Friday, February 22nd, 2019
Well that was another fast week! So youngest (BLB) called last night to chat, and now I’m writing this blog in a rush. It’s all his fault Here’s my Friday Five!
- It’s snowing in some parts of our town. We’re hoping it snows here sometime during (last) night!
- I went to the gym for the first time this week. I’m barely sore and mostly in my calves. Of course, Wizard went with me to make sure I didn’t do anything stupid I was grateful for his help because it’s all new equipment at the gym since the last time I was there, and I plan to go with him a few more times before I do it on my own.
- I’ve been writing, but progress is elusive since I keep reorganizing to find the right pacing. But as Wizard points out, I can write again for a few hours without pain, so that’s a win.
- I made a new recipe last night: Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Wizard ate it all, and said he liked it, although it was a bit spicy for him. I liked it too.
- This weekend I’m babysitting my grandson Turbo for a couple of hours! Wizard is going racing with Middle Son, so Middle Son’s wife (I must come up with a name for her, she’s our family chef, wine connoisseur and volunteers at a pet rescue–there’s so much to choose from!) is coming over to help with the Turbo Machine. We’ll have fun together with Turbo! I’m so looking forward to that.
That’s my quick FF, now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
February 22nd, 2019 at 6:11 am · Link
Ooo, I hope you get some snow. That’ll be fun for you. Yay for the getting back into the swing of some things, like the gym! Wizard’s right – you’re writing again which is totally awesome. Yay for new recipes! And Super Yay for Turbo!! MSW totally needs a name of her own. But I got nuthin’ this morning.
1) I made homemade pizza again last night. Kneading is not for the weak of write, lemme tell ya. And the recipe says do it for 10 minutes! I did it until I couldn’t anymore and called it good. Hubs declared the crust a winner, so yay.
2) I also made cake cookies yesterday. Yellow cake with loads of chocolate chips. That stuff is almost too easy.
3) Time to do the taxes. Ugh.
4) It’s nice to feel human again after the cold from hell.
5) I can’t believe it’s the end of February. Where did this month go? Whoosh, right out the door.
February 22nd, 2019 at 6:12 am · Link
Argh. Weak of WRIST. I have writing on the brain.
February 22nd, 2019 at 12:03 pm · Link
Yay for all the good news from your side, Jen! How about “Supergirl” for Middle’s missus? She sounds like she’s got it all going on! Here’s my five:
1) I caught B.E.s cold (or flu) from hell. I came down with it Wednesday night. It was so bad I didn’t have one drop of coffee yesterday. Better today but only slightly. I’m headed back to bed.
2) Contest stuffs have been “put to bed.” Finally. I have hopes of hitting the writing ground running once I stop hacking up a lung.
3) I’ve lost weight. Thanks to the crud but hey…
4) We sort of got snow one day–just enough to cover the ground and shut down the schools. Of course, it was 65 the day before. Gotta love the weather here. Sure keeps things interesting.
5) I need a receipe for soft and chewy sugar-free oatmeal cookies. I used stevia in my mother’s recipe. They taste all right but go hard no matter how closely I watch them in the oven to take them out the moment the center is done. I’ll get right on that. Soonish. Back to bed now.
Have a good weekend, everyone!
February 22nd, 2019 at 1:56 pm · Link
B.E. we got snow just above us, and we could see snow/icy rain falling, but it was water when it hit the ground. But the hills around us are so pretty! Turbo is so fun at this age. And yep, she’s needs a name and I haven’t come up with one that’s short enough and feels right. Okay now for you!
1) Yay for your pizza dough, but it makes my neck hurt just thinking of kneading. It’s truly hard work! Weak of Write was funny, but I figured out what you meant. And I am Queen of Typos!
2) I saw a lot of cake mix cookies when I was looking up non-diary for BLB. I found a couple I want to try at some point.
3) Taxes Ours are done only because Wizard is an accountant and on top of that every year. if it were up to me, I’d be right there with you suffering.
4) So happy to hear you’re feeling 100% again. I see below that Silver has it now and all my sympathy moved to her. Colds suck, and this one sounds particularly bad. Be sure to not to overdo and relapse.
5) I heard the whoosh too as February is speeding by.
I hope you have a great weekend!
February 22nd, 2019 at 2:10 pm · Link
Silver, Supergirl is better than I’ve come up with, but I’m still mulling. Okay now for your five:
1) UGh!!! I’m so sorry you caught the crud, whatever it is. I’m thinking flu if you didn’t even drink coffee (unless you were substituting tea). Please rest! You don’t want this to turn into something even worse.
2) Yay for getting contest stuff done. But hacking up a lung means you need rest, rest, fluids, and more rest. Yes I’m repeating myself.
3) Not the way any of us wants to lose weight. But we’ll count it as a positive
4) The weather is keeping all of us on our toes! I’m sure the kids loved a no school snow day. Parents…not so much.
5) One trick you can try is refrigerate the dough first, then roll it into balls, and that should bake slightly crispy edges with softer centers. But if you’re replacing the fat (butter or shortening) with something like applesauce, it’s tougher to get the soft centers. Diabetic cookies are tricky. I’d have to experiment to get a good one with soft center. I’d definitely try refrigerating the dough and slightly underbaked, as long as the edges are lightly browned, don’t worry about soft centers, they should set up. I know you didn’t really ask…I got carried away, LOL!
Rest and I hope you feel better soon, and that LG doesn’t get sick!
February 22nd, 2019 at 3:58 pm · Link
1. They showed Lake Elsinore pushing snow on the news this morning and I thought of you. Too bad you didn’t really get any of the white stuff.
2. That’s good to keep Wizard with you at the gym for a while until your back up to form :). Bet it felt great.
3. Glad you’re writing again even if it is slow at the moment. It will pick up when it’s ready ;).
4. That chicken sounds good. I’ve never used a slow cooker ;).
5. Have fun with Turbo. You certainly do have a lot to work with in picking a name for MDIL :). Can’t wait to find out what name you pick :).
1a. Cassie got really sick and Hubs had to watch Harrison for 8 hours while she was at the hospital. He agrees, he never worked that hard in his entire life. I think he’s gaining some new respect for us mom ;).
2a. I was at the market the other day and a man was buy 10#’s of pickling cucumbers. I said he must be making pickle and he said yes and then invited me to sample them. He carries jars in his truck. It’s his thing to make pickle and give them away. Well – YUM! He gave me the recipe :).
3a. Have to make Spunk’s doctor appointment for the first week in March. He will hate me for a few hours :(.
4a. We’re supposed to get big rain and high winds Saturday night from the system you had with snow. I love the sound of high winds. Growing up right on a Great Lake did that to me :).
5a. Nothing big going on this weekend and I’m glad :).
Have a great weekend and tons of fun with Turbo :)!
February 22nd, 2019 at 10:03 pm · Link
Viki, the snow made all the hills pretty, but didn’t hit the ground here in our neighborhood. I didn’t go back to the gym today just so I wouldn’t somehow end up too sore Sunday to play with Turbo–it’s all about priorities, LOL!
Okay now for you:
1) I hope Cassie is okay. And LOL on hubs, yeah nothing like having 8 hours straight with a toddler to wear anyone out!
2) Okay that’s too cute with the man and his pickles in the grocery store. Also you’re way more trusting than I am! But it paid off in pickles for you
3) Spunk is going to be in a snit for sure! Cats hold a grudge more than more dogs. Maggie is over it the second the shot is over.
4) Wow I bet the wind on the Great Lake was epic! We get very powerful Santa Ana winds here but probably not as strong as you grew up with. Hope there’s no wind damage this weekend.
5) I hear you on being glad that nothing big is going on this weekend. It’s nice to have down time, especially if you’re expecting a lot of rain and heavy winds.
I hope you have a great weekend!