Friday, December 7th, 2018
Friday Five, Late Edition
Hi all!! Wow this whole year has been a whirlwind! But now it’s time to share five things about our week. Here’s mine:
- We made it through another rainstorm. There were mandatory evacuations up to one street over from us, but we were okay. Although between about 1pm and 4pm it was a little scary. The elementary school one street over let out early due to possible flooding and mudslides. The street that separates our street from the burned hills was briefly closed while tractors cleared away mud and debris that came down. But otherwise we came through it. It looks like it might me a rainy year in So Cal so this is our new reality for a while. And we desperately need the rain.
- YIKES this year has been a roller coaster. Wizard and I are tired. But next year, we are going to plan a real vacation with just the two of us, and no work, as long as I heal enough to fly. And if I don’t, then we’ll take a closer to home vacation. That goal pushes us to keep going!
- Baby Slayer is awesome! Here he is at 8 1/2 months old and practicing to be a cover model–I think he nailed it He’s not walking yet, but he stands and cruises along furniture.
- Wizard picked out a movie for us to watch last night after a stressful day. So naturally during the move Oldest Son called, then Middle Son called, then my brother called. LOLOL! Poor Wizard. He was so proud of finding a fun movie for us to decompress. I usually don’t get a lot of calls at night, but people were checking up, and we both appreciate that. The good news is that while I talked, Wizard played on his phone–the smartphone that he now LOVES.
- Today is bright, sunny, beautiful day! Biker Witch is coming over to get me out of the house. It should be a good day…unless we get into trouble. It’s been known to happen, LOL!
That’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
December 7th, 2018 at 3:49 pm · Link
BABY SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!! *dies from the cute* He is so precious and yeah, totally nailed it! Glad y’all were spared an evac. Mudslides are freaking scary but you do need the rain. Awful way to mix blessings. Hope you and Biker Witch are having a ball and hopefully, you and Wiz can watch that movie another time when fewer interruptions. Okay, my five:
1) The Only has a habit of calling me when she’s driving home from work and bored. Jolly Green Giant has started yelling conversations to me from his car seat in the back seat. I get to listen to my daughter and grandson argue over who is going to talk to me. I put the phone on speaker and just keep working.
2) I should have gotten the outside lights up while the weather was warm. I procrastinated. Now it’s frigid outside. Oops.
3) I did get the Christmas wreath on the door this week. That counts, right? And the tree is up. (Of course, it never came down from last year…)
4) I bought a small pet bed on sale at Wallyworld because Adidas has been curling up in front of the air vent that runs under the bathroom cabinet and I wanted her to be comfy. Now I never see (or hear!) her unless it’s 5:30 in the morning and she’s decided it’s time for me to feed her.
5) Every time I open my pantry door, I want to do one of those cutely organized pantry makeovers. Then I remember that I’ll have to clean out the pantry to do so. The last time I dug around on an upper shelf, I found stuff that was almost as old as Only. Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.
Have a great weekend, everyone! And take care of yourself, Jen.
December 7th, 2018 at 4:16 pm · Link
1. Thought about you and the rain. This morning on GMA they were in Lake Elsinore. Thank heaven you’re all safe.
2. Yes! You two deserve a vacation as soon as you can travel.
3. Baby Slayer is a cover model – SO cute!
4. When it rains it pours with phone calls ;).
5. Hope you had a great time with Biker Witch.
1a. It was cold and snowy most of the day but it’s supposed to be sunny for the next few days. Makes it nice :).
2a. Middle boy is now 30. Man, I got old
3a. Youngest is taking me to NY tomorrow to see my mom and step dad :).
4a. Christmas shopping – yikes! Even with point and click I’m behind.
5a. I need a hair cut. I’m at that stage where it just hangs. It needs shape but I don’t see Cass for another 2 weeks. She planned it this way so my hair would be nice for Christmas. Guess I better get out the ponytail holders ;).
Have a wonderful weekend!
December 7th, 2018 at 5:29 pm · Link
Silver, Yes mudslides are scary but fire terrified me more, and you’re so right, CA needs the rain. Now for you:
1) Oldest calls me on his way home from work too! But that’s pretty funny about JGG–of course he wants to talk to him Grandma! I’m going to start putting Oldest on speaker too, good idea!
2) Yep that’s an oops since it’s painful and a little dangerous to put up lights when it’s frigid cold.
3) Getting a wreath on the door counts, and having your tree already up just means you’re smart! No need to mention the other part Besides, they leave the tree up year round in my doctor’s office and just decorate it for whatever they’re celebrating–Valentines Day, Halloween, etc. They get their money’s worth from that tree!
4) Adias much love that bed! And clearly there will be no sleeping in for you.
5) I’m not too afraid of your pantry Before she was my daughter in law, one of the girls found spices in my spice drawer that probably matched the age of your top shelf pantry items. I tried to convince her those were Classic Spices but she’s too smart for that, LOL! And those makeover shows are fun to watch, but not realistic to everyday living. I’d never transfer my food items to all those containers.
I hope you guys have a great weekend! Stay warm!
December 7th, 2018 at 5:44 pm · Link
Viki, hard to believe our little town made national news, although it explains why so many people call and text. I’m very grateful they’ve worked hard to direct the water and debris flows as much as is possible. Thank you for thinking of us! Baby Slayers and a Hawaii vacation has been keep us motivated. Okay now for you:
1) After cold and rain or snow, we can really appreciate the sunny days! It’s been pretty cold here, which makes me think of those of you who deal with Real Weather and Snow! You guys are tougher than I am
2) I hear you on Middle turning 30. My two older ones have passed that, and next year it’s my youngests turn. I feel really old!
3) I hope you and Youngest have a wonderful trip to NY to see your mom and step dad! Also, youngest is awesome to take you, and to see them! It’s going to make them so happy.
4) Wouldn’t it be nice if we magically knew what everyone wanted and could find that special gift effortlessly? I hope you get caught up soon! We are trying to simplify a bit this year, but it’s always a mad scramble at some point.
5) Cassie wants you to look beautiful for Christmas! But I know how you feel. Two more weeks seems like a long time when we aren’t happy with our hair.
Hope you guys have a great weekend and you can make a dent in Christmas shopping–even the point and click kind!
December 7th, 2018 at 6:28 pm · Link
Baby Slayer!! Heart-breaker already. Man, you have had a wild year. Fingers crossed the rest of it is easier on you. Bummer about the movie interruptions. Yay for Biker Witch!
I’m not sure I can come up with 5, but here goes…
1) The winter storm ‘event’ they were predicting all week looks like it’s going to be a non-event.
2) I got to play in the woods a bit today. Got one dead tree moved to the wood pile. Pushed another one over that I’ll get to next time.
3) Spent the day getting a jump on next year’s spreadsheets. Which could’ve waited and was more procrastination on the edits than anything.
4) Most of the rest of the week is a blur. I did stuff preparing for the ‘storm’, and some editing, but mostly I sat on my butt and read.
5) The Kid called and we had a nice chat. She’s trying to be better about calling more often than once a month… err, six weeks… but she’s busy doing her own things, so it doesn’t bug me. Much. ;o)
December 8th, 2018 at 1:49 pm · Link
B.E, thank you on Baby Slayer! The ride has been wild, but in a lot of ways, we’ve been very fortunate. Moving onto your five:
1) Well I guess it’s better to be prepared and have a non-event, than be caught in a big storm without prep.
2) Those dead trees in the woods are no match for you!
3) Procrastination is often how I get other things done, LOL. And it probably feels good to get a jump on the 2019 spreadsheets.
4) Reading is important market research
5) Yeah, I can see how that niggles, and yet it’s good that she’s doing well on her own too. All three of my boys are very different about the level of communication. One I talk to several times a week, the second one just depends what’s going on, but he picks up instantly or call back within an hour if we call, and third one is in black ops…okay, I’m exaggerating. The third one is awesome if we need him, but he’s not known for being chatty, or checking in.
You rocked the assignment and came up with 5 Hope you’re having a great weekend!