Friday, April 28th, 2017
Happy Friday Five
Happy Friday! Let’s do Friday Five
- First the shocker–I’m switching to decaf coffee and cut out diet cokes. I’ve been working on it for a week and a half and no humans, animals or fictional characters have hurt in the process :-). By next week, I’ll 100% on decaf coffee (yes, I know decaf has some caffeine.) Are you impressed????
- So why am I getting mean about caffeine? Midway through May I’m having a routine procedure that begins with colon and ends with why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this-oscopy. Anyway, I can’t have coffee the day of the why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this procedure. People were frightened by this prospect. And by people I MEAN WIZARD THE BIG COWARD. (Love you Wizard, but admit it, you were scared, LOLOL!)
- So it turns out that I’m not indestructible. I’m blame Justice and Liza (from the Savaged Illusions Trilogy) for this. Writing Savaged Vows became an obsession and chained me to the computer! I saw my doctor yesterday for my shoulder/arm/neck pain. As soon as he walked into the room, he sat down and said, “So who did you punch?” I resisted the urge to confess that in the last month or two I’ve mentally punched at least four fictional characters because I don’t have time for a psyche evaluation right now…or ever. Instead I explained about deadlines, and begged for help getting back to being
an obsessive nut joba full time writer. The doctor was able feel spasms in the shoulder/arm/neck area and thinks I have a pinched nerve. The end result is I got a shot, some prescriptions and I’ll start physical therapy next week. But he didn’t ask for a psyche eval…so it’s all good!
- I’m really worrying about writing Savaged Devotion. Book 2 ended so powerfully, (as did book 1) and now the bar is so high…how am I going to surpass it? The answer is by ignoring the panic, keeping my butt in the chair and trusting my characters. Oh, did I mention I have to write this full length novel in two and a half months? Obviously this is the perfect time to deal with a shoulder problem, commit to physical therapy, do a colon-why-the-hell-am-I-doing-this-oscopy and give up caffeine. Bwhahahaha!!!
- I’m listening to the audiobook TAKE ME BACK by Meghan March and love it! It’s starts off as a straight romance about a couple who goes on vacation for 10 days to save their marriage. It’s emotional and sexy…and then it takes a turn into action and suspense and I love it! There were just enough hints in the beginning that it’s not completely out of the blue, but written so well that it’s a welcome twisty surprise.
That’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn to share five random things about your week.
April 28th, 2017 at 8:44 am · Link
Argh, no caffeine? I feel for you. But yeah, it’s probably better to wean yourself off now than quit cold next month. Fingers crossed that the solution to your ouchie shoulder works.
1) It’s been raining lions and wolfhounds lately. Bleh.
2) After a week of derailing things (cat, internet outage, power outage), I should probably try to get back on track so I have something non-sucktastic to send to my editor at the end of May.
3) Between the rain and the derailments, I’ve been reading a lot, which is good.
4) Hubs and I went out to eat during the power outage. It was the first time we’d been out to eat since last May. The food was okay, but nothing to write home about.
5) Partially warm ice cream glop isn’t as good as one might assume.
April 28th, 2017 at 9:10 am · Link
You’ll find the powerful ending, ugh on the pinched nerve but hopefully it will work itself out with meds and PT. I quit caffeine for awhile. I adjusted. Sort of. Now I don’t care. I developed migraines while off it. Yeah, not going there again! I wish you luck though! You can do it!!! *shakes pom poms* as to my Friday Five…
Well, as you know, LG was in a wreck (forced off the highway by a semi that no one got the license plate number to), avoided a derelict car left on the shoulder, and put his truck onto the right-of-way, and through a road-side sign, which luckily had breakaway poles, and while it put a hole in the hood, it did miss the windshield and thereby, LG. He didn’t roll the truck. Also a good thing. He reinjured the same shoulder he’s been dealing with. We find out today if the truck will be totaled out by insurance. It’s old, so likely it would cost more to fix than total. That leaves us scrambling for enough money to buy him something newer. Yippee.
I’m trudging my way through line edits. My head isn’t in the game and this makes me sad. I have more deadlines this year and I can’t afford to get burned out–especially with the likelihood of car payments. *sigh*
I have a crazy idea to write a series of serialized novels, releasing each episode for 99 cents about every two weeks (or so…maybe every week?) with a cast of characters though there will be one couple featured in each episode. The series will be about my mob Wolves (Moonstruck Mafia). It would mean writing the whole thing so it could be released in a timely fashion, and each episode would have “bonus” material like character photos and bios. Some of my fans are very enthusiastic. All it takes is time. *long sigh*
On a happier note, Baseball Boy’s high school team has a chance to go to the state tournament. Yay! (Cue pom poms)
I saw the first hummingbird at my feeder yesterday. Spring might be here–or not. Tomorrow’s high is forecast for the 50’s and the Panhandle is under a winter storm watch–which means freaking SNOW! We’re just getting cold rain, with a chance of areal flooding. Yippee. Somebody sure pissed off Mother Nature.
The good news is, this too shall pass–for all of us! Have a great weekend.
April 28th, 2017 at 1:07 pm · Link
B.E., no caffeine doesn’t make me happy either. Right now it’s even harder as I’m on steroids to calm the shoulder crap. But who knows, maybe I’ll adjust and be better off–it’s a good way to test the theory.
1) I saw your rain deluge on FB. Crazy!
2) It’s so much harder to concentrate when is forcing us to put out fires.
3) Reading is a good way to escape and mentally regroup. I’m doing it too when I can.
4) Why is it so hard to find good food? We’re always on the hunt for decent meals at reasonably prices restaurants.
5) Um…warm ice cream glop? **SHUDDER**
Hope you have a great weekend and the rain moves out!
April 28th, 2017 at 1:18 pm · Link
Silver, I hope so as I’m not happy with the one I put in my synopsis. It needs higher stakes that ties up three books.
I hear you on coffee/caffeine. I tend to “treat” headaches with caffeine which got me to this place. We’ll see what happens–I’m trying to keep an open mind.
Okay first thing–so glad that accident wasn’t worse!! OMG the road sign! I happen to know that you’re very aware of the “could haves.” But LG is okay–except that shoulder. Did he go to a doctor? I’m hoping he can get an MRI or CAT scan, isolate the root problem and find a solution.
All that said, you guys so didn’t need this right now! You’re under a lot of stress, so it’s not surprising you’re not into your line edits. You need a break but can’t take one, which increases your stress. I wish I lived closer to get you out for a couple hour break that we can both use.
LOVE the idea of the serial. I don’t know if you can fit it into your schedule. So maybe try to write four or five of them (or more) ahead and hold onto them before launching? Then you’re be anchored into the story and ahead of the game with a two or three months worth of product ready to go.
Yay for Baseball Boy’s HS team!
Hope Spring gets serious and warms up your weather! I’ts hot and windy here with Santa Ana conditions. Not happy about that.
Hope you guys have a great weekend and LG’s shoulder starts healing!
April 28th, 2017 at 3:45 pm · Link
No caffeine – aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. More power to you.
Good to know what’s wrong with your shoulder. I hope you heal quickly. What did you get injected with?
I refused to do the colonoscopy and had that “other” test instead. Waiting on results. Doc says with my having had breast cancer I have to be tested :(.
Silver – So sorry about LG and the truck. I’m glad he wasn’t hurt worse and I hope he can heal swiftly.
Hubs and I went to the zoo today and had fun. When we came home the freezer was leaking. Spent a couple hours working on it and expelling some very naughty words. Youngest was there and said, “Think you can say F*** some more?” I rattled off a string. Hope the darn thing is working okay now. We’ll see.
I hope every one has a nice weekend!
April 28th, 2017 at 7:10 pm · Link
Viki, well at least there’s decaf coffee And it’s not forever.
The doctor did a general cortisone injection (as opposed to a specific to the injury which is better in my opinion). And I’m on short term high doses of oral steroids I’m feeling a bit miserable but it’ll pass.
I’ve refused the colonoscopy until now too. Long story why I’m doing it, but we all expect it to come back fine.
The zoo sounds fun but that’s awful about your freezer! I hope it’s fixed. I cracked up at your F-bombs and your son’s reaction!!! Love that!!
Hope you guys have a great weekend!