I had such big plans to write a weekly business-opinion blog. But there’s only one of me and too many ideas and tasks to possibly get done. I think there’s an important lesson in that, though. We can have lots of ideas, but when its time to get serious about the work we need to:
- Prioritize the best or most executable ideas and discard or adjust the rest. Find the ideas you love and can craft a compelling story around. Easier said than done, sure, but do it anyway. So for Wednesday’s blog–I’m adjusting my expectations and writing what I can, when I can, so I can focus on my main business priority–writing Primal Magic
- And then focus on those ideas and do the work. Just. Do. It. Which is another way of saying, “Hold your nose and write the crappy first draft.” I’m even thinking about taking my own advice here
- Don’t be distracted by pretty, shiny things that, for me, come in the form of…everything in the known universe, LOL! Shut out the world you live in and live in the world you’re striving to create.
- Remember that, as writers/artists, we are our most valuable commodity. I want to stress this. All the things we create, they come from us. We–our mind, body and spirit–are the commodity.
- Reward ourselves when we do the work. Maybe it’s a bit of chocolate, a couple chapters in the book you’re reading, a glass of wine–whatever. Rewards help us appreciate ourselves.
- Forgive ourselves when we make mistakes. There aren’t many quicker paths to a nasty case of Writer’s Block than being too hard on ourselves. Trust me on this–I have set myself up for that crazy-making type of writer’s block way too many times in the last few years.
And that’s my thoughts for the day. As always, I love when you all jump in and share yours.
April 14th, 2021 at 11:42 am · Link
1. Okay, if I have to.
3. Squirrel! And oh, hell yeah.
4. Totally, and we shouldn’t forget it!
5. Maybe. Rewards yes, but sometimes, you need to push through to “an” end before you get the reward.
6. Again, totally. I have less trouble with this one. I know my first draft is going to be down and dirty, and mostly bare. Second draft gets the fun and frolic and the pretty-shinys. Third draft gets all the “Oops! I didn’t mean to do that” fixes. Final draft gets the editor/betas/proofreaders.
I’ll add that the thing that derails me fastest is getting wrapped up in the stupid stuff that goes on in real life, especially in these times. I’m trying to ignore the stupid people in the news and who cross my path and concentrate on the good folks who have my back. Some days, it’s easier to get lost in my imagination which totally ties in with your #3. I need to just pack my bags and move into the world I’m writing. I have control there. Usually. And I can kill the stupid people with no regrets or fear of retribution. and also
Anyway, since I’m still banned at FB, think of all the extra time I have to write now! Good topic today. Now I’m going to head to Paris so Sade can get all bent out of shape over Sinjen and go hunting. Be vewy, vewy qwiet, she’s hunting dwagons…
April 14th, 2021 at 5:13 pm · Link
Silver, I agree with you., The last few years, the real world has intruded too much on my writing world. It’s a serious distraction and one I’m working on ignoring unless I can do something constructive.
I’m trying to do the three drafts like you, but my first draft always turns into quicksand, LOL.
I’m so sorry you’re dealing with the FB ban, and upset for you. It’s happening to a bunch of authors–I think in the last couple months, I’ve seen 10 or so go through this. Another friend had her account hacked and she was locked out. it’s crazy and maddening. I hope you can quickly get it resolved. FB is not the place it once was.
Hope your week gets better!
April 14th, 2021 at 5:58 pm · Link
Again, this is an excellent post and can relate to all aspects of our lives.
Got my second shot. We’ll see how it goes.
Have a great evening!
April 14th, 2021 at 6:16 pm · Link
Viki, thanks. I was thinking of you today. Glad you got the second shot, and crossing my fingers that you have no, or a mild, reaction.