Friday, August 13th, 2021
TGIF! Where is time going this year? I can’t seem to keep up! Okay, time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I have green nails that glow in the dark I haven’t taken a picture yet, but they are pretty cool.
- I went to a big box hobby store yesterday and bought a few things to attempt to teach myself fondant work (for cake decorating). I’m starting with flowers and butterflies, and it’s going to be hilarious since I have no natural artistic ability. I’m strictly a paint-by-numbers-with-step-by-step directions type. But it’s all just for fun.
- I’ve been keeping up with my yoga practice. I usually do it three or four times a week.
- Yesterday I prepped enchiladas so that Wizard could pop them in the oven while I was getting my nails done (by my talented daughter in law!). That went great, but when I tried to pour out the cooled from frying tortillas, I missed the can and spilled vegetable oil onto my counter and floors. That was a joy to clean up, but I got the job done. Yay me!
- Then I realized my cleaning spray bottle was nearly empty. I popped the top off, refilled it without spilling any and locked the top back into place. Except the top didn’t lock…when I picked it up, the lid came off and the full bottle of cleaner fell. But I caught it with no spills!!! I was so impressed with myself until about an hour or two later when I realized that someone in the process of catching that bottle, I managed to some tweak my bad shoulder. It’ll be fine, but how do I even do this stuff??? I couldn’t recreate that scene if I tried.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
August 13th, 2021 at 6:11 am · Link
Yay for pretty nails! Yay for fun with fondant! Yay for keeping up with your yoga! Yay for enchiladas and a handy Wizard! Boo for spills on the floor and for tweaking your shoulder trying to prevent another spill. Yay for catching the bottle, though. Go you!
1) The other day I was getting a jug of beverage out of the fridge when it slipped, hit the floor between my feet and managed to bounce into both ankles. Bruises on both sides. Tada!
2) I’ll be making zucchini bread today using a zucchini I grew from seeds and then fostered over at the neighbors’ so it would have a chance at making babies. Yay!
3) I’m pretty sure I bit off more than I can chew with this fantasy thing, but I’m having fun working with it, so I guess it’ll get done eventually.
4) Hopefully, by the time it’s done, I’ll either have the money or the skills to get a cover done that’s worthy of the book.
5) Between the heat and the lack of rain, I’m out watering my gardens again. Every day for the containers, every other day for the in-ground. I’m counting it as exercise when I do them all because pulling the hose all over the yard is a workout. ;o)
August 13th, 2021 at 7:59 am · Link
What B.E. said, and also, cake decorating places TOTALLY need templates for people to use. Just sayin’! Okay, my five:
1. Stormy has been here several times this week and he and his Big Daddy are big buds. They’ve also been reading an hour a day. Yesterday, though, they had a real conundrum! Jammie was called in to help. Stormy had a new book to read and it was THICK. Flipping through it, they found Chapter 6. Then more towards the middle of the book, they found Chapter 4. Freaked them out. LG got on the computer to check the author’s site, FB, etc. Then the publisher’s. I flipped through the pages and found THREE chapter 4s. And THREE chapter 6s. Each in the correct place for the book they were attached to. It was a compendium volume of all three of the nice author’s books. 🤦🏼♀️ Yeah…I just walked away, lips firmly pressed shut.
2. Last night was the Field of Dreams Major League baseball game between the Yankees and the White Sox. It’s been THIRTY YEARS since the movie came out. Yikes! LG and I looked at each other and said simultaneously “We’re soooo old!” I teared up as the teams came out of the cornfield onto the playing field. White Sox led through most of the game, Yankees went up by one in the top of the 9th, and with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, the White Sox hit a two-run walk-off homerun for the win. It was a totally movie-worthy finish.
3. Writing has been more hit than miss but I am managing a few new words each day. Beats the alternative. If this keeps up, I may have to finish all the sorting/throwing away in the old office and then hit a couple of other trouble spots. C’mon, Iffy! Do your job, Muse!
4. I’ve had a few (or maybe the same one) red finches as the feeder outside the window. She likes to cling to the chain but she’s not really big enough to reach the grain. She does occasionally feed at the other “closed” feeder but for some reason, she eally liks the chains. I filled that feeder fuller and smooshed the grain closer and higher to one of the chains. I’ll watch to see if it helps.
5. And finally, my Dictionary.com word of the day totally fits your #4 and #5! ambisinister [ am-bi-sin-uh-ster ] – adjective: clumsy or unskillful with both hands.
Boring week, which isn’t bad, unless I’m trying to be entertaining with awesome randomness here. LOLOL OH! Happy Friday the 13th. You know, in case you didn’t realize.
Have a good weekend, all!
August 13th, 2021 at 2:57 pm · Link
1. Glow in the dark nails are cool. Hope she does them for you again at Halloween :).
2. Good idea for practicing with fondant before trying it on the cakes. I’m sure you’ll do great.
3. It’s fantastic that you do yoga 4 times a week. I wish I had flexibility.
4/5. I can see both happening to me too. I’m glad you were able to get it all cleaned up and not make another spill.
1a. It’s been so humid here. Yesterday I swear you could cut through the air.
2a. We’ve had big storms roll through almost every day except today. People are without power all over due to trees and lines being down. Harrison’s house was one of them Wed/Thurs. They got power back Thursday afternoon but all the refrigerator and half the box freezer food had to be tossed.
3a. Who can fall backwards over the open dishwasher door because they were stretching trying to put something away? Yes, ME! Am I hurt? Yes. Of course it’s my bad arm too. I nailed the elbow, upper and lower arm but I didn’t hit my head :). I’m making use of Silver’s word of the day too – ambisinister.
4a. Our nice dinner is tomorrow at a place on the river. We’re all looking forward to it.
5a. I need to clean windows. With all the rail they are a true mess.
Have a great weekend!
August 13th, 2021 at 6:14 pm · Link
B.E., thanks on all
1) Yikes that must of hurt! Hope the bruises heal quickly.
2) That should make some awesome zucchini bread.
3) Fantasy is like paranormal that way–they can morph into monster books. Hang in there!
4) All the production costs of books have gone way up. If you can make covers your happy with, that’s a definite plus.
5) Sounds like exercise to me!
Hope you have a good weekend and enjoy your zucchini bread!
August 13th, 2021 at 6:30 pm · Link
Silver, I know right? I can print templates though. I have two ideas for my weekend cake, but first I have to see if the actually cake turns out
1) ROTFL!!! I know you didn’t laugh because of Stormy…but that’s some real restraint. On the other hand, if they didn’t know ahead of time it was I can see why they were confused.
2) It’s amazing when real life imitates the good parts of beloved movies! Glad you got to experience it with your team!
3) I love how you’re threatening your muse with more cleaning and organizing if she doesn’t get busy.
4) Maybe she likes the shine on the chain???
5) LOL! That’s a great word for me! Especially on days like that.
You’re not boring and randomness is always welcome. Hope you have a great weekend!
August 13th, 2021 at 6:39 pm · Link
Viki, thanks. Yoga is helping me, but I may have to skip a few days to rest my shoulder. Annoying but not really a big deal since my shoulders 50% better today.
1) Humidity like that is miserable.
2) So sorry about the storms and Harrison’s family losing power for that long. I hope it stays on now. The humidity and storms need to leave.
3) Oh wow, that sound like a pretty bad fall. And it’s always our bad side or limb that gets hurt. The only reason I haven’t fallen over my dishwasher is my cupboards are on one side of it. Otherwise I could overbalance like that when I’m not paying enough attention. Hope you feel better soon!
4) This is your birthday dinner, right? I hope you have a very special birthday!!
5) Rain makes a mess of windows.
Hope you have a great weekend and Happy Birthday!!