Friday, March 15th, 2019
This week was a whirlwind! Okay here’s five random things about my week:
- I had to go to jury duty on Wednesday. I made it as far as being selected as an alternate juror on a criminal trial before being excused. I have a friend going through something very close to the charges against the defendant in this case, so the judge excused me. I really liked this judge. He was very good at handling ridiculous excuses in a couple of jurors, and had us all laughing at times, while maintaining excellent control over his courtroom. I wouldn’t mind serving as a juror on a short trial in his courtroom at some point, but this wasn’t the best fit for me, and he agreed once I expressed my concern.
- So many people were sick and coughing in that jury room! Since I’m at the end of my cold, I should be safe, but wow, that crud is going around everywhere.
- I’ve had very little time to write this week. I’m not complaining though, there are worse things that having a busy life filled with people I care about. And I’m still sticking to stopping most work/activity at 4 or 5 (except for cooking dinner and cleanup) to keep healing. My doctors had all warned me how long healing would take, and they weren’t wrong. But I’m doing great, with a lot less pain than I had before the surgery. In time, I’ll get back up to the speed I’m aiming for.
- Turbo turns one year old this weekend! It went so fast, and that boy is such a joy to Wizard and me! We’re having a little family party at our house on Sunday. I’m making beef and chicken tacos, and my version of strawberry shortcake, which is semi-homemade pound cake as the base for the strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
- It’s also our daughter-in-law’s (Middle Son’s wife)! We all love her and feel very lucky to have her in our family!
That was my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Have a great weekend!
March 15th, 2019 at 6:46 am · Link
I’m glad you were well enough to go to jury duty and now you shouldn’t have to worry about that for a while. Ugh on the germ fest at court. I’m so happy to hear you’re doing well with your recovery and that your writing is moving along. (Slow is still moving.) I can’t believe Turbo is already one. Happy Birthday, Little Dude! And happy birthday to your Daughter-In-Law!
1) I’m drawing a blank this morning.
2) Kira just woke herself up snoring. I swear that cat snores worse than an old man. She will be 16 in May, so I can’t really fault her.
3) It’s been so windy here I’m afraid to walk around the yard for fear I’ll get hit in the head by one of the many falling sticks. Clean up after the wind will be a major haul.
4) I hope the wind dies down today. I have errands to run and I hate fighting the wind in my little car.
5) I was talking to Mom yesterday and she told me one of my cousins (who I haven’t seen since I was a kid) is in the hospital and isn’t expected to make it. Which led us to talking about the fact that so far, we haven’t lost a single cousin of my generation. There have been a few near misses, but we’re all still here. Knock on wood and with every hope he pulls through.
March 15th, 2019 at 11:25 am · Link
B.E. I’m amazed how fast Turbo’s first year went by! He’s not a baby anymore. Okay lets talk about your five:
1) You’re a blank slate today
2) At 16, I bet your glad to hear Kira snoring. She’s definitely getting up there in cat years.
3) That’s strong wind! You’re smart to be cautious, and I don’t envy you the cleanup.
4) Hopefully the winds give you and your little car a break.
5) I’m so sorry your cousin is in such worrisome condition. I’ll add my prayers for your cousin. And you guys have been fortunate not to have lost any in your generation, hope it stays that way for a while longer.
I really hope you have a nice weekend and get some unexpectedly good news about your cousin.
March 15th, 2019 at 12:30 pm · Link
Happy Birthdays! Everyone–especially writers–should do jury duty at least once in their lives. The people watching is worth the “price of admission.” Glad you are still be cautious and letting healing take its own time. Now, my five:
1) Stormageddon turns 5 next Friday, but his party is at the American Legion post tomorrow.
2) I have romance chapter meeting tomorrow, also at the AmLeg post. I’m saving gas.
3) Lawyer Guy has had to pull some all-nighters this week. As a result, BOTH of our sleep schedules are out of whack. (Of course, my bouts of insomnia don’t help.)
4) I’ve given up on trying to revise the current RDR book (that was due in October. ) I’m tossing it all out and starting from scratch. Basically, same premise but everything else is…all topsy-turvied. We’ll see if that works.
5) Aannndddd….I got nuthin’. Y’all will just have to put up with my boring life. Have a great weekend!
March 15th, 2019 at 3:14 pm · Link
1. That’s funny how you have a friend with a similar issue as the person on the case in question. Sounds like the judge is a good guy. I got dismissed from a case back in 1986 because I wore a mini-skirt .
2. Yup, the crud is everywhere.
3. You will be up and writing at full speed soon. You are healing very well.
4. Turbo is SO cute. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG GUY!!!!
5. Happy Birthday to DIL as well.
1a. I was sick most of the week. Nasty belly thing.
2a. Hubs is now sick. He is not nearly as bad as I was so he should be back to Harrison duty Monday.
3a. Harrison face-timed us last night. There were storms all around and this time thunder frightened him .
4a. I think I’m going to make a lemon pie Sunday to go with the corned beef/cabbage dinner. Something to off set the stink of the cabbage .
5a. Haven’t had any chocolate since Saturday and you know, I’m still alive.
Have a great weekend and enjoy the birthday party/s.
March 15th, 2019 at 5:09 pm · Link
Silver, this particular case had a lot of interesting characters in the jury pool. The excuses were pretty funny, all versions of the dog ate my homework, and the judge was not sympathetic, LOL! Okay now for your five:
1) I know about how old Stormagedden is and yet it still shocks me to read 5!!!
2) Wow that’s impressive that both your meeting and his birthday celebration are at the same place! That rarely ever happens for me.
3) I don’t know how LG does all nighters. I might not sleep, but I’m not productive either. I’m impressed he could do it! But yeah…that really plays havoc with sleep schedules. I’m so sorry your insomnia is on full bloom right now.
4) Sometimes, tossing out the book is the right move. I know this one has been a struggle for you, HUGS!!! Hitting this wall is painful in so many ways. Hopefully starting over from the basic premise will shake it all loose for you!
5) You so don’t have a boring life!!
I hope you have a great meeting and Happy Early Birthday to Stormagedden (JGG) !!!
March 15th, 2019 at 5:17 pm · Link
Viki, LOL on getting released for a mini-skirt! That’s pretty classic. Wizard was once excused for insisting his wife was a “housewife” not a “homemaker”. Okay let’s talk about you:
1) That’s awful that you’ve been so sick all week. That’s much worse than a 24 stomach bug. I hope you’re feeling better.
2) Poor hubs, hope he recovers as quickly as you anticipate. We don’t want Harrison or hubs disappointed on Monday.
3) Aww on Harrison being scared by the storms. Did Face-timing with you and grandpa help him?
4) Lemon pie sounds yummy! I haven’t had corned beef and cabbage in decades.
5) What’s this? People can survive for DAYS WITHOUT CHOCOLATE??? I thought that was just an old wives tale
I hope you are feeling more yourself and have a good weekend!