Friday, August 2nd, 2019
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing five random things around our week.
- So the news about Youngest Son (BLB). He and his fiance have bought a house! It closes this week, and they’ll get the keys on Sunday night. We are so danged thrilled for them! Youngest Son has been renting a room for years now, and saving money. We are bursting with pride for this kid! Both he and his fiance have worked hard to get to this point, and they absolutely love the house–an existing 3 bed, 2 bath home with a pool and jacuzzi! They are having a wonderful, and well-deserved good year with buying their first house and getting married in November! One added note, Youngest told me that he’s putting a fence around the pool ASAP for all the kids in the family, and to make sure Fiance’s two dogs are safe. That’s my boy! Money will be tight, but the safety of their family and pets is a priority.
- Our car is in the shop at least until sometime next week. It’s being repaired from the car accident caused by the other, uninsured, driver last week. Being down to one car is a pain, but at least Wizard’s not still working–that would have been a major problem. This is just a little inconvenient.
- My washing machine is screwing with me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a really good machine, and for various reasons I don’t want a new one. But this year, the WM (Washing Machine) has decided it will only spin when it wants too. Every other part of the cycle works great, including draining the tub. I’d say WM does this little trick about 20% of the time. But do you think we could get it to NOT spin while the repairman was here twice this week? Of course not. WM spun like a professional ballerina. LOLOL! After much research and debate, we’re going to replace a part that is the most likely culprit. Naturally he has to order the part, but it’s all good, WM works, it just adds a little mystery to my life with the Will I or Won’t I Spin game.
- I tested a shredded chicken for tacos or fajitas recipe yesterday and it was great! I’m making it into taquitos for me and Wizard, which I’m 90% sure will come out fine, but I’m writing this blog Thursday afternoon before I fry up the taquitos.
- But the real reason I’m testing the above recipe is we’re having a Family Pool Party on Sunday to celebrate my birthday. Wizard arranged it, and offered to cook, but um…I took over, LOL! I’m making shredded seasoned beef and chicken for easy fajitas after we swim. For the party, one daughter-in-law (Middle Son’s wife) told Wizard I can NOT make my own cake and she is bringing cupcakes. Love her so much for thinking of that. Wizard was going to try to make the cake, but I’m such a control freak that way, I’d have done it and she knows it. This gesture means so much to me. All our daughter-in-laws are bringing things to help out a lot. As far as the cooking I’m doing, I volunteered and enjoy it. I’ll do it all a day ahead, throw it in crock pots to reheat and forget it until we’re ready to eat. Sunday will be fun and family time. Turbo is a total water baby and I can’t wait to play with him in the pool!
So that’s some of my week, now I’d love to hear five random things about your week. Have a great weekend!
August 2nd, 2019 at 6:08 am · Link
Yay for BLB!! Boo for uninsured drivers and being w/o your car. Silly WM not behaving for you and not acting up in front of the repairman. Oh, yum and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope your party is awesome!
1) Watching Live PD, I sometimes wonder if we’re the only people in MO with licenses and insurance. WTF?
2) I bought stuff to make more granola bars. Hubs really loves them. This time, though, they’ll have mini-chocolate chips and maybe almonds.
3) I am so ready for fall to get here. Lower temperatures, better fishing, fewer bugs.
4) It’s been so long since I went fishing, I finally turned my last batch of worms loose. No use them dying in the fridge when they can go live in the rose bed and help the soil.
5) I can’t believe it’s August and I have nothing really to show for the year. It’s like I’ve been marching in place all year. Blerg.
August 2nd, 2019 at 9:02 am · Link
Proud like you for BLB & Fiancee!! Don’t get me started on uninsured drivers! Will your insurance cover a rental for y’all? WMs are evil like that. Crossing fingers the part takes care of it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Fun times with family and your is the best! My five:
1) Started the week with a 3 a.m. “tee time” at LaGuardia. Helped babysit for a young mom traveling alone (she was in line behind Only who immediately adopted her) on the last leg home and then naps for all.
2) Monday meant getting back into the swing of normal life. Laundry, critters, etc. Did get some writing done.
3) Hot and dry all week but got some rain this morning. Yay. I also brainstormed with LG on the last chapter. I was waffling on which direction to take. He agrees with my gut response so Yay. I’ll get the first draft of this sucker done today. As soon as I get off the internet.
4) Jake and Boone got baths yesterday. Yes, I was procrastinating (see above) but Boone stank and Jake had cooled off in the puppy pool before laying in the sandy soil that is our backyard plus still had a hint of skunk around his face and chest from the time he almost caught the stripey in the backyard. Jake didn’t mind it. Boone hates water. But they both now have fluffy fur and smell nice.
5) I finished listening to an old Lisa Kleypas historical about a Bow Street Runner which reminded me of a series I read YEARS ago about a Runner named Blackstone. The 6-book series is available on Kindle Unlimited for “free” (not totally free because I pay $9.99 a month for the subsription but usually get that back in the number of books I read). Too bad it’s not available in audio. I’ll just have to suffer through because I want to see if the books are as good as I remember.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY and have a fun weekend! I’m off to work.
August 2nd, 2019 at 2:47 pm · Link
1. Congratulations to BLB and fiance. How wonderful to start their life together in a house :). You and Wizard should be very proud :).
2. I was worried about that driver not having insurance when you said he didn’t have his info on him. That is so infuriating. I hope the repair isn’t too costly and that you have your car back soon.
3. Oh the washing machine :(. I hope yours gets fixed. I have a love hate relationship with mine.
4. Your chicken dinner sounds good :).
5. Nice – a pool party :). You all have a really wonderful time celebrating your birthday!
1a. Have to get ready soon to go have a drink with my friends hubby that retired. His surgery went well yesterday. We’re picking them up and taking them to the small party.
2a. Spunk finally LOVES his hammock that youngest bought him. He sleeps in it all the time.
3a. Signing papers to have the generator replaced. It’s a big ticket item but when you can’t flush your toilet when the power is out, the wife gets VERY nasty ;).
4a. The sciatica in my right leg is a killer today :(. It’s really been bad this week.
5a. We’re going to take this weekend slow since the next couple will be full. I think I may try and clean the front windows.
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:23 pm · Link
B.E, thanks on the birthday wishes and BLB! We found out today we won’t get the car back until the 18th, but that again, at least no one was hurt in the accident. Okay now for you:
1) It feels that way sometimes, doesn’t it? There are a LOT of unlicensed (or revoked licensed) & uninsured on CA roads too.
2) You can’t go wrong with mini chocolate chips in granola bars!
3) I’m with you on fall too.
4) The worms are probably very happy in your garden!
5) I feel the same way about August and nothing to show for it on the writing front. All we can do is keep moving forward.
Hope you have a great weekend!
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:32 pm · Link
Silver, thanks on Youngest and Fiance–like your daughter and husband, they work so hard and sacrificed a long time. Thanks on my birthday too My insurance doesn’t cover a rental, but that’s okay. It’s more of an inconvenience than a real problem like it would have been if Wizard was working. Now for you:
1) It’s been a long week for you! But you and Only were awesome to help the young mom traveling alone with her child. That is tough, and so many times people are rude rather than helpful.
2) Normal life is nowhere near as fun as vacations (even working vacations)!
3) Yay for the raining and brainstorming with LG! FYI: LG is an awesome partner. We’ve both known those husbands who have no interest.
4) Bathing those two big boys is a huge job! Tasks like that often help me plot and plan too. Glad the dogs are cleaning smelling and fluffy!
5) I hope the series is as good as, or even better, than your memory!
Enjoy your weekend!
August 2nd, 2019 at 5:41 pm · Link
Viki, yeah, we were pretty sure he didn’t have insurance. He was in Geicos, but not current. We believe he had insurance just long enough to register the car, then dropped it. We have uninsured motorist, so our insurance covers it. But the principle of it gets me. Thanks so much on Youngest, and my birthday. Now lets talk about you:
1) So he really is going out after his ankle surgery (I think it was ankle?)! I’m impressed. I hope he heals quickly, and you guys all have a great time.
2) I can picture Spunk sleeping in his hammock L-)
3) I know the generator has been giving you trouble for a while now, so it sounds like a good investment. I lived on septic in our old house for a while, and there were times we could not flush toilets due to a faulty system–I totally hear you on that!
4) Oh no, I feel for you on sciatica pain. I had that when I was pregnant with Middle, and it wasn’t fun. I hope it calms down soon. It sounds like it might be a good idea if you rest this weekend, and try to get the pressure off those nerves.
5) Cleaning windows is hard work! But I know how it is when you want to get it done. Maybe wait and see if your sciatica is up to it!
Hope you have a great weekend!