Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, January 14th, 2022
TGIF! Let’s get right into sharing five random things about our weeks.
- So I’ve mentioned that our street’s community mailbox was broken into months ago. I think it was right before Halloween. Which means we have to go to the post office to get our mail. Sometimes they sort it wrong, or in two cases, handed us the mail for the entire street. I mean, sure if they want to hire me for full pay and benefits, then I’ll deliver the mail. Otherwise, just give me mine since by law, I can’t just walk in and pick up other people’s mail. So it’s been a bit of a challenge, and we’ve had to carefully track bills and other things that come through the mail because stuff is getting lost. Well….yesterday I discovered we missed one bill that never arrived. It only took an hour or so to figure it out and get it paid, but I’m so sick of this. Fix the damn mailbox. The post office says they have replacement boxes, but the city is the responsible for installing them. And no, we can’t have our own mailboxes because then I might actually get my mail. Sigh.
- I’ve been cleaning. I’m not a fan of doing this, but since I’m not “working” AKA writing, my brain is insisting on doing the things I haven’t gotten to recently. Some things aren’t a big deal like dusting window blinds or cleaning up some computer files. But then I decided to throw away some old wineglasses. That led to me realizing that shelf in that cabinet was dusty, so I pulled out all the glasses and cleaned the shelf. But once I cleaned that shelf, I had to clean the rest of the shelves in that cupboard…and OMG I’ve started a monster project of cleaning out each and every cupboard and drawers in my kitchen. I mean down down to washing everything silverware holder, and checking expiration days on spices and other items. Why do I do this stuff??? I’m truly grateful for a kitchen with a lot of storage but I’m only about 2/3s of the way through this project with many hours of work already invested.
- The gopher has not returned, but that ants kept invading. Twice they tried to get in my kitchen, but both times I managed to quell the beginning of the invasion. Well the little terrorists regrouped and got into my bathroom above my kitchen. We’ve done this dance before with ants. Once they are up there, they can get into the wall that leads to my panty which is their ultimate goal. I know that sounds weird, but my panty wall doesn’t touch any exterior walls so they ants have to go under or over to get to it. Anyway, past experience has taught us that only using the bug bombs works. Luckily it was a nice day, and we hung out in the garage with Maggie for a few hours, then I cleaned and aired out the house before letting her back in. It’s a pain but that should work while keep her safe from the chemicals.
- Bright spot moment. Maggie was on a stay command in her bed in the garage and I was sitting next to her. I’d taken her leash off so she could stand up, turn around and lay back down without the collar getting tight. While I was reading, I looked up and realized a lady was quietly walking two dogs by the house. Maggie was alert and watching, but she didn’t move. I was really proud of her, but honestly, I was also lucky. The dogs walking by were good dogs, so they didn’t react either. But I should have been paying more attention. Wizard thinks I’m too worried, but it’s my job to keep Maggie safe I don’t actually like her off leash out front. It’s just too easy for something out of my control to happen.
- I’m getting my hair cut, then hoping to meet Biker Witch (my sister) for coffee if she has the time.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great week!
Friday, January 7th, 2022
TGIF! Hope 2022 is going well for you! Okay let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week.
- No sign of the gopher’s return as of yet. Maggie is on the job!
- Turbo’s home from school all week with a virus. He was tested for Covid as a precaution in Urgent Care over the weekend and it came back negative. It’s just a run of the mill virus, but the preschool has very strict rules for good reason these days so it’s best if he stays home until next week. Anyway, yesterday Wizard and I tagged-teamed babysitting him. I went out and took first shift, then Wizard arrived for second shift in the afternoon to relieve me. Our son and daughter-in-law were so appreciative, which is nice but we don’t mind helping out. Of course, they wouldn’t let us help until the Covid test came back negative. I totally understand that, and yet, I felt bad for them–they are both trying to work high pressure jobs from home with a toddler.
- There was no traffic yesterday. It was really freaky. I knew Covid was really bad in CA again, but I left here at 8am and should have been in gridlock. I’ve done this enough time to know that. Instead, there was light traffic and I made it to their house in record time. Our state has not shut down, but a ton of companies and government offices have been forced to close due to so many people being sick.
- I bought some cake dummies–they are Styrofoam rounds that I can cover in fondant and practice on. I’m looking forward to trying a few things with my airbrush. These dummies let me practice decorating with much less waste as I can reuse them.
- Through sheer determination, I got my food processor at the price I wished to pay. Yay. Then I got it home, tried it and washed it all up and….it didn’t fit in the cupboard, LOL. Sometimes, the best laid plans are thwarted by something we don’t think about. In this case, there’s a central pole that stays on the base and it never occurred to me it’d make it too tall to go in the designated cupboard. But it’s all good, I found it another spot and now I have my food processor when I need it.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Have a great weekend!
Friday, December 31st, 2021
TGIF! And Happy New Year’s Eve! Wherever you are, I wish you a safe New Years Eve and a Nery Happy 2022! Now let’s do Friday Five, sharing any combination of our week and/or plans for the New Year. You’re welcome to do more than five if you feel so moved!
- I’m loving my new airbrush. I’ve started practicing, but like most things, it’s going to take a lot of practice and I’m okay with that. True Story–my middle son called and I was telling him about my airbrush. Then I said, “It’s for fun, I don’t have to be good at it.” Dead Silence. I don’t think he’s ever heard me say something like that in his entire life. It was all I could do not to laugh. I know he was thinking, “Who are you and what did you do with my mom?” It’s possible that I’ve been a little driven over the years, LOL
- I made Hot Chocolate Bombs this week. If you’re not familiar with them, they’re a chocolate shell around a powdered hot chocolate mix and marshmallows. Then when you pour hot milk over one, it begins to melt and kind of explodes marshmallows like a little bomb going off in your milk. If you add in sprinkles it’s even more fun. And man it was super rich and delicious, but I need to get the shell thinner to cut down on some of the richness (Wizard disagrees, he LOVED it). Here’s a pic of my first attempt:
- Yesterday, I found a food processor I wanted at Target. I was happy that I found an 8 cup size with all I need at a good price and that I had enough extra cash squirrelled away to buy it. It was all wins for me until I got home and a piece of the set was missing. I’ll return it today. It’s Target so that should be easy enough, but it was the last one they had in stock. However, since I’m not in any critical need for a food processor, this is just a mild inconvenience so I can’t really complain.
- So 2022, I don’t have any professional goals at the moment. I’ve made a deal with myself to not think about, or try to write for awhile. I spent too long trying and feeling so bad not doing what I felt I should be able to that I created a painful block. It was so bad that every time I saw down to write I tensed up with anxiety and frustration at myself. So I’m focusing now on doing things that I enjoy and not stressing. Personally, our goal is to make a life change happen I’ll talk more about that if and when we get closer, and I’d say there’s a fair change it won’t happen. So how’s that for vague??? LOL!
- For New Years Eve, we’re going out for an early dinner then we’ll hang out at home with Maggie. On New Year’s Day we’re going to Turbo’s house to babysit him so his parents can go to a movie. That’s pretty much the sum of our wild and crazy New Year’s celebration plans.
Okay that’s my assorted five, now I’d love to hear yours! Happy New Year!
Friday, December 17th, 2021
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- It rained! And it’s been cold here. I’m really enjoying the cooler weather.
- Apps on Wizard’s phone started corrupting last weekend. Both our phones are old and his has been glitching for awhile now. Sigh. In my mind, my phone was fine, but Wizard thought it was better to just replace both of them at once. He’s right, I just didn’t want to deal with it Anyhow, that process ate a few large chunks out of our week. The upside is that we have two new phones coming into the shop on Monday and we should be able to finish the process then. Well except after that we will have to learn how to use our new phones, and that’s always a fun time.
- I’ve baked a lot. So far I’ve made mocha cookies, lemon cookies, chocolate mint checkerboard cookies, chocolate chip muffins (they’ll get a cookie dough icing eventually), a dozen loaves of pumpkin bread and a dozen loaves of zucchini bread.
- Turbos big Christmas gift had a missing piece when Wizard went to assemble it. I scrambled to get the company to send the missing part–it’s suppose to be here Saturday. We are doing our family Christmas this Sunday so fingers crossed it gets here. But if it doesn’t, we have a couple little things, and since he’s three, it’ll be okay. But still frustrating.
- As I mentioned earlier. Sunday is our family Christmas party with our kids. Then Christmas Eve we are having my side at Biker Witches (my sister), and Christmas Day we will probably try to go see Wizard’s mom. I feel like I’ll blink once and it’ll be the New Year. Time is flying by right now.
That’s my fine (written after a really LONG day!), now I’d love to hear yours. I hope everyone has a good and safe weekend!
Friday, December 10th, 2021
TGIF! And let’s leap right into sharing five random things about our week:
- I think I’m going to give in and do Christmas cards I will order some because it reduces the strain on my shoulder and neck to limit the handwriting. I’m just annoyed that Wizard and I had year to get a picture and never did. But I want to send out cards…or Wizard is trying to brainwash me into doing it, LOL! Maybe he whispers it while I sleep? I don’t mind.
- I don’t WANT pictures of me. Especially right now. I fought some depression over writing, and guess what I did? Any guesses? I baked and ate. (Baking is fine, it’s the eating part that’s a problem!)
- Interesting problem to have: I like working with fondant (for cake decorating), but don’t like eating cake with it. I personally find buttercream cakes more elegant and tasty, but fondant is a lot of fun. Wizard, however, likes fondant a lot. Different tastes.
- I tried to take Maggie’s picture with Santa…it didn’t go well. She objected strenuously:
- We’re going to see Turbo on Saturday. Wizard arranged it this time, which makes me very happy.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope you have a great weekend!
P.S. we had a smidge of rain!
Friday, December 3rd, 2021
TGIF! Time to dive into sharing five random things about our week.
- As I’m typing this, Maggie is staring at me with a stern reminder that it’s past her designated “couch time.” Usually around 8pm at night we let her on the couch and believe me, she knows when that time is. I’m typing fast, LOL.
- I’m late getting to the blog because Wizard and I went out to a very nice dinner as a belated anniversary celebration. We both had a lovely glass of wine, steak and lobster and shared a key lime pie. It was delicious and we had a great time.
- It’s also really nice that we can enjoy each others company even after all these years. I told Wizard I saw Yoko Ono in the restaurant. He looked around and said, “Oh yeah, I see her with her son Sean.” And we had an entire conversation about people that weren’t there just for fun. It was so random, but he played right along. (I thought of Yoko Ono because some woman in there was wearing glasses that reminded me of her.)
- So for the last few weeks I’ve been struggling to get my Humira. I’m now late for my next injection and getting ping ponged between the doctors and the pharmacy trying to sort out a problem with the authorization from my medical group that I literally have zero control over. Yesterday afternoon, my doctors office called and I think we know where the problem is. But when I tried to call the specialty pharmacy they weren’t answering. I tried for 90 minutes. I’ll tackle it again today. I haven’t had an issue like this in years, and it’s so frustrating because I’ve been stable and very fortunate due to excellent care and meds. A snafu like this could send me into a full blown flare up. The memories of the days when I could barely walk, and trying to turn a door knob was a major challenge is not something I want to relieve because of some miscommunication that I have no control over. Okay, I’m done whining. I know I’ll get it sorted out and be fine.
- I’m not sure what I’m doing this weekend–probably decorating the house and I’m planning a cake to do just for fun. Maybe a 2D bear with a Santa hat. I’m seriously keeping my stress level low while waiting to get my meds.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a good weekend!
Friday, November 26th, 2021
TGIF! I hope everyone in the states had a good Turkey Day, and everyone outside the sates had a good Thursday I’m late today because the last three days were a nonstop blur, but now it’s time to dive into sharing five random things about out week.
- Wizard had his followup appointment for his oral surgery and is doing great. Healed enough to do anything he wants to now. Such good news!
- Our Thanksgiving was great and chaotic as always. However middle son and his wife couldn’t come. We really, really missed them. They’ve been a little under the weather, and stayed home as a precaution because much as we all are sick and tired of it, Covid is still with us. I wholly and sincerely respect them for thinking of others.
- Everyone pitched in big time to help by bringing food. AND! I asked for help as I needed it the whole day. Everyone jumped right in from cooking to the final clean up. I was proud of myself for asking and grateful to everyone else eagerly helping.
- Maggie was so tired by the end of the night, she literally couldn’t hold her eyes open and was falling asleep sitting up like a puppy. She and Turbo have soooo much fun together. Turbo was so tired, his dad told me he fell asleep in his car seat before they got out of the driveway, LOL. But I love how much Turbo enjoys coming over here.
- If anyone missed the cake on my FB, I’ll post a pic below. I ran out of time to do much, but what I did do was fun! This cake was chocolate with Nutella flavored whipped cream filling. A very decadent cake.
That’s five now I’d love to hear yours! Hope you all have a great weekend!
Next Page »