Friday, August 28th, 2020
TGIF. I really hope all those in the path of Hurricane Laura are safe.
Okay onto sharing five random things about our week.
- Insomnia sucks.
- I’m writing, deleting, rearranging scenes and generally crazed, which insomnia feeds on like a hungry vampire. But mulish plots, stubborn insomnia nor hungry vampires are gonna stop me. Hmm…vampires, what if I had a vampire sweep through the book and kill them all???? Tempting, so tempting!
- So last week when we were at oldest sons with the family, the conversation turned to Costco. I know, boring, but it made sense as Special K had bought the meat for carne asada at Costco and middle son and his wife are Foodies and anyhow, I digress. In the midst of this fascinating conversation, Oldest yells form across the table, “Hey mom do you like that Costco cereal I told you to try?” And I’m like. “OMG Yes! And I’m not buying it anymore. Not ever. It’s like crack and and I eat too much of it.” I was dead serious, I LOVE this granola cereal. Oldest son says, “but it’s healthy. Eat it, mom.” And I still said no because it’s expensive which hurts my cheap little heart. So the very next day, Wizard runs to Costco and buys the EXACT CEREAL I just swore I would not buy again. He sets it on my desk and said, “Witch, you like this cereal, so I bought it.” Then he walked away. Turns out, he took a picture of the box and went to the store just to buy the cereal he overheard me say I like too much to have in the house.
- Two neighbors have had their A/C’s replaced in the last few weeks, while ours continues to work fine. We’re cautiously happy, although we’ve technically set aside $$ to get a new one if needed. We had intended to do it right when Covid happened and now we’re figuring why mess with success?
- I need to order Maggie new dog tags, but I can never remember to do it. I blame Revision Brain. Also, if’ I’d quit trying to reinvent the wheel, I could actually make the revision work instead of trying to write the great American novel, and then I’d remember to order Maggie dog tags and NOT try to put coffee in her dog food.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope you have a great weekend!
August 28th, 2020 at 5:30 am · Link
Yes, insomnia does suck. Heh, I’ve had the ‘kill them all’ feeling a time or two myself. LOL about the cereal. I totally get it. Fingers crossed for your AC. And I totally get the revision brain thing, too. :hugs:
1) I need to get offline so I can get ready to take Owl to the airport.
2) Eh, I have fifteen minutes.
3) I am so gonna collapse this afternoon.
4) I hate driving in the dark. I can do it, but I don’t like it.
5) Thank goodness Hurricane Laura went east so I don’t have to drive through its remnants this morning. (Sorry to anyone east of here.) Might get some rain, but nothing out of the ordinary. At least it’s not fog. We had fog the last time I had to drive her to the airport and that sucked.
August 28th, 2020 at 9:29 am · Link
Insomnia does indeed suck. Revision brain is the pits and I’ve been known to whack minor characters just to keep the majors in line. Crack is crack and Wiz is an enabler. Just sayin’… 🤞 the AC holds! I need to get tags for Jake, too. I’ll add it to my list just as soon as I can find it… Okay, my five:
1. I’m at 52K words on NIGHT WISH. I was shooting for 50K. Oops. About a third of the words are just snippets that may or may not be used so we’ll see. Currently, my goal is 60K, though that’s long for this book. LOTS of revisions!
2. Loki discovered a hummingbird on the feeder. He was a little freaked. The bird was actually sitting still on one of the landing bars and drinking deeply. Both vacated the area before I could grab my phone and snap a pic.
3. Speaking of cats, I’ve seen two of the new batch of feral kittens. There’s supposed to be three. One, who I’ve named Smudge because it’s the color of a #2 pencil mark erased by a bad eraser–sort of a dark gray with some brown speckles. The other is a lighter gray with dark gray rings around his tail. I haven’t come up with a good name for him yet. No way to catch them though.
4. Made a new batch of peanut clusters with semisweet chocolate chips and sprinkled sea salt on them. Yum! Bought dark chocolate chips and white chocolate chips to try next. Total crack.
5. Took Jake to vote Tuesday in a run-off election. The poll workers are sad if I don’t bring him. He got pets from everyone (there are two precincts that both use this one place for voting) and one lady took a picture of him. Another lady was talking to me about her dogs and a couple came in. Jake immediately sat and raised one paw to the lady. She laughed, shook his paw and asked if he was the new greeter. All the poll workers said, “YES!” So now Jake is the official greeter at the polling station. 🤣 He’s a good boy!
And that’s pretty much my life–critters and words. Yippee. Have a great weekend, everyone! 🥰
August 28th, 2020 at 3:21 pm · Link
1. Yes, insomnia is awful.
2. Vampires would do the trick, but then you would be sad.
3. You really have a good one in Wizard. He is SO thoughtful.
4. I hear you on the AC but you have to figure the age of the unit and think about how much life it has. If you can get through another year, do it.
5. You’re going to have to write a few notes to remind you to order Maggie’s tags :). And certainly – no coffee in her food ;).
1a. I’m going to take a while getting used to the fridge. I really don’t like it but my space is very small and it was the only one that would fit other than one that wouldn’t arrive until after Oct 17th.
2a. We keep loosing water and having tons of air in the pipes. It looks like either our well pump is about to die or our 185 ft deep well is going dry. A guy will be out Monday to check it out. Wish us luck in not going dry.
3a. Was out this morning and the clouds opened up. Couldn’t see a thing and was only going 14 mph. Haven’t had that experience in a LONG time. It’s been kind of dry here.
4a. Because of well issue it looks like I’m going to cancel middle and DIL coming over Sunday to finally celebrate my birthday. I don’t care about it but son does. He’s a sweet kid :).
5a. The stress of the past few days is really getting to me today. I need to just sit on the couch with Spunk and chill. Sounds like a plan for tonight.
Have a great weekend!
August 28th, 2020 at 4:55 pm · Link
B.E, I’ve never struggled with a revision like this, but I’ll get it. Okay now for you:
1) Hopefully you got off on time to go to the airport.
2) Yay for extra 15 minutes.
3) You deserve an afternoon of rest!
4) Yeah, driving in the dark requires a bit more focus. Did you get her to the airport with no problems? Except that it’s hard to say goodbye, of course.
5) That hurricane is awful. I’m not you’re not in her path, though. I agree with you on fog. We don’t get bad fog too often, but I’ve had to drive in it, and it’s hard when you can’t see two feet in front of you.
Hope you both readjust to a kidless home this weekend! And that your daughter has a safe and easy trip.
August 28th, 2020 at 4:58 pm · Link
Silver, I already forgot about the tags again, LOL!
1) Wow you’re writing that book fast! I’m happy and jealous!
2) That would have been a great pic!
3) Feral kittens keep you guys entertained. Is Loki interested in them or does he even see them?
4) Yum! Dark chocolate is my fave.
5) Jake is such a sweet, friendly boy! How can anyone resist falling in love with him! Good boy, Jake!!!
Hope you guys have a great weekend!
August 28th, 2020 at 5:03 pm · Link
Viki, I’m trying something else on the book, but I do this everyday, then go back to the original storyline with edits. I’m truly a cat chasing it’s tail. Or is that a dog chasing it’s tail? I’m so confused.
1) I can sympathize on the limited space issue. Finding a fridge to fit is tough. We dread when ours dies for that reason. I hope you and the fridge can come to a workable solution.
2) I’m crossing my fingers that your well isn’t running dry. That’s a serious problem.
3) That’s some challenging driving conditions. Glad you made it home safe.
4) Ugh, I’m sorry you have to cancel This year is just a crapper all around.
5) You’ve had a trying week between the fridge and well. Hope you spent the afternoon resting and playing with Spunk.
Have a good weekend!
August 28th, 2020 at 8:50 pm · Link
We made it to the airport and she made it to Michigan (and I made it home) with no problems. There was a snafu with her rental car, but she’s at the school now and all’s well. Thanks.
August 30th, 2020 at 4:48 pm · Link
B.E., I’m so glad it all worked out, although I’m sure the rental car snafu was a momentary headache.