Friday, April 22nd, 2022
TGIF! Let’s dive right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I made and froze lemon cake (trust me on freezing cakes–when done right it helps seal in moisture and freshness. I was shocked to learn this too!). That went easily enough. Then yesterday I made lemon curd for the filling and it failed. I didn’t quite cook it to the stage I needed it. But no worries, I redid it today and it turned out fine. This is exactly why I bought more eggs than I technically needed as I mentioned in my Wednesday story Also, my neighbor has a lemon tree and is happy to share with all of us on the street, which is pretty awesome. That tree keeps us all stocked up!
- And after a long debate between the voices in my head, I’m going to mix the curd into buttercream icing to make the filling. I love straight lemon curd filling, but not everyone is a fan of the tartness, so this choice should please a wider range of palates.
- Wizard and I went to the dentist, and I told him about my neck, jaw and arm. He manipulated what would be the trigger points if it was TMJ and the most pain I felt was a 3 out of 10, and it didn’t radiate hot burning streaks, so that’s likely not the source. That’s actually super helpful in beginning to eliminate it. I’m going to my regular doctor today, and I’m going to ask for x-rays, and include the jaw joint too. In the meantime, I’m dialing down my yoga practice to a little less strenuous.
- Back to the dentist, I love people who respect their staff. So one of the dentist-owners of the practice was filling in the for the receptionist. He does this every Wednesday so she can babysit her grandchild. She’s that valuable. He kept teasing that he had to do it right so he didn’t get in trouble from her. While he was partially joking, he really does values her and her work, and is willing to go the extra mile so she can do something important to her. We need more of this all around.
- Tax Season is Over!!! Yesterday we went out to babysit Turbo. Turbo’s on spring break from school, his mom had to go into her office, and dad was going to work from home for a few hours. But Turbo’s dad surprised us and took the day off to hang with us. I love that. He did take an hour for himself to work out, then we played and all went to lunch at a little bistro and ate outside. I had an amazing salad! CPA Boy was stealing off my plate because, like me, he loves rabbit food too, LOL It was so great to see CPA Boy relaxing after putting in 7 days a week for months for various reason. And he really wanted to spend time with us and his son, which means a lot to us.
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has an amazing weekend!
April 22nd, 2022 at 6:46 am · Link
Yay for CPA boy being done with the season and for you getting to hang out with him and Turbo. How awesome of your dentist to work with his employees’ needs. And yay that it’s not TMJ. Yay for lemon cake and curd and frosting. Bummer that the curd didn’t work out the first time, but I’m glad you have a source for loads of lemons.
1) Hubs and I spent time adding paver stones to our new drainage, We’re supposed to get hammered tomorrow, so it’ll be a good test to see if the pavers help retard the erosion.
2) Since it’s Spring, we’ve been working on weeding. It’s a big and neverending job. As soon as we get everything weeded, we need to start over. LOL
3) The deer are getting fat pregnant and the bucks’ antler nubs are becoming more visible. Yay.
4) I made super-fudgy brownies yesterday. So yummy. And I was an extra-good girl – I only ate one. I could’ve eaten the whole dang pan.
5) My gumption has been totally absent lately, but I’m trying. I got an idea for a scene for my 4th SCIU book the other day and, instead of waiting for where it ought to go, I just wrote the thing. It was nice to write again even if I’m not sure where that scene will actually go.
April 22nd, 2022 at 6:50 am · Link
So glad for the eggs to make it intact and I LIKE lemon curd but can see why some like a little more sweet. Yay for baking success, narrowing down the cause of ouch, good dentists (and good people!) and CPA Boy/Turbo Time. Boo on lowering yoga “standards” but wise to do so. Sound like you had a good week, all in all. My five.
1. I DID give blood last week (Friday so it sort of counts LOL). Jake went with me and he was a big hit. They even gave him a bandana that says “My person gives blood.” My hemoglobin count was up from a 12.4 (have to be at least 12.5) to give) to a 12.9! I’m staying on the iron booster. Also, I set a new personal best on the time it took me to fill the back. Also, my vampire was AMAZING! I barely felt the stick when he inserted the needle. Yay!
2. The lights on Nessie went out. I bought new lights because it looked like the timer still worked. Long story short, it was the extension cord AND the old timer, so Jake and I made an ACE Hardware run. Now I have an extra set of outdoor rope lights. (I’m too lazy to take them back to Walmart and I’ll need them eventually anyway.)
3. While I was fiddling with electrical things, I got buzzed by a hummingbird who was upset that I was blocking the feeder with my big ungainly human body. (The plug is right below the feeder.) I apologized and hurried so it could come back. That’s the first one I’ve see this season. Yay.
4. Stormy was here Monday, and then after school T, W, & Th. We also did a lot of shuffling with cars. The kids’ Jeep needed a new alternator so that was Monday, and Baseball Boy needed a ride down to his school as they had an out-of-town game. Then LG and I picked up the Jeep when it was fixed and took it to the school for him when he got back later in the evening. Only picked up Stormy. Their mechanic noticed the wheel bearings were shot on the right rear wheel. Not good. So, more car manuevering. Only kept my Highlander, BB drove her Mustang, and we met her at the repair place when the Jeep was done a second time (Wednesday) so I could pick up Drover (my Highlander). Yeah, that was a half a tank of gas. Ah well.
5. I WILL finish revising RESCUE MOON today. I’m very close. That’ll be two books down, two to go. Progress. And I did manage a few short scenes on CROSFIRE so a tiny bit of progress there too. Still not totally over my funk but I AM climbing up the spiral instead of sliding down. More progress!
Cheers to a greate weekend for all! I’m vegging out to college softball today and softball and MLB over the weekend. And revising. Always revising.
April 22nd, 2022 at 3:19 pm · Link
1. The cake sounds great and freezing is fantastic. Like you said, if properly stored, it thaws perfect.
2. Sorry about the lemon curd. I love it! Mixing it into buttercream is a good idea for the rest of the crowd 😊.
3. That was smart to have the dentist do a check for you and ruling out TMJ. I’m very interested in hearing what happened at the doctor today.
4. Sounds like you have a winner with this dentist. If they are good to the people in the office they are generally good people all around.
5. How nice of CPA boy to spend the day with you guys after being in the tax grind for so long. Love the lunch story.
1a. Harrison is doing great in TN. The moving truck arrived this morning instead of yesterday but they are getting things set up in the rental right now. All seems good.
2a. Speaking of Harrison, they were sleeping on air mattresses while awaiting the moving truck. Being a boy, he popped his before bedtime Tuesday. Funny thing is, I told hubs that would happen and it did.
3a. The vet called to check on Spunk and since he’s only thrown up 3 times since going on the Prednisone she thinks he’s doing well. We are now dosing every other day to see if good results continue. If they do we will continue to slowly get him off the meds.
4a. My mom has decided to left life take it’s course w/o treatment. The cancer has spread to her liver and spleen and on the other side of the colon. She feels good though and doesn’t want the sickness and pain. We respect her decision. My brother should get results from the biopsy Monday or Tuesday.
5a. It’s going to be 80/82 and nice all weekend. I will be washing my car in the driveway tomorrow 🥰.
I hope you have a great weekend!