Friday, March 18th, 2022
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine!
- My computer is slowing. It’s old and I’m begging it to hold on for another year or two. We just bought tires yesterday and it’s been a wave of those kind of things lately.
- This weekend I decided to clean all the doors and the casing (molding around the doors). I’ve done this many times, but realized I hadn’t done it since my surgery. Evidently for a reason, LOL. I’m short, so this requires a lot of reaching over my head and my neck has filed a painful protest. It’s the close I’ve come to actually feeling the plate in my cervical spine. Anyhow, I’m perfectly fine, just cranky that I’m not 22 and full endless energy anymore. Thankfully I had been dusting and spot cleaning the doors, so this wasn’t terrible in that way. Just a heck of a lot work and now the doors are all clean, which feels awesome! If I keep doing this deep cleaning, I may go back to writing out of self preservation!
- I got a text from youngest with a picture of his dog, saying, “She (his dog) said you have to visit as soon as tax season is over.” I saw youngest just a few weeks ago, and I’ve texted or talked to him on the phone. But tax season sucks, and I give him (and oldest) space, because I know what deadlines are like. But this one little text made me so danged happy. It told me that he’s thinking of me even when he’s too busy to breathe. Sometimes all it takes is a little text, you know? I need to remember that too when I get lazy about communicating with family and friends.
- I made another Marshall (from PAW Patrol) that’s a little smaller yesterday. he came out okay, but not as good as I think I could do if I wasn’t wilting tired (my own fault). I think I’ll use him for the cake. I’m doing this cake as my grandson requested, not as I’d design it But what matters is that he likes it!
- This weekend is about Turbo’s birthday and normal life stuff.
So that’s my five and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
March 18th, 2022 at 11:31 am · Link
Can you do a clean-up/defrag of your computer hard drive to help it limp along? Ouch! Time to get a good, sturdy stepstool. Or a tall husband. You have the best kids! And youngest/BLB is the best of the lot. And yay for Turbo Time™! 🥰
1. Not sure if I mentioned to new feral who hangs out around the driveway. Evidently, the black cauldron inhabiting the front porch freak him out. He’s a little ginger/orange cat and I think he may have been dumped. He’s very vocal and once I started feeding him, he’s very affectionate and lets me pet. We had severe weather last night and I heard him meowing so I managed to get him into the garage. He’s still there–mainly because I haven’t opened the door. It’s still cold and yucky outside. He’s skittish now so I’ll have to work to get his trust back but hopefully, I can get him to a rescue. I’d keep him but…Loki and Boone. Jake wouldn’t care. I don’t think. Anyway…
2. Speaking of computer stuffs, this post popped up in my blog feed today. I’m not sure if it was just tired eyes on Wednesday or what exactly. Anyway, it’s definitely on my end, not yours. LOL
3. Several mornings in a row, I’ve awakened early and there’s a scene for the WIP right there on the tip of my brain. One morning, I fell back asleep but the germ of the scene was still there when I sat down to write. Since then, I’ve gone back to making notes, just in case. It’s a good feeling to get these “snippets.” Makes me think I’m on the right track.
4. I made my Secret Family Recipe Waffles this week for dinner Tuesday night. Along with eggs and thick bacon, for a yummy dinner. Sometimes breakfast is the best dinner.
5. Speaking of Stormy, he came over Monday and Tuesday while Only worked and Baseball Boy dealt with baseball games. His favorite lunch is a Big Daddy Dagwood–Texas toast, Miracle Whip, all-beef thick-cut bologna, American cheese, bologna, cheese, Miracle Whip, and Texas toast. Cut into quarters. And with Buffalo Wing Cheez-Its. His birthday is next week but the party is this Sunday, at a game arcade up in Guthrie. It’s a drive but we’ll make it. I’m looking for my ear plugs because…15 7-8 yos + gaming machines = lots of noise. LOL
Have a great weekend, all. I’m giving blood tomorrow. And getting birthday cards. LG bought all the presents. AND the wrappings. Who knew?
March 18th, 2022 at 2:28 pm · Link
1. I hope your computer holds out a while longer too. They are so expensive and right now with the chip shortages we’re not really getting the most up to date computers.
2. Oh no! I understand the desire to have a clean house but I am so sorry that you had to put yourself through so much pain. On the bright side, I bet it looks good :).
3. How sweet of BLB. Our boys always know how to brighten our days. He and eldest must be very stressed out right now and the fact that BLB took a little down time to send you that sweet text just proves you raised him right.
4. You know that Turbo is going to love Marshall no matter if he’s larger or smaller. He’s made by grandma and that makes him extra special.
5. I love the photo of Turbo that you posted. He really is a good looking young man. Happy Birthday James! You all have a fantastic time celebrating the big 4 🥰.
1a. I can’t wait for the weather to warm up a hair more and stabilize so I can clean windows. The winter grime is just too much.
2a. I’m really working on getting my arm to lift without lifting the shoulder but it is SO hard. Still very painful all the time.
3a. Eldest and wife are trying to dump as much of their stuff as possible before the move. Unfortunately, hubs is over there and keeps bringing it all here.
4a. I ended up giving 1/4 of the carrot cake to Harrison’s family and I froze another 1/4. I figure we can eat it on Easter😉.
5a. I made corned beef and cabbage yesterday and I was too cheap to pay $6/pound and bought the lesser $4/pound. I worried that it was going to be all fatty and nasty (I run into that before) but it was one of the best corned beefs I’ve ever cooked. With the prices of everything going crazy I am very happy this brisket was good.
I hope you have a fantastic weekend and the Turbo has a Super Duper 4th Birthday!
March 18th, 2022 at 6:57 pm · Link
Sorry I’m late. Bummer about the computer. I had to replace mine back in ’20. Bought a refurbished one for a fraction of the cost, if that helps you any. Ack, cleaning jag! Been there, done that, had the aches from it. I hope you skip that last part. Awesome that your son took a moment out of his busy schedule to text you. Yay for Turbo and his cake!
1) I am in edit hell.
2) Hubs and I are trying to decide the best way to prevent further yard erosion. Living on a hill definitely makes life interesting.
3) My baby elm tree, Elmer, has leaves! Yay he made it through winter in the garage.
4) Did I mention edit hell? Maybe I should’ve said ‘proofing hell’. Either way, it’s hell.
5) I found a website this week that shows you all the zip codes in a certain radius from other zips. It was for the pay-job. The office needed to put together a list. Finding that site made the whole thing way simpler than it was going to be. Yay.
March 18th, 2022 at 7:10 pm · Link
Silver, degragging the computer is a good idea. Wizard does it now and again, so I’ll mention it to him. Thanks! Yep we have two good step stools. I’m really just cranky that I get worn out faster than I once did when there’s so much more I want to do in day Now for you:
1) Keeping my fingers crossed you can get the new feral to a rescue. he does sound like a dumped pet
2) Thank you, good to know!
3) I’d say you’re definitely on the right track. I miss “thinking” about my books in my dreams or upon waking.
4) I bet your waffles are amazing! I love them, and rarely ever get them.
5) Stormy’s fave lunch is very specific, LOL! Although I’m that way about how I like my food so I can relate. I feel for you on the birthday party at the arcade, but you being there is everything to him. And a huge early HAPPY BIRHTDAY to Stormy!
Have a great weekend and hugs to you for giving blood!
March 18th, 2022 at 9:36 pm · Link
Viki, exactly on computers right now! My laptop is hinky too, so we’re just holding on. Yeah, I’m sore but happy to get more deep cleaning done. And thank you on Turbo! We love his smile
1) Cleaning windows is another big chore! Hope you can do it soon. We need to do it too.
2) Your poor shoulder! I hope the progress comes faster and easier. I know you’ve been trying to work it as best you can.
3) Well that’s awkward, LOL! Can you get hubs to stop brining it home if you don’t want it? (Although I can see why oldest and his wife are getting rid of as much as they can. Moving is a huge motivator!)
4) I bet Harrison’s family loved their portion of the carrot cake. And I freeze desserts all the time now. The carrot cake will make a great Easter dessert.
5) That would make me happy too! I love saving money. And right now, it’s more important with inflation. So glad your corn beef and cabbage turned out fabulous. I’m guessing you have leftover to enjoy too.
Thanks on Turbo’s birthday and hope you have a great weekend too!
March 18th, 2022 at 9:46 pm · Link
B.E., a refurbished computer is an idea, especially if we can’t get a new one with the supply chain issues. I’m just hoping this one hangs on. My aches will also through the weekend just because I’m choosing to do a lot of standing in the kitchen. It’s worth it though. I’m happier doing things than sitting around.
1) Is there at least enough coffee in edit hell???? I’m really sorry and hope you’re able to break free soon.
2) I live at the base of a hill in houses that are terraced so I can relate. It’s not as bad for us, but it’s a real thing. I’m 100% sure that you know the typical things to do better than me, so all I can do is sympathize and hope you come up with a good plan.
3) Yay Elmer! But he made it through because you moved him into the garage and took so good care of him.
4) Ah, I thought you’d finished editing, but guessed you were on round two (cause I go soooo many rounds on that crazy train). But proofing hell not fun either.
5) That must have been both a relief and a little exciting to find a website to help you do the job. I love finding little nuggets online that make my life or job easier.
Hope you’re not stuck in proofing hell too long. Have a good weekend!
March 19th, 2022 at 6:37 am · Link
When I finish, this will be the 6th and final draft. Format it and send it out into the world. Go into hiding. Eat copious amounts of ice cream. The end.
March 20th, 2022 at 11:32 pm · Link
B.E. you’re on the home stretch! Get the ice cream ready