Friday, September 18th, 2020
TGIF! Time to jump into sharing five random things about our week:
- I feel for all those suffering the damage from wind, rains and flooding from Hurricane Sally. Mother Nature needs to go on Xanax and knock this crap off.
- Next month we will have had Maggie for three years! She’s the Princess of the house and runs our lives. But she’s also such a sweet natured dog…unless she’s chasing lizards, then she’s ruthless.
- It took me an insane amount of days to come up with a rough five page scene to fix the final plot problem. I wrote several scenes but they all felt flat to me, so I deleted them because, well, that’s how I roll. I’m going to clean up the scene tomorrow, and adjust a couple other scenes to support it. Then onto editing the rest. it’s ridiculous how long it’s taken me, but my speed with come back as I regain my writing confidence.
- Here’s a picture of me with my tomato plant to show you how big my “baby” has grown. I’m casually dressed cuz it’s hot and this was a spur of the moment pic. I’ve been in a battle with bugs on this guy, but so far, I’m winning and I have several tomatoes growing.
- And here is my bell pepper plant. He’s thriving with three baby bell peppers and a lot more blooms. We’ll see if I can get any of them to maturity. If you look close, you’ll see someone photobombed this shot with her tail
So that’s my week, now I’d love to hear about yours! I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend!
September 18th, 2020 at 7:01 am · Link
I can’t believe it’s been three years. It feels like you’ve had Maggie longer. She’s become such a big part of this blog. Yay for fixing the final plot problem! Yay for tomatoes and peppers! And Maggie’s tail!
1) I bought a dozen eggs when I already had a full dozen, so that meant I had plenty of eggs to make lemon squares! So I did.
2) I’m still working on adjusting my grocery buying back down to two people instead of three.
3) Speaking of three, Owl is doing well back at school.
4) I finally managed to go fishing for the first time since July. Caught one little pumpkinseed (a variety of panfish), which is better than getting skunked, and it was nice to be at the lake again.
5) I’ve been working on edits. It’s slow going, but there is progress, so I’m calling it a win.
September 18th, 2020 at 8:49 am · Link
Awww. Look at you, skinny girl! And the plants and Maggie too! She’s such a good girl! Three years is a blink of an eye–unless one of those years is 2020. 🤣 Mother Nature is truly PO’d! You’ll whip that scene into shape and yay on the edits! My five:
1. Finished my line edits/revisions Monday and got them in about 6 p.m. central time to NY. Got my typesetting edits late yesterday. That’s first up work-wise today.
2. Volunteered as playground monitor at Stormy’s school yesterday. One of the teachers lost her mother and the parent group rounded up volunteers to cover classrooms and activities so the staff could go to the funeral. It was a nice day but I’d forgotten about all the various “relationship” dynamics on the playground in grade school. Also, the capture the flag game was called on account of cheating. 🤦🏼♀️
3. M&M Blasts from Sonic are not my friends. Just sayin’…
4. We got to turn off the AC for a couple of days and then had to turn it back on. The temps weren’t bad but the humidity went up. 🤞 we can turn it off this weekend and not have to turn it back on. Low utilities bills would be nice!
5. Nothing else of note happened. Why yes, my life is boring, wny do you ask? 🤣
Have a great weekend, everyone! 🥰
September 18th, 2020 at 3:07 pm · Link
1. I agree, this planet needs a chill pill.
2. Maggie has been a blessed addition to your family. It’s her job to protect you from lizards ;).
3. I think you’re doing an excellent job on the book revision and it takes work to make it right, especially for a Leo :).
4. I love your veggies. They look great. Our plants are pretty much done producing. I hope you enjoy your tomatoes and peppers.
5. I pretty much dressed casual all the time so I wouldn’t have thought you weren’t dressed just normal.
1a. It’s really cooled down here and will stay nice for the next 4 days. The temps will then head back up to the 80’s. I’m very happy for now.
2a. Made stew yesterday and it’s leftovers for tonight.
3a. Harrison wants Paw Paw and grandma Vik to come over tomorrow. We’ll see. I’d rather Sunday since I have several errands I have to run tomorrow. Hubs thinks he’s going to go without me – RIGHT!
4a. Was going to make oatmeal raisin cookies today but after shopping and cleaning I have run out of steam. They will be made tomorrow. Thus another reason to see Harrison on Sunday not tomorrow.
5a. I washed our throw pillows the other day and hubs pillow exploded in the washer. Such a mess. Never had anything that bad happen before. I ordered new pillows and they will arrive Oct 1st. The new grill was supposed to come the 21st but now they say the 20th. I’m good with that :).
Have a great weekend!
September 18th, 2020 at 6:19 pm · Link
B.E., sometimes i feel like we’ve had Maggie longer too
1) I love an excuse for baking, and an extra dozen eggs qualifies for that!
2) Going from two to three people makes a difference in grocery shopping.
3) Yay on Owl doing well!
4) I bet you enjoyed every second of finishing.
5) I call you working on edits a big win!
Hope you have a great weekend!
September 18th, 2020 at 6:31 pm · Link
Silver, thanks, but I feel like middle age spread has been rather cruel. But I refuse to dwell on it because my health is decent and that’s a lot to be grateful for.
1) You rock for getting those line edits in under the wire! I know you were working hard on them! I’m guessing the typesetting edits are for something else? I don’t know what those are (if it’s from NY, then my publishers called them something else, which is always possible).
2) That was wonderful that the other staff could go support the one who lost her mother. You guys in the parent group really touched my heart for doing that. I remember some of those relationship dynamics from my volunteer days, but I bet I’d be surprised at what I’ve forgotten if I did it again.
3) But they are so delicious! I haven’t’ had anything like that in years, but I would if I could!
4) I feel you on A/C. We haven’t been able to turn ours off in while, and I have a love-hate thing going with it. The bill gives me shudders.
5) You’re life is not boring, your work hard, volunteer and take care of your family–my favorite kind of people If we are able to get together again, we need to get one of those sonic blast thingies!
Have a great weekend!
September 18th, 2020 at 6:37 pm · Link
Viki, I hope I can coax a few ripe tomatoes and peppers before mine stop producing for the year. And I’m always dressed casual too these days. But I used to try harder
1) Enjoy the cooler weather!
2) I love leftovers these days.
3) Oh no, hubs is NOT going with you! Harrison loves his Grandma Vic (I think I have that right). I hope it works out for you.
4) Can you take Harrison oatmeal raisin cookies if you go Sunday? Also, yeah, shopping and cleaning would drain me of the energy to bake too. What happened to the days when we could do it all???
5) I don’t think I’ve ever had a pillow explode in the wash, but I can sure visualize that disaster. Sorry That’s surprising news the grill will come a day earlier than expect, but very good! Hope it lasts longer this time.
You guys have a great weekend, and hope your cookies come out delicious and you can share with Harrison.
September 20th, 2020 at 9:18 am · Link
Typesetting is what CG calls them. They’re like the final proof after all the track changes/edits/revisions and after the copyeditor has had a go at the MS. It’s when we catch space oops, missing words, questions from the copyeditor, and stuff.Like what I just typed, which happens during those pesky “accept/refuse insertion/deletion” during line edits. Anyway, it means REALLY reading the book and I can only read so many pages at a time before my eyes get watery and blurry. I’ll be done today though! Hope you had a good weekend despite the heat, fires, and now earthquakes! Stay safe!!!