Friday, March 25th, 2022
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week.
- Dang it’s hot here. The birds have been loving it, chirping a cheerful song from early in the morning and throughout the day. Maggie’s been enjoying her favorite hobby of chasing lizards. But we’re supposed to get some desperately rain next week.
- We are all up to date (at the moment) on all the design upgrades and signing docs for our house. They “broke ground” on our lot this week.
- We bought a new desk chair. It sounds boring, but our old chair was shredding, and both of us were picking up pieces of vinyl between vacuuming every danged day. I don’t know why we let the chair get so bad, but we finally went to Staples to buy a new one, and paid a few extra bucks to have it assembled. Wizard can and does usually do that, but he’s been doing so much on our landscaping (normal stuff he does every year at this time) that I made an executive decision before he could even answer the guy. Totally worth it.
- I’ve been looking for a new desk. I have a huge oak desk that I have treasured for decades. We bought this whole oak set– desk, credenza, filing cabinet and two oak bookcases customized with cupboard doors on the third with my very first advance. But it’s time to downsize, so I’m looking for a desk and it’s not going well. I want to find a desk so I can figure out if we’ll keep the bookshelves and filing cabinet (maybe sand and paint) or I can sell it all as a set. There’s no rush, but even if for some reason we stay here, we will downsize the desk to fit our current lifestyle. On the other hand, nothing has to be done. We could always move the bookshelves and filing cabinet, and use a card table until we find something.
- Yesterday I helped Wizard buy bags of mulch then we spread it in the back planter. Maggie thought that was great fun. In fact, I’d gone in the house to put a roast in the crock pot real quick before helping in the spreading part, and when I came out, I found Maggie curled up outside the door waiting for me with her very own chunk of mulch by her. It didn’t look as if she’d chewed on it, so I guess she was just curious and brought it over to her spot. Maggie isn’t one to carry things around (except lizards or feathers from dead birds, LOL), so I’m always surprised when she does. She’s such an easy dog.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
March 25th, 2022 at 8:30 am · Link
Mother Nature is still drunk. Birds are noisy but yay Maggie lizards, paperwork done, groundbreaking, new chair (ALWAYS important) but desk shopping? Good luck! And Maggie is such a good girl! Okay, my five…
1. Pistol Pete, the orange feral who refuses to get involved with the cauldron (even though orange and black are such great Halloween colors) is all mad at me because I didn’t find him during the rain storm and cold front that hit at the beginning of the week. I did go out and call him but he didn’t answer. Now he just sits in the neighbor’s hard and meow-screams at me. Though he did make up to LG yesterday afternoon. Cats.
2. We only got Stormy one day this week. Turned out his mom’s Thursday deal was delayed so she picked him up on Thursday (yesterday) instead of us. Ah well. He was funny on Monday.
3. Did I mention Mother Nature is drunk again? Hot, cold, rain, tornadoes, cold, hot, and finally, normal. We had 80 degrees one day and freezing mist the next. My old bones don’t appreciate the shennanagans.
4. I’m an idiot. The kids gave us a Ring doorbell (front door) and a secondary “stick-up” camera for the garage for Christmas. Doorbell is wired. Camera is battery. Only suggested I get a second battery so that there’s always one charged and ready. I started to do that and then started looking for the charger. I couldn’t find it. Anywhere! So I ordered a charger with the new battery. Welpers, the battery doesn’t “need” a charger. It has a USB cord. 🤦🏼♀️ The charger does charge faster so I’ll keep it rather than repackaging and going through the hassle of returning it. Still, a total “old and blond” moment.
5. I finally have a daffodil! I almost always have at least one bloom on my birthday. This year–thanks, Mother Nature…NOT!–the clumps were barely visible, much less budding out. I finally saw one in the front island this week when I went out to get the mail. Such a simple thing makes me ridiculously happy.
Have a great weekend, all! 🥰
March 25th, 2022 at 2:37 pm · Link
1. Sorry it’s so hot but if the lizards are out and about I can see Maggie having a ball ☺.
2. With ground breaking and papers signed it must feel more “real” that you have bought and are building a brand new house!
3. Oh how nice! A new chair. Here’s to loving a new comfortable seat.
4. My computer has always been on a card table. (I wonder if we’re the only people that know what a card table is 🤣.) Are you going to sell the old office furniture after you find a new desk?
5. Maggie kept a souvenir from working in the yard. What a smart girl.
1a. It’s cold here. We’re supposed to get 3-4 inches of snow tomorrow.
2a. Middle has Covid. He took the test yesterday since he wasn’t feeling well. He says it’s like a bad cold with the feeling of being “off.” So much for him coming over tomorrow like he had planned. He will be staying home for a bit.
3a. Youngest just left to go look at another house. This is an old farm on 11 acres built in 1860. It needs work but could be a great find.
4a. Spunk’s vet is new to us but in the same practice. She is a CAT person. After 8 years of him having gastro issues she is running tests to make sure there isn’t something that we can treat and have him feeling better. Should have results by Monday.
5a. It being Friday during Lent and hub a Roman Catholic, I was going to make cod for dinner but he says he’d rather my grilled tuna sandwiches. I do agree, they are quite good and Spunk loves them. Honestly, I think that’s why hubs said he wanted the sandwich. He feels bad that I took Spunk in and he had so much done to him. Spunk loves tuna and the butter on the sandwiches 😊.
Sure hope you have a fantastic weekend!
March 25th, 2022 at 5:01 pm · Link
Silver, desk shopping is mostly online at this point. I found one set I could live with but Wizard not so much. Still nothing is critical so it’s not really a big deal. Now for you:
1) Pistol Pete sounds like he’s living up to his name, LOL! I love cat-i-tude. They really know how to make their feelings known. But if he’s forgiven LG, there’s still hope for you
2) At least you had one afternoon with Stormy.
3) I saw those tornados! That was crazy, and I’m thinking Mother Nature could use a stint in rehab because enough already. We don’t generally get that level of wild weather here (we’re all about fire and earthquakes), but a lot of the country is suffering along with your bones. (I’m getting cranky knees on the stairs from the weather switches but it’s not unbearable).
4) I’ll admit I laughed, but in my defense, I laughed because I’ve done stuff like that. I willing to bet that you don’t make that kind of mistake often so when you do it’s even more notable. And you’re not an idiot. Not even close.
5) Yay for your daffodil! I’m sure he or she tried to bloom for your birthday, but Mother Natures latest bender ruined it. But now you can enjoy the beauty! Simple things make me happy too, like the birds singing all day.
Have a great weekend!
March 25th, 2022 at 5:12 pm · Link
Viki, if it works out, we’ll try to sell the office furniture. It’s in good shape so I’d love for someone else to get use out of it. And yes, it does feel real on the house. I am fervently hoping it all works out. And LOL on card tables. Now for you:
1) Wow that’s late in the season for snow, isn’t it? Or maybe I just think that because it’s like 89 degrees here today and yesterday.
2) Poor Middle! Hope he feels better soon!
3) That could be an amazing find if he’s interesting in that kind of land. I am crossing my fingers for him!
4) Sounds like you found a great vet for Spunk. It could be he just has a sensitive digestive system, but it’s better to find out and reduces his distress if possible. I know Maggie’s done much better since we put her on the special diet to prevent bladder stones. It’s expensive but worth it to me.
5) I bet that’s why your hubs wanted the grilled tuna sandwiches too. And Spunk deserves a special treat!
Hope you have a great weekend!
March 26th, 2022 at 7:01 am · Link
Oops, I totally forgot to stop by until this morning. Sorry it’s been so hot for you, but yay for lizards for Maggie to chase. Yay for breaking ground and for your new chair! Good luck with the furniture thing. And yay for Maggie – just on general principles.
1) My new book is now published. It’s epic fantasy with YA characters, but I think it’ll be fun for adults, too. We’ll see how sales go.
2) I’m making progress on its sequel. I don’t usually jump right into sequels after I finish a book, but this one won’t leave me alone. That’s a good thing, right?
3) I actually won a poker tournament this week. First time ever for one of the bigger ones. I wish it had been real money.
4) It’s been pretty nice here weather-wise, but super windy. That makes it hard to walk because well, wind, and because I can’t hear cars coming up behind me. Derp.
5) Our favorite deer, Lumpy, is starting to get thick around the middle. We’re hoping for twins. No babies for her last year, but she still hangs out with her daughter from year before last, Sissy. Sissy’s twin, Sonny, is a buck, so he’s off with the other dudes. Maybe we’ll see him in the fall.
March 26th, 2022 at 11:07 am · Link
B.E., Maggie deserves a “yay” for putting up with us, LOL. She found a stick sized piece of mulch she carried around then started chewing on an we took it away from her. She has a sad. Luckily the lizards will be out soon and that will cheer her up. Now for you:
1) Congrats on getting your books published! After all that editing and proofing to make it beautiful, it’s showing off to the world! I think a lot of adults enjoy YA, I know I do.
2) I think it’s a great thing if you’re driven to write a sequel. The theory is that content is king, and faster content helps gain reader momentum. Go for it!
3) Congrats on the poker win, but I wish it’d been real money for you too. Still it’s fun to win!
4) It’s hard to walk in the wind. I don’t mind breezy but wind distorts sounds, so yeah, it can be dangerous. Since I walk a lot, I can relate to how much we rely on hearing for safety. And on a related subject if I’m stretching, I have to worry about electric cars which are quieter. But I only have that concern on the streets — not many electric cars in the field or around the construction site of our house. Thankfully the big construction equipment is loud so I can always hear those.
5) I’m so impressed that you can tell all the deer apart. I bet you grow attached to each one. Twins for Lumpy would be awesome for you guys to watch, not sure how Lumpy feels about it though
Hope you are having a great weekend!