Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, November 15th, 2019
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- We had another heartbreaking school shooting yesterday in California. We are desperately sad and angry, as I imagine most people feel about these horrible and completely pointless tragedies. The poor families and survivors have had their lives shattered in a few moments of terror, and for what? I can’t even pretend to understand. Some days, I really like fictional worlds better than the one we live in.
- We went to see the new movie Midway, and really liked it.
- I wrote a tad yesterday, desperately trying something to fix problems. Moving a scene around might do it…or not…who knows! What I do know for sure, is I need to get mean about writing time if I want to get back to the job I still love
- So on Wednesday, I told Wizard I was expecting a package from Amazon. Naturally he asked me what it was, and I told him a blue pumpkin. I think he just heard “pumpkin”. When it arrived and I opened it, he was so confused. “It’s blue.” So I explained it was for the Thanksgiving table to go with some other, smaller pumpkins and burlap leaves I’d already bought. His next question was, “But why blue?” I pointed to my kitchen “fall” towels that have pumpkins on it, including a blue one and said, “It has to match. I can’t possibly host Thanksgiving if my table decorations don’t match the towels.” He’s been with me enough years to guess I was yanking his chain He just smiled blandly and asked if I needed anything else. Some days, he has the whole husband-of-a-crazy-writer thing totally nailed. “Nope,” I replied, “I’m good. I mean I have a plastic blue pumpkin, what else could I want?” I was pretty serious about that–my blue pumpkin makes me happy, LOL!
- I’m not sure what I’m doing this weekend. I may see a kid or grandkid, on the other hand, I wouldn’t mind actually working either. Although Wizard seems to keep coming up with ways to distract me from work too. But back to the weekend…no firm plans yet so anything could happen!
So that’s my five random things, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, November 8th, 2019
TGIF! Boom, another week gone! But I’ve had a chance to catch my breath a little bit, and now, let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week:
- I had coffee with Biker Witch yesterday. For once, I wasn’t in a time crunch, so that was nice. But while with her, I could not think of the word “charitable” when I describing something to her. So frustrating when a word slips my mind like that!
- Wizard and I had an excellent dinner at the Orange County Mining Company to celebrate our Anniversary. If you didn’t see it on my FB page, here’s a picture with the nighttime view behind us.
- One of my BEST decisions regarding my wedding attire was the $12.00 pair of flat sandals that I bought from Amazon. They are blush champagne colored with rhinestones. After the ceremony and pictures, I switched to those flat sandals and enjoyed the reception in total comfort! Best $12.00 bucks I spent, LOL!
- Last weekend was pretty wild here at our house with the preparations, rehearsal dinner, wedding, and rotating overnight guests. I’m soooo glad we decided to take Maggie to boarding. She always comes home thrilled to see us, and with no signs of any anxiety. But I suspect if she’d stayed home, she’d have been stressed with the level of chaos and lack of sleep in the house, plus we were gone about 9 or 10 hours on the wedding day, and she has no way to go outside if someone isn’t home. I’m so grateful a place to take her where she’s comfortable and secure while we’re otherwise occupied, and I don’t have to worry if she’s okay or not. Wizard is the one who pushed me to find that place, so Kudos to Wizard!
- New Daughter-in-Law got her cast on yesterday for the foot she broke a week before the wedding. It’s a pretty big cast! She was sore after the wedding, and really has been staying off it. But on her wedding day, she wore a sandal and refused to let a broken foot slow her down. The mother in me worried but I also really admire her sheer grit and refusal to let an injury get in the way of her joy or the wedding pictures. Now she and my son are very focused on making sure that foot heals right, and doing whatever she needs to make that happen.
Tomorrow, Wizard and I have a breakfast date at McDonalds with Turbo Terror (my grandson). Don’t be jealous, LOL! Anyway, that’s my five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, November 1st, 2019
TGIF! Oh my gosh, it’s November! Okay, let’s dive right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- So my almost daughter-in-law saw the ortho, and the break in her foot is worse than the urgent care doctor diagnosed. But this orthopedic did her a favor, and said he’d put a cast on next week AFTER her wedding. In the meantime, he gave her guidelines and told her to go enjoy her day. I like him Wedding glitches happen, what’s important is that she heals well.
- I got the results of my blood work–all good! Whew, guys, I am relieved and happy! I had a short-term flare of my RA that was looking like it could be ugly, but it resolved and I’m feeling better now. The blood work reassured me, and YAY for some good news.
- Wizard is sulking because I always have better numbers than he does. Of course, I wouldn’t rub that in, bwahahaha! He might be naturally slim and in shape, but I eat better
- I saw a woman today walking a massive German shepherd, and she had full control of her dog. He was so happy and confident walking with her, doing a very dignified prance. It just make me smile to see how much time and care she’d obviously invested into her dog, making sure he’s well controlled, stable and still very happy. I deduced all this in about 90 seconds of observation because, at my soul, I’m a writer and I always write a story in my head
- As you all know, Youngest Son’s wedding is Sunday. I probably won’t post Monday, but I’ll tell you all about it on Wednesday. For now, I’ll just say this–Wizard and I couldn’t be happier!
That’s my five, and I really want to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 25th, 2019
TGIF! Am I posting on the right day? This week is totally off for me. I’m positive I misplaced a day somewhere, LOL! But assuming it really is Friday, here’s 5 random things about my week:
- Oh my gosh, Youngest is getting married in just over a week! How did that sneak up on us?
- Realizing #1 meant I spent yesterday running around getting last-minute stuff I needed. I finally ordered a small purse from Amazon as I couldn’t find one in the right color that I liked anywhere. I think I only have one more thing to pick up.
- Our new garage doors are great, and we got a price we thought fair. Then our ice maker stopped working…LOL! We got it working again, then realized how old the refrigerator is. Sigh, it’s going on the list of things that eventually will need to be replaced. However, it’s all working now so it can sit on that list for years and wait its turn or risk my wrath. I know that refrigerator is scared and will mind me
- Back to Youngest Son. He texted me a couple of nights ago and said, “Mom do you want to come over Saturday and help me paint my home office?” I used to be really good at tell my kids no, what happened? Also, I’m really impressed that they are getting so much done in that house, even with the wedding a week away. Time Management and Will Power!
- Do you all know how much we use the elbow on our dominate arm? I do! All the freaking time. The shot has helped my tendonitis some, and I wear the brace (per the doctor’s insistent orders), but I’m vividly aware of how much I use that elbow these days. It’s amazing how we take what our bodies do daily for granted until something gets old and cranky, LOL! (In case anyone is wondering about my tendonitis and #4, I can paint, especially if I do more trim work than the repetitive rolling of the walls. I may be a little sore, but I don’t mind–it’s better than sitting around and not doing stuff.)
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! Have a great weekend!
Friday, October 18th, 2019
TGIF!! Let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- We got a bunch of quotes for new garage doors. Once we passed through the stages of shock, anger, bargaining with God to win lotto, and finally acceptance, we made a decision Our new garage doors will be installed on Tuesday. We had two quotes over the phone (worthless for fairly obvious reasons–if you’re too lazy to come out and do a proper quote with pesky measurements and all, we’re too lazy to hire you), and four in-person quotes, and in that process, Wizard and I learned a lot more than we ever planned to know about roll up garage doors. But it did help us make a decision. I’m not even going to talk about California’s insane laws because I don’t have a seaweed, emotional support latte to help me think. Nor would I drink that if I did have it
- Still kind of, sort of, writing. Last night I thought I’d ruined the book, today I’m thinking…I need a latte. No wait, I’m thinking the book isn’t bad and I can totally make it work…but I should still get a latte. Maybe I’ll go buy one tomorrow because I’m irritating myself with my sudden latte obsession.
- I saw my doctor this week, mostly to deal with my right elbow and other assorted stuff. He did another shot in my elbow, plus an x-ray, and I’m waiting to hear on that. I have looked at the x-rays images myself, but then I remembered that I never went to medical school, so…yeah…my diagnosis is worth as much as my non-existent medical degree. It’s probably just chronic tendonitis from an old injury, and also I’m recommending latte physical therapy to heal the stupid elbow. Bending my elbow to drink qualifies as therapy, right? Ha! I live in California, of course, it does!
- Maggie charmed the man yesterday who came over to finalize the garage door thing. She was all shy, sweet and wiggly, and it works every time. Just like the time she met us and used her adorable charm to secure her forever home and human servants. Yeah, we eventually caught onto her methods, but she has us too well-trained now to do anything but fulfill her every wish.
- Turbo is coming over Sunday and spending the night again. Maggie is resting up! Wizard and I are making sure to keep those days clear to enjoy The Turbo Toddler. If it goes as well as last time, we’ll be thrilled. And if it doesn’t, we’ll still enjoy having him because that’s what grandparents do. Then we’ll send him home and crash–maybe with a latte. Or wine. Probably wine if we have the energy to lift a wine glass.
That’s my five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear yours. Have a great weekend!
Friday, October 11th, 2019
TGIF! Okay let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- It’s been a quiet week compared to most weeks lately. So yay! I got a little writing done too. I’m moving through rewriting, and hitting the halfway point. I will finish this book! The good news is my concentration is improving. It’s a slow process, and sometimes frustrating, but it is definitely happening.
- Maggie was a little sore for a day or so from her DHPP booster shot on Tuesday, but her appetite was normal. That’s much better than the Rabies vaccine which upsets her stomach for a few days. Thankfully we only have to do that one every three years now. The side effects are a small price to pay though, as the vaccines save our pets from being desperately sick, and/or dying, from specific diseases. By the way, Maggie never complains or whines, we just noticed she’s slow and favoring the one leg, so we encouraged her to rest more.
- After a consultation with two lawyers, Wizard and I are finally getting our affairs in order, so to speak. This is something we’ve said we were going to do for five years. Not that we procrastinate or anything, LOL! However it feels good to get that sorted out and in progress. We are both fine, this is just one of those things that’s on our list of things to do.
- Apparently, Turbo has been saying Maggie’s name since he went home after spending the night here. Not Grandma or Grandpa Nope, he’s been saying Maggie. How cute is that?
- Saturday, we are going to CPA Boy’s and Special K’s house to celebrate Special K’s birthday. Maggie has a special invitation because of #4
See? My week was quieter than usual, and next week is looking like it might be reasonable too. Now it’s your turn to share five things about your week! I hope everyone has a terrific weekend!
Friday, October 4th, 2019
It’s time to share five random things about our week. I’ll start with mine:
- We went to the dentist yesterday and I got an A+. Wizard did not, LOL! Yep, I gloated, but only because his was really minor stuff and he teases me about my slightly over the top obsession with brushing and flossing my teeth.
- I had hours on Wednesday to write and could not make a short scene work. Thursday I had less than an hour before leaving for the dentist and that’s when the solution came to me. That’s pretty much my writing life
- My brother called yesterday and he’s doing great after his cancer surgery. I’m so happy that he went after this so fast and aggressive. His prognosis is really positive. Luck played a huge part in that too, of course. He was able to catch it early, it’s a cancer that can be surgically removed, he had access to health care…so many factors that contributed to his good outcome. I am very aware of how fortunate we are. We also have a relative fighting hard with a less positive prognosis.
- Today I’m taking Biker Witch out to celebrate her birthday! I’m looking forward to a sister day. We will probably manage to stay out of trouble. Maybe.
- Saturday is a big day for us! The plan is that our grandson will spend the night without his parents for the first time. Of course, with a toddler things can change, and Turbo can struggle with teething now and again. But right now, his parents plan to drop him off, leave, and come back Sunday to pick him up. This wouldn’t be a big deal if we lived closer, but we are a solid hour (more with traffic) away and Turbo’s only 18 months old. I so appreciate them doing this! Wizard is so excited! I am too, but seeing Wizard’s joy just adds to mine.
So that’s my week and weekend plans. Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
Next Page »