Friday, January 29th, 2021
TGIF! Let’s get right to sharing five random things about our week:
- For anyone who didn’t see it on my FB pages, Maggie did great during surgery. She had 3 huge stones. Maggie is tough, she never lets pain stop her, but this…it’s kind of scary that she could hide it. However, now we have a treatment plan to monitor her going forward so she hopefully won’t have to go through this again and that makes me feel better. If Maggie’s doing well enough tomorrow, she’ll be able to come home.
- I didn’t even try to write yesterday. I’ve been doing a bunch of other writing related stuff this week so I’ve been productive at least.
- I made oatmeal chocolate chunk cookies yesterday. Tried a recipe I found online…I feel like I wasted my chocolate chunks The cookies aren’t bad, just not what I wanted. I think I’ll survive the disappointment, LOL.
- Covid has hit one of our extended family and the situation is not good. We just feel helpless like everyone else in the world. I don’t know if there’s anyone left who hasn’t been affected by this virus.
- Rain is expected tonight and it’s supposed to be a big-for-us storm. We didn’t make any plans this weekend, figuring it’s best to just stay home and take care of Maggie. If one of the kids stops by, that’s fine, but we don’t want to to anywhere and leave her alone at all for a few days or longer depending on how she does.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours!
January 29th, 2021 at 8:57 am · Link
So glad to hear Maggie is doing well.
January 29th, 2021 at 10:33 am · Link
Yay for Maggie the Super Dog! Hope she gets to come home tomorrow and before the rain hits! Sorry about your extended family. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Glad to hear the cookies won’t go to waist. Writing? What’s that? Okay, my five:
1. I’m out of bed. I spent most of Wednesday afternoon and pretty much all of yesterday in bed. I had an allergic reaction to a topical gel and the whole lower right quandrant of my face swelled to about 5 times it’s normal size. Ice, ibuprofen, acetomeniphen, and antihistimins finally took care of it. Mostly. Still a little swelling but I can talk and look mostly normal. Well, normal for me, anyway.
2. I did write a few hundred words. Nothing spectacular, but new words.
3. I’m judging a speech contest tonight for the American Legion, hence me wanting to look fairly normal.
4. The good news is, I’ve lost about 6 pounds this week due to a mostly liquid diet. Sadly, it will all come back once I start eating.
5. Jake had a couple of shining moment a Wallyworld on Tuesday. First, he picked out a man with a portable oxygen machine who was also a veteran, and tugged on his leash. The man had stopped to admire so I said He could pet. Second, we were at the self-check at our fav station–it’s in a corner so I can put him “down-stay” out of the way. The main gal was training a newby and she pointed out that Jake was a true service dog and that the newbie should judge all “alleged” service dogs by his standard. Jake got lots of pets from Miss Joy once we’d finished checking out.
And that’s my five. Trying to catch up on all the stuff I missed yesterday! Have a great weekend.
January 29th, 2021 at 4:46 pm · Link
Internet issues. Will write tomorrow. Happy about Maggie.
January 29th, 2021 at 4:59 pm · Link
Yay for Maggie! I totally get not writing this week. :hugs: Bummer about your cookies – I hate when that happens. I’m sorry to hear about your family member :additional hugs: I just saw on FB that a chunk of CA was gonna get a swamping, and I’d hoped you weren’t in there. =o(
1) Trying to get life back to some semblance of normal.
2) I picked up Kira’s ashes today. She’s on a bookshelf now, on her favorite fuzzy scarf she always loved to sleep with, surrounded by her favorite toys.
3) Tomorrow we’ll be heading northwest to the animal shelter to donate all her food, toys she never really liked, and other stuff. We have no plans to come home with another pet.
4) I snagged the last half gallon of eggnog ice cream at the store this morning. Until next Christmas.
5) I think I’ll get offline now and go work in the yard or something. It’s the last nice day for a little bit and I’d better use it or I’ll spend another afternoon sitting on my buns, growing steadily larger.
January 29th, 2021 at 6:44 pm · Link
Hi Shonna, thanks! Maggie’s home and doing well so far.
January 29th, 2021 at 6:49 pm · Link
Silver, LOL it was raining when we brought Maggie home. But my daughter in law brought her right to the car, so she’s the hero today. Maggie’s learning to cope with the cone…it’s a process
1) YIKES that’s one heck of an allergic reaction. I assume you’re breathing was okay. I’m so sorry. I hope you recover to completely normal very fast.
2) Well considering your allergic reaction that’s very good!
3) Are you sure you’re up to judging tonight?
4) Wow, you’ve really had a rough week. I hope you’re back to eating normally again, and feeling better overall.
5) Jake is amazing and so is his trainer! It takes really skill and patience as well as a smart and motivated dog. You two are a super duo! Good Boy Jake!
I hope you have a good weekend.
January 29th, 2021 at 6:51 pm · Link
Viki, that has to be so frustrating. Maggie’s doing well, I think. She’s tired and as I’ve said everything now, frustrated by the cone. We’re glad to have her home.
January 29th, 2021 at 6:59 pm · Link
B.E., thanks, and yep, we’re in the rain, but it should move out soon.
1) It’s going to take time to feel normal.
2) I bet she loves being on her favorite scarf. I hope having the ashes brings you comfort, but I imagine there’s a lot of grief in there too. It’s just hard.
3) You know how much I love that your donating Kira’s food and toys. Wizard is going to donate the canned food Maggie can no longer eat (she’s on special food now), but that’s not the same thing. It just made me think of you when he suggested it (We have 10 cans, LOL)? We’ll see on if you come home with an animal I’m thinking not yet…unless there’s just that one you can’t leave without.
5) Enjoy the nice day! Well the day is nearly over now, so hope you enjoyed the nice day outside.
Have a good weekend.
January 30th, 2021 at 11:45 am · Link
Hey Jenn. I hope Maggie is beginning to feel a bit better. Being home must give her comfort.
Now the five –
1. What kind of food will Maggie have to switch to to prevent future issues?
2. Doing other stuff related to your books is just as important as writing. They need to be done so that you put out the product that you want out there. So good job.
3. Sorry the cookies were a disappointment. It really stinks when you’re anticipating a great treat and it fails.
4. Very sorry to hear that you have a family member with Covid. We had an extended member (our eldest son’s biological mom’s husband’s dad – I know we are one strange family but we all get along.) die 2 weeks ago from Covid.
5. Staying home sounds like the best idea. Maggie can have all of your attention ;).
1a. Hubs phone started freezing with FaceTime 2 weeks ago. The screen was never un-frozen as of 3 days ago. Harrison could hear him but that was it. My phone was fine. All tests showed real issues other than our slow (20Mb) internet. Yesterday hubs finally agreed to bite the bullet and pay more for an upgrade. I spent the entire day working on his phone issues and then the internet. Was finally up and running around 6:30. Harrison was SO happy. Note: This upgrade would never have happened if FaceTime hadn’t failed hubs. Yes, we are very cheap ;).
2a. Monday my mom and step-dad had their first shot for Covid. They are in a tiny village in western NY and the local pharmacy was able to give it to them. Funny how the rest of NY and the big chains are a great big fail!
3a. I have hubs signed up everywhere to get in line for the vaccine on Feb 8th. He can make an appointment with the first distributor for the 9th.
4a. I have been giving Spunk coconut oil every morning and I think it is helping with the fur balls that he never coughs up. I’m so afraid he’ll have a blockage.
5a. I made brownies the other day and hubs has eaten all but three ;). He’s so funny. I had to cut him back when he wanted a third brownie yesterday.
I hope you three have a good weekend just staying together.
January 30th, 2021 at 12:42 pm · Link
Viki, right now we have Maggie on this: Hill’s Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food It’s a prescription dog food, which is a big weird. We have some treats in that brand too. She loves it. Then once the analysis of the stones come back, we will change it if need be. These stones were large and we are grateful she didn’t end up having a perforation.
Now for your five:
1) We’re cheap too, LOL. I hear a lot of people had to upgrade their internet once the pandemic pushed everyone into communicating by zoom or facetime. And of course hubs was willing to spend more a month to chat with Harrison.
2) Wow, that’s great news that your mom and step dad were able to get the shot at a pharmacy. It’s really tough to get it here–unless you have connections. I’m striving for patience since its a massive undertaking to vaccinate a population as large as the U.S.
3) Hope your hubs can get it soon.
4) I’d be afraid of hair ball obstruction too. It happens. It’s smart to be proactive. (I have no idea of coconut oil works, but I’m sure you researched it).
5) Wizard would do that too! Especially with brownies.
Yay for getting your internet and hub’s phone issue resolved, but I know it took up a huge amount of time. Hope you can relax and have some fun this weekend!