Wednesday, May 9th, 2018
A quick update before we get to Wednesday Worthy. I got the results back from my brainscan, and despite Biker Witch’s snort of disbelief, my brain is normal!
Yeah, Wizard choked a little too. In fact, he demanded to see a copy of the report, and HA! I have proof that I am normal! Well my brain is anyway.
Okay, serious face here, I am enormously relieved and grateful. There is no evidence of tumors lurking around my auditory nerves and creating the havoc going on in my head. The ENT doctor agreed that all, or at least most, of the symptoms are likely coming from my bulging cervical discs and nerve compression. So my next surgical injection date is June 7th, and that will be a series of 6 to 8 injections into the cervical facet joints.
Enough of that, let’s leap ahead to Wednesday Worthy. I found this guy pondering the whole #Cockygate thread going on Twitter, but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t realize it’s an author getting a dubious trademark on a commonly used word, rather than a reference to anatomy. But don’t blame him, for anyone who’s not a writer, or following authors on social media, there’s no reason they would know
So what do you think, is he worthy?
Monday, May 7th, 2018
It was a good weekend, but there’s no way I can get everything crammed into this blog in the short time I have to write it, so I’ll recap with–we had a good weekend. We saw Baby Slayer and he’s getting bigger, stronger, faster and amazing!! Here’s the picture I posted on my FB of him (he’s 7 weeks old):
Now taking off my Grandma Hat and dusting off my Author Hat: If you’ve ventured anywhere romanceland online over the weekend, you’ve probably heard that latest uproar. I oftentimes avoid social media pile ons, but I consider this a potentially serious threat to authors. My recap is this: A self published author has trademarked the word “Cocky” that appears in her series title, thereby (supposedly) preventing other authors from using the word in their titles. And she’s sending takedown notices to authors who’ve used “Cocky” in their published single book titles.
**NOTE: I am not a lawyer, I don’t play one on TV and this is not legal advice**
However, I’m an author who’s been around a long time, and I’m calling this a cheap-ass, attention-grabbing, bullying move. If it’s not and I’m wrong, I’ll happily admit it. But from where I stand, that’s what it looks like. The word “Cocky” has been appearing in titles for quite awhile now BEFORE she used it, and it’s a commonly used word in romance. It’s my opinion (and only an opinion) that it should never have passed the trademark threshold, but that’s not something I’m not at all qualified to judge, so whatever.
However I’ve been a human being for decades now, and I’m not seeing much humanity in her actions of sending authors cease and decease letters with a threat to sue, and then reporting them to Amazon, as the authors involved claimed has happened (see copy of takedown letter here). That does not show class, integrity or good business sense.
Again I could be wrong.
But I’m not wrong about this: If something like this happens to you as an author in the romance world, reach out to your fellow authors. We will try to help you if we can. That’s exactly what is happening with this latest uproar that has the (unfortunate in my view) name of “#Cockygate” on Twitter. You can also read more about it here http://jennytrout.com/?p=12071 and a more legal explanation here of Trademark here http://legalinspiration.com/?p=503
Also if you’ve been targeted for using “cocky” in a book title, Romance Writers of America would like to hear from you. They are working with an IP attorney to clarify this issue, and hopefully resolve it. Contact Carol Ritter firstname.lastname@example.org
What I want you all to take away from this bears repeating: IF SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS TO YOU, ASK FOR HELP! The romance community has its faults, but when we pull together to help authors we feel are being treated unfairly, we are powerful and relentless. You’re not alone. We may not be able to give you an instant fix, but we can be there to support and help you. I’ve reached out in my career and received help, and I believe I’ve helped others.
So, as you may know, I’ve been very quiet on most social media lately, and in fact, this blog is where I engage the most. But even though writing is a struggle for me with my cervical spine issues right now, I still care passionately about all my fellow authors. I respect their hard work and right to make a living. So here I am speaking out
Okay, stepping off my soapbox now. How was your weekend? As always, I really want to know!
Friday, May 4th, 2018
TGIF Again! Okay time for some randomness! I’ll list five random things about my week, and then it’s your turn to do the same
- On Wednesday, it was so cold I had long sleeves and a jacket on to walk Maggie. On Thursday, it was so hot, I wore shorts and a tank for our afternoon walk. And by dinner time, both Wizard and I had sinus headaches…because the weather is psychotic.
- We had a scheduled power outage from 2am to 5am Thursday morning. Both Wizard and I woke up the second the power went off and didn’t sleep. There’s no logical reason for this, but our brains both decided we should be awake and so we were.
- I made tacos last night for dinner, and I fried Wizard’s taco shells the way he likes them even though they are good for him. Bad Jen. But how can I say no when I know he loves them fried??
- Maggie doesn’t have a watch, but she knows when it’s time for her morning walk around 8am, and her afternoon walk around 3pm. She’s sits and stares at me if I’m working.
- And…Wizard’s eyes surgery appears to have worked this time! And both he and his surgeon are happy. I’m so happy for him.
That’s my randomness, now it’s time to share yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend.
P.S., I get to see Baby Slayer this weekend!
Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018
In my search for the right candidate, I have seen things I can’t unseen. First, my “safe search” filters were off, and WHOA…I need some bleach for my eyes and brain! I’m not sure why my filters are skewed, I’ll figure that out later. After that, I somehow got in the central casting reject room for all the wannabe Tarzans, Hulks and Wolverines. Also…why was that one guy dressed in a fur hat and creepy mist???? So weird.
Anyhow, this is the guy I finally settled on, even though I suspect he might have Elf lineage (or my eyes are still trying to recover).
So what do you think, is he worthy?
Monday, April 30th, 2018
You know how to tell Biker Witch is my sister????
So on Saturday, I asked Biker Witch to drive me to a MRI because the plan was to clamp down my head and shove me into a tube for an hour for a brain scan. Yeah, like that’s going to happen while I’m completely sober or, you know, conscious. I can barely handle boarding a plane, walking down those tight aisles with people crowding in front of, and behind me, makes me break out in a clammy sweat. Being shoved into a tube?
I pulled out my old friend Xanax. I had some left from the last time some doctor decided on this brand of torture. I’d put it in the back of my cupboard and forgotten about it. Saturday, Xanax and I got acquainted. Biker Witch loaded me up in her car and off we went. The MRI went fine. The nice people there strapped my head down, pulled a white plastic looking-cage over it, and pushed me into the machine that was louder than a jet plane for roughly half an hour.
The good news is that while I was in there, I couldn’t hear the tinnitus. Or a bomb going off in the same room. A fire alarm could have sounded and I wouldn’t have known (or cared, thanks to Xanax).
Then I was pulled me out, some glow-in-the-dark juice injected into my veins, and rolled me back into the noise tunnel. I stayed calm, still, and kept my eyes closed, mostly because I only planned to do this ONE TIME. And then it was over. I got a copy of the MRI on a CD and then Biker Witch and I had lunch and came home. I won’t get the results until mid next week, but using my medical degree from UGI (University of Google Images), I scanned the files and didn’t see anything particularly scary like a big tumor. I was also able to determine that yes, I do have a brain in my head
Now we’ll wait and see if the radiologist and specialist agree with my medical assessment. NOTE: This was just a necessary precaution. I don’t want to make the MRI sound dramatic. There’s only an extremely slim chance there’s anything worrisome going on, we just had to do it to rule things out because of the way my symptom presented.
So back to my question at the top. Do you know how to tell Biker Witch is my sister? In payment for doing this for me,
she demanded I gave her my freshly baked chocolate chunk cookies. Only my sister would take payment in chocolate chunk cookies!
Fortunately, I had backup cookies frozen! Shhhh, don’t tell Biker Witch :-).
Seriously, guys, Biker Witch and her Biker Hubby rock! Biker Witch was more than willing to drive all over, navigating through some ugly traffic, to do this for me. She and her Biker Hubby also brought Wizard his very favorite boysenberry pie. That pie helped him feel much better. I’ve always been able to rely on Biker Witch and Biker Hubby for anything, anytime. That’s not something I ever want to abuse, but it’s sure a relief knowing they are there when I need them.
Wizard is recovering well, by the way.
How was your weekend?
Friday, April 27th, 2018
TGIF!! I hope everyone had a great week! It’s time to share five random things about our week. Here are mine:
1) So far, Wizard is recovering well from his surgery. It turned out to be a lot longer and more involved than originally expected, but that’s how these things can go. Fingers crossed that this time it works. Medicine is sometimes as much art and luck as it is science and skill.
2) Maggie is home! I missed her so much when she was at boarding, but it was nice not having to worry about her being alone. They are so sweet to her there.
3) Chocolate chunk cookies happened yesterday. **Hangs head in shame** I have no excuse except that baking is stress relief for me, even when I’m not feeling my best. I did freeze some of the cookies so I guess I could claim I was preparing for the future???
4) I just spent forty minutes on the phone with CPA Boy discussing diapers, sleep schedules and spitting up, and how Baby Slayer had the hiccups, then spit up and arced the flow so that it went over the collar of CPA Boy’s shirt and down his stomach. Um what happened to his college days when I heard stories of parties and crazy antics?
5) Oh and last night I made spaghetti with the big plan to freeze half the spaghetti sauce to use later. Last time I made spaghetti, I had this same plan and forgot when I was cleaning up. This time, Wizard reminded me, and I had the container set out next to the pan of cooling sauce…then while talking to CPA Boy on the phone (see #4) I was cleaning the kitchen and threw out the sauce. Sigh…Wizard is STILL laughing as I’m writing this blog.
That’s my week, now it’s your turn to share 5 things about your week. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Wednesday, April 25th, 2018
Yesterday afternoon I took Maggie to Doggy Daycare where she’ll stay for two nights. She gave me such a sad look when I left. Never mind that when she heard Emily, the owner’s voice, she’d started right for her until she remembered me and that she should act sad…
My dog is a such a girl! I happen to know she has a good time once I’m gone, but her little performance still made me feel guilty. However Wizard and I have a really long day with his surgery and I know I’m doing the best thing for Maggie.
Now for all of you, I’m sharing one of my favorite Hunks from my files:
So what do you think? Is he worthy? Feel free to share one of YOUR favorite hunk picture in the comments if you feel like it.