerks. It must have been a shock for her to learn that Kohls decided protecting all the customer and employees health is more important that her wish to try something on.
- I started reading through my book yesterday, and got about 120 pages done. And suddenly, I’m feeling all the old pressure of trying to do a LOT of work, and meet other demands on my time. Making it even more frustrating, Wizard is bored and I try not to work past 4 or 5. I’m not complaining, but I’m really seeing how danged hard I drove myself in the past. I’ll find a good balance.
- I planted my three herbs in the cute container and they are already sprouting on my kitchen windowsill! I suspect I goofed up the way I put the seeds in but the instructions were unclear, and I had no idea what I was doing. Live and learn.
- It looks like Turbo is coming over Saturday. The plan is a little vague, something about Turbo and his mom will come to my house, Wizard and Oldest will go to help Youngest do something, then all will return to swim, and somehow food will magically appear. I suspect I’m the magic that will make food appear Okay, that’s not true, they would all be fine with picking something up. I have to remember that *I’m* the one who puts too many expectations on myself.
So that’s my five, and now I’d love to hear yours! Have a great weekend!
Friday, May 29th, 2020
TGIF! Jumping right into Friday Five:
- I’m trying to write the black moment and climax of the book, but flailing around. Plus it’s been a busy week, limiting my writing time. But I’m happy just to feel the drive to tell the story, and to be able to plant my butt in the chair and concentrate enough to write. Writing feels like a gift I truly cherish.
- I saw Biker Witch yesterday, which was great. We got a coffee and walked around Target. Of course, it’s a little awkward with masks to both drink coffee and talk. But it was great to see her.
- I bought a little set of herbs to try and grow. Pity the Basil, Oregano and Rosemary that ended up with me as their adopted mom, LOL!
- Today is Middle Son’s birthday. We’re going to see him tonight, and I’m making him his favorite lemon pound cake. I can’t wait to see him, his wife and two dogs!
- Tomorrow, Wizard is going to help Oldest paint a patio cover. I brilliantly volunteered to watch Turbo so I could have him all to myself. However, I suspect Turbo is going to insist on seeing what dad and grandpa are doing. I’ll have fun, even if I share my grandson
That’s five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear yours. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy weekend!
Next Page »