Friday, September 17th, 2021
TGIF and Happy Friday! Let’s jump into sharing five random things about our week.
- My web guru did a major cleanup on my site a few weeks ago, and the blog scheduler was working great for weeks. Then it stopped this week. It’s has to be trolls trying to aggravate me.
- Poor Maggie reneged on our deal. I told her that if she didn’t lick her wound (from the abscess that pretty much burst open–it’s not pretty), I wouldn’t put her in the cone of shame. She wouldn’t do it in front of me, or if she started too, all I had to say was “Don’t do it,” and she’d stop. However I can’t watch her every minute, and the wound is driving her nuts. So yesterday I went to Petsmart and bought the dreaded cone of shame. It had to be done.
- Maggie, for all her sweetness, isn’t dumb. It only took her a couple hours to figure out how to pop it off. That dog went up to my room, found a spot between a chair and a wall and rubbed it until it unsnapped and fell off. Then she trotted downstairs a happy girl. It took everything I had NOT TO LAUGH. I mean, kudos to her for figuring it out. However, I raised 3 boys so yeah, the cone is back and this time I locked that sucker down. We’ll see what happens. We are keeping this cone on her only as long as absolutely necessary and I’m not super stressed about it. The good news is it’s a fairly small cone and not as miserable as the one she had to wear after surgery to remove the bladder stones.
- So it’s been a week. The car accident and problems with that, Maggie’s abscess, vet issues, a bunch of other crap and then Tuesday around the stroke of midnight, the smoke alarm malfunctioned. Wizard and I both knew what it was, but the trick was finding which freaking smoke alarm it was. We have 5 of them upstairs, one in each bedroom and the hallway. So both of us are running from room to room tying to ascertain which one is trying to make our brains bleed. Finally we found it, and I ran downstairs to get the step stool. Maggie was in her kennel, laying down with her head resting on her paws, watching me with an expression that I can only describe as, Humans are idiots. She’s not wrong.
- If Maggie’s doing okay, then I’m going to go see Turbo and his parents on Sunday while Wizard is racing. But I’m playing that by ear. If I stay home, maybe I can concentrate on writing.
So that’s my five random things and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
September 17th, 2021 at 8:42 am · Link
Poor Maggie, smart Maggie, Maggie the Magnificent. Hope that darn abscess heals fast! LOL on the Keystone Kops smoke alarm routine. Been there, done that. Ugh on your website. *knocks wood* I’ve had very little trouble with my DIY wordpress site. Hope you get some Turbo and/or writing time this weekend! My five:
1. Stormy got two hits and an RBI in last night’s game. Yay. As it was the early game, we all hit our fave Mexican restaurant up near the Kids’ house and then Stormy came home with us to spend the night. Teacher In-Service training day. He’s out, Baseball Boy is in. BB will pick him up tonight after the high school football game.
2. On the way home, Stormy and his Big Daddy were talking about the stoplights up there, with LG complaining how messed up they are. Stormy agreed, saying, “They are horrendous!” I died. Right there. The kid is SEVEN!
3. I got some words in this week. Not many, but some. Better than nothing and there are some good scenes sketeched out to expand on so I count that as a yay.
4. I got another section cleared, sorted, and cleaned in my office. I’m stuck on clearing out the closet and some of the tubs under the drafting table. It’s all Only stuff and I don’t want to just toss or donate without her checking and her life is crazy at work right now, plus dealing with BB and Stormy. I also hate to just move it all to what used to be the dump room (my old office in the Florida room) because it’s actually functional now and sticking all that stuff in there will render it useless. Ah well. Guess I’ll start on one of my bookcases. At least I have a workable floorplan now and am making some headway.
5. I shouldn’t complain about the weather. We’ve had a relatively mild summer despite what the national pundits are claiming about this being the hottest summer on record. Whatever. We only hit 100 a couple of times, despite the heat index which WAS over 100 more often. Anyway, our local weather gurus are saying a front is coming Monday night/Tuesday that will put our highs in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50s. I am soooo ready for Fall, which is my favorite season, weather-wise. That’s my happy note to end on–cooler weather is out there and coming soon.
Have a great weekend, witches! 🥰
September 17th, 2021 at 3:27 pm · Link
1. So sorry that the blog scheduler keeps messing up posting. Fingers crossed it behaves this coming week.
2. Poor Maggie! I felt so bad for her.
3. Maggie is one smart pup. Were you able to keep the cone one?
4. Why is it that the smoke detectors batteries always go dead at night? I can just picture Maggie’s face.
5. Sure hope you get to go have play time with Turbo!
1a. My mom’s surgery was yesterday. The Dr. said she did well.
2a. It took 6 attempts but I finally spoke with my mom this afternoon. She’s tired and in pain so she only talks a little while. They send her home after three days. My brother is trying to get her to go to rehab (which is paid for for 30 days with medicare) but she won’t. She will be home alone, not good. If she allows it, middle and I will go up there the end of the week. But you never know.
3a. Bad news on Julie. The tiny nodes in her lungs the Dr. first said were scars from chest illness in her younger days are cancer. They should know today if it is the bladder cancer that has spread or standard lung cancer. The chemo treatment will differ depending on the type of cancer.
4a. Hubs has to turn in his car next month and is trying to line up a new 2022. Problem is he can’t get all the bells and whistles because of the “chip” shortage.
5a. I’m off to pour a BIG glass of wine :).
Have a wonderful weekend!
September 17th, 2021 at 4:56 pm · Link
Silver, it’s odd as this is the only issue I’m having. Everything else works exactly as it should. I have only told my designer once, so that parts on me. Anyhow lets move on…
1) Storm is doing amazing at baseball! Hope you all had a fun sleepover.
2) Too funny! Kids really do say hilarious things.
3) It counts!
4) You’re nicer than us, LOL. As each kid bought their own house, we dumped their stuff off Hopefully you and Only can carve out time soon to go through it.
5) I’d love to see a little fall weather too. But I’m not really complaining either. We’ve cooled down enough to go without air for a few days and that’s a win.
Enjoy your weekend!
September 17th, 2021 at 5:03 pm · Link
Viki, so true on smoke alarms. Ours was from Wizard and youngest looking at it because we need to replace the mount. When they plugged it back in, the connection was tight enough and it slipped–in the middle of the night of course.
1) Good news that your mom came through the surgery okay.
2) I hope your mom will agree to go to rehab even for just a few days. She may feel weak enough to agree. You must be so worried.
3) Poor Julie. I’m so sorry and hope the news gets better. Chemo and radiation are so targeted that it really does matter what, where and which specific cells are involved. We have someone dealing with it too.
4) Ugh. Yeah, it’s a struggle to get those chips and various computer parts for cars, SUVs etc. A lot ships are waiting days just to offload at the port of Long Beach here in Cal. And that’s just one piece of the whole system. I’m sorry for hubs.
5) You deserve a big glass of wine!
I hope you have as good a weekend as possible with all the worry your shouldering.
September 17th, 2021 at 6:38 pm · Link
Sorry I’m late. Aww poor Maggie. And what a smart, if naughty, girl she is. Yay for Turbo time! Or writing time!
1) I am toast. It’s been a long week and it ain’t over yet. Tomorrow we begin moving stuff out of their garage and into an enclosed trailer for transport. It’s less than two weeks to moving day for them. :fingers crossed for them:
2) We have a set of twin fawns where one of them has lost all its spots and the other is still fairly spotty. I’ve never seen that before.
3) I got a neat handmade wooden thing to use as a plant stand for my container garden next year. Hubs stained it for me today while I was working. It’s so pretty now.
4) Yesterday after I got home from 6hrs of heaving and lifting stuff into a trailer to haul to the dump, I took a shower and was prancing around going ‘I’m such a goddess’. Then it caught up with me and I crashed from goddess to toad.
5) When they took the trailer to the dump today the junk in it weighed in at 2400 lbs. Tooting my own horn, but probably at least half of that was me. I am a goddess. But a tired and sore one.
Have a great weekend! :hugs:
September 17th, 2021 at 6:39 pm · Link
* half of that was stuff put there by me. Not actually me. LOL
September 19th, 2021 at 5:22 pm · Link
B.E., what a week for you!
1) That’s a lot of work.
2) Interesting, and the fawns must be so cute.
3) That’s sounds awesome for your container garden!
4) You are most definitely a goddess! You earned your tired!
5) WOW!! That’s a lot of lifting and heaving! And LOL–I gathered you meant put there by you, not actually you, LOL.
Hope you got some rest after all that!