Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
« Previous Page — Next Page »
Friday, June 22nd, 2018
TGIF!! Here’s five random things about my week:
- Some writing is happening! Not enough, but I’m definitely doing better.
- Oh, my follow up doctor appointment. So the facet injections helped, I’d say a good 50%. But I’m having burning in the shoulder and arm, and slight loss of sensation in fingers, and some other things so we’re going to do another MRI. Then we’ll decide if I should consult a neurosurgeon. I don’t want surgery, but I also don’t want to permanently damage the nerves to my very dominate right shoulder, arm and/or hand.
- I bought a small tool kit for making jewelry, and I’m watching videos on how to do it. I kept telling myself I’d try this hobby after I finished the book. But I got really tired of punishing myself for being late on the book. Plus, I desperately need another hobby besides “How to Bake Your Way to Middle Aged and Fat.” Just saying…
- Yesterday I took Maggie in for a bath/grooming (I’ve bathed her at home, but I don’t cut her nails) and I bought her a brand new neon green collar. Maggie loves it, but Wizard is totally traumatized by her new collar, that’s OMG A DIFFERENT COLOR!! IT’S LIKE NEW AND NOT THE SAME AS HE’S USED TO! You all might have noticed that Wizard does not adapt well to change
- While waiting for Maggie to get bath and nails done, I headed over to Walmart and look what I found! We hope to pop out to give this to Baby Slayer, but our main goal this weekend is to visit Middle Son and his Fiance since we haven’t seen them lately, and we miss them. It’s hard to be everywhere!
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
Friday, June 15th, 2018
Happy Friday! Here’s five random things about my week:
- There’s not enough hours in the day, and not enough coffee to keep me going! Also, insomnia sucks. And so does Wizard being bored and stuck on limited activity. Just under two weeks to go, then he’ll start physical therapy.
- I had a good 24 and a 1/2 minutes of uninterrupted writing yesterday. I’ve backed up for the 844th time to try another detour, and at this moment, I think I’ve finally chosen the right path. But stay tuned, that could change! We all know I’m directionally challenged, both in real life travel and in writing my books.
- I’m helping out with two wedding showers, which is a little bit of work and a whole lot of fun. Life is about celebrating the big moments of those we love, right? This goes in the good column!
- I’m meeting Biker Witch for coffee today. I’m leaving Maggie home in charge of keeping Wizard out of trouble. She’d better succeed or there will be no more treats. Okay I’m lying, she gives me her sad look and gets pretty much whatever she wants
- And don’t think you’re escaping Baby Slayer Time! First an update, he’s gained 2 lbs and grown 1 1/2 inches in a month! He’s just turning three months old this weekend. If you need a smile, here he is talking to his pony.
So that’s my five random things, now it’s time to share yours. Have a great weekend!
Friday, June 1st, 2018
Hi everyone, and TGIF! It’s time to list five random things about our week. I’ll go first, since you know, it’s my blog
- Here’s the week’s doozy for me, and the one that has Wizard and I grateful beyond words to the police department. So two of our sons, Oldest and Youngest work together. At 7:30 yesterday morning, a woman was attacked and held in a hostage or barricade situation in the building our sons work in. To be clear, the attack was in a separate business from my sons’ workplace, but in the same building–close enough for the employees who were there to see what was happening. The police were called, and arrived quickly (I believe it was under four minutes response time) and they swiftly “ended” the standoff. Our two sons hadn’t arrived at work yet when this occurred, and by the time they did, it was a crime scene. Everyone from their office was okay, although pretty shaken up. And…Baby Slayer still has his dad (and uncle!). Special K still has her husband. And my youngest son will still marry the wonderful woman he’s loved for years and years in 2019. We are grateful beyond words.
- Maggie caught a lizard this week. Eww!! I was standing there, egging her on because I thought the lizard would run through the wrought iron fence and save himself. But nope, he doubled back and it was a CHASE. To my shock, Maggie caught him, and I’m screaming “DROP HIM! OH GOD, MAGGIE! DROP IT NOW!!” She did (probably more from my tone than obedience, plus she didn’t seem interested in killing him, just chasing) and looked at me like I’d lost my mind. I knew Bailey Dog could catch Lizards, but I thought Maggie would lose interest after a few seconds. Lesson learned! (And also, I’m just not into torturing any creature for fun like that. I really thought the Lizard would easily escape.)
- Baby Slayer Moment! (One day I’ll stop with the Grandma Madness…maybe)
- Sometimes I wonder why I stay in RWA (Romance Writers of America) but today, they made we so proud and very happy I paid my dues for this year! If you’ve been following #Cockygate, regarding an author trademarking a single common word, then you know this is a big deal. RWA has stepped up to find and pay for legal representation for one of the authors who was targeted in a lawsuit. This lawsuit has wide ranging implication for freedom of speech for all authors. If interested, you can read RWA’s statement here.
- Yesterday I did too much to keep Wizard from doing more than he should. But at the end of the day, I realized that my pain is not as bad is it would have been without any of the shots I’ve been getting. I’m making progress! It’s taking waayyy more time that I’d like (whatever happened to instant cures???), and I’m worried about all the readers I’ve let down, but that was a real lightbulb moment. I’m definitely going in the right direction, and it gives me hope that the shots next Thursday will help even more. With luck, I’ll be able to finish the Savaged Devotion, write the other books I desperately want to, and avoid more drastic measures (surgery) at least for a while.
So that’s my five. My weekend will probably be low-key again, and that’s fine with me. Now it’s your turn to share you five.
Have a great weekend!
Friday, May 25th, 2018
Okay I’m not quite back in the swing of things, but getting there. Here’s my 5:
- Donuts, what was I thinking??? Oh right, I felt sorry for Wizard and bought them to make him happy. Whatever, wearing pants is overrated right? (I’m giving myself through the long weekend, then begin weeding out most of the crap I’ve allowed to slip into my eating over the last couple months.)
- Baby Slayer Cute Alert!
- Baby Slayer was out again on Wednesday. CPA Boy took the day off, and along with Special K, they came out to keep Wizard company. Wizard continues to heal well. Boredom is setting in, which is a great sign.
- There’s nothing on TV. It’s so frustrating! Most nights, I can’t read or do anything useful from the nerve pain & tinnitus, so I watch TV and feel my brain cells dying off. On the other hand, it’s a great motivator to get well, LOL!
- It’s Memorial Day weekend, but we don’t have plans since it hasn’t even been two weeks yet since Wizard’s surgery. I have the feeling I’m going to have my hands full just keeping him from overdoing it! I don’t mind though, if this last surgery works, it will all be worth it!
So that’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn! Hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend!
Friday, May 11th, 2018
TGIF Again!! It’s time to share five random things about our week. I’ll go first
1) I’ve been cooking and freezing a few meals. So far, I have spaghetti sauce and chicken cacciatore. Today I’m making 2 servings of enchiladas to freeze.
2) I’m doing the above because next week Wizard is having more back surgery. This one is a little more involved than the one he had last year, but if this works, it will be worth it.
3) Yesterday, despite #2, Wizard came in the house yesterday and said, “Witch, I need your help with something.”
I went outside and found the EXTENSION LADDER leaning up against the tall palm trees. Even more worrisome, this is on a freaking SLOPE. I narrow my eyes. “What do you think you’re doing?”
He held up big hedge clippers like it was obvious. “Trimming the tops of the trees. I need you to hold the ladder.”
I looked at the aluminum extension ladder precariously placed on the sloped yard and shook my head. “No. Absolutely not. You’ve lost your mind.”
Wizard frowned, studied the ladder and said, “You’re right.”
Of course I am. I breathed a sigh of relief.
Then Wizard went into the garage and reappeared with a small block of wood. “Let me put this under the ladder.” He wedged it under one leg of the ladder that didn’t sit flush in the grass BECAUSE THE YARD IS SLOPED!!! Then he said, “Now hold the ladder so I can get this done.”
“Have you lost your mind?” My voice rushed up the street, hit the hills at the top and bounce back in a screaming echo. “You’re not doing this!”
He stared at me. “Yes I am. The ladder is a little shaky though. Just hold it. And don’t worry, if I fall, I’m having surgery anyway.” I swear to you, that’s what he said! And then he smirked and added, “You know, like two for one deal.”
And before I could smack him, he started climbing the ladder. I had no choice but to grab and hold it.
He didn’t fall, but I’m still pissed. All these shenanigans cause him more pain too. What is WRONG with men? Is there medication to make them sane???
4a) This is Maggie yesterday on our morning walk. There were bunnies at the park, and she is staring at one in the bushes.
4b) And this is Maggie’s expression after I tugged her away from the bunny, lifted her on a wide rock wall and tried to get her to pose for a picture:
**In case you’re wondering why she has two collars on, the second one is a Martingale collar that I use for her safety when we hike. She’s never taken off on me or fought her collar, but if she did, she could possibly slip her regular collar and either get hurt or rush into danger. This collar prevents that, and she’s perfectly comfortable in it. I take it off when we’re finished walking.
5) HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY TO ALL THE MOMS!!
Okay that’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn to share yours!
Friday, April 27th, 2018
TGIF!! I hope everyone had a great week! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here are mine:
1) So far, Wizard is recovering well from his surgery. It turned out to be a lot longer and more involved than originally expected, but that’s how these things can go. Fingers crossed that this time it works. Medicine is sometimes as much art and luck as it is science and skill.
2) Maggie is home! I missed her so much when she was at boarding, but it was nice not having to worry about her being alone. They are so sweet to her there.
3) Chocolate chunk cookies happened yesterday. **Hangs head in shame** I have no excuse except that baking is stress relief for me, even when I’m not feeling my best. I did freeze some of the cookies so I guess I could claim I was preparing for the future???
4) I just spent forty minutes on the phone with CPA Boy discussing diapers, sleep schedules and spitting up, and how Baby Slayer had the hiccups, then spit up and arced the flow so that it went over the collar of CPA Boy’s shirt and down his stomach. Um what happened to his college days when I heard stories of parties and crazy antics?
5) Oh and last night I made spaghetti with the big plan to freeze half the spaghetti sauce to use later. Last time I made spaghetti, I had this same plan and forgot when I was cleaning up. This time, Wizard reminded me, and I had the container set out next to the pan of cooling sauce…then while talking to CPA Boy on the phone (see #4) I was cleaning the kitchen and threw out the sauce. Sigh…Wizard is STILL laughing as I’m writing this blog.
That’s my week, now it’s your turn to share 5 things about your week. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, April 13th, 2018
Is it Friday? My days get scrambled, but I think it’s Friday…so that means it’s time to do our Friday Five! Here’s mine:
- I think we’re done with the redecorating for now. I wanted to do an update in my kitchen by painting my cupboards white. We got a quote and my budget screamed in agony. So I’m taking that as a no, LOL! We have a LOT of cupboards so there’s no way we’re doing them ourselves. (Don’t even think it Wizard! I can hear your brain considering it, but just stop now!) I still have a few little touches, like lamps, to finish in the living room, but those aren’t budget breakers so I’ll do those as I find the time.
- The next thing we have to tackle are new cell phones, and I’m scared to even start pricing those + a new plan. Wizard and I only have so many kidneys to sell to pay for these luxuries
- The book! Yesterday, I was doing one of my favorite parts–going back and layering something in. It sounds small but feels huge. It was something that’s been bugging me about the book, and I finally found a way to address it. I love where this book is going (finally!). Life should slow down enough to focus more consistently. (Fingers crossed that’s true!!!)
- Two random Maggie pics because even though I have a grandson, I still love her!
- I think I’m seeing Baby Slayer this weekend. My plan is to make chicken enchiladas, take them out then watch Baby Slayer for a couple of hours while Special K gets some work done. At least that was the plan last time I checked, but I’ll call today to make sure that still works for them. They always tell me I can come anytime, but I’ve been trying to time it to give them a real break to sleep or get something done. There’s no tired like new parent tired!
Okay that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
« Previous Page — Next Page »