Friday, April 2nd, 2021
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week:
- April is filled with appointments and I’m just scratching the surface of things I need to catch up on after the Covid shutdown. I made Maggie’s dental appointment and am relived about that because it’s been a couple years since her last one. Small breed dogs have a lot of problems with their teeth. In this case, preventative care really is worth the money, time and risk of anesthesia. We originally planned to do it at the beginning of this year, but Maggie’s bladder stones threw us a curveball. We’ve renamed Maggie — Maggie Money Pit this year She’s not amused.
- I’ve also scheduled my eye and dental appointments. Both of those are after my second shot, but overall I feel pretty safe with the protocols in place. My bank card, however, doesn’t feel safe from the price tag of new glasses, LOL.
- Wizard and I have never had “real” bedroom furniture. I have my parents old beat up dresser and two round particle board tables with cheap tablecloths as nightstands. Today we began looking for a dresser and nightstands that actually match and look decent. We found something we like, but will we buy it? I mean it’s been three and a half decades and we haven’t done it yet. What if we’re rushing into the decision?????
- We’ve begun real spring cleaning by washing all the upstairs windows and screens. We’ll do the downstairs next week. After that, I’ll get the blinds all dusted, then it’s carpet cleaning–I even ordered the detergent stuff for the carpet cleaning machine. We’ll get it all done in small chunks. My regular cleaning is getting ignored while we do all this other stuff.
- I sent a letter to terminate my gym membership. For me, that’s the last place I’m comfortable returning to this year since it wasn’t particularly clean before Covid. I can rejoin later, or maybe try something else. For the last few weeks, I’ve been using bands and progressing very slowly with mild strength training. I’m also adding in an occasional beginning Yoga class that focuses on body alignment and active muscle engagement which is key to strength and balance–something I want to maintain as time goes on. We’ll see how it goes.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
April 2nd, 2021 at 7:14 am · Link
Poor Maggie. Pets certainly can be a money-pit sometimes. Especially for conscientious owners. :hugs: Yay for finally being able to attend to some things! Boo for the expense. LOL about your furniture. Your bedroom sounds like our office – old but still useful. Right there with you on the spring cleaning. Good for you on the gym thing and finding new ways to keep yourself fit!
1) Like I said, right there with ya on the cleaning. Every day for the past week, I’ve either been cleaning or gardening – some days both. The only cleaning thing left on my written to-do list is windows. (I have more on my mental to-do list – like washing floors. Ugh.)
2) I am unprepared for Easter on Sunday. Not that we really do anything anyway, since it’s just the two of us, but I usually at least do a big meal. This year? Stouffer’s Chicken and Rice Bake.
3) I started my container garden. Tomatoes, lettuce, and carrots are all started in pots and sitting by the windows in the garage. This weekend, I’ll start some zucchini. :fingers crossed:
4) While I was weeding, I rescued two tiny cedar trees and put them in pots. We’ll see if they grow. If they do, they’ll go on the north side to [provide some extra break between us and the new house.
5) I’ve also been busy this week with writerly business type stuffs – getting Duke into paperback form, updating other print covers, etc. I need to work on getting the last four un-paperbacked books into that format this weekend. Fun fun.
Have a great weekend, too!
April 2nd, 2021 at 9:44 am · Link
What B.E. said about your five. LOL My five:
1. I need to find someone with a 3D printer who can make me a silicone “skin” cover for the new keyboard. I’ve had no luck finding one pre-made. My SyranWrap fix makes it hard to see the letters/labels on the keys and I “rip” though even 2 layers and putting tape over the holes just adds to it. Also, the shrink wrap was not a solution. At least it was cheap. LOL
2. Today should have been yesterday. I emptied the feral cat food container this morning and went to the garage to refill from the big sack. Long story, but I dumped a bunch in the floor.
3. Today Should Have Been Yesterday Part 2: Believe it or not, we don’t always finish off a pot of coffee (or a 2nd pot). I save the leftovers in the fridge and when I have a pot-full, I heat it up in my whistling kettle on the stove. While pouring from the kettle to the thermal pot, I managed to slosh 180 degree coffee across my right fingers. Hit them with cold water immediately. Followed by hydrogen peroxide (also cold and helps cool tissue), then the aloe vera burn gel. Still, 2nd degree burns…burn. Cold packs for the win.
4. In the midst of this caffeine-deprived haze, I got 500 words written on a short novella that’s part of a Christmas anthology that isn’t due until NOVEMBER. Unlike a whole host of other books whose characters are stoically silent. Grrr.
5. In other WIP news, I have a title and a mock-up of the cover for the Penumbra Papers book. I’m getting closer. I plan to work seriously today and over the weekend around the 1st Saturday events–Pancakes at the Post and lunch with the Kids at Alvarados. No siren test for me. Words first!
Happy Easter and have a wonderful weekend, everyone! 🥰
April 2nd, 2021 at 3:22 pm · Link
1. Poor Maggie “the money pit” 😄. You are a very good “mom” making sure that her teeth are taken care of. Isn’t it crazy the troubles smaller dogs have with their teeth?
2. Good thing booking your appointments now. With everyone getting vaccinated I think there will be a mad rush. I have to schedule an eye and TMJ appointment for after my second shot.
3. Hope you get the matching bedroom furniture. I had a matching set when I married hubs but his bed was bigger so we’ve been like you for the past 30+ years 😜.
4. Nice job on spring cleaning. I keep looking at my windows, oh man are they BAD.
5. I’m surprised you had kept your gym membership this past year. With the lockdown I figured you couldn’t go. I like the fitness plan you have decided on.
1a. Keith (furnace dude) got here Wednesday afternoon. The house had been 57F for days and even I was getting chilly. The sensor had something rattling inside of it. He fixed it and we have heat. Good thing too since it was 22F yesterday morning with wind chill 14F and 5 inches of snow. We should be back up to the lower 60’s Sunday.
2a. We’re going to Harrison’s to drop off an Easter present tomorrow afternoon. Because I’ve only had one shot, I must stay outside. It’s not supposed to rain or snow so I should be okay.
3a. Went to ALDI to try and get Spunk a kitty condo they had on sale but they sold them all out the first day. Poor Spunk :(.
4a. After this afternoon at 1 PM I’ve decided there are very few humans left and monsters have taken over .
5a. I haven’t made rice krispy treats in 22 years but I saw a box of the cereal with pastel color krisps and have decided to make them tomorrow. I know Harrison’s dad loves them!
Have a really wonderful weekend and Happy Easter!
April 2nd, 2021 at 5:45 pm · Link
B.E., pets can be expensive for sure. We’ve done this dance on bedroom furniture so many times it’s pretty much a joke. Somehow we always find a reason not to buy.
1) You’ve gotten a good start on your spring cleaning!
2) I’m right there with you on Easter. I knew it was coming…but it’s also Wizard’s birthday so I’m more focused on that I guess. Plus we’re staying home, so we’re just pleasing ourselves with Ribs and maybe a bottle of wine. I hope you guys enjoy your chicken and rice bake. Given your awesome baking track record, I’m guess you either have something on hand, or will bake something
3) I bet all your container plants to do great! You have been doing a lot!
4) How cool that you “found” to cedar trees like that. Great find.
5) I’m tried reading all you’ve accomplished Seriously, you’re on a roll! Hope you can get a lot of the formatting and business tasks done!
Enjoy the Easter weekend!
April 2nd, 2021 at 5:53 pm · Link
1) I’m curious, why do you want the cover? To stop from typing off the letters or because to make it more comfortable to type on? I believe you’d said the keyboard is a little smaller than you’re used too.
2) Oops! Sorry for the feral food mishap, but I’m still trying to figure out why today should have been yesterday, LOL
3) Ouch!! So I saw that coming as soon as you said you saved the coffee and cringed. It hurts, and now you have to protect that area because the only thing nastier than a burn is an infection in the burn. I hope it stops hurt (ice or at least cool compresses as much as you can) and heals quickly. Also, I didn’t know you could use hydrogen peroxide on a burn. I always cool the burn with water, then go for ice pack wrapped in a thin dish towel. I did a bad one with right off the stove melted caramel once and I really feel for you.
4) I’m amazed you wrote 500 words! And I feel your pain on silent characters, mine are doing a bit better but I’m afraid to believe, LOL. I need to learn to switch projects like you.
5) I’m happy to hear how far along your getting on the Penumbra Papers!
Have a great Easter weekend!
April 2nd, 2021 at 6:03 pm · Link
Viki, exactly on the appts. I have to wait longer than I want to on my eyes, and am hoping my last pair of contracts lasts As for the gym, they weren’t charging me since it was closed, but now it’s partially reopened so I had to make a decision.
1) You got the furnace fixed in the nick of time!
2) Glad you get to see Harrison, but sorry you have to stay outside.
3) I’m sad for Spunk. He’d have loved that kitty condo. But you’re a great mom for trying! I never make those deals unless I stumble onto them by sheer accident.
4) I’m assuming you mean the attack at the Capitol. Its so tragically sad. One officer dead, and the other one hurt Plus we had another shooting here in CA and I’m tired of people who think killing and hurting others is the answer.
5) Harrison’s dad is going to be so thrilled that you made the colored Rice Krispy treats, and I’m betting Harrison will love them too. What a great grandma you are! (I’m not doing anything with Turbo this year–it’s just a timing thing and I’m sure his parents are okay with it
Hope you guys all have a great Easter weekend!
April 3rd, 2021 at 10:02 am · Link
Hydrogen peroxide cools like alcohol does but doesn’t sting. It’s just a quick way to slow down the burning. And yes, ice packs for most of the day. Fingers are a little red and I’ll have one blister so not bad.
As for the “skin” for the keyboard, it’s mainly to keep the letters etc. from rubbing off. Also, these keys are a little bit…slicker(?) than my old one. The skin would help that part but it’s mainly so I can read what key is what. Not that I don’t mainly have them memorized but the older I get the more help my brain needs.
Have a wonderful weekend! Oh, and “should have been yesterday” refers to April Fool’s Day. The Universe saved the “pranks” for Friday.
April 3rd, 2021 at 10:50 am · Link
Also, it’s to keep coffee, cat hair, and snack crumbs out. LOLOL