Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, October 26th, 2018
TGIF! It’s almost Halloween, and that means the holiday season is almost here. Where did the year go? Well that’s another blog Right now, it’s time to share five things about our week:
- I made enchiladas and froze some of them for Wizard to eat while I’m recovering. He was happy.
- I also made brownies this week. I believe we’ve discussed my lack of self-control.
- Decaf coffee makes me sad. (I switched over slowly to decaf until after the surgery.)
- Maggie heard Coyotes howling the other night, and just had to run outside to check “her lizards” which is to say, she checked the trash cans where she finds the most lizards to chase. I guess she thought the coyotes were going to steal her lizards????
- We had a Movie Fail yesterday. We tried to see First Man before my surgery since Wizard really wanted to see it. When we got in the theater, the screen wasn’t on at all, so I let the management know. The screen came on and 25 minutes later it was still playing commercials. At that point, we got a refund and so did most of the other people in that theater. It’s a small annoyance in life.
So that’s my five things that I can think of right off the top of my head. Now it’s your turn!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 19th, 2018
Well hello there, Friday, how are you? So nice to see you again even though it feels like it’s only been ten minutes since we last saw you Okay, it’s time to list 5 things about our week. Here are mine:
- My Brother In Law wins the Mega-Tough Award! He had open heart surgery and while he’s in pain, he’s getting up, sitting in a chair and walking a few steps at a time. That’s pretty danged impressive! My sister, Biker Witch, is doing well. I worry about her because that’s what sisters do, but she’s been handling all this like a champ.
- Maggie is mad at me right now because I won’t move the trash cans fifty million times. She’s convinced there’s a lizard under there, which there was, but he escaped to a safer spot an hour ago. Maggie refuses to believe it.
- I bought new Sketcher sneakers at Target. I think I can wear them for everyday stuff, not for hiking though (I use my old, dirty but reliable, Reeboks.) Finding shoes I can actually wear has been a battle for years. I’ve wasted so much money on shoes, and I hate that. Every time I find a pair I can wear, I want to celebrate!
- Wizard’s new phone is doing this quirky disappearing act with keyboard screen. He took it into the cellphone store once and they reset it for him. It still did it, so he went back again, and they ordered him a new one. It’ll be here in a day or two, and I’m happy with that response. I did try to get him to upgrade to the same phone that I have, but he refused. He really likes his phone, except for that one weird issues. If the new one works as it should, he’ll be satisfied.
- Today I have my last pre-op, and this one is with my surgeon. He will go over my pre-op tests, and make sure everything is set for surgery. After that…I can still run Okay I’m mostly kidding. I’m focusing on a positive outcome and getting back to the job I love!
That’s my five, now it’s your turn to share five things about your week.
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 12th, 2018
How can it be Friday??? Well to be fair, we didn’t get home from San Diego until Monday afternoon, so we sort of lost a day So I’ll accept that it’s Friday, and time to share five random things around our week. Here’s mine:
- When Wizard and I got home Monday and got out of the car, guess who was here to greet us??? THE SNAKE!!! HE CAME BACK! We got everything in the house, and Wizard chased him into the street, and then we lost him again. We figured he had of made his way back to the front hill but weren’t sure where.
- Two days later, I took Maggie out with me to get the mail, and jokingly told her to “Your job is to find that snake.” Honest to God, she found him! He’d slithered to the trunk of a plant, curled around it and died (probably from a car, but we’re not sure). Wizard and I had looked for that snake and couldn’t find him. It took Maggie less than two minutes, LOL! I know it was coincidence, but it was freaky.
- Wednesday I did all my pre-op tests. Luckily the doctor visit, blood work and x-ray were all in the same building, so I got it all finished in a couple hours. Then Wizard and I bought our new phones. Now my kids, sister and the rest of the universe can stop teasing us for while
- How many coyotes does it take to make a pack? I saw four yesterday morning when Maggie and I were walking. I spotted them, and they saw us too. I put Maggie in a stop/sit (it’s a quick command that drops her wherever she is) and I stopped, staying still. All four coyotes headed back up into the hills to where the wild life preservation was before the fire. Once they were far enough away for me to feel safe, I moved to the trail the farthest away from them and headed to the street. We were fortunate. I know they’re hungry and hunting, but they aren’t desperate enough to attack a full grown human with a dog. Maggie was really good, doing exactly what I told her too. She doesn’t always do that, but I’m assuming she sensed either my caution or the danger of the coyotes.
- Thursday, we went to see Baby Slayer. He’s cute as ever! We always have fun with him! Plus Special K helped Wizard with his new phone. Umm…Wizard doesn’t adapt well to change
That’s my five. Today, Maggie goes to the vet for the remainder of her shots. Keep your fingers crossed for her, we believe she had a reaction to her rabies shot almost two weeks ago. Because Maggie’s Vet Tech is also my future daughter in law, she’s already talked to the vet about Maggie’s reaction to the rabies shot last time, and they advised me how to pre-treat her to, hopefully, lessen any reaction. Either way, these shots are important, so we’re going to do it and get her through it.
Now it’s your turn to share your Friday 5! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, October 5th, 2018
TGIF!!! I expected the week to be busy, but wow!! Nothing bad happened, though, so I’ll take it! Now it’s time to share 5 random things about our week, and I’ll go first:
1) First, Happy Birthday to the best sister in the world, Biker Witch! I’ve had to lean on her quite a bit in the last 18 months, and I believe she leans on me too. I not only have a great sister but a treasured friend.
2) Middle Son is getting married on Sunday! Wizard and I are thrilled that he has found the woman he wants to spend his life with, one who makes him laugh, and calls him on his B.S. Middle Son is highly intelligent, brimming with charm and brought so much laughter and joy to our family from the day he was born. And now he’s bringing his dad and I a daughter (in-law) to love, and his brothers a sister (in-law) to torment and protect. We are bouncing with happiness.
3) Wizard and I actually, really, truly went and looked at cell phones yesterday! After TWO FREAKING YEARS OF PROCRASTINATING. We are awesome procrastinators. I think we found what we want. My only reservation is my new phone will be much bigger than I’m used to, which is good for most things, but not for my walks. That’s a small thing I can adjust too. But since we’re so busy through the weekend, we decided to wait until Tues or Wed to buy it. Both Wizard and I will have a learning curve on our new phones, and this weekend isn’t the time to tackle that. Plus I wanted to research the phones because I’m compulsive like that. But all our family and friends will be astounded that we finally went to the store, got the info, and narrowed down our choices. Following through is something we’re actually good at
4) So this month, we have two major surgeries in the family. The first is my brother-in-law, who needs to have a pretty serious surgery. Keep him in your thoughts mid month. I’m not going to give other people’s information out, but while he’s facing a tough surgery and recovery, I truly believe the outcome will be very positive. And then my surgery has been schedule for Oct. 30th. It’s scary to do it, but I want to feel strong and ready to take on life again. Hopefully I’ll have my new phone and be able to keep everyone who is interested updated. My old phone is so antiquated I really can’t do much on it anymore.
5) And finally, I have to share a Baby Slayer pic with his big grin around his sippy cup (that he loves!). This kid is almost always a happy boy.
Okay now it’s your turn to share your Friday 5! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, September 28th, 2018
Poof, another week has vanished! Which means it’s time for Friday Five, where we all share five random things from our week. Here are mine:
- SNAKE!!! I looked out back on Wednesday, and saw Maggie staring down something that, at first, I assume was a lizard. They were on the other side of the pool, the thing in planter against the fence, and Maggie on the concrete about 18 inches away from it. I couldn’t see the critter’s body, just its head poking up over the lip of the concrete, frozen and staring back at Maggie. When I saw Maggie back up a couple of steps, a chill went down my spine. I thought, that’s not a lizard, she wouldn’t back up, she’d pounce on it. I called Maggie, and surprisingly, she came inside. I shut her in the house, then I went out to look, and got just close enough to see it was a SNAKE! I ran back inside and told Wizard. He rushed out and chased the snake away. He says it was a harmless garter snake. While he was doing that, I texted Biker Witch and said, “Maggie found a snake in the backyard, I’m moving today.” She totally supported me. Wizard, however, was completely unreasonable and insisted we were safe and not moving.
- To repay Maggie for her amazing bravery in finding a snake (and last week she alerted me to a coyote on our walk) I took her to get her rabies shot, and renew her license. Maggie has informed me that is not a suitable reward. Too back for her, she weighed 19 pounds! She was 15 when we got her. Maggie claims it’s her new green collar, but I’m not buying that
- So I have the shoes for the wedding! Much to my surprise, I kept the shoes from Pennys. It turns out Biker Witch was right about them. They are surprisingly comfortable, good for a beach wedding on hard-packed sand, and I’ll be able to wear them again. (I returned the other shoes to Amazon, they just didn’t work for me) Here are shoes I’m wearing:
- My health insurance has approved for my neck surgery, and the coordinator called Wednesday to let me know she was going to call the hospital to arrange a date. I haven’t heard back yet. I’ll probably check in with her today. I need that surgery date to arrange all my pre-op and get fitted for a cervical collar. I know logically this is the right thing to do, but it’s still not easy to jump into this. But, dang, I want my life back!
- Wizard and I had a giftcard to Cheesecake Factory. I’ve been eating more than I should, out of frustration because I’m physically limited, missed deadlines, etc. But I’ve been trying this week a little bit. So at Cheesecake Factory, I chose something healthy and told Wizard to use the balance of the giftcard to get whatever dessert he wanted to take home. But Wizard is devious, and he ordered TWO pieces of cheesecake to go home with us, and worse, and was one of my favorites! What kind of wicked sabotage is this???? Wizard is normally supportive when I cut back, but right now, he is determined that I shouldn’t worry about weight as long as I’m eating generally healthy, and should just enjoy food and life. Sigh….this is why I love him despite his refusing to call movers to get us safely out of the house the day a garter snake got into our backyard….although I still think he was not being totally rational.
So my five, now it’s time to share yours! I hope everyone who sees this has a great weekend!
Friday, September 21st, 2018
TGIF!!! Every week is the same thing–I wake up on Monday, blink, and suddenly it’s Friday! Now it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here are mine:
- It’s just over two weeks until Middle Son’s wedding! I’m really excited! So…you’re all gonna laugh. I returned dress number 3 and I’m going to wear a dress I already have. I think I’ve worn it once to a publisher cocktail party in a state I don’t even remember. I think it’ll be ok. I just can’t find something I want that fits and is in my budget.
- Speaking of budget. Since I’m not buying a dress, I booked a hair appointment to have my hair done in an updo. Then I told Wizard how much it costs.I think he took it well I may change my mind and cancel it, but I can’t hold my arms up long enough to put my own hair up.
- Tuesday, I went to lunch and shopping with Biker Witch (my sister). For lunch, we ordered two small plate appetizers to share, then split a piece of key lime cheesecake. So good! Then I found a pair of really cute shoes with a three-inch wedge heel. I very wisely put them back, after all I’m having neck surgery! So what did I do then? I came home and ordered them online. Forty minutes later, I knew that was stupid, so I called to cancel the order (with J.C. Penney) and was told it’s too late, they had already shipped. REALLY???? Color me doubtful. Anyway, I’ll likely be taking those back. Maybe
- We went to see Baby Slayer yesterday for a while. Special K tried to go in her office and work while we were there (she’s working on her master’s degree). But every time she hears us exclaim over something Baby Slayer does, she comes running out saying, “What did he do? What did I miss?” She’s such a great mom! She’s doing excellent in school too. And in case anyone wonders, my son, CPA Boy is the best dad ever. He adores both his wife and son, as he should.
- This last one some of you many want to skip. One or two people have asked me about this surgery on my neck, and I’ll give you some details here now that I’ve made my decision and am just waiting for a surgical date, most likely late October or November. The procedure is a two-level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF). So they have to go in through the front of my neck, and will make the incision from one side of my neck to the center, Once in there, they will nudge my esophagus and some nerves aside (I gagged the first time I heard this) to make room. Once they get to my spine, they will removed two disks at C4/5 and C5/6, replace those with donor bone, and clean up all the fragments that have migrated out from the degeneration of the two discs. Then they’ll make sure everything lines up as best they can, and put in a plate and screws to hold it together (that’s the fusion), and they’ll close up. It’s going to be a long recovery. I’ll have to wear a collar for two, possibly three months, and it can take a year or more for the bones to fuse (grow) together. This surgery is pretty successful, although I’ll lose some movement in my neck. I can’t turn my neck all the way now, so I’ll probably adjust to that fine. Yes, there are risks, but at this point, I’m willing to try. But now you all know why I tried so hard to avoid this. However, I’m ready to get it done and be able to live and write again. If you want to know more, you can go to YouTube and find animation videos.
Okay that’s my 5 now it’s your turn to share yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend. I plan to try, again, to write because I never give up!
Friday, September 14th, 2018
I hope everyone in the Florence’s path is okay! That hurricane/storm is looking very serious. If you are able to stop by, it’s Friday and that means it’s time to list five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I got my nails done for the first time in months yesterday. Only a family wedding would inspire me to do this as it’s uncomfortable for me to sit in that position. But on the upside, Baby Slayer and his parents are coming over to go with us to the wedding, and they’ll stay the night here again!
- The spin cycle on my washing machine is acting up. I can use it, I just have to fight with it about 40% of the time to get it to spin. We decided that rather than having it fixed, we’d invest in a new set. This should be easy, right? Bwhahaha! The biggest problem is that we have a smallish laundry room so when we find a set with the features we like, it’s too big. I’ve already paired my desired features down to the bare bones, things like a top loading washer with a laundry softener dispenser (Why would they sell them without one????), and a gas dryer with a door that opens down rather than swings to the side due to space limitations. That’s about it. We found one set online that hit the boxes, I tried ordering it–and it’s on backorder. Why does something so simple turn into a major pain-in-the-butt that eats up hours and hours of our time? I may rethink having my washing machine fixed and hope it hangs in there for a while.
- The other day, I came out of the doctor’s office to find a twenty something man trying to open my car door and looking perplexed. He noticed me and said, “Oh, is this your car?” I nodded, and he grinned sheepishly, “I thought it was mine. Sorry.” Then he walked one row over, waved at me and got in a Toyota Camry that looked exactly like mine. I cracked up in relief–for once it wasn’t me publicly embarrassing myself, and my second thought, of course, was that’s a great Meet Cute scenario for a romantic comedy if I amped it up a little bit
- So after seeing two surgeons, and the follow-up consultation with the second one, I’ve decided to have the two level ACD&F surgery. It’s a pretty dramatic surgery, and it was not an easy decision. But I’ve done everything else, so it’s the only chance I have at improved quality of life. If I don’t do anything, the chances for things to get worse are pretty high. Now that I’ve decided, I’d like to get it done this year and move on. Also, I’m going to go into this with a positive attitude and confidence that it will be successful and I’ll have a full recovery.
- I think I’m going stop even trying to write, at least through this weekend. Then I’m going to re-evaluate where I am in the book, and in my head, to see if I can find a way to draft the rest of the book before I have surgery. Trust me, I’m the one who’s gotten in my own way on this. Yes the pain and physical limitations are some of it, but I’ve also written an easy six or seven hundred pages (sadly, I’m not exaggerating but I’m trying to be honest), then I keep deleting scenes because nothing is good enough. This is a classic case of getting in my own way!
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear five things about your week! I hope everyone has a safe, good weekend!
Next Page »