Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
« Previous Page — Next Page »
Friday, April 3rd, 2020
Howdy! We’re back for another round of sharing five random things about our weeks in midst of a pandemic. Honestly who could have imaged the utter havoc 2020 would bring?
Anyhow, here’s my five:
- I’m not stressing about writing. I’ve been progressively regaining some of my concentration and ability to write, but this week, I’m more focused on keeping my attitude as positive as possible. Attitude can’t heal the world, but it’s part of the overall package of staying well enough to help those who need me.
- Amazingly, the mail order pharmacy was able to deliver my Humira medication. I am very grateful. However, I’m also very careful about taking my temperature daily and monitoring how I’m feeling before I take it since it’s a powerful immune suppressant. A humorous aside: Our county has put out a strong advisory for us all to wear face masks anytime we go out…um…how do we get those? I’ve managed to find some fabric ones and ordered them, but I’m not sure they’ll deliver them in a timely manner.
- I made cookies yesterday They are dairy free, so I’ve sent a text to youngest son asking if he wants half of the batch. He hasn’t answered yet, but I can guess what the answer will be. For his cookies, I was careful not to touch them once baked, and I’ll just drop them off on his porch if he wants them.
- I miss Turbo (my grandson), all my kids and Biker Witch so, so much. But I have Wizard and Maggie, and each day I am thankful for them. There’s no one else I’d rather be stuck at home with. Wizard and I aren’t getting on each other’s nerves any more than usual, but he’s been retired for a few years now so we’ve had practice at negotiating space.
- Wizard’s birthday is this weekend. Not great timing, but he’s a good sport. We’re making ribs and apple pie to celebrate, and we’ll open one of our nicer bottles of wine. Birthday shopping during a pandemic is a special challenge, LOL! But he understands that and probably won’t hold it against me on my birthday. Probably…
That was my boring week, maybe next week will be more exciting Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! I hope everyone–and your loved ones–are all well. Have the best weekend possible under these trying circumstances!
P.S. I really wish I could call up the witches to heal the sick, and the wing slayers hunters to send this demon virus back to the underworld.
Friday, March 20th, 2020
Whew, what a week. Anyone else mentally exhausted?
In any case, it’s time share five random things about our week:
- I’ve gotten some writing done on Wednesday and Thursday despite the chaos.
- I did a little online shopping since all the brick and mortar stores are closing down nearly as fast as TP is vanishing from store shelves. I’m hoping the one pair of jeans and three summer shirts will fit.
- It’s been raining on and off for two weeks which is a lot for us. The upsides are that it’s stopping long enough to take Maggie for a walk. We needed it. It’s making everything green and pretty. And it appears the hills are absorbing the water better again after the massive forest fires which is great for a lot of reasons. So while it’s dreary, it’s also a good thing.
- We have wine, coffee, a little chocolate, dog food and treats. What more could we want? Trick question, the answer is more chocolate!
- And just because we all need a smile:
We are likely staying home this weekend for obvious reasons. Now it’s your turn to share five (or as much as you want) things about your week. And feel free to share how you’re feeling.
And guys, if anyone is emotionally struggling, PLEASE SPEAK UP. Fear or worry about this virus, along with the wildly differing reactions from flat out denial to overreacting panic that is putting strain on our supply chains, creates very real psychological stress. If you’re feeling it, know that you’re not alone. Let’s all be here for each other, okay?
Friday, March 13th, 2020
TGIF and it’s time to share five random things about our week!
- It’s raining a LOT this week. Sometimes I love the rain, but other times, it’s depressing. Especially since I’m spoiled enough with the weather in So. Cal. to be able to walk my dog once or twice a day. Maggie and I both get cranky when our routine is disrupted, LOL!
- Turbo is turning 2 years old next week! That little boy owns a huge chunk of my heart.
- I don’t know what’s going on with Amazon. I ordered Turbo’s birthday gift, and they lost it. This is the THIRD time I’ve had a problem like this in just a few months. But the good news is Turbo is so young, I can grab something else fun to give him and he’ll be fine until his “real” gift shows up. So it’s not really a big deal, just annoying. But it has me wondering why I’m paying so much for “Prime” status when this year it’s just been “problems.”
- Maggie went to her board and groom place for a bath yesterday. She loves the people and the dogs there, but not the bath, and definitely not the blow dryer
- I hope everyone stays well. I know that most people will have mild to moderate symptoms (if any) and recover fine if they get this version of Coronavirus (Covid-19). But many of us are immunocompromised, or have other health conditions that put us at higher risk. Plus, no one wants to get sick :-(. I just want all of you to be well, healthy and happy!
So that’s my five random things, now I’d love to hear yours!
Friday, March 6th, 2020
TGIF! Did ya’ll feel the rush of the week speeding by?
Also, if anyone reading this lives near the devastation in Nashville, Tennessee, I’m thinking of you and hope you and those you love are okay.
Now, it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here are mine:
- I’m writing when I can, and although my internal editor is screaming like a banshee, it’s hard to hear her over that big gag I put on her. I’m just moving forward!
- Tax season is a weird time. CPA boy is ONLY quiet during tax season and I find myself randomly worrying. This week, I told Wizard I’m going to encourage CPA Boy to get a check up after tax season. Wizard told me that my Mom Radar needed an adjustment as it was stuck on Crazy. He’s not wrong. Really. CPA Boy is very good at taking care of himself and he has a wife who makes sure he does. My Mom Radar definitely needs an adjustment
- I’m listening to Jessica Simpson’s autobiography. I bought this book on impulse when someone on Twitter raved about it. I’m not having the exact same experience, but I do like that she tries to be positive in general, and more specifically body-positive. She talked about a model she’d met who was anorexic and died in her 20s. Jessica seemed truly changed by that experienced, and that touched me. I loathe diet culture. I’m all for trying to be healthy and strong, or having personal goals. It’s just when we try to force unrealistic expectations on any body (male or female) that I have a problem. As for me, I’m trying to celebrate all the parts of me that work and I can rely on to get me through my day
- Yesterday, I ended up doing a lot, which is kind of how this week has been–stuff just keeps coming up. Anyway, Wizard noticed that I was busy, and started pitching in by unloading the dishwasher and feeding Maggie while I was washing bathroom floors. People, that is love, ya know? I had those two things next on my mental list, and he stepped in and checked them off without me saying a word. I’d much rather have that kind of love and teamwork, then flowers any day of the week!
- We’re going to try to see Turbo one day this weekend, and Middle Son the other day, but we haven’t firmed up those plans with the kids yet because it’s been a wonky week.
That’s my quick Friday Five. Now I’d really love to hear yours! I hope all of you have a great weekend!
Friday, February 28th, 2020
TGIF! How is today the last day of February? It just started! Anyhow, let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week:
- Wizard is pimping me out for my white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. True story, he came home yesterday from picking up some parts, and said, “My friends at the store like baked goods and I told them about your cookies. Can you make them some?” I’m like…what’s in it for you? He laughed and said his discount. Whatever…
- Today I’ll be buying macadamia nuts and white chocolate because it turns out I’m a pushover.
- Our little serial killer took out another lizard yesterday. Don’t believe her pathetic attempt at an innocent face here. I caught her prancing around with the lizard in her mouth. She was very proud of herself. I made her drop it, and she did–unmoving on it’s back. Sigh. Also this chair is literally falling apart, ignore that. We’re semi-shopping for a new one. Wizard thinks it’s hilarious that we’re buying a new chair for a dog. What has our life come to?
- I made Wizard dispose of the deceased lizard. Refer to #1 and 2 If he’s going to use me, I’m going to use him right back, LOL.
- We may try to go see Turbo again this weekend if Special K isn’t busy, or I’ll keep my butt in the chair and writing. Or I could clean something, but I’d much rather write It’s still slow and my characters are rushing down blind alleys and into dark rooms with no escape plan, but I’m at my keyboard, following them into their folly, then deleting the evidence when necessary.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, February 14th, 2020
TGIF and Happy Valentine’s Day! Okay, let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week.
- I need to start writing these blogs in the mornings when I have ideas…by late afternoon/evening, I just want it to be wine time That’s what happens when I start my days around 5:30 a.m.. On the other hand, I’m usually going nonstop in the morning, then I write after lunch until 4 or 5, so…I could get up at 4:30 or 5???? LOLOL! That would make for some interesting blogs. I’m often awake, but definitely not articulate.
- Wizard and I went to a quick dinner last night for an early Valentine’s Day. We wanted to go to a nice place and debated it all week, but between my temporary crown and Wizard’s having a health issue too, we decided to put a nice dinner on hold. And I just didn’t want to cook dinner myself. We went to a local Mexican restaurant. Today, I think we’ll go to the movies just to do something together.
- My Romance Writers of America (RWA) organization is giving me emotional whiplash. My problem is that this organization played a pivotal role in my writing career, creating a deep nostalgia in me that is getting in the way of me making rational decisions.
- I’ve been chipping away at a lot of goals this year, and I’m very happy about that. Even writing Savaged Devotion–although it’s sooooo slow– it is progressing and I’m determined to be pleased with that.
- Sunday is Youngest Son’s birthday, and he and his wife are coming over for lunch. We’re making tri tip, and of course, his special lactose free cookies. I offered to make him a lactose free cake, but nope, he wanted the cookies. I will make him anything he wants, and he knows it, LOL!
That’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours. I hope everyone has a very Happy Valentine’s Day and a great weekend!
Friday, February 7th, 2020
TGIF! Let’s jump in with sharing five random things about our week.
- I feel much better after starting the week sore from various things, including sudden weather changes. Yay!
- After months and months of struggling with my washing machine and its mysterious spin cycle, my dryer announced his sudden retirement. We bought a new set that should be delivered Saturday. I chose a simple Maytag top loading set that should fit in my laundry room and hopefully will work without complaining.
- I broke a tooth Wednesday night. Ironically, I think the molar cracked while I was eating the healthy granola I made a few days ago, then part of the tooth actually broke last night. Side note: The brownies I made did no damage Anyway, I see the dentist this morning. That should be a fun visit. I have no idea if the tooth can be saved since it broke around an old filling. The good news is I’m not in pain (they would have gotten me in right away if I was), and at least it’s in the back of my mouth so no one can see it.
- I’m on a soft food diet until the tooth can be fixed. Guess what? A brownie is soft! But I miss my salads and hard fruits. Not eating meat doesn’t bother me at all. I know I’m weird.
- I made a little progress on my book! It’s still slow, but Wednesday and Thursday I really did move forward and feel good about that.
That’s my five things. We had originally planned to go see Turbo Saturday. I may go by myself and Wizard will stay home for the delivery of the washer and dryer (he offered), or I’ll change it to Sunday. I’ll talk to Turbo’s parents and see how things work out. Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week!
I hope everyone has a great weekend!
« Previous Page — Next Page »