Friday, June 28th, 2019
TGIF! It’s time to share five random things about our week!
- Wednesday we went out to see our grandson, Turbo. He’s having so much fun in his new home, and especially, his new backyard where he can run, explore and play. Wizard has a selection of shirts with cars and trucks on it just because Turbo gets excited to see them. He’s such a grandpa!
- So yesterday, I went online to look for shirts with dogs on them for me (because Turbo loves dogs as much as he loves cars and trucks), and I accidentally typed in “dong” instead of “dog”. FYI, I don’t recommend doing that.
- I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins this week for Turbo. That might sound like a weird combo if you haven’t heard of it before, but it’s actually good. Anyhow, Turbo loved it! Later, Turbo was holding his mom’s hand to go for a walk, and reached for my hand too. I turned to Wizard and said, “Ha! Muffins win!” Special K cracked up at our competing over who Turbo loves more. (Wizard and I are just kidding, we don’t really compete for Turbo’s love, we just enjoy teasing each other to keep life fun).
- In some ways, it’s been a challenging week. First Wizard’s cousin lost her husband to illness. We’re sad for her and her family like. Then we found out my brother is facing a serious health challenge. However, a positive note is that my brother’s prognosis is very good right now, and he’s otherwise in good shape, which will help him a lot. That’s two things, and while I’m not generally superstitious, I’m waiting for that third thing to happen to fulfill the “Bad News (or Luck) Comes in Threes” saying. Logically I know it’s silly, but emotionally, I’m a six-year-old girl avoiding cracks on the sidewalk while mentally chanting, “Step on a crack and break your mother’s back.”
- This week, I helped Wizard plant new flowers in the four big pots we have around the pool. After we were done, the flowers were in shock, and I was worried. I really don’t have a green thumb, and I was concerned my help doomed the poor plants. But yesterday they looked perky and happy, so I’m not a flower killer!
That was my week, with very little writing. Now it’s your turn to share your Friday Five!
June 28th, 2019 at 7:00 am · Link
Grandma for the win! Muffins beat cool shirts any day. ROFL, I can well imagine what horrifying things you saw with a typo like that. OMG, I’m so sorry for Wizard’s cousin and positive thoughts winging their way for your brother. :hugs: And yes, I find myself looking for the third bad thing, too. Yay for the plants!
1) The twin fawns were in the yard just now. They’re already old enough to nibble corn, but still young enough to need mama’s milk. So tiny and cute!
2) I broke down and bought donuts yesterday. Bavarian creme filled, chocolate frosted.
3) There was a brown recluse spider in my kitchen sink this morning. I let it live long enough for Hubs to see it and then I squashed it with a fork and washed it down the garbage disposal. (Not an unusual critter, btw. We have loads of the nasty buggers, but I rarely see them except on the sticky traps.)
4) And now the fawns are scampering around the yard. Hubs is giving me a running commentary. ‘That one just picked up a clump of leaves.’ ‘Now the other one is bucking like a bronco.’ It just tickles him. And me, too. =o)
5) I need to make me some sweet tea today. I got hooked on the stuff when I lived in FL and since moving here, I learned how to make it myself. The secret is a teaspoon of baking soda in the bottom of the pitcher before you pour the boiling water over the teabags.
June 28th, 2019 at 3:02 pm · Link
I’m always glad when B.E. beats me here. In commenting to your five, Jen, I can just say, “What B.E. said!” My five:
1) I managed new words but not nearly enough. Still…new words!
2) Loki is a morning critter. He’s also fearless. He climbed up the bedspread, jumped over my feet (under the covers), zoomed across the foot of the bed and leaped onto my dressing table (the top of which is stacked with stuff because…packrat), all so he could stare at himself in the big, round mirror.
3) Gentleman Jake likes to dig in the sand soil. There’s a spot just off the patio that ALL the dog like to hollow out and lay in. Jake does this but then gets up and goes to lay down in the wading pool to get the dirt off. I couldn’t figure out why he would come in with one side wet and one side dry. Now I know.
4) I have a love/hate relationship with long series that I have to reread before reading the new release. I guess I should be glad because it puts me way closer to my Goodreads reading challenge total, but at the same time, it sort of limits me on discovering new books.
5) Only is busy making plans for stuff to do in NYC. Today, she realized she’ll get to meet Roxanne St. Claire and Brenda Novak at the NRCA reception. Then she looked at the literacy signing because I’m taking her in as my assistant. “Mom, I don’t really recognize any names besides Sylvia Day.” (She’s a huge fan). I then pointed out that Sherrilyn Kenyon will be there. Uhm…I introduced Only to romance through Sherrilyn’s Dark Hunter series. I could hear her squeeing through the text.
And that’s my five. Have a great weekend. Lawyer Guy and his office share “partner” of 20 years are headed their separate ways this weekend. LG is partially retiring but will keep space at his brother’s office. All the furniture and stuff on the walls gets moved tonight and tomorrow. A new era. Fun times for me…
June 28th, 2019 at 3:22 pm · Link
1. Loved the photo of Turbo. Glad he’s having so much fun with his new yard and grandparents.
2. Dong OMG .
3. I love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I know Turbo did :).
4. Very sorry to hear of your loss and your brother’s health issue. Glad they caught him early and things look promising.
5. Oh no – poor plants. My hubs has the green thumb too – not me.
1a. Finally had coffee with girlfriend and her hubs came too. He left rather quickly because he had to catch a flight to Amsterdam.
2a. Hubs and I took girlfriend to the Natural History Museum ( eldest now works there as the head of exhibits). We had a great time and walked over to the Art museum for lunch. Nice day.
3a. Poor Spunk is having issues. He’s been throwing up like crazy. Doc says it’s just him. I feel for the poor guy. May try a different vet soon.
4a. It’s HOT and humid. Hate it!
5a. I really want to bake (especially after seeing your muffins) but I refuse to use the oven when the air is running constantly. Yes, I am that cheap :).
Have a wonderful weekend!
June 28th, 2019 at 9:16 pm · Link
B.E., thanks so much for all your comments! I appreciate them. Now for you:
1) Aww’s on the twin fawns! How cute they must be!
3) You’re smart to know what a brown recluse looks like so you can be more careful. Glad you were able to dispose of him (sorry, that was really bad of me, LOL!)
4) I love your hubs fawn updates!
5) Huh, I had no idea about baking soda in the bottom of the pitcher for sweet tea. I’m not a sweet tea drinker (I like unsweetened), but Wizard likes it. Good to know!
I hope you have a great weekend!
June 28th, 2019 at 9:22 pm · Link
Silver, “what B.E., said” is so noted Now for you:
1) New words are awesome!
2) Loki knows he’s adorable, of course he’d travel the obstacle course to get to the mirror.
3) It all makes perfect sense to Jake
4) You are really committed to reread the entire series before the new book comes out. I’m impressed.
5) You and Only are going to have a great time in NYC! I’m so happy Only gets to meets some of her favorite authors, that’s always a great experience. How funny on Rocki, you’ve known her forever I think. Syl and I started out together, and I love how she’s soared! And I was a Dark Hunter addict back in the day. So I can totally relate to Only’s excitement.
Okay so all LG’s stuff gets moved to his new office he’s sharing with his brother, correct? I wanted to make sure I read that right. I hope it goes smoothly! Have a great weekend!
June 28th, 2019 at 9:31 pm · Link
Viki, I like the cookies as well! And yeah, they appear so far to have caught it early because my brother was smart and aggressive. I’m very grateful for that. Okay now for you:
1) Wonderful that you got to see your girlfriend. When I first read that, I thought your hubby went to Amsterdam which seemed unusual, then I realized it was her girlfriend’s husband.
2) You have so much to be proud of with your eldest son (all of them!) Isn’t it special to share that with a close friend? Of course, I know that’s not why you took her, but it’s still nice.
3) My gosh, Spunk is having issues. Between the bladder change, and vomiting, I’d be concerned too. The vet knows way more than me, but Spunk is your beloved cat. If you really have doubts, consult another vet. Hope he feels better soon!
4) Hot and humid together is a mean combination. I’m sorry you’re dealing with that.
5) I completely understand! When we’re in 100 degree weather, I bake early in the morning if I have a reason to do it. Otherwise, I skip it.
Have a great weekend!