Friday, January 22nd, 2021
TGIF! It’s been another week that feels long and short at the same time. Let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week.
- This week, I was in the kitchen doing something, when I realized I heard Eli and Savi talking. Obviously this was in my head, but it was the clearest I’ve heard character voices since my tinnitus started a few years ago. That was a high.
- The low has been trying to make the scenes work. The dialogue is okay, it’s everything else like world building that has to be right. I looked like this yesterday afternoon
- Maggie has been telling me for a week there was something in our hill. The other day, she found it. It was hilarious to watch her stalk, pounce, and bury her head up to her neck in the ground cover trying to get this thing. I hoped it wasn’t a snake. It wasn’t–it was a rat. Ugh. Maggie flushed it out and chased it away. We’re at the base of the Cleveland National Forest so we get critters.
- We might have some rain in the forecast and we need it.
- I take Maggie on two walks most days, but otherwise, I’m in the house too much. I really need to get out and see more people. As it turns out, I’m not all hermit and I miss being with people. I really miss seeing other writers too. I’m probably not alone feeling like this.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a:
January 22nd, 2021 at 9:02 am · Link
Maggie the Protector! I miss talking books with people. Hope you get the rain! Enjoy the highs, deal with the lows. They even out in the end. My five:
1. Speaking of highs, I have the original chapter that sort of started this book that was originally going to be a novella and then the thing started jumping all over the dang place. Then the plot sort of untangled in my mind, but for that one chapter. Well, sitting here this morning sipping coffee and watching it get light outside, it occurred to me that it was a matter of logistics. I had the scene set in the US. Chicago. Washington. NYC. Maybe New Orleans. But none of that fit. THEN….*hums dum-dum-DA-dum* Light Bulb Moment(tm). The Scooby Gang is in Paris. (I haven’t figured out why but that’s minor). Where else would Sade be going undercover in “stripper heels”???? S’all good. And will make sense to normal people eventually.
2. Stormy is coming today. He’s been on virtual school for a few days. The Only took him to work with her Wednesday and that worked out okay. Mostly. (She was cataloguing stuff in the studio and “vault” and moving stuff around that he could “help” with. Yesterday, she did the WFH thing. Today, he’s coming after his Zoom class so she can get some deskwork done. Big Daddy is looking forward to Stormy Time(tm).
3. Still trying to make friends with the crows. We talk but they mostly ignore the food I put out. Ah well. Still trying.
4. I listened to my own book in audio. It was crazy weird! The narrator did an awesome job. I’d pick her to narrate again. FIGHTING FOR ELENA, in case anyone is interested.
5. Loki has a new game. Poor Boone. He sleeps in our closet at night (and during storms), so we leave the door open so he can get into it. Then the door stays open because his head is on the threshhold. Loki gets “behind” the door and bats it almost shut. Then he sticks his paws under the door to bat at whatever part of Boone’s fur he can reach. This would be funny but for a) poor Boone who is old and b) LG’s belts and bolo ties are on a rack on the inside of the door and they clatter every time Loki bats the door. The moral of this story is “be careful what you name your cat. S/he will likely live up to it!”
Have a great weekend, witches!
January 22nd, 2021 at 12:22 pm · Link
Happy Friday! Yay for hearing your characters talk again, even if you still have to fill in the bits and bobs. Yay for Maggie getting that darn ol’ rat to run away. Fingers crossed for your rain. And yes, we need to get out and be social every once in a while – even hermits like me.
1) I’ve been making min-frittatas for Hubs,so he doesn’t have to wait for me to make breakfast and he doesn’t have to make it himself. It’s basically omelet stuff in a muffin pan – eggs & milk with toppings and seasonings. Yum. Two a morning lasts him 6 days. (If I don’t eat any. Hehe.)
2) I did finish writing the first draft of my book, but I only just started looking at it for edits. I already see I need to rework the beginning. Erg.
3) I’m ready for spring to get here. It’s not that it’s been a bad winter, but I want to see flowers poking up out of the ground and baby animals.
4) I’m having a tough time finding things I want to read right now. I’ve DNF’d like 6 books already this week.
5) Other than that, not much going on. I’m so boring.
January 22nd, 2021 at 4:12 pm · Link
1. how great that the characters were talking to you. Did Eli want brownies?
2. Sounds like you worked hard on the scenes. Were you able to nail down a first go around?
3. Yuck! A rat. Glad Maggie was there to kick it out!
4. Sure hope you get rain and it helps ease the drought some.
5. You’re not alone on needing to get out more. I only get out when I have to run an errand. We need to get the vaccines going and kick this virus to the curb!
1a. It’s been 2 very pain filled days with my shoulder. I’m eating pain killers. It’s not the normal pain either. I do think it’s more aggressive because of the weather.
2a. Had a CD come due today and spoke with my banker. The rates are SO LOW. It’s awful. I went with a 3 month at .1%. The best rate was .4% for 60 months and I wasn’t doing that.
3a. Our new library opens Feb 1st but I signed hubs and me up to go on a self guided tour tomorrow. It will be nice to go do something even if we’re the only ones there ;).
4a. When I was headed out this morning somehow the hatch on my car opened at the same time as the garage door and they got hooked together. Hubs head to help me get free (my garage is super small and my car hardly fits). I have a very small chip in the paint on the hatch lip but no other apparent damage.
5a. It’s cold here and getting colder with snow coming in. So we’re having stew for dinner tonight.
I hope you have a nice weekend and get that rain!
January 22nd, 2021 at 4:48 pm · Link
Silver, looks like rain is coming, so that’s good. Okay now for you:
1) Umm….wow?? LOL! First, I’m glad I’m not the only one who jumps all over in plotting. Second…how can you go wrong with stripper heels in Paris? (if I read that right) Third, you’ll get this and it’ll be great!
2) Yay for Stormy Time, and for you guys helping out. But this virtual school is killer on kids and parents everywhere. Really hoping kids can get back into school soon.
3) The crows are not pushovers. Keep trying!
4) Awesome!!! I want to do audio again soon…but you know–time is a huge factor.
5) Loki keeps things lively! I do feel for Boone, he just wants to enjoy his senior days in peace. But can you imagine your life without Loki now? He’s entertaining and even affectionate if the mood strikes.
I hope you have a great weekend!
January 22nd, 2021 at 4:59 pm · Link
B.E. the hermit thing is really getting old. Maggie’s awesome at chasing critters, but she’s a little sick today. Taking her to the vet in a few minutes here (I’m guessing a bladder infection)
1) Yum. Once you make them, they are an easy and satisfying breakfast.
2) The writing high never lasts long does it? But still, you wrote the first draft and that’s great. You’ll figure out the rewrite.
3) Your longing for spring is understandable.
4) Ugh, I hate when I go through that. Hope you find a great book soon.
5) You’re not boring!
Hope you have a good weekend and get lost in an amazing book.
January 22nd, 2021 at 5:03 pm · Link
Viki, Eli should have asked for brownies, I’d have made them for him
1) I’m so sorry. Pain sucks.
2) CDs interest rates are ridiculous. Hopefully you find a better option.
3) Great way to get out.
4) How weird. Glad it wasn’t much damage and what a way to start the day.
5) Sounds like the perfect night for stew.
Have a great weekend! I had to make this short, I’m leaving to take Maggie to the vet (probably bladder infection).