Archive for the 'Friday Five' Category
« Previous Page — Next Page »
Friday, April 12th, 2019
TGIF! It’s time to share 5 random things about our week.
- The poppies, also known as the Super Bloom, have been declared dead! The city has been spreading the word, and the L.A. Times wrote a tongue-in-cheek obituary piece that I found amusing. I think my favorite line is the first two clauses in this sentence: In lieu of sending flowers, as that would be horrifically insensitive, Super Bloom enthusiasts are encouraged to donate to their favorite Lake Elsinore charity, or maybe just send a nice thank-you note to city leaders. There will still be some people who come hike the trail into the hills, and that’s fine–heck I want to hike the trail with Maggie some morning. We are just crossing our fingers that it won’t be massive crowds that the city isn’t prepared to handle.
- I’ve been to the gym on average about twice a week. If I make it there today, it’ll be three times which is my goal. Although, I’m pretty happy with twice a week right now as I slowly regain some upper body strength. Plus I walk every day too.
- I finally gave in from endless brick-and-mortar store shopping, and ordered three pairs of jeans and three pairs of shorts online. Four out of six items fit me, which isn’t too bad of odds. I’m going to return the two pairs of pants today, and once again, try some old-fashion shopping in the actual store. But I’m not holding out much hope of finding anything. My experience is usually: If I like it–they won’t have my size, or they’ll be something wrong with it.
- We went to see our grandson, Turbo, yesterday. It takes most of the day, but it’s always worth it! His daddy ordered him some washable crayons that showed up while we were there. Turbo loved the crayons, and carried two around with him while we went on walks and toddler-exploring outside. Then once back inside the house, he discovered he could put the two crayons in one of the dog dishes–and Mommy was so busy on a phone call (we were watching him so she could make the call), that she didn’t notice and stop him. Grandma and Grandpa let him play with the clean dog dish and two crayons. Best Day Ever for Turbo! They are so easily amused at this age, LOL! (FYI, Grandpa secretly checked with Mommy, and she said it was fine, she’d just wash his hands before he ate lunch. What a good Mommy!)
- Maggie swears she’s not getting gray. Um….
So that’s my Friday Five. Now I’d love to hear yours!! I hope everyone has a super-fabulous weekend!
Friday, April 5th, 2019
Happy Friday! It’s time to share five random things about our week, here’s mine:
- Yesterday was Wizard’s birthday. We went to a steak and lobster dinner. The lobster was amazing! We had a great time together.
- Yesterday on my walk with Maggie, I fell. Sigh…I’m fine. I was winding around the edge of the mostly dry creek bed, and stepped on a soft spot that gave way. I slid, and hit my left arm and shoulder, but it wasn’t full impact since it was a sliding-fall. And thankfully, I didn’t hit a rock! I imagine I’ll be a bit sore today but I don’t think I did any damage except to my pride.
- Allergy season is here Even Maggie sneezes a couple of times on our walks. Benadryl is my new friend. I’ve never had allergies this bad.
- Maggie stood like this for five minutes because she believed there was a lizard hiding in that plant. I wish I could concentrate on my book like she does on finding lizards!
- This weekend we’re going to Middle Son’s house to continue celebrating Wizard’s birthday.
That’s my Friday 5, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, March 29th, 2019
TGIF! Okay I have a glass of wine (I’m writing this at Wine O’Clock on Thursday evening), and it’s time to share 5 random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- It’s crazy how busy I am NOT writing. Next week, I really do want to get back to the book! This week has been filled with normal life stuff, plus getting ready for a bridal shower this weekend for my nephew’s finance. It’s a couple hours away from my house, but celebrating these important life moments are worth the drive.
- We went to visit our grandson, Turbo, on Wednesday, and I took zero pictures :-(. Bad Grandma! Aside from that, we had so much fun with Turbo. He’s all toddler now, and into everything, but still easy enough to distract. Hmm…that sounds like my brain, is it possible I have Toddler Brain?
- I will never understand how parents can kill their children. We’ve had a rash of those cases in So Cal lately, from babies to preteens. It’s just horrifying and heartbreaking. What made me think of it today is that we have blue ribbons tied around various places all over town for an 8 year old boy missing in a nearby community. The hope was that the boy would be found alive. Sadly, the police announced today, that while they haven’t actually found the boy yet, they have enough evidence to charge the dad with murder, and the mother with child endangerment. I will never understand it. Ever.
- Wizard and I watched a movie (on Amazon Prime, and I believe it’s also on Netflix) called, Walk. Ride. Rodeo. based on the true story of nineteen-year-old champion rodeo rider Amberley Snyder who was paralyzed in an accident and her fight to ride again. Amberley Snyder, along with her sister, starred in the movie and did her own stunts. Wizard and I were both moved and inspired by this movie/story.
- I also listened to a nonfiction audiobook called BAD BLOOD, Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. This is part of the synopsis on Amazon: The full inside story of the breathtaking rise and shocking collapse of Theranos, the one-time multibillion-dollar biotech startup founded by Elizabeth Holmes—now the subject of the HBO documentary The Inventor—by the prize-winning journalist who first broke the story and pursued it to the end. It’s an interesting book if you’re interested in how multi-million dollar scams like this happen. Unlike parents killing children, I can logically grasp how this happens, and the book laid it out very well. But it still makes me sick that people not only lie and cheat, but risk people’s lives. For those of us who write fiction, this kind of story can be very interesting in developing characters.
That’s my five random things for the week, and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great week!
Friday, March 22nd, 2019
TGIF! I don’t know where the week went–all I heard was the whoosh of time passing and suddenly, it’s Friday! Okay here’s 5 random things about my week:
- Our little city has gained worldwide fame for the poppy craze. There’s even shots from satellite picture space, LOL! (See the picture.) All the orange are the poppies in the canyon that is just a couple of miles from my house. So this weekend, I’m staying home.
- The last two days have rained, and there’s still diehards trying to see the poppies. Um…they only bloom in sunlight But truly I understand it, this is a rare beauty and people want to experience it.
- My book is a battlefield as big as the Poppy Apocalypse. Not kidding. I’m so freaking annoyed and tired of this. Also, Wine Is My Friend.
- I’ve been on a semi-diet for a day and a half. Still not skinny. Sad
- My dog, Maggie, is an amazing gift! Maybe to others, she’s just a dog, but to me, she’s special. She brings Wizard and I love, loyalty and laughter that we would never have known without her. And she reminds me to be grateful each and every day. Maggie was worth waiting for (most of you know how long I waited to have a dog of my own!), and I’ll treasure her for all the days we have with her.
Okay so that’s my Friday Five, and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
Friday, March 8th, 2019
TGIF, it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I have a boomerang version of this cold. Wizard has had the normal progression: Sore throat, congestion, a little cough, feeling icky for two to three days, then improving steadily each day after that. He’s almost kicked the cold entirely. I had two days of a sore throat and some congestion which then disappeared. Tuesday evening, it returned coated in ground glass which scraped all over my throat for two days and nights. Yesterday afternoon, my throat was improving dramatically, thereby saving me a trip to Urgent Care, so yay for that! Now I appear to just have the tail end of a cold.
- Wizard is convinced I went back to writing too soon. Maybe, but I’m really trying! I had one day this week when I was obsessed with writing and had to force myself to stop and walk away at 5pm. (Okay, Wizard may have used a glass of wine to lure me away from the computer, LOL) I love that feeling! Yesterday, I couldn’t make a scene work no matter what I tried, and I ended up doing laundry, vacuuming, dusting, anything else but writing. That kind of monotonous busy work, sadly, helps me think too. Hopefully by today, I’ll have the solution to tackle and tame the scene.
- Next week I have jury duty again. I had it not long after my surgery, but once I showed up wearing my hard brace, and the still healing scar on my throat, they were happy to defer it for almost three months
- One day, I want to write a fast-paced, can’t-catch-your-breath thriller. Or suspense. I love both suspense and thrillers. However I can’t stomach horror movies, and or gory scenes. Heck, I can barely stomach watching the news.
- I hope to finally have lunch with Biker Witch today. I had to cancel last Friday because I was getting sick. Then we cancelled plans Wednesday because it was raining (we were meeting at an outdoor mall). Tomorrow may be iffy as Biker Witch had a small procedure today (she’s okay), and it’s possible she may not feel up to it. But we’ll get together soon one way or another!
That’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend! And for most of us in the U.S., don’t forget to set your clocks forward an hour on Saturday night
Friday, March 1st, 2019
This was a quick week! Okay time to share our Friday Five.
- The hills around us are filled with yellow-orange poppies. People come to our city to hike up and see them. It’s really amazing. I didn’t get a chance to snap my own picture, but this is what it looks like:
- I’ve been to the gym twice this week and if I can get there this morning, that will make three which would be great. But, Wizard and I may be coming down with a cold, and if we are, any guesses where we got it? While the gym is good for many things, it also attracts people who don’t have the courtesy to stay away when they are sick :-(. It could just be allergies though, we’re having a lot of those here in So. Cal. with the wildly swinging weather.
- Tuesday, Wizard and I went to hang out with Turbo. We had so much fun playing with him! We took him for a walk, played soccer (he kicks a ball, it’s adorable), played with toys, and finally, he fell asleep on me. He slept three and a half hours–we wore the kid out, LOL!
- Wizard and I looked at some one-story houses this week. Then we stressed over numbers. Then we bought a lotto ticket and drank some wine. But life is good, we have a home, the family is healthy, and we’ll move when the time is right.
- Today I’m meeting Biker Witch (my sister) for lunch and a little retail therapy. That’s always a good day.
I didn’t talk about writing, but I’m working when I can. I need a few more hours of energy in the day to get everything done! So that’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours!
Have a great weekend!
Friday, February 22nd, 2019
Well that was another fast week! So youngest (BLB) called last night to chat, and now I’m writing this blog in a rush. It’s all his fault Here’s my Friday Five!
- It’s snowing in some parts of our town. We’re hoping it snows here sometime during (last) night!
- I went to the gym for the first time this week. I’m barely sore and mostly in my calves. Of course, Wizard went with me to make sure I didn’t do anything stupid I was grateful for his help because it’s all new equipment at the gym since the last time I was there, and I plan to go with him a few more times before I do it on my own.
- I’ve been writing, but progress is elusive since I keep reorganizing to find the right pacing. But as Wizard points out, I can write again for a few hours without pain, so that’s a win.
- I made a new recipe last night: Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Wizard ate it all, and said he liked it, although it was a bit spicy for him. I liked it too.
- This weekend I’m babysitting my grandson Turbo for a couple of hours! Wizard is going racing with Middle Son, so Middle Son’s wife (I must come up with a name for her, she’s our family chef, wine connoisseur and volunteers at a pet rescue–there’s so much to choose from!) is coming over to help with the Turbo Machine. We’ll have fun together with Turbo! I’m so looking forward to that.
That’s my quick FF, now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
« Previous Page — Next Page »