Friday, November 10th, 2017
Happy Friday! It’s time to list five random things about your week. Here’s mine:
- I’m enjoying walking and playing with Maggie so much, I gave myself a wicked case of shin splints on my right leg It’s improving day by day exactly like shin splints does. Over the weekend, I was running barefoot with Maggie on cement in the backyard, and I definitely brought this on myself.
- Still talking about Maggie–I left her with Wizard again yesterday for a couple hours with no crying! Her separation anxiety is improving as her confidence grows. She’s definitely a submissive/timid girl, but she’s really blossoming. We’re all learning.
- I working and reworking the first few pages of Savaged Devotions as I mentally replot the whole book and timeline from my critique partner’s awesome suggestions. Normally I rewrite much faster, but the whole Real Life things keeps getting in the way. However, I’m once again finding myself thinking about the book in any free moment, and that’s both a huge relief, and exciting, at the same time. I had began to wonder where the magic of hearing characters in my head, and feeling the drive to write, had gone. For months, it was only flickers in radio silence. It was frustrating and scary. (Also scary is trying to get my RA meds approved by my new insurance when I’m already late, but I don’t want to dwell on that right now. I’m thinking positive as much as I can.)
- This story has haunted me since I saw it on the news Wednesday night. It’s about animal abuse, so feel free to skip this if you want. But I just can’t shake it off–some asshole poured boiling water in his girlfriend’s dog. That is pure evil and enrages me, and I know all of you feel the same. The one bright spot is that the poor little dog cried out for help–and two 17 year olds were his hero that day. I’m so proud of them! They heard him crying, videoed the jerk, and called the police. I’m really proud of those teenagers! (I can’t believe that asshole who did it is out on bail though.)
- This weekend I’m going to my niece’s wedding shower. That’ll be fun to see her, and all the family as well celebrate her upcoming marriage in January.
That’s my Friday Five, now it’s your turn! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
November 10th, 2017 at 7:04 am · Link
Hubs read me the dog abuse story yesterday morning. (We read each other news headlines in the morning.) Like you said the other day, sometimes people suck. Yay for Maggie, though! You saved her and are continuing to save her every day. And yay for the book talking to you again. It’ll be awesome. :hugs:
For my Friday Five:
1) Today’s bird of the day on my calendar is an Eastern Bluebird. And since it’s fall, we’re getting those in the yard again. They stop by for the water we leave out for the critters. Everyone stops at the water pan this time of year.
2) You saw it on Facebook, but I have to say it again – fox! We had a fox in our woods, just off the backyard yesterday. It was so beautiful. My pics didn’t do it justice. Big and healthy and fluffy. OMG. And if I hadn’t been looking out the window at just the right moment, I would’ve missed it entirely – especially since its coat blended so well with the fallen leaves.
3) I got to talk about books with people when I was out running errands. I love doing that. And I gave a copy of Wish in One Hand to this really nice, young gal who works at the building supply store. She was over the moon happy when I went back inside with it and signed it for her. She said it was her first signed book ever. =o)
4) Then I was at the grocery store (actual grocery store, not Wallyworld) and I let some guy skip ahead of me in line because all he had was a loaf of bread and I had a cart full. It wasn’t that big a deal, but he must’ve thanked me a dozen times. He either must’ve really needed that loaf of bread or he doesn’t encounter courtesy very often.
5) I’m thinking about writing again, too. Which is a good thing. Haven’t started the new book yet, but it’s pretty close. I just have to think of how it begins and get the ball rolling.
November 10th, 2017 at 9:28 am · Link
I just don’t understand people sometimes. Makes me wish for Old Testament punishments! So proud of the progress Maggie is making. And yeah, sometimes you have to step back from a book and reconsider. Which leads to my five:
1) Which is what I’m having to do with Tucker’s book. I’m trying to incorporate some of what I already had written but after the 1st three chapters, the book is way different from the direction I’d been taking it. Ah well.
2) The time change still has me all messed up. My body is too old for this sh-stuff.
3) I think the winter might be a bad one, despite the long-range forecast of a mild one. I looked out yesterday and I had TEN squirrels eating from the feeders. TEN!! And both dogs were out there napping in the sun totally oblivious.
4) The skunk is back. The darn thing is beautiful. I mean, seriously. And how icky is it that I think so? It’s all black and the fur is really soft and fluffy, the tail just a poof. The only white is an odd marking on the top of its head.
5) I’m frying up 40 lbs of hamburger today so putting the spaghetti sauce together for the Veterans Day luncheon tomorrow at the American Legion Post will be easy peasy. We’re going to feed 200 veterans. Fun times!
Have a great weekend, everyone!
November 10th, 2017 at 1:04 pm · Link
B.E, I know, that story is one of those that just won’t leave my mind. Maggie truly is a bright spot in our lives now. And thank you on the books. I just need life to slow down, today is another mad rush of random stuff. Now for you!
1) Your yard is the go-to place for all the animals
2) I saw it on my phone and enlarged it–awesome! I’m going to go back and look on my bigger desktop scree too.
3) Yay you have a new fan! It’s always fun to talk books!
4) That was nice of you to let him go ahead of you. I do it too.
5) Sounds like you’re ready to write!
I hope you have a great weekend!
November 10th, 2017 at 1:11 pm · Link
Silver, I have my moments of wishing the same. Torturing an animal is a key sign of evil in my mind. And thanks on Maggie and the book.
1) This abrupt shifts happen when characters take over. I hope you can merge it all and not lose too much of what you’ve written.
2) I just hate it being dark so damned early :-(.
3) Hope the winter isn’t too bad, and 10 squirrels??? Sheesh they must have spread the word. And your dogs…LOL!
4) I thinks skunks are beautiful too. I used to see one at college every night for a week or two when I walked to my car. I gave him space (obviously) but he was pretty to look at. Hope your dogs stay away from him or her!
5) You. Are. Awesome!! for making that dinner. The veterans will really appreciate it. Hope you have a great time!
Enjoy your weekend, especially the V-Day luncheon, and hope the book shapes up!
November 10th, 2017 at 3:49 pm · Link
1. You need to take care of yourself. Playing with Maggie is all good but don’t get hurt anymore.
2. Maggie sure has come a long way. It looks like she may have found her forever home ;).
3. Good to know that the characters are back to letting their voices be heard :). Again – Take care of yourself and don’t let them drop the ball on getting your meds approved.
4. Won’t read it.
5. Have a really fun time at the shower. It’s so much fun to what the young ones begin the biggest chapter of their lives.
1a. We have cold and snow :). I love it.
2a. Went to the Capital Grille for our anniversary dinner last night. It was wonderful. They have the best lobster bisque – YUM!
3a. Hubs and youngest went over to Harrison’s to help pick up carpet. Youngest has the pick-up. Cassie informed them that only grandparents are allowed to hold the baby. They are too much.
4a. Tomorrow is Veterans Day. Big with our family. So many places are honoring the vets and active service members this year with free stuff. Hubs wants to go to this local place for his free meal tomorrow night. It was very hard to get a table.
5a. Going out for coffee in the morning with my girlfriend. Haven’t done that in several weeks. Looking forward to it.
Have a really wonderful weekend.
November 10th, 2017 at 9:21 pm · Link
Viki, thank you, I’m trying to take care of myself. The health insurance thing is frustrating but I have to be patient. I knew this would happen with my meds. Maggie is doing good overall. And I seriously don’t blame you for not reading the article. That’s why I warned everyone. Now onto you:
1) Snow! Glad you like it!
2) Happy Anniversary and so happy you had a wonderful dinner!
3) Only grandparents???? LOLOL! Yeah, that’s a little extreme. Hopefully everyone relaxes soon.
4) It’s wonderful how many places honor vets. Hope your hubs gets his wish.
5) Have fun at coffee with your girlfriend! (is this the one that hubby likes to hang out with too?)
Hope you have a great weekend!
November 12th, 2017 at 3:05 pm · Link
Jenn – Yes, this is the girlfriend hubs likes to hang out with too. Because it was Veterans Day, all Vets and active duty military got free bagels. The guys were all so funny enjoying the treat. Would be nice if we all could honor them with a small token each and every day.
I hope your weekend has been a good one :).
November 12th, 2017 at 9:30 pm · Link
Viki, I love that!! They deserve to enjoy free bagels