Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, December 8th, 2017
**Sorry for the late post, I set the wrong time when I scheduled the blog last night.**
That whooshing sound is another week flying by, and once again it’s time for Friday Five! Here are five random things about my week.
- Today I see the new pain specialist and hopefully he or she will keep going with the pain shots.
- Southern California is on fire. I’ve lost track of how many are burning and it’s heartbreaking to see people losing their homes, businesses, and animals. Wizard and I have been lucky so far with no fires close to us, but I’m heartbroken and worried about all the people in the paths of the flames or the smoke. The fire crews are exhausted, and the work treacherous. Police and other agencies are coordinating evacuations, volunteers are arranging and running shelters, and the media is running around asking victims how it feels to watch your home burn down.
- Here’s a picture that shows why Wizard and I are so vigilant about fires–this is where I was hiking with Maggie yesterday in the hills behind our house. It wouldn’t take more than a spark to send the whole area up in flames. We walked from our house, telling you how close it is. Just to balance things out, here’s a pretty view shot of the lake that made the climb worth it:
- Trying to get a handle on Christmas is taking up all my time as usual. I love the holiday, but my energy is limited right now which sucks time from any hope of writing. It will improve though, so I’m trying not to let it get to me.
- Tomorrow we’re going to CPA Boy and Special K’s, along with our other two sons and their fiances, for a “Nursery Assembly Day” to help them get the baby’s room ready. They are so cute! The baby isn’t due until late March, but since CPA boy will be going into his busy season right after Christmas, and they wanted to get it all done now so they’ll be all set. It’s going to be fun!
Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, December 1st, 2017
Happy Friday! As usual, the week was a blur. And today is December 1st! Nooo!!! I’m not ready! Anyway, it’s time to list five random things from our week.
- Monday I took Wizard to a specialist for his eyes. That went well, EXCEPT that we were there three freaking hours. We arrive twenty minutes early and waited two hours past our appointment time before we saw the doctor. Does anyone even care anymore?
- In good news, I see my new pain doctor a week from today. I had the one out of three pain shots completed before my previous doctor screwed that up in a colossal way. But that one pain shot helped enough for me to endure getting through changing doctors and setting up the new referrals so that’s something I’m grateful for.
- Wizard does NOT agree with me on the pain shots. He thinks I’m going to need surgery and that I need to see a neurosurgeon ASAP. Just the idea of surgery aggravates me. I’ve lost too much too and disappointed a lot of fans. It weighs on me every damned day. I know it was beyond my control, and we’re all tired of hearing it, but I hate letting down readers who’ve been so wonderful. They deserve better.
- It was cool enough yesterday morning for Maggie to wear the shirt her “godmother” gave her on our morning walk. Maggie’s godmother is youngest son (BLB’s) finance. Wizard deemed her Maggie’s godmother as she’s the our emergency number on all Maggie’s files. She’s also the vet assistant who takes care of Maggie, so it makes sense FYI the shirt says “I Whine, She Wines.”
- Today I’m writing and meeting Biker Witch for coffee. This weekend, Wizard and I are checking out a daycare/boarding facility for Maggie and I’m working some more. I’m going to get as much of this revision going as I can before more holiday stuff kicks in.
Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five! Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Friday, November 17th, 2017
Friday??? Seriously??? Where did the week go? Okay let’s do 5 things about our week!
- Not long after our trip to Florida, a very close family member was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. We’ve been shocked, devastated and scared. This week, we got a glimmer of hope for him in a second opinion and a possible treatment option. There’s no predicting how this will turn out, but we are very grateful for this ray of hope. There are so many people in the medical field working to save, extend and improve the quality of lives for people dealing with serious illnesses, and we are thankful. (It has been a brutal year with family health problems, weird how it all happens like that.)
- I’m working on SAVAGED DEVOTION when I can, but I can’t begin to predict now when it will be released. Last night, I was working, again, on my opening scene, and two distinct solutions occurred to me like light bulbs going on. I love those moments! Again, I’m both grateful and thankful to feel like my ability to write is returning.
- I saw Biker Witch yesterday for lunch and fun! We had prime rib/French dip sandwiches that rocked my world. Or maybe I just really needed some sister time
- I’m taking Maggie in for a vet check with the veterinarian my son’s fiance works for. (I took Bailey Dog there a few times too, they are great.) I’m paying for this myself to make sure she’s healthy and adoptable…because obviously I’m stupid in love with her Wizard really likes her too, although Maggie can be a little uncertain and skittish with him when I leave. She’s fine with him when I’m here so it’s getting better. We just have to believe that she will continue to improve with consistent love and structure. But if the vet finds problems, we have to re-evaluate given that we’re dealing with with serious family health issues, plus mine. I doubt anything serious will come up though.
- Do you guys realize Thanksgiving is next week??? Who let the holidays in????
Okay now it’s your turn to share five random things about your week. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, November 10th, 2017
Happy Friday! It’s time to list five random things about your week. Here’s mine:
- I’m enjoying walking and playing with Maggie so much, I gave myself a wicked case of shin splints on my right leg It’s improving day by day exactly like shin splints does. Over the weekend, I was running barefoot with Maggie on cement in the backyard, and I definitely brought this on myself.
- Still talking about Maggie–I left her with Wizard again yesterday for a couple hours with no crying! Her separation anxiety is improving as her confidence grows. She’s definitely a submissive/timid girl, but she’s really blossoming. We’re all learning.
- I working and reworking the first few pages of Savaged Devotions as I mentally replot the whole book and timeline from my critique partner’s awesome suggestions. Normally I rewrite much faster, but the whole Real Life things keeps getting in the way. However, I’m once again finding myself thinking about the book in any free moment, and that’s both a huge relief, and exciting, at the same time. I had began to wonder where the magic of hearing characters in my head, and feeling the drive to write, had gone. For months, it was only flickers in radio silence. It was frustrating and scary. (Also scary is trying to get my RA meds approved by my new insurance when I’m already late, but I don’t want to dwell on that right now. I’m thinking positive as much as I can.)
- This story has haunted me since I saw it on the news Wednesday night. It’s about animal abuse, so feel free to skip this if you want. But I just can’t shake it off–some asshole poured boiling water in his girlfriend’s dog. That is pure evil and enrages me, and I know all of you feel the same. The one bright spot is that the poor little dog cried out for help–and two 17 year olds were his hero that day. I’m so proud of them! They heard him crying, videoed the jerk, and called the police. I’m really proud of those teenagers! (I can’t believe that asshole who did it is out on bail though.)
- This weekend I’m going to my niece’s wedding shower. That’ll be fun to see her, and all the family as well celebrate her upcoming marriage in January.
That’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 20th, 2017
It’s like I should have this on repeat–where does the time go? This was another supersonic week! I can’t even keep up this crazy year. Let’s do our Friday Five:
- Yesterday Wizard was gone, and Maggie and I did a little work. Well one of us worked and one of us did this…
- Maggie’s back to complaining for a while when she goes into her kennel for the night. She appears safe and fine, so we’re trying a few different things to help her adjust but otherwise we’re ignoring it and she eventually goes to sleep. Trust me, the dog is very smart, and not above trying to get her way in some things. Overall though she’s a really good girl. I’m taking her on one to two miles walks and she’s just trots along at my side. So far, she hasn’t had any accidents, doesn’t chew on the wrong things and tries hard to please us.
- I’m going to ask everyone to bear with me. Things are going to get a little worse with me health wise as I switch doctors over the next month and try to get all the meds and specialist changed, then I expect it to get better. But I want you all to know that I’m working on Savaged Devotion and will get back up to speed soon.
- For a while I wasn’t really reading books due to the distractions of life, plus I was using audio books to drown out the ringing in my ears. But…I started one of Laurann Dohner’s News Species series that I really enjoy and I’m hooked. Oddly enough…that’s helping me streamline my plot on SAVAGED DEVOTION. These two books aren’t anything alike, but reading other people’s work just tends to help me step out of my own way I think
- This weekend will be low-key I hope. Another family member is ill, so we’re a little concerned about that. Otherwise, we may have a visitor or two to see Maggie and I’ll work as much as I can. Monday will be long as we’re going to a funeral that’s quite a distance away.
Okay that’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn to share yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 13th, 2017
It’s that time again to list our five random things about our week!
- I’ve hit the wall last night. I came home from the NINC conference energized, but life is running fast and hard this week and not letting me catch my breath or concentrate on writing. Today, I have an early morning appointment then I’m getting back to writing!
- We met three potential foster dogs on Wednesday. Our first choice is a sweet little chihuahua mix (she’s a little bigger than an average chihuahua, curious and submissive with new people), and if all goes well, we’ll pick her up next week. Right now, her name is Nana but I just can’t call her by that name as it’s what my kids call Wizard’s mom. So I’m going to ask if I can change her name to Maggie–she looks like a Maggie. Although I’d be happy with almost any other name besides Nana. I didn’t take pictures like I should have because I really wanted to focus on the dogs not photo ops :-). If by chance she’s adopted over the weekend, then we’ll probably take the second choice, an eight year old laid back Pomeranian named Larry. He came across as a pretty mellow guy. We also met a scared little terrier that really tugged on both Wizard and my hearts. This dog has been seriously neglected or abused and afraid to let anyone touch him. It’s heartbreaking. I hate anyone who intentionally abuses an animal that way. I want everyone to be assured though, the shelter staff really care about this little dog. They have him in a kennel with two little friends that he loves to play with, and they have a trainer coming in to see if he can work with him. We’re keeping the little terrier in mind, but we don’t want to take him out of the place he feels safe unless we’re reasonably confident we can help him. And for sure, I’ll take pictures when we pick up our foster pup!
- We had a sudden death in our extended family this week It’s always sad, and I wish I could spare my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and nieces the pain of losing a beloved father and grandfather, but unfortunately, I can’t. I hate when people we love hurt, but all we can do is be there for them.
- In good news, we’re going to a birthday party for my daughter-in-law, Special K, this weekend. That’s the reason I put off picking up our foster pup until next week–I didn’t want to leave her a really long stretch of time the first few days home. I can’t wait to see how Special K is showing in her pregnancy, and I’ll get to see Middle Son’s fiance’s ring in person Middle Son is very proud of choosing that ring (and I’m proud of him for choosing a great girl!).
- I’m so sluggish from poor eating and lack of exercise, but I can do small things to change that. Getting a foster pup will help me get more active too. It’s a win-win!
Okay that’s my Friday Five. Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five.
Friday, September 22nd, 2017
It’s the end of another week! I don’t have enough pages to show for it, but it’s been a much better week! On to our Friday Five!
- I keep meaning to ask Anna (my awesome virtual assistant) to make a graphic for Friday 5, but then forget to follow through with her no matter how many times I talk to Anna during the week. That may be a metaphor for my life lately.
- So how do you guys feel about forgiving people who hurt you? I’m working on recognizing when the situation wasn’t really about me, but the person’s own personal struggles and demons. (Thank you to Wizard and Young Son (BLB) for helping me sort this out.)
- I’m listening to a Nora Roberts audiobook WITNESS and loving it! I can’t remember the last time I read or listened to a Nora book (I’m not including her JD Robbs).
- Tomorrow morning, I go for my first pain shot. Fingers crossed it works. I’m not nervous at all as I’m writing this, tomorrow could be a different story. And if anyone is curious, I’ve decided to do it under a local block rather an IV anesthesia. Yes, I am that much of a control freak
- I have a non-writing, not family secret and it’s killing me. And nope, I’m not telling you unless (unless a chocolate bribe is involved!)
Okay that’s my random five things about my weekend, now it’s your turn to share yours!
Have a great weekend!
Next Page »