I hope everyone in the Florence’s path is okay! That hurricane/storm is looking very serious. If you are able to stop by, it’s Friday and that means it’s time to list five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I got my nails done for the first time in months yesterday. Only a family wedding would inspire me to do this as it’s uncomfortable for me to sit in that position. But on the upside, Baby Slayer and his parents are coming over to go with us to the wedding, and they’ll stay the night here again!
- The spin cycle on my washing machine is acting up. I can use it, I just have to fight with it about 40% of the time to get it to spin. We decided that rather than having it fixed, we’d invest in a new set. This should be easy, right? Bwhahaha! The biggest problem is that we have a smallish laundry room so when we find a set with the features we like, it’s too big. I’ve already paired my desired features down to the bare bones, things like a top loading washer with a laundry softener dispenser (Why would they sell them without one????), and a gas dryer with a door that opens down rather than swings to the side due to space limitations. That’s about it. We found one set online that hit the boxes, I tried ordering it–and it’s on backorder. Why does something so simple turn into a major pain-in-the-butt that eats up hours and hours of our time? I may rethink having my washing machine fixed and hope it hangs in there for a while.
- The other day, I came out of the doctor’s office to find a twenty something man trying to open my car door and looking perplexed. He noticed me and said, “Oh, is this your car?” I nodded, and he grinned sheepishly, “I thought it was mine. Sorry.” Then he walked one row over, waved at me and got in a Toyota Camry that looked exactly like mine. I cracked up in relief–for once it wasn’t me publicly embarrassing myself, and my second thought, of course, was that’s a great Meet Cute scenario for a romantic comedy if I amped it up a little bit
- So after seeing two surgeons, and the follow-up consultation with the second one, I’ve decided to have the two level ACD&F surgery. It’s a pretty dramatic surgery, and it was not an easy decision. But I’ve done everything else, so it’s the only chance I have at improved quality of life. If I don’t do anything, the chances for things to get worse are pretty high. Now that I’ve decided, I’d like to get it done this year and move on. Also, I’m going to go into this with a positive attitude and confidence that it will be successful and I’ll have a full recovery.
- I think I’m going stop even trying to write, at least through this weekend. Then I’m going to re-evaluate where I am in the book, and in my head, to see if I can find a way to draft the rest of the book before I have surgery. Trust me, I’m the one who’s gotten in my own way on this. Yes the pain and physical limitations are some of it, but I’ve also written an easy six or seven hundred pages (sadly, I’m not exaggerating but I’m trying to be honest), then I keep deleting scenes because nothing is good enough. This is a classic case of getting in my own way!
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear five things about your week! I hope everyone has a safe, good weekend!
September 14th, 2018 at 5:54 am · Link
I have a niece who ended up under mandatory evac up in Virginia, so her and her family packed up and headed to PA. I hope everyone else who had an opportunity to get out of the way did so. Scary stuff.
Yay for pretty nails! Boo for backorder. Heh, I’ve never gotten quite that far, but I have walked up to other people’s cars thinking they were mine. I know the surgery was a hard decision, but good for you for making it. All positive thoughts winging your way now and when you have it. :hugs: Setting the book aside sounds like a good idea right now. You’ll get there. And yes, you need to get out of your own way.
1) I, too, have a small space that requires a front loading washing machine and a downward opening dryer. We went with Kenmore. Of course, the washer broke, but Hubs got it running again. Now it sounds like a jet taking off during the spin cycle.
2) It’s interesting that the set you want is on backorder. It means those are what the consumers want, but they keep foisting those other ones on us. Front loading? Bleh.
3) I got into an interesting book discussion yesterday at my local smoke shop. The general consensus among the employees I spoke with was hardcopy over ebook. I gave them many wonderful benefits of ebooks in addition to hardcopy. I think I swayed one of them. Which would be good because then she can start buying my ebooks. =o)
4) I fell off the exercise wagon this week. Need to rectify that.
5) A couple days ago, I took a container of chili out of the freezer to defrost. When I went to heat it up for dinner last night, I discovered it was spaghetti sauce. Oops. Luckily, we rolled with it and had spaghetti instead. But what a derp moment.
September 14th, 2018 at 10:30 am · Link
I’m a sucker for pedicures but don’t worry much about my nails. Yeah. weird. Backorders are a pain but FYI, I LOVE my front loading set, even if they’d probably be too big for you. Have you considered a stacked set? Meet cute for the win! Surgery is never an easy decision. You’ll do great! Have you considered dictation (like Dragonspeak) as an interim solution–especially during the healing process? And yes, get out of your own way! I think life has you so flummoxed that it’s translating into this book. *BIG hugs* Okay, my five:
1) Speaking of broken appliances, the dishes in the top rack of my dishwasher aren’t getting clean. Bottom rack seems fine. My next stop is the internet to see if it’s something we might be able to fix.
2) And with the house stuff continuing, one of the outside faucets has developed a slow leak. Again. Not looking forward to mentioning it to LG. He’s had a bunch of stuff going on too.
3) Considering there’s a hurricane and the opening seens of the next RDR book involve a hurricane, you’d think I’d be all over revising the proposal. Nope. I’m having a really hard time with what the editor wants. It’s just not practical in real life/situational terms and people with any experience will know it’s wrong. *sigh*
4) In positive writing news, I think I’ve figured out plot twists neessary to the story in the other two WIPs I’ve got going. Just wish I was in the head space to write. *sigh* I’m so lazy!
5) It’s Friday. The sun is shining, I have coffee, good friends, sleeping animals, and I’m going to smile through the day. Or else!
Those in the path of Florence, be safe! B.E., you can have chili tonight.
September 14th, 2018 at 12:54 pm · Link
B.E., I’m glad your niece and her family got out! Hope her home is ok. The amount of rain is unreal. Authorities have already rescued a lot of people. Thanks on all, with a decision in place, I’m moving forward which feels better. Now let’s talk about you!
1) Ugh, sorry your Kenmore broke, but yay for Hubs getting it running again! I hate that spin cycle racket.
2) Exactly on the backorder! I think the open down dryer makes more sense in general, but that’s just me.
3) YES!!! She should try reading YOUR digital book! I’m reading SLEEPING UGLY now along with a nonfiction book I’m also reading.
4) One week off the exercise wagon isn’t a big deal. One walk and your right back on!
5) LOLOL on the chilli/spaghetti sauce mix up! At least you had spaghetti noodles on hand so it was an easy fix. I’ve done stuff like that. The only thing that saves me is I usually label everything in my freezer so Wizard can figure it out if I’m not home. Enjoy the chili this weekend!
September 14th, 2018 at 1:13 pm · Link
Silver, I’m glad you love your front loading, but you’re right, they are too big for my laundry room. Stackable won’t work either. The good news is I don’t have to have it this second, and I think the washer can be fixed, it’s just annoying in general. I have considered Dragon Diction but I need to wait and see with this surgery, there’s a small risk to my voice. But let’s move onto you!
1) Hmm, that’s an interesting problems with your dishwash. Is there and arm thingie on the top? Wizard fixes everything with the help of YouTube videos, which I’m sure you’ve done too!
2) Well shoot. I’ve been in your position, leaks are not good but neither is stressing our husbands when they have a lot on on their plate.
3) That’s a rough dilemma Silver. I’m assuming you had that conversation with your editor and they want the change anyway. And then you’re stuck unless you replot that specific point in a way that satisfies you both? that’s not always possible though. If I can help, let me know.
4) Yay on the plot twists. I wish I could give you sage advice on the head space or than, Just Do It.
5) Great attitude!! That’s exactly what I’m doing But I really hope things get better for you, and you wake up with the drive to write each day!
September 14th, 2018 at 3:12 pm · Link
1. Glad you got your nails done for the wedding. I agree with you on how uncomfortable it is sitting while they are being done. Baby Slayer!!!!
2. That stinks about the spin cycle. Not having a washer is so hard. Isn’t it crazy how difficult it is to getting something that isn’t super high tech? I hope you get what you want.
3. That is so funny about your car. I did something similar 15+ yrs ago. I used my fob to unlock the hatch on my JEEP after grocery shopping. Only problem was it wasn’t my JEEP yet the fob unlocked the vehicle.
4. When you have a chance could you explain the surgery to us? I will pray hard that this fixes your pain.
5. Smart not writing. Take a break for the weekend.
1a. It’s hot and humid again – yuck!
2a. Praying for all those in the path of Florence and her rain/winds/surge.
3a. Pizza night – YUM! And wine ;).
4a. Trying a brand new place for dinner tomorrow. It just opened 2 weeks ago right in the next village.
5a. Hubs wants me to consider a new car and him taking mine. I am thinking about it but not pushing it.
Have a wonderful time this weekend
September 14th, 2018 at 7:09 pm · Link
Viki, so true on high tech! Who cares if I can sync it up to my phone, it’s a washing machine, LOL! Now that is scary that your key fob opened another JEEP. I’d be rather freaked about that. I can explain the surgery, but do you think people really want to know? I don’t want to gross anyone out. I’m happy to share if people want to know. Okay let’s change the subject to you!
1) I’m with you on the humidity. Wizard and i were talking about moving to Florida (not real serious) but the humidity (and alligators, hurricanes and bugs)!!
2) I’ve heard five deaths so far from the storm. So heartbreaking.
3) Pizza is one of Wizard’s all time favorites.
4) I’m hope the new restaurant for dinner becomes a new go-to!!
5) Take the new car!! Not sure why Hubs wants yours but it sounds like a win-win!
I’d love to hear about the new restaurant on Monday. We just don’t have much around us so I have to live vicariously. Have a good weekend!