Friday, October 15th, 2021
TGIF! Let hop right into sharing five random things about our week;
- It was a generally frustrating week for a few reasons.
- My computer starting running slow yesterday online. I’m trying to figure out if it’s the internet or my browser. I’m going to tackle that again today. If it’s the browser, that’s all fixable. My McAfee assures me all is well there, but of course, things can slip through that protection. And my computer is old, so we’ll see.
- The community mailbox on our street was broken into, so we all have to pick up our mail at the post office. I went this week to grab our mail, and when I came out I passed two sheriffs on horseback. It was both cool and funny. I have so many questions…my first being where the blazes are they keeping those horses? I’ve been to the police station (both police and sheriff work out of there) and have not seen a stable. That particular day had been a run around stress day, and that one moment of walking by the two officers on gorgeous horses made me smile. I’m going to assume these are happy, well adjusted horses who like their job. They weren’t shying or showed obvious signs of distress as cars and the usual city noises flowed around them. But I’m inexperienced with horses so I’m not a good judge, but still…they seemed happy enough to me.
- We’ve tried and tried to find toys Maggie likes. She’ll play for less than a minute then stop. I finally found something she likes a bit more — a puppy chew bone that’s rubbery. She only chews on it a few minutes, but that’s like 10 times longer than the other toys, and it turns up in different places in the house so she carries it around. This makes me weirdly happy. One day I’ll find something non-edible she she flat out loves (besides me, LOL)!
- Last I heard, we’re having Turbo and his mom and dad over this weekend to celebrate Special K’s birthday. She wants ribs and lemon cake, and I’m looing forward to that.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
October 15th, 2021 at 7:41 am · Link
Sorry for the frustrations! Ugh on the thieves and computers. Yay-hay for Deputy Horses! Most departments will have a stable and K-9 training area seperate. Sometimes the dogs are kenneled there with the horses. Sometimes, officers take their animal partners home with them. Jake and Loki are much for toys either. They don’t seem to miss the experience. 🤷🏼♀️ Yay for Turbo Time™, happy b-day Special K and enjoy the ribs! Okay, my 5.
1. Crazy weather this week. We had another storm blow through around midnight last night. 70 mph straight winds in some areas. We came through with just heavy rain. We needed the rain so that’s a yay.
2. Temps are down to stay, it looks like. I stripped down the bed, moved the mattress so that the head is now the foot (it’s a pillow top so can’t “flip” it like we did Old Skool mattresses. Winter linens are now in place and the AC is officially off.
3. Stormy came for the day yesterday. Fall break but his dad had to be at school for conferences so we got play time. He and Big Daddy played catch, he read for an hour, and the three of us played Baby Yoda/Mandalorian Monopoly.
4. Frustrating week on the writing front. I hit another snag in the plot with switching out characters. Note to self: Reread the entire book before sitting down to revise so that there’s a plan. Or something. I’d planned on doing a lot of that yesterday but…Stormy! Today’s not starting much better because…
5. Dogs REALLY wanted out at 6 a.m. I got up, turned on the outside light (switch is in the kitchen), walked through the Florida room to the back door, opened it and suddenly, Boone is down, Jake is having a fit, and there’s a whiff of skunk in the air. (Boone’s back legs and hips give him problems and he’ll fall and often need help getting his feet back under him so he can stand.) I finally saw the rather large skunk behind one of the trees. Jake wisely stopped barking and moved away so he could rub his face in the sand. I got Boone mostly situated, his back to the tree and fence, and the skunk scutted away between the wooden fence and the cinder block retaining wall. Considering we were all like 3 feet apart, it could have been a big disaster! I credit the skunk for showing a great deal of restraint and surrendering the field of battle. Still, there’s a hint skunk in the air and the house. I’m taking steps. This is another morning where’s there’s not enough coffee in the world. Luckily, the dogs missed most of the spray so betweens antiseptic wipes and skunk spray, I shouldn’t have to bathe them. We’ll see.
That was my week. I’m hoping for a quiet weekend of revisions, cool temps, college football and the baseball playoffs even though I don’t have a dog in that fight. Sorry the Giants lost. That was a heckava game last nigth! TGIF, witches!
October 15th, 2021 at 7:45 am · Link
Okay, I obviously have skunk brain. Jake and Loki AREN’T much for playing with toys. Also, I meant to add that patrol horses are all kinds of awesome. They’re calm, easy-going, but not afraid to get into the middle of stuff if there’s a problem. I love the mounted patrols in New Orleans French Quarter and New York’s Times Square. They give me a happy!
October 15th, 2021 at 2:59 pm · Link
1. I am sorry your week has been so frustrating. I sure hope the weekend is better.
2. When my computer starts running slow my middle son goes in and finds stuff running in the background that should not be on. He generally deletes the stuff. Fingers crossed that you figured it out and fixed things.
3. Police horses are well trained to ignore the noise. The riders pretty much give them physical instructions and they follow them. How awful that the mailbox was broken into. I’ve often wondered about those things. I really like having my mail delivered in front of my house. When we lived in the suburb our box was on the house at the front door. That was great in the winter :).
4. Good luck in the the hunt for Maggie toys. Our furry children can be very picky.
5. That’s fantastic! Have a great time celebrating Special K’s birthday. She chose a great menu. I bet Turbo will love lemon cake too :).
1a. My week has just been busy. One of those where I always feel behind.
2a. My mom has been a royal …. She won’t allow anyone to help her and yet is all upset when nothing is right. With Bob dying and her cancer surgery many bills did not get paid. Most Bob had on auto pay and the credit card was the one compromised so it was shut down. She insists on paper bills and most companies won’t do that for her. It looks like she has her utilities, health but not dental insurance, and phone paid. She may be without her DISH. We’ll see.
3a. Harrison’s birthday was yesterday and when asked what he wanted for breakfast he said popcorn shrimp. He kills me. His parents took him to Legoland in Columbus and stopped for a nice dinner on the way home. The only place they could find with outdoor seating and screening (DIL insisted) was a VERY expensive steak place I had never heard of. The kid had Filet for dinner.
4a. Tomorrow I should be getting my hair done. It really needs a cut. The shape is gone.
5a. It’s supposed to finally get to falls temperatures this coming week. I think I’ll switch out my warm weather clothes for cold weather this Sunday.
Have a wonderful weekend!
October 15th, 2021 at 4:12 pm · Link
Silver, it really was a nice bright spot to my week to see the horses.
1) Wow twice in one week!
2) We have pillow tops too. Glad you’re ready for colder temps. It’s hot here today.
3) Sounds like a nice day with Stormy!
4) Revisions always have unintended consequences Hope you can figure out the solution soon.
5) That was an adventure! Skunks are so danged cute, but they sure pack a punch with their spray. Glad the dogs and you didn’t get a direct hit. But yeah, not how you want to start your day for sure! Also, I’m familiar with old dogs and their hips. I’m sorry Boone’s having to deal with it–it sucks when our bodies aren’t keeping up with our minds anymore.
Hope you have a great weekend! Wizard’s pretty sad about the Giants but he’s shaking it off today because life keeps going
October 15th, 2021 at 4:20 pm · Link
Viki, I got the computer sorted out today with a simple restart. It was definitely something in my preferred browser because Explorer worked fine. So at least something went right!
1) It’s not a good feeling when we feel like our whole week is trying to catch up.
2) I’m sorry you’re mom is having a hard time and isn’t willing to take help. So frustrating for you. I hope she’s healing okay.
3) Sounds like Harrison had a nice birthday! The popcorn shrimp for breakfast is funny–he knows his own mind! Filet for dinner is pretty snazzy, I hope he enjoyed every bite!
4) Hope you love the cut tomorrow!
5) It seems that fall is here
Hope you have a great weekend!