Friday, May 31st, 2019
TGIF! Okay here’s five random things about my week.
- If I had witch powers, I’d stop the crazy ass storms ripping across the country. I’d also do a bunch of other stuff, like heal sick kids, and zap common sense into some people.
- Wednesday was Middle Son’s birthday. I made him lemon pound cake, and we went out to dinner with him and his wife. It was low-key, but a really nice evening. I’m so very proud of Middle. He’s grown into an interesting, caring and responsible adult that I want to hang out with–all the things any mom could hope for. And I love his wife, I can easily hang out with her too!
- Maggie spent long time smelling one of my shirts. It needed to hang dry, so I hung it on the doorknob, and for some reason, it really caught her interest. I wonder if she could smell my scent on it despite just washing it? Or maybe she liked my choice of fabric softener? I have no idea.
- I just started listening to an audio book called, DOG ON IT. It’s a mystery about a PI and his dog investigating case, and told from the dog’s POV. I’ve only listened to a chapter, but it seems cute. As soon as I saw the dog was the protagonist, I bought the book
- To test my self-control, I bought the ingredients to make a homemade version of Dole Pineapple Whip (it’s like a creamy pineapple soft serve and delicious!) and to make chocolate chunk cooks. Will I cave in and make one or both? It’s a trick question, I don’t have any self-control, and I really need to get back to the gym ASAP!
So that’s five random things about my week, now I’d love to hear about your week. Stay safe and have a great weekend!
May 31st, 2019 at 6:04 am · Link
Witch powers would be awesome. Yay for Middle Son’s b-day and fun times! Heh, Maggie’s funny. Yay for cute books! Let us know how it goes, so we can snap it up if it’s good. Heh, self-control… I haz none.
1) I made cake cookies – chocolate chip ones – and then I had the bright idea to cut a bunch of mini-Snickers in half and press the halves into the warm cookies. Total cookie crack.
2) The plan for today is to make pizza. Of course, it was the plan for yesterday, but then I got reading and lost track of time. If I want pizza for dinner, I have to start making it at 2:30, so the dough has time to rise and all that.
3) Yes, it’s easier to buy pizza, but it’s healthier to make it.
4) I was out on my regular walk yesterday when I came around a bend and got a shock. One of the vacant hillside lots was totally cleaned up – all the underbrush, bushes, and small trees were gone. And for the first time, you can see the house at the top of the hill. It looks nice and all, but it was unexpected. I don’t know how many times in the past 6 years I’ve walked past that lot.
5) The next three days are supposed to be gorgeous here. It’ll be a nice break from the storms for us.
May 31st, 2019 at 11:00 am · Link
Only has some weather witching powers. She’s working on it. It is totally awesome when kids grow up to be friends, too. Sweet Maggie. Hope the book works out. Enjoy your cooking because yeah…self-control is for the birds. Okay, my five:
1. #13 OSU stunned the softball world by beating #4 and reigning national champ Florida State in Supers. Yesterday, they took down #5 Florida and will play OU in the WCWS winners bracket.
2. I fried up 4 pounds of bacon and 4 pounds of sausage patties for Post 12’s pancake breakfast tomorrow. The crew that normally does it was/were all out of pocket. I took a couple of days so I’m not worn out.
3. I’ve written 3 1/2 chapters this week. I need 4K words today to stay on track for a June 15th deadline. *FLAIL*
4. Still missing Cooper. A new puppers will come along eventually to help fill the hole in our hearts. Boone is getting better and less needy. He’ll even go outside by himself now.
5. I can’t believe May is over. Where has this year gone? I feel like I’ve been living in a bubble. Somebody needs to pop it. Like a big ol’ pimple.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
May 31st, 2019 at 2:43 pm · Link
1. I’m with you on all of it.
2. Isn’t nice to know you have such great kids. Proves they did listen after all :).
3. I bet Maggie could pick up your scent even with washing and fabric softener. Dogs are amazing.
4. DOG ON IT sounds wonderful. I love these kind of stories.
5. Yum! I bet you make both ;). Let us know on Monday.
1a. Yesterday Windows 10 had a new version update. I only have 3 MB internet speed so it took 4 hrs and 20 mins to download and install. So this morning I turn on the computer to update a book and prepare to put the computer into sleep mode and it says update and restart. How can this be? I just installed the new version yesterday. God only knows. Well, it’s done now.
3. It’s going to be cool here on Sunday and I’m looking forward to it. Any time the humidity drops is good with me.
4. Harrison is going on his first real vacation tomorrow. His parents are taking him to Hilton Head for a week. They are staying at a kid resort. Hubs is already going into withdrawal :).
5. I have a wet dog smell (dog has been gone for 10 yrs) in my family room. I can’t find it and it’s driving me nuts. I’ve cleaned the carpet, washed the wood floor and sprayed down the furniture. I’m at a loss :(.
I hope you have a really wonderful weekend!
May 31st, 2019 at 7:09 pm · Link
B.E., I’m trying to resist the call to bake! Okay now for you:
1) YUM!!! I rarely keep candy like that on hand, but YUM!
2) I bet your homemade dough is tastier too!
3) For sure! Homemade is almost always healthier.
4) I’ve had that happen, and it’s sort of a disorienting feeling in those first seconds. But I bet it looks nice now!
5) Enjoy the nice weather! You guys had enough storm threats and tornado warnings!
Hope you have a great weekend!
May 31st, 2019 at 7:17 pm · Link
Silver, I’m sending Only all my energy to help! I’ve managed the self control not ot make the cookies, but I’m seeing Turbo tomorrow and the night is still young here in California
1) Go OSU!!!
2) You’re amazing! I mean that with all my heart Silver. You put your money, energy and love where your mouth is and I admire that!
3) And you’re even more amazing! I know the deadline is a bullet train, but 3 1/2 chapters is progress! Go, go, GO!!!
4) Cooper deserves this time to cherish his memories and figure out how all of you go on without him here physically. But his love lives on! Eventually, you’ll have space in your hearts for another dog. And I love that you care how Boone is coping–it’s a big loss for him too. Special hugs to LG, since he and Cooper had a special bond.
5) LOL!! Yes I need that bubble popped too. May came and went so fast, I got windburn.
Hope you guys have a great weekend and I know everyone will love the pancake with all the bacon and sausage you provide with love despite losing Cooper, deadlines and illness!
May 31st, 2019 at 7:27 pm · Link
Viki, thank you so much for all the replies! I’m trying not to bake the cookies, but the pineapple whip is a single serving, so that I’m more willing to try and see if the recipe works
1) Those updates make me insane! My laptop has a hard time with them occassionally, so I feel your pain. Plus they are so damned–oops–darned intrusive. Glad it’s all done now.
2) Did you have a #2? I’ve had a glass of wine, so maybe I missed it?
3) I feel for you with humidity! Enjoy Sunday’s cooler temps.
4) Poor Hubs, LOL! That’s how Wizard is if he doesn’t see Turbo for a week. But a kid friendly resort sounds like a blast for Harrison. We stayed at a pretty kid friendly resort in Hawaii–kids there were having soooo much fun. And when we saw the kids, the parents were actually parenting, so we really enjoyed watching the kids.
5) Okay the wet dog smell is super weird. That’s a really specific smell. I’m honestly at a loss too. Is the dog you had ten years ago just saying hello? I’m not particularly woo-woo like that, but the older I get, the more I realize anything is possible. Or Spunk has stored a damp toy somewhere
I hope you and hubs have a great weekend!
June 1st, 2019 at 11:19 am · Link
Jenn, LOL – I did forget to write in #2 and now I’ve even forgotten what it was ;).
I like the thought of Tramp visiting but w/o the smell :).
Have a great day!