Friday, December 14th, 2018
TGIF! Time to list 5 random things about our week:
- Yesterday was six weeks since my surgery. I’m doing better. Irritated as heck by my limitations, the brace and normal soreness. I’m supposed to wear this brace for 3 months, then we’ll do another x-ray and see if I’m showing any signs of bone growth (called fusing). However, I can start taking breaks from the brace when I’m not doing physical things as long as I don’t bend my neck more than 25%, so that helps. Sleep isn’t always easy in the soft brace, but better than having to sleep in the hard brace! It’s going to take time though, and I’ll do all I can to heal and get back to life in full swing! And writing!
- Wizard and I made four batches of bread yesterday, with a 50% success rate due to my screw up. The 2 batches of zucchini bread appears to have come out fine, but the pumpkin came out like wet bricks. I realized just as we finished mixing up the 2nd batch that I’d put in DOUBLE THE PUMPKIN. I was measuring all the ingredients obsessively because I’m prone to mistakes right now and yet, I did the stupidest mistake of all. It was a total lightbulb moment as I put in the pumpkin realized I was holding a 30 oz can not a 15 oz can. Holy Bumbling Moron at your service! I knew exactly the amount I needed, so why I bought the bigger can and never realized the error is an irritating mystery that I can’t blame on anyone but myself. But then again, no one was hurt, and in the big scheme of life, who really cares? Somehow the sun will rise tomorrow despite my making a mistake and tossing out the pumpkin bread.
- We got a Christmas card from very sweet couple who did the premarital counseling required by the church we got married in. Way back then, they taught us the key to marriage is “The Three C’s; communicate, communicate, communicate.” At the time, both Wizard and I thought they were very nice, but we didn’t appreciate their wisdom. We were young and knew it all, LOL! Decades later, we get it and appreciate their advice so much more. Every year, we look forward to their Christmas card, letting us know they are still well and practicing The Three C’s
- Oldest son called, and in the conversation said, “Mom can you help me cheat?” I replied, “Of course, after all I raised you to be a cheater.” He wants me to help him cheat in a cookie contest, and I’m thinking about it–even getting Wizard in on the scheme. I might just do it! In case you’re wondering, no one at his office will believe he made the cookies, and I’m pretty sure my other son who works there will rat him out in a hot second. Oldest is awesome at his job, but not in the kitchen. That’s why it’s funny. If Wizard helps, we’d have a great time and then he’d ferry the cookies to Oldest for him to try to pull this off caper. (If anyone seriously thinks I raised my kids to be cheaters, please look up sarcasm. Yes I’d make the cookies, but only because this is fun cheating, not hurting someone cheating.)
- We have a Christmas party for Wizard’s side of the family on Saturday. I’m so looking forward to getting out and seeing his family!
Now it’s your turn to list your five things! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
December 14th, 2018 at 8:21 am · Link
ROFL… you cookie cheater you. Of course, really cheating would be buying the cookies. Someone is making the cookies, damn it. ;o) Six weeks? Man, it doesn’t seem like that long ago, but I know it probably feels like six years to you with the brace. Keep chugging along and the time will pass. :hugs: LOL about the bread. I’m guessing you thought about doing a double batch and then only doubled the pumpkin. Too bad you threw it out. I bet it would’ve been good with ice cream.
1) I currently have edit brain.
3) Do avoid editing yesterday morning, I made cookies.
4) Then I made chili.
5) Then I had no excuse and got to work. At it for at least four hours yesterday. I’ve already been at it for an hour this morning. And now I should get back to it. Ugh.
December 14th, 2018 at 9:43 am · Link
I plead the fifth on the whole cookie cheat thing. I’ve NEVER done such a thing for Only. Time is flying but like B.E. said, probably feels like 6 months rather than weeks. I don’t know how you sleep at all. I’d be bonkers. And yeah, you were probably thinking of doubling the recipe. That would be my story! Okay, my five:
1) I have JGG today. He threw up at day care yesterday. I’m lucky to be on the computer at all.
2) I got the outside Christmas lights up before the cold, wet, windy weather hit. I’ll get JGG’s “help” today with the mantel and dining room table. Then I’m done.
3) Romance chapter Christmas party is tomorrow. I need to dig out a book for our version of Dirty Santa.
4) I fixed French onion soup–complete with melted provolone and croutons–for dinner last night. We topped them off with a bologna and pepperjack cheese sandwich for LG and a bacon and sharp cheddar grilled cheese for me. It’s the simple things in life.
5) I was totally screwed up this week when it came to days. Tuesday was Wednesday. Thursday was Wednesday. Wednesday must have been an important day. LOL Thankfully, it is now Friday.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
December 14th, 2018 at 4:07 pm · Link
1. Sounds like you’re healing on track. Don’t over do it.
2. Yum bread. Bummer on pumpkin bread.
3. We got the same talk when we got married ;).
4. I think you helped him cheat once before :). That’s what mom’s do.
5. Have a great time at the party.
1a. FINALLY finished the Christmas cards!
2. It’s 55F. Too strange for December.
3. Found an old friend from my early teens on FB. It’s been nice catching up since we haven’t seen/spoken in over 40 years.
4. All shopping is done and only waiting on one gift to arrive. Then the wrapping. I feel by pain already :(.
5. Hubs broke our rabbit wine bottle opener. Now I have no wine :(. Maybe I’ll have to drink bourbon and nog ;).
Have a wonderful weekend!
December 14th, 2018 at 5:21 pm · Link
B.E., I’m most amused at the way he asked me to help him cheat, LOL! Time has passed fairly quickly, so I can’t complain too much. Okay now for you:
1) Edit brain is pretty serious.
2) See #1
3) Cookies are known to reduce the severity of edit brain.
4) Chili is a good excuse for cornbread
5) Lot of editing going on there in your lair!
I hope you have a great weekend!
December 14th, 2018 at 5:29 pm · Link
Silver, I’ve slept better than I expected after the first couple nights so it could have been worse. I really just had a brain dead moment on the pumpkin–and I’ve been off pain pills for weeks. I have no excuse. Okay now for you 5:
1) I hope JGG is feeling better today! I also hope you’re not too tired
2) Yay on getting the outside lights up, and I’m assuming you and JGG finished the inside. You’re all done!
3) Sounds like you guys have a fun chapter Christmas party!
4) I love French Onion Soup and rarely get it. It sounds like a great dinner!
5) And now Friday is nearly over!
Hope you have a great time at your chapter party tomorrow!
December 14th, 2018 at 5:35 pm · Link
Viki, I think I might have helped him cheat before too. I seem to have a pattern! Now for your 5:
1) Christmas cards are a lot of work. Glad you conquered that chore!
2) 55 is cold here, but yeah, strange for you guys.
3) That’s the fun upside of FB!! I’m so glad you reconnected with an old friend!
4) You’re amazing to be almost done. I’m getting closer, but I’m doing less since I rarely drive right now. I’m assuming the wrapping really hurts your shoulder and arm? We really need elves!
5) YIKES!! You need a new wine opened ASAP!
I hope you guys have a great weekend!