Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
« Previous Page — Next Page »
Friday, August 16th, 2019
TGIF!! Let’s dive right into five random things about our week. Here’s mine!
- Baking cookies does not help one lose weight. Nor does, you know, eating. And I have a dress to fit into in November. I need to clean up my eating habits. But I so love to bake! And eat. Sigh.
- We got our car back Tuesday night! Yay! I’m so happy about that. It’s been a somewhat quiet week though. I just don’t have the energy to run all over right now.
- I have gone to the gym though, where I learned I like the smell of Coppertone way more than stale cigarette smoke. Some people bring smells with them to the gym, and it’s not always pleasant once they start sweating. Once I was on the treadmill next to a guy wearing strong, pungent aftershave. I think he must have dumped on the whole bottle of the stuff! Every time I inhaled, my nose burned and my eyes watered. I had to move to different equipment. Just a caveat though–I don’t run into that problem a lot at the gym, so it sticks in my mind when I do.
- Hmm, and now I’m second guessing if I used the word “caveat” correctly. It sounded correct in my head.
- Target has let me down twice now. In a week’s time, they charged me twice for the same six-pack of Diet Coke, and they delivered a gift a day late from their promised two-day delivery. I am sad as I love Target. Now I’m wondering if I’ve given my love too easily?
That’s my five random things, now I’d love to hear yours! Have a great weekend!
Friday, August 9th, 2019
Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a good week! Here’s five random things about my week.
- I wrote five pages yesterday. It doesn’t sound like much, but I’m happy I could do that. I know many people think I should start something new, but I can’t knowing I didn’t finish this trilogy. But I’ll never again publish before I finish or at least drafted. Life has too many curveballs ready to throw off our plans!
- A lizard lost the game of chase to Maggie I had to dispose of said lizard because Wizard was off helping Youngest with his pool. The poor creature was totally intact and looked unharmed, just…not alive. Maggie really does like the chase part, and I guess she loses interest after that. It’s possible the little guy just died on its own too, since I didn’t see it to know for sure. Possible, but unlikely, given Maggie’s history of chasing lizards. Oh well, I love her anyway.
- Replacing the garage door opener turned into a major day and a half project. The biggest snafu was a wiring problem–caused by Wizards getting a staple through the wire. Shh…don’t tell him I told you He knew it, but we both of us spent hours trying every other possible solution to avoid him having to rewire. The next day, he rewired it, and now the new opener is working great. He’s soooo much more patient with this stuff now that he’s retired and not under constant time pressures.
- Having only one car is inconvenient. In the scale of life problems, this is a minute one, but I’ll sure be glad to get our car back next week. I hope it’s ready as promised!
- Youngest and Fiance are in the process of moving into their new home, and should finish the bulk of it this weekend. Exciting times for them! I think I’ll bake youngest cookies too celebrate. You’re never too old for homemade cookies from your mom, right?
This weekend, I hope to see Turbo, but I also want to see my sister since it’s hard, boring and frustrating to recover from major surgery. The one-car situation, Youngest moving, and life in general has made it tricky, but I’ll work it out Now I’d really like to hear five things about your week! If I don’t answer on Friday, I will sometime during the weekend, we may be coming and going a lot.
Have a safe and fun weekend!
Friday, August 2nd, 2019
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing five random things around our week.
- So the news about Youngest Son (BLB). He and his fiance have bought a house! It closes this week, and they’ll get the keys on Sunday night. We are so danged thrilled for them! Youngest Son has been renting a room for years now, and saving money. We are bursting with pride for this kid! Both he and his fiance have worked hard to get to this point, and they absolutely love the house–an existing 3 bed, 2 bath home with a pool and jacuzzi! They are having a wonderful, and well-deserved good year with buying their first house and getting married in November! One added note, Youngest told me that he’s putting a fence around the pool ASAP for all the kids in the family, and to make sure Fiance’s two dogs are safe. That’s my boy! Money will be tight, but the safety of their family and pets is a priority.
- Our car is in the shop at least until sometime next week. It’s being repaired from the car accident caused by the other, uninsured, driver last week. Being down to one car is a pain, but at least Wizard’s not still working–that would have been a major problem. This is just a little inconvenient.
- My washing machine is screwing with me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a really good machine, and for various reasons I don’t want a new one. But this year, the WM (Washing Machine) has decided it will only spin when it wants too. Every other part of the cycle works great, including draining the tub. I’d say WM does this little trick about 20% of the time. But do you think we could get it to NOT spin while the repairman was here twice this week? Of course not. WM spun like a professional ballerina. LOLOL! After much research and debate, we’re going to replace a part that is the most likely culprit. Naturally he has to order the part, but it’s all good, WM works, it just adds a little mystery to my life with the Will I or Won’t I Spin game.
- I tested a shredded chicken for tacos or fajitas recipe yesterday and it was great! I’m making it into taquitos for me and Wizard, which I’m 90% sure will come out fine, but I’m writing this blog Thursday afternoon before I fry up the taquitos.
- But the real reason I’m testing the above recipe is we’re having a Family Pool Party on Sunday to celebrate my birthday. Wizard arranged it, and offered to cook, but um…I took over, LOL! I’m making shredded seasoned beef and chicken for easy fajitas after we swim. For the party, one daughter-in-law (Middle Son’s wife) told Wizard I can NOT make my own cake and she is bringing cupcakes. Love her so much for thinking of that. Wizard was going to try to make the cake, but I’m such a control freak that way, I’d have done it and she knows it. This gesture means so much to me. All our daughter-in-laws are bringing things to help out a lot. As far as the cooking I’m doing, I volunteered and enjoy it. I’ll do it all a day ahead, throw it in crock pots to reheat and forget it until we’re ready to eat. Sunday will be fun and family time. Turbo is a total water baby and I can’t wait to play with him in the pool!
So that’s some of my week, now I’d love to hear five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
Friday, July 26th, 2019
TGIF! It’s time to share 5 random things about our week. Here are mine!
- Yesterday, Wizard and I went to a consultation with an attorney to handle some documents for us. All that went fine, but while on the way…
- …We were side swiped on the freeway. Sigh. It’s a total pain in the butt, but no one was hurt so we are trying not to let it get to us. The other guy somehow hit the back left side of our car, maybe trying to change lanes, or he wasn’t paying attention and swerved into our lane. He eventually stopped, and we handled things, although he didn’t have his insurance information on him, so that’s still undetermined. The interesting twist is that Wizard informed him we were on our way for an appointment with our attorney. The guy was very cooperative
- It’s hot and humid. I’m not a fan of this weather, and very grateful that our air conditioning works.
- Our home decorating project this week is trying to spray paint some pictures frames. I have two cheap sets of four vertical pictures on a rope hanger. We’re painting them blue and gray to match the decor. If it works, it’ll be a cute and fun addition. If not, I’m out less than $30.00 in total for the frames and paint, and I can live with that.
- This might sound funny, but I’m teaching Maggie how to handle being tied on a long line in the garage with us, so she can be out there while we work on projects. In the past, she has always frozen if we tied her, and even if I dropped her leash. If I call her to me, she doesn’t think she can move, and seems worried about stepping over or around the long line. So we stopped doing it, thinking she was too scared. Then it dawned on me, this must be new to Maggie, and she needs to learn how to move around while attached to the long line, and understand the limits of it. She only fears what she doesn’t understand! Honestly, this was like a “Duh!” moment. I should have thought of this a year ago. Anyway, we’ve been showing her, she’s very quickly getting the hang of it and proud of herself. Obviously I still have much to learn about being a good dog owner/pack leader.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, July 5th, 2019
TGIF! Now let’s get to sharing five random things about our week.
- I expect the blog to be quiet today, but for anyone who heard about the earthquake in Southern California, we’re fine. The epicenter of the quake was something like 100 miles from us. We felt the quake for sure, but we’re fine. My concern is for those close to the center, and we’re all aware that another, bigger one could come. Fun Fact: A part of the San Andreas fault line runs right through my city
- Wizard and I had a great 4th of July day with drinks in the jacuzzi, ribs for dinner and peach pie for dessert.
- 4th of July night, however, was like living too close to war zone. I have never actually been in a war zone, but this is what I imagine it sounds like. I was on the couch with my trembling dog, and the massive booms were coming from out the front of my house in a half circle to the back. It looked like lightning flashing. Those were the ones that had my flinching, and clearly these are not the legally sold fireworks, but the dangerous ones. Maggie wouldn’t leave my side until I told her it was time for bed and she ran in her kennel. She was a very brave girl throughout the rest of the night. She stayed in her kennel with no crying, whining or barking, and she even ate her treat. I’m proud of her.
- We saw Turbo this week. He was a blast as always. Wizard and I were playing with him outside, and when we went for a little walk, the boy reached for both our hands. We both looked up at one another, feeling the love that transcends time: There were all the moments that our sons reached for our hands, and now in this moment, our grandson reached for out hands. That kind of love and trust is a priceless gift.
- I have a new TV stand! After two years of searching, I finally found one that we like and that fits into the awkward corner! We put it together and it’s all done. It’s not expensive or anything, it just makes us happy.
So that’s my five. I know it’s kind of a holiday weekend for most, but it you’re here and have time, I’d live to hear five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
Friday, June 28th, 2019
TGIF! It’s time to share five random things about our week!
- Wednesday we went out to see our grandson, Turbo. He’s having so much fun in his new home, and especially, his new backyard where he can run, explore and play. Wizard has a selection of shirts with cars and trucks on it just because Turbo gets excited to see them. He’s such a grandpa!
- So yesterday, I went online to look for shirts with dogs on them for me (because Turbo loves dogs as much as he loves cars and trucks), and I accidentally typed in “dong” instead of “dog”. FYI, I don’t recommend doing that.
- I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this week for Turbo. That might sound like a weird combo if you haven’t heard of it before, but it’s actually good. Anyhow, Turbo loved it! Later, Turbo was holding his mom’s hand to go for a walk, and reached for my hand too. I turned to Wizard and said, “Ha! Muffins win!” Special K cracked up at our competing over who Turbo loves more. (Wizard and I are just kidding, we don’t really compete for Turbo’s love, we just enjoy teasing each other to keep life fun).
- In some ways, it’s been a challenging week. First Wizard’s cousin lost her husband to illness. We’re sad for her and her family like. Then we found out my brother is facing a serious health challenge. However, a positive note is that my brother’s prognosis is very good right now, and he’s otherwise in good shape, which will help him a lot. That’s two things, and while I’m not generally superstitious, I’m waiting for that third thing to happen to fulfill the “Bad News (or Luck) Comes in Threes” saying. Logically I know it’s silly, but emotionally, I’m a six-year-old girl avoiding cracks on the sidewalk while mentally chanting, “Step on a crack and break your mother’s back.”
- This week, I helped Wizard plant new flowers in the four big pots we have around the pool. After we were done, the flowers were in shock, and I was worried. I really don’t have a green thumb, and I was concerned my help doomed the poor plants. But yesterday they looked perky and happy, so I’m not a flower killer!
That was my week, with very little writing. Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five!
Friday, June 21st, 2019
TGIF!! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here are mine:
- I’ve spent too much time and money replacing old towels, rugs and a few other random items in our bathrooms. I still need a few more things, but my time-and-money budget is exhausted.
- Wednesday, I played with Turbo all day in his new house. I was doing things like scooping him up and swinging him around, which make him laugh, which made me do it again and again. Ouch! LOL! I used to be able to carry two boys with the third one hanging on my leg. What happened?
- I wasn’t the only one tired. This is Turbo after all that playing. He climbed up on the couch where blankets were stacked (they are still unpacking), curled up with his pacifier, and conked out. It was freaking adorable. When he’s awake and going he seems older than 15 months. But like this, I still see the baby in him.
- I took Maggie in for a bath and grooming this week, and the lady there who knows her well told me that she’s getting really gray. She definitely is! That doesn’t bother me much. We don’t know Maggie’s age or background, so we just accept her as she is.
- I’m not sure what I’m doing this weekend. We were expecting out-of-town friends, but those plans changed, so now…anything could happen
That’s my five random (and boring, LOL) things. Now it’s your turn to share! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
« Previous Page — Next Page »