Monday, May 1st, 2017
It was a decent weekend, except I didn’t get the start on Savaged Devotion that I’d hoped for (and really need!!). I’m pretty sure it’s combination of three things:
- My doctor put me on a nerve pain med that’s making me a little spacey (it’s not a narcotic, this is just my reaction). I’m going to skip the morning dose today (Monday), and just take it at night. Hopefully I’ll focus better.
- The sinus infection that keeps on giving. Both Wizard and I are having issues–we’re not super sick, just plugged ears and pressure that we’re told is normal with this particular cold virus/sinus infection/endless misery. It’s weird because we thought we were all better, then BAM, round three shows up.
- And I know these opening scenes for Savaged Devotion are going to be emotionally tough so I’m in avoidance mode Although I’ve been sorting out timeline issues, so I’ve been working, but just don’t have tangible pages to show for it.
My marketing plan for Savaged Dreams and the whole trilogy is taking up more time. Anna’s (my assistant) is doing her part too, but unfortunately, some things I have to do. I wish I could clone myself (the smarter, more production side of me, not the lazy butt, wine-drinking, excuse-making side ) The reality is in the current climate of self-publishing that is completely saturated with new books, and readers are weary of getting burned by bad experiences, it takes a LOT more effort to sell. I’m really striving to reach reviewers and other sources readers trust to help them find my books. All that said, when I get some time, I want to do a detailed blog on my thoughts and experiences on marketing.
The highlight of our weekend was a steak and shrimp dinner Wizard and I attempted. We haven’t cooked shrimp much, and tried to BBQ them on skewers basted in an olive oil mixture. The shrimp came out a little tough. But add in a good bottle of wine (yeah, I know, I’m on meds…sometimes we live dangerously, plus I timed it carefully) along with some Dove chocolate candy, and turned out to be a fun night. It doesn’t take much to keep us entertained, LOL!
And a personal highlight for me, I saw a reviewer read an advance copy of Savaged Dreams and rated it 5 Stars on Goodreads with the comment “Loved!” Her review won’t post until the blog tour–but OMG it make me so happy. I think she’s the only reviewer I sent the book to that early, and that was just because we talked on Twitter about something else. Most of the review copies haven’t even gone out yet but they will be soon.
So that was my weekend, how was yours?
Friday, April 28th, 2017
Happy Friday! Let’s do Friday Five
- First the shocker–I’m switching to decaf coffee and cut out diet cokes. I’ve been working on it for a week and a half and no humans, animals or fictional characters have hurt in the process :-). By next week, I’ll 100% on decaf coffee (yes, I know decaf has some caffeine.) Are you impressed????
- So why am I getting mean about caffeine? Midway through May I’m having a routine procedure that begins with colon and ends with why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this-oscopy. Anyway, I can’t have coffee the day of the why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this procedure. People were frightened by this prospect. And by people I MEAN WIZARD THE BIG COWARD. (Love you Wizard, but admit it, you were scared, LOLOL!)
- So it turns out that I’m not indestructible. I’m blame Justice and Liza (from the Savaged Illusions Trilogy) for this. Writing Savaged Vows became an obsession and chained me to the computer! I saw my doctor yesterday for my shoulder/arm/neck pain. As soon as he walked into the room, he sat down and said, “So who did you punch?” I resisted the urge to confess that in the last month or two I’ve mentally punched at least four fictional characters because I don’t have time for a psyche evaluation right now…or ever. Instead I explained about deadlines, and begged for help getting back to being
an obsessive nut job a full time writer. The doctor was able feel spasms in the shoulder/arm/neck area and thinks I have a pinched nerve. The end result is I got a shot, some prescriptions and I’ll start physical therapy next week. But he didn’t ask for a psyche eval…so it’s all good!
- I’m really worrying about writing Savaged Devotion. Book 2 ended so powerfully, (as did book 1) and now the bar is so high…how am I going to surpass it? The answer is by ignoring the panic, keeping my butt in the chair and trusting my characters. Oh, did I mention I have to write this full length novel in two and a half months? Obviously this is the perfect time to deal with a shoulder problem, commit to physical therapy, do a colon-why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this-oscopy and give up caffeine. Bwhahahaha!!!
- I’m listening to the audiobook TAKE ME BACK by Meghan March and love it! It’s starts off as a straight romance about a couple who goes on vacation for 10 days to save their marriage. It’s emotional and sexy…and then it takes a turn into action and suspense and I love it! There were just enough hints in the beginning that it’s not completely out of the blue, but written so well that it’s a welcome twisty surprise.
That’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn to share five random things about your week.
Wednesday, April 26th, 2017
Happy Hump Day! I’ve been taking a small break from working 12 hour days, partly to rest my shoulder and partly because I’m just tired and don’t want to burn out. I’m seeing a doctor on Thursday for my shoulder, so no lectures, LOL! (My sister, AKA Biker Witch and Wizard pushed me into making the appointment).
In other news, Wizard and I made the mistake of buying new lamps in the family room because the old lamps were dying an ugly death (and they were ugly to boot). One little change, and now we’re out shopping for furniture and tables to go with the new lamps. It’s a slippery and expensive slope! It’s also frustrating to find what we like and that fits the slightly awkward space.
Okay let’s move onto our Wednesday Worthy Candidate. I’ve had this one for a couple of weeks, and now he gets his chance to show his stuff:
So what do you think–is he worthy?
Monday, April 24th, 2017
I finished the revisions for Savaged Vows and sent them off to my editor on Sunday. I ‘m happy about that! After that, we had my sister (Biker Witch) and her husband out. We ordered food for dinner because I was too lazy to cook, but I made an apple pie for dessert so I don’t totally suck as a hostess
The only downside of the weekend is my shoulder/arm thing isn’t getting better. For a little while it was improving, then it got worse. In fact Sunday night I was trying to write a longer blog about revisions and craft, but my shoulder/arm refused to cooperate and I deleted it in frustration. I may have to admit defeat and go to the doctor. He’ll tell me to rest it, I’ll tell him I took all of Sunday afternoon off and I don’t understand why that’s not enough rest.
Then I’ll get THAT LOOK. You know, the one that says I can’t fix stupid.
Yeah. That look.
On the other hand, it might clear up if I keep ignoring it.
So how was your weekend?
Friday, April 21st, 2017
Wow it’s been a fast and weird week full of technical glitches. Most of them are solved now though. So here’s my announcement–which will go out in my newsletter next week: I’ve added a bonus scene to the digital version of my novella, SAVAGED SURRENDER and the book is free at most vendors! (If it’s not free in a country outside the US or the UK, we’re working on it and it will be soon). If you haven’t bought the book, get it now!
Kindle / Nook / iBooks / Kobo / Google Play
But if you have bought it and just want the bonus scene, you can grab that at InstaFreebie here. (You just have to put in your name and email to claim the file).
Click here to claim your copy on InstaFreebie
Warning: This is a very sexy scene. After I finished writing the book, Ethan (the hero) wouldn’t leave me alone. He kept telling me that he’d promised Anna, his heroine, that he’d fulfill her fantasy and I ended the book too soon. At the time, I didn’t have space in the book for the scene as it was going in 1,001 Dark Nights, so I closed the door before they got to the actual fantasy.
Now I’ve opened that door Read at your own risk! And I’ve also included a first chapter preview to Savaged Dreams (releasing June 19th, 2017).
Otherwise, I’m hunkered down and editing Savaged Vows to get off to my editor by Sunday night. I’ll make the deadline! And Sunday we’re having Biker Witch and her Biker Hubby out for awhile which will be an awesome break.
I love writing these books, but work is consuming my life and I dream of a whole weekend off one day!
What are your weekend plans? Whatever they are, Happy Friday and Have a Great Weekend!
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017
I’ve been swimming upstream against a lot of frustrations that are out of my control and slowing me down, but despite that, I’m making progress! I have most of the revisions done for Savaged Vows, although I don’t know if they work or not. But now I’m going to do a hard edit and try to clean up some of the typos and sloppy writing to get that back to my editor this weekend.
And speaking of swimming, here is our Wednesday Worth Candidate:
So what do you think? Is he worthy?
Monday, April 17th, 2017
The weekend was a blur of work and fun! Yesterday all the our sons and their girls came over, along with two extra kids and two dogs. It was a full house and a blast. Corky is the laid back dog who hung out and “helped” me in the kitchen. He worked hard to make sure no food actually touched the floor :-). Jett’s the family 60 lb puppy, and he was full of mischief yesterday. I can’t help but laugh at his antics–it really is just puppy mischief. Jett’s a growing into a great dog with a very sweet nature.
It’s great to see everyone!
At the same time, I have week or less to get this revision done, and juggling three other projects. It’s all pretty crazed right now, but I’m swimming as fast as I can to keep up. But I’m not complaining because I get to do a job I love.
How was your weekend and Easter?