Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
Next Page »
Friday, October 13th, 2017
It’s that time again to list our five random things about our week!
- I’ve hit the wall last night. I came home from the NINC conference energized, but life is running fast and hard this week and not letting me catch my breath or concentrate on writing. Today, I have an early morning appointment then I’m getting back to writing!
- We met three potential foster dogs on Wednesday. Our first choice is a sweet little chihuahua mix (she’s a little bigger than an average chihuahua, curious and submissive with new people), and if all goes well, we’ll pick her up next week. Right now, her name is Nana but I just can’t call her by that name as it’s what my kids call Wizard’s mom. So I’m going to ask if I can change her name to Maggie–she looks like a Maggie. Although I’d be happy with almost any other name besides Nana. I didn’t take pictures like I should have because I really wanted to focus on the dogs not photo ops :-). If by chance she’s adopted over the weekend, then we’ll probably take the second choice, an eight year old laid back Pomeranian named Larry. He came across as a pretty mellow guy. We also met a scared little terrier that really tugged on both Wizard and my hearts. This dog has been seriously neglected or abused and afraid to let anyone touch him. It’s heartbreaking. I hate anyone who intentionally abuses an animal that way. I want everyone to be assured though, the shelter staff really care about this little dog. They have him in a kennel with two little friends that he loves to play with, and they have a trainer coming in to see if he can work with him. We’re keeping the little terrier in mind, but we don’t want to take him out of the place he feels safe unless we’re reasonably confident we can help him. And for sure, I’ll take pictures when we pick up our foster pup!
- We had a sudden death in our extended family this week It’s always sad, and I wish I could spare my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and nieces the pain of losing a beloved father and grandfather, but unfortunately, I can’t. I hate when people we love hurt, but all we can do is be there for them.
- In good news, we’re going to a birthday party for my daughter-in-law, Special K, this weekend. That’s the reason I put off picking up our foster pup until next week–I didn’t want to leave her a really long stretch of time the first few days home. I can’t wait to see how Special K is showing in her pregnancy, and I’ll get to see Middle Son’s fiance’s ring in person Middle Son is very proud of choosing that ring (and I’m proud of him for choosing a great girl!).
- I’m so sluggish from poor eating and lack of exercise, but I can do small things to change that. Getting a foster pup will help me get more active too. It’s a win-win!
Okay that’s my Friday Five. Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five.
Friday, September 22nd, 2017
It’s the end of another week! I don’t have enough pages to show for it, but it’s been a much better week! On to our Friday Five!
- I keep meaning to ask Anna (my awesome virtual assistant) to make a graphic for Friday 5, but then forget to follow through with her no matter how many times I talk to Anna during the week. That may be a metaphor for my life lately.
- So how do you guys feel about forgiving people who hurt you? I’m working on recognizing when the situation wasn’t really about me, but the person’s own personal struggles and demons. (Thank you to Wizard and Young Son (BLB) for helping me sort this out.)
- I’m listening to a Nora Roberts audiobook WITNESS and loving it! I can’t remember the last time I read or listened to a Nora book (I’m not including her JD Robbs).
- Tomorrow morning, I go for my first pain shot. Fingers crossed it works. I’m not nervous at all as I’m writing this, tomorrow could be a different story. And if anyone is curious, I’ve decided to do it under a local block rather an IV anesthesia. Yes, I am that much of a control freak
- I have a non-writing, not family secret and it’s killing me. And nope, I’m not telling you unless (unless a chocolate bribe is involved!)
Okay that’s my random five things about my weekend, now it’s your turn to share yours!
Have a great weekend!
Friday, September 15th, 2017
And another week has flown by! Okay let’s do our Friday Five
- I have to get this book done before I go to Florida, and I’m full on panicked, hating my shoulder, constant interruptions and endless frustrations. I am getting snarly mean trying to write.
- I’ve been thinking about gumballs. I have no idea why.
- Wizard was my hero this week. He’s also driving me crazy. LOL!
- My nails are lavender.
- There are brownies in my house. BROWNIES!! There was supposed to be a reason for those brownies, but the reason didn’t show up, leaving me with chocolate decadent squares of temptation. Sigh… The good news is Wizard is eating the brownies. The bad news…he’s not eating them fast enough.
Okay that’s my Friday Five, the stressed stupid edition. Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five.
Have a great weekend!
Friday, September 8th, 2017
It’s Friday! Once again I’m stunned that another seven days have slid by. Let’s do our Friday 5 where we list five random things about our week
- What do you think of this for my Friday Five photo.
- I went to the dentist yesterday. All is well, except they found a small sore on the roof of my mouth that looks a tiny burn. The dentist said to his assistant, “Let’s have her come back for a recheck next week to make sure it heals,” while he had his hands in my mouth. People I’m not proud of this but I think I snarled, a little bit like a really hungry, pissed off Doberman might. Okay in my defense, all I do lately is doctor and physical therapy appointments, or chasing appointments or calling doctor offices and the insurance to find out why they aren’t doing what they are supposed to do. I’m a tad cranky about it. The dentist took one look at my bulging, bloodshot eyes and calming said, “You’re a smart woman. Why don’t you just call us next week if this doesn’t heal up?” LOLOL!! Then he said everything else was perfect and all but flew out of that room.
- FYI I’m 95% the mysterious spot on the roof of the my mouth is from eating a meringue cookie fresh out of the oven. The cookie was mostly cooled, but the chocolate chips inside were not. Wizard and I discovered that the hard way. And sadly, even after discovering that little detail, I ate a second cookie. To clarify, these are cooks made from egg whites which makes them healthy–ish
- I started ripping my book apart yesterday and I’m actually enjoying the process in a slightly gleeful, demented and scary way. I suspect it’s just admitting to the truth that medical issues got the best of me and this book is going to be late after all my promises to fans. Somehow I just stopped worrying about fighting through pain and (normal) depression, and it freed up something in my brain to let the characters tell their story. My process is always weird, but I was so busy being mad at myself and my body that I was shutting off my creativity.
- Hurricanes! Um, I think we all need to find a way to spike Mother Nature’s coffee with my left over Xanax (from my MRI) and calm things down. I really hope everyone in the path of Irma gets out-of-the-way or stays safe. As I’m typing this, it’s still headed for Florida and possibly the Carolinas. In a side note, I have my conference in Florida Oct 4th. But that’s a minor thing, I just want everyone to be safe and not lose their homes.
Okay that’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn! Have a good and safe weekend!
Friday, September 1st, 2017
- We normally go grocery shopping Tuesday mornings, but this week I had an appointment on Tuesday, so we went on Monday. As a result, all week-long we’ve been confused on the days of the week.
- I’ll admit it–I love Princess Diana stories and have read or watched a few of the articles and shows coming out for the 20th anniversary of her death. What I liked about her was her imperfections and passion. I also came to admire her cleverness and media savvy. I don’t believe in any of the conspiracy theories surrounding her unfortunate death. My opinion is that speed, drunk driving and arrogance caused her death, and that makes it even more of a human tragedy–she was as mortal and prone to poor decisions as any of us. Otherwise, I’m not much of a royal watcher
- I’m so happy that I figured out how to donate to the Houston Humane Society! I didn’t want to use my credit card, and they didn’t appear to take Paypal option. We had to deal with some identity theft not long ago, and I’m a tad paranoid, but I’m also an animal lover, and wanted to donate to a place that tries to reunite pets with their families (FYI, I’m not getting into a debate about shelters–I worked for one and I know first-hand how hard we tried). I struggled with this for just over a day before I remembered I had a Visa gift card that I was saving to buy some clothes for going to Florida. That card worked to make an online donation, and it’s a better birthday present than clothes! (And we also donated to the Red Cross).
- I’m tired of the heat and it’s not letting up anytime soon. But we had two weeks of milder weather before this heat wave, so I really shouldn’t whine!
- I actually fantasize about a full eight hours of sleep. Is that even a real thing, or is it an urban legend?
Okay that’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn to share five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
Friday, August 25th, 2017
Happy Friday! Let’s all list 5 random things about our week!
- Wizard has conceded that I am better at picking movies for us to watch on Amazon Prime or Netflix than he is. This is HUGE. Wizard is better than me at a lot of things, so I’m walking around with a stupid grin over this tiny achievement
- When we were grocery shopping on Tuesday, I asked Wizard to help me get a leafy green vegetable into one of those thin plastic bags in the produce section of most stores. He’s stared at the vegetable suspiciously. “What is that?” he demanded (while helping me wrangle it into a plastic bag). “Kale,” I told him. He was scrunched up his nose. “I’m not eating that.” But I assured him that not only was he going to eat it but he’d like it. He adamantly assured me he would NOT. Last night, I made the Kale Chips sprinkled with parmesan. Wizard had three helpings. LOLOL!!!
- Wizard still has car fever, we just haven’t had time to follow-up. I imagine we’ll tackle that in September, but if not, we’re fine with our eight-year-old car until some time next year.
- We’re pretty much all set to go to Florida in October. I’m so looking forward to it. Although I really need to lose a few pounds before then, so my clothes are more comfortable. But it’s hard to be motivated when I’m on limited activity. Wizard is too smart to say a word about that!
- I saw a news story on Kitten Garten that made me smile. Someone donated a serious chunk of money to an animal shelter to provide a safe nursery for kittens too young to adopt and who need round the clock care. I love stories like that!
That’s my Friday Five. Now it’s your turn, I really want to hear five random things you’d like to share about your week!
Friday, August 18th, 2017
Let’s do Friday Five where we talk about 5 random things from our week
- I’ve felt better the last two days than I did Tuesday as far as the headache! Yay! The rest is a constant battle, but we all just do the best we can one day at a time, right?
- Wizard thinks I’m the best wife ever Last night, I made him homemade chicken nuggets. If you haven’t done it, trust me, it’s a messy, time-consuming process. It’s probably been three or four years since I last made them for him, partly because I try to feed Wizard a somewhat healthy diet. But he’s been asking for them, so I made them. Wizard was so excited, he may have eaten too much Don’t feel sorry for him, I think he was secretly adding extra wine to my glass when I wasn’t looking to keep me happy while I was prepping and cooking. Now I’m dead tired as I’m writing this blog, which I think was part of his plan to keep me from working more tonight :-). Sneaky Wizard.
- Wizard also has a wicked bad case of car fever. The car we’re going to replace is eight years old–we keep our cars for a long time. We were originally going to wait a few more months, but it depends on how bad Wizard’s car fever gets, LOL!
- Wizard told me last night at dinner that he really misses Bailey. You know what I think? He’s softening toward the idea of getting a dog! It’ll take another six months or so, but maybe??? (And just so everyone knows, we’ll only get a dog if we’re both committed.)
- I’m making progress on Savaged Devotion! It’s slow and hard to measure because of my crazyass process, but the important thing is I’m making progress, and Justice and Liza are pushing me to finish their story. Not only do they want their love validated, but there are characters in this story that really need to be taught a lesson!
Bonus Friday Five: I need the Wing Slayers to hush up and let me finish this book before I think about Eli and his desperate need to find his mate Savi, or how Ram and Ginny can get their happily ever after!
Okay that’s my Friday Five plus a bonus. Now it’s your turn! And I hope you have a great weekend!
Next Page »