Friday, March 8th, 2019
TGIF, it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I have a boomerang version of this cold. Wizard has had the normal progression: Sore throat, congestion, a little cough, feeling icky for two to three days, then improving steadily each day after that. He’s almost kicked the cold entirely. I had two days of a sore throat and some congestion which then disappeared. Tuesday evening, it returned coated in ground glass which scraped all over my throat for two days and nights. Yesterday afternoon, my throat was improving dramatically, thereby saving me a trip to Urgent Care, so yay for that! Now I appear to just have the tail end of a cold.
- Wizard is convinced I went back to writing too soon. Maybe, but I’m really trying! I had one day this week when I was obsessed with writing and had to force myself to stop and walk away at 5pm. (Okay, Wizard may have used a glass of wine to lure me away from the computer, LOL) I love that feeling! Yesterday, I couldn’t make a scene work no matter what I tried, and I ended up doing laundry, vacuuming, dusting, anything else but writing. That kind of monotonous busy work, sadly, helps me think too. Hopefully by today, I’ll have the solution to tackle and tame the scene.
- Next week I have jury duty again. I had it not long after my surgery, but once I showed up wearing my hard brace, and the still healing scar on my throat, they were happy to defer it for almost three months
- One day, I want to write a fast-paced, can’t-catch-your-breath thriller. Or suspense. I love both suspense and thrillers. However I can’t stomach horror movies, and or gory scenes. Heck, I can barely stomach watching the news.
- I hope to finally have lunch with Biker Witch today. I had to cancel last Friday because I was getting sick. Then we cancelled plans Wednesday because it was raining (we were meeting at an outdoor mall). Tomorrow may be iffy as Biker Witch had a small procedure today (she’s okay), and it’s possible she may not feel up to it. But we’ll get together soon one way or another!
That’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend! And for most of us in the U.S., don’t forget to set your clocks forward an hour on Saturday night
March 8th, 2019 at 6:14 am · Link
Ugh. My mom got the boomerang version, too. Yuck. Glad you’re on the mend finally. I think you’re just getting back into the swing of writing again, and sometimes after a long while away, it comes back in sputters and spurts. Good luck on the jury duty. I hope you get something interesting and you can use the experience in your writing. Ooo, I’d love to see you write a suspense. And I hope you get together with Biker Witch soon.
1) I did get out into the woods for the past couple days. I’ve been working on paths along the property lines, so we know where not to go when we’re tromping around in there.
2) I’m this close to finishing Ugly and the Beast. Late, but maybe I can still have it ready to send to the editor by the end of this month.
3) I made salmon for dinner last. When prepping it, I accidentally grabbed the basil instead of the dill. Yeah, I didn’t notice until I’d shaken it all over the fillets. It was actually pretty good anyway.
4) We’ve been on this heart-healthy diet thing for a year now and we’re both at the point where we’re straining against it. Time for a KFC run. Nothing like a bucket of fried chicken to get us back on track. ;o)
5) I feel the need for a thrift store trip. Old books, of course, but there are a couple other things I’d like to find if I can. I was going to go yesterday, but then I got to playing in the woods and by the time I was done, I was too tired. Maybe today.
March 8th, 2019 at 3:03 pm · Link
Ugh on the boomerang. Yay for at least one good day of writing. The rest will come together. You can right a psychological thriller–no gore. Glad Biker Witch is doing ok, fingers crossed for lunch. My five:
1. I have the longevity version of the cold from hell. I still haven’t completely shaken it.
2. Around here, March tends to be back and forth, weather-wise. This year, it’s down-right schizophrenic. Yippee. Not.
3. I started a new release this week (WILD COUNTRY by Anne Bishop), realized it had a concurrent timeline with a previous book in Bishop’s The Others series, and it had been a long while since I last read/listened to those books. Doing a reread from the middle of the series (I’ve read the first 2 multiple times) and remembering just how good Bishop’s worldbuilding in.
4. What is it about Wavy Lays that’s so yummy? Just plain, even, with no dip. *sigh* Darn things are addictive.
5. Adidas has been sick–so much so that we thought a few nights that she wouldn’t be breathing the next morning. The vet says she’s just old. I switched her to straight canned food and she seems to be feeling better. She’s 17 so….
Have a great weekend everyone!
March 8th, 2019 at 3:49 pm · Link
1. I am so sorry the cold came back and bit you. Hoping that you’ve sent it packing.
2. I love how Wizard pulls you away from writing. He’s a smart man :).
3. Good luck with jury duty next week. If you get called to serve I hope it’s an interesting case.
4. A thriller would be different for you and I bet you’ll knock it out of the park. If you don’t like the blood and guts just imply them.
5. How did Biker Witch do? Hope all is well and that the two of you met for coffee. That is a much needed activity.
1a. My cold is still hanging on. it needs to hit the road.
2a. It’s been sunny here all day. A bit cold but pretty. It’s supposed to warm up a bit this weekend but rain. Can’t have everything :).
3a. My best friend’s hubby has been out of town all week and isn’t getting home until Sunday so we’re taking her out to dinner tomorrow. So looking forward to it. We’re picking her up so that we can visit with her dog first ;).
4a. Eldest is selling his work at Comic Con Cleveland this weekend. He’s on a panel this year too. They took Harrison with them this afternoon. I have a feeling this may be the last Con. Harrison is too mobile now to control at these types of things. Cass will be more than happy to quit going ;).
5. I need wine. My head has been so nasty all week and I have not had any wine so maybe it will help. It will, won’t it ;)?
Have a great weekend!
March 8th, 2019 at 6:58 pm · Link
B.E., I hope your mom is doing better! Today my throat is much better, the rest is just an annoying cold. I’m sure your right on writing too. We’ll see in jury duty. And yes I did see Biker Witch, it was great! Now for you:
1) Yay for getting out and defining your property lines. It sounds like such an amazing place!
2) Wow you’re really moving on the book now!
3) Since I don’t eat fish, I’m going to take your word that basil worked
4) Congrats on your heart healthy diet! A bucket of chicken once in a while isn’t bad.
5) I miss those thrift stores! I used to have two of them I went to locally, but they went away. I hope you can get there soon.
I hope you have a good weekend!
March 8th, 2019 at 7:11 pm · Link
Silver, thanks on all, now let’s get to your five:
1) Ugh, you’ve had the cold for more than two weeks if I’m remembering right. Hope you’re back to full health soon.
2) Weather weirdness seems to be the norm this year.
3) Isn’t it amazing how some books/writers hold up over time?
4) I may have to buy the Wavy Lays for Wizard since you love them so much.
5) Adidas is 17??? She’s not a younin’ anymore. I hope she keeps hanging in there. I’ll keep her in my thoughts. One of our kids is dealing with a very sick pet, and it’s just hard.
I hope you feel better soon and have a great weekend.
March 8th, 2019 at 7:27 pm · Link
Viki, thanks, I’m in the normal cold zone now and hope it goes away soon. I want more than anything to finish this book before I focus on anything else. I saw Biker Witch today and she’s really well, thanks! Okay now for you:
1) Hope all our colds go away soon!
2) I love cool sunny days. We had the California version (59/60 degrees, sunny with clouds) today and I loved it.
3) Sounds like a fun date with your girlfriend and I LOLed about going early to visit her dog! I’d soooo do that!
4) Your son is doing so well! It’s super cool to be on that panel at Comic Con, but yeah, trying to keep up with a toddler there will be a challenge!
5) Wine should definitely help kill off that cold virus
Hope you have a great time with your girlfriend (and her dog!) and have a really good weekend!