Friday, September 13th, 2019
Howdy and TGIF! Okay let’s dive right into sharing five things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I went shopping and had lunch with Biker Witch (my sister) yesterday. We had a good time, she’s doing well after her major back surgery two months ago, and that makes me very happy.
- Here’s my shopping find that I splurged a whole $5.00 plus tax for: He’s perfect for one of the two bare spots on my mantle that need a little color. I love my elephant!
- Wizard and I ran errands separately the other day and ended up coming home at the exact same time. When we came in the house, Maggie was acting a little weird, staying excited longer than usual and trying to get us to pay attention to her. We’re like, “Dude, chill out.” Then Wizard went outside, talked to a neighbor and discovered that there was a 4.0 earthquaker centered right in our town–which means it felt pretty danged strong. Wizard and I didn’t feel it because we were both driving when it happened. We both sincerely believe that Maggie had been trying to tell us that something happened while we were gone.
- CPA Boy and Special K are having a housewarming party this Sunday. I’d asked Special K what I could do to help and she suggested I bring a dessert, like lemon bars. I’m thrilled to do it, and of course, I figured if one dessert is good, then I should make two so people have a choice. That’s completely logical, right? I’ve decided to make lemon bars and Twix bars, which I ran by Special K to make sure it works for her. I even ordered a special brownie pan with removable dividers that looks like this: I’m weirdly excited about this pan, LOL! I’m hoping that if I use enough bakers spray, I can get the Twix bars with its caramel center to cut nicely. I really want uniform bars that look nice.
- I already told Wizard that if the bars don’t come out right, I’ll toss them in the trash. I have to say that Wizard’s loud snort of laughter was just rude, and very hypocritical since he’s much more of a perfectionist than I am. Also, the fact that I bought the ingredients for my backup dessert of easy red velvet brownies just in case something goes wrong is completely normal, and not at all like a perfectionist :-). I really have been having a great time planning this, buying all the ingredients, and am looking forward to a baking marathon on Saturday. I very pleased Special K asked me to do it. And all teasing aside, if for some reason the lemon and/or Twix bars don’t come out and I run out of time to make my backup dessert, I’d just stop at the store on the way and buy cookies or brownies. It’s taken me a couple of decades, but I have finally learned life is too short to get truly upset over stuff like a failed batch or two of desserts.
So that’s my week and weekend. Now I’d love to hear five random things about your week! Everyone have a great weekend!
September 13th, 2019 at 5:34 am · Link
I was gonna say you better not be thinking about throwing out brownies. :shakes finger at you: Cuz you could always box up any mistakes and ship them here. I don’t care how they look. Fingers crossed they turn out the way you want them to, though. Yay for Biker Witch making a good recovery! And I love your elephant! And of course, Good Girl Maggie wanted to alert you to events. =o)
1) I’m writing again. I totally had to deep clean my head space and scour all the negativity out, but once I did that, I’m moving along. Okay, so some it still oozes back, but I’m ready with a scrub brush.
2) My fawns are losing their spots. We have several with no spots at all anymore. :sniffle: This time of year always makes me a little sad because the babies aren’t babies anymore and soon they’ll be on their own.
3) Our new neighbors have some kind of weird birds on their property. Sounds like rusty windmills over there. We thought they might be guinea hens, but our resident flock of free-range guineas isn’t that rhythmic. Next time I run into the dude, I’ll ask him.
4) One set of neighbors that have been weekenders for years is now here full time. They’re a nice addition to us full-timers. And no more of the horrendous drive up from Louisiana for them. Yay.
5) I haven’t walked once this week and I’m really feeling it. I’ve been too busy in the mornings and it’s too hot later. Maybe today will be better. I have to walk even if it’s not, though. Gotta keep them legs limber, doncha know.
September 13th, 2019 at 2:24 pm · Link
Poor Maggie! I’m sure she wanted y’all to know that the earth moved and she didn’t like it! I’m with B.E. Ship the fails to me. I don’t care what it looks like. You a perfectionist? Pshaw I mean seriously, just look at how you write… *ducks and runs*
I’m late getting around today. Because…stuffs. Anyway, here’s my five:
1) I finally got my paperbacks through Amazon. It took a whole series of emails and screen shots and a phone call. It all came down to my imprint name on Bowker. They said it didn’t exist and didn’t know where to look on Bowker. I miss customer service that speaks English as a first language.But hey! One is live and one is in review so…SCORE! 🙆♀️
2) Then I discovered that for some reason, none of my books were in X-ray. Which they used to be. So yeah, that’s why I’m late. I’ve spent the morning working on that, but only got 6 done. My eyes are blurry, carpal tunnel has kicked in, and I need a nap. Or wine. 🤦
3) Went to Grandparents Day at Stormy’s school. We had chapel (its a private school run by the Lutheran church), then activities in his room while waiting to go to the book fair. The kids iced cookies for their grandparents. LG was already gone by then. Stormy came back with two cookies–one loaded with icing, one not. I opted for the not. He looked at me like I was crazy. I reminded him that I don’t really like icing, which got me another “she’s crazy” scowl. He was trying to be nice and give me the “good” cookie. I promised I was more than happy with the “bad” cookie. 😂
4) I have a brake light out on my Highlander. Maybe I’ll just stay home from now on… 😏
5) Did I mention a nap, or wine? I think it’s that time. 😋
Have a great weekend, everyone!
September 13th, 2019 at 3:01 pm · Link
1. So nice to hear that Biker Witch is recovering so well. Good to go shopping too :).
2. Love the elephant.
3. Poor Maggie. Being home alone with the quake must have given her a fright. She’s such a good dog trying to convey to you that something “not good” happened.
Did the wine stay on the rack? I sure hope so.
4. Have a great time at the house warming. Lemon bars sound great but so do twix ;).
5. I don’t see a mess up going in the garbage because at my house we’d just get out spoons.
1a. The generator is in but I can’t get it hooked up to the WiFi (that’s just to monitor things). They thought it was my signal being too weak but a booster did no good either. When I got up at Wednesday I thought maybe the password was wrong and you know he used lowercase letters :(. Now the problem is my phone has been acting up and I can’t trust the WiFi to hold while I set it up. Hopefully youngest will help me out sometime over the weekend.
2. Youngest slipped off the brand new drive with his huge truck and when he pulled back up the 11 inch berm his tires chewed out the drive .
3. Hubs is going to watch Harrison Sunday while his parents go see It. That kid is a trip. He really wears out the hubs :).
4. Eldest lent us his Avengers Endgame. It’s going to be an entire weekend viewing since it’s over 3 hours and hubs can’t stay focused that long. That’s fine with me.
5. I’m thinking about visiting one of those Himalayan salt saunas. I soak in it so a sauna might be fun.
Have a great weekend!
September 13th, 2019 at 6:28 pm · Link
B.E, Wizard wouldn’t let me throw mistakes in the trash either Now for you:
1) Your discipline at shooing away the negativity is amazing!
2) Babies always grow up too quickly.
3) Hope you run into the guy soon and solve the bird mystery.
4) Yay for good neighbors!
5) Yep, I feel you! Gotta make time for exercise to stay loose. Having a dog helps motivate me out for at least a short walk. But sometimes life + heat can really make it tough for all of us.
Have a great weekend!
September 13th, 2019 at 6:34 pm · Link
Silver, I always think my writing is because I’m so NOT perfect. But I do get it’s letting the perfectionist (AKA bitchy & soul destroying) editor in my head that does it
1) WOW that’s been a crazy uphill battle for you and now…
2) More issues crop up. No wonder you’re blurry eyed!
3) Stormy has a good heart! Wanting you to have the “best” cookie makes me love that boy and I don’t even know him except through your stories. I’d probably pick the non-iced one too :-). The school encouraging grandparent participation is also a great thing.
4) Bummer on the light out on your Hummer. Although why didn’t I know you had a Hummer? Oh wait, it’s because you have a Highlanders! I don’t know where I got Hummer, LOL! I went back to re-read that and realized I’m just an idiot.
5) Wine then nap. Trust me, I’m a professional
Have a great weekend!
September 13th, 2019 at 6:38 pm · Link
Viki, LOL I knew you’d remember the wine rack. It didn’t move, pretty much as Wizard had said. I still want to secure it more, but I haven’t convinced Wizard yet.
1) So now it’s your phone? You need a break! Hope your son can solve the mystery and get you all set up.
2) NO!!! I’m so sorry! You waited so long, and went through so much aggravation getting that drive way poured, and now this
3) Harrison and Grandpa seem to have a very special relationship! I bet Harrison is almost as tired as Grandpa after spending the day together.
4) 3 hours is a long time! I’m pretty bad at focusing that long too. Hope you both enjoy it.
5) Try it! I’d love to hear about it. I will probably never do things like that, but love hearing other’s experiences.
Hope you have a great weekend!