Friday, August 26th, 2022
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing 5 random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Monday I baked salted dark chocolate and lemon cookies. That’s all fine, but I screwed up my first batch of lemon cookies by second guessing myself. It was so stupid. I doubled the recipe and once the batter was mixed, I suddenly convinced I hadn’t doubled the amount of lemon juice. So I impulsively add more lemon juice. Then I realized I was wrong…and I’d just added what is essentially an acid to a batter after the dry ingredients had been incorporated. So I baked a test cookie and it seemed okay. But could I leave it alone? Nope, I fought with myself over this for a half hour, but the mental pain of knowing I’d screwed up insisted that I go to the store, buy more butter and lemons, then redo the entire double batch. That is crazy, I know it’s crazy and I did it anyway. I don’t have an excuse.
- I already mentioned that we got together with family to see Wizard’s out of state family. But it was a big deal for us Years ago, Wizard’s uncle was in the air force and stationed in Hawaii. Wizard went there as a young man on a vacation and stayed with his uncle. They have great memories of that time and I love hearing about it. His uncle brought him a bottle of Scotch because his uncle introduced him to the drink. It was really sweet. It was also great for his mom to see her brother.
- I got my hair done, so all the gray is hidden and I’m growing it out just a little bit. With this humidity, thoughI should just wear a baseball hat and give all the effort. That said, I’m very happy with the color.
- I got my Humira medication! It’s taken a few calls, lots of hold time and patience, but I’ve had a lot of help too. The copay is so high (well over 1K a month) I wouldn’t be able to afford it. But assistance from the pharmaceutical company is making it possible. I know we all complain about health care and costs (for valid reasons!), but I also think it’s important to call out the good too. I’m very grateful.
- I started reading a sample of a book on my kindle this morning and really liked it. The only problem? The book is $14.99. I hate paying that for a Kindle book. So now I’m asking my past self why the heck I downloaded the sample to a book I didn’t want to pay the price for? In case you’re wondering, my past self isn’t answering. She’s probably busy creating another problem and issue for my future self to figure out.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope you have a great weekend!
August 26th, 2022 at 6:15 am · Link
You’re replacing your need to control things you have no control over with your cookie issues. It’s your brain’s way of keeping you from going bananas. I’m so glad you and Wizard got to see his family and reminisce. Yay for happy hair! Yay for getting your meds, but boo for $1+K a month. Ack. Bummer about the book. I’m with you, though. $15 for an ebook is too much.
1) My past self occasionally likes to pick up a free later book in a series without ever having read the earlier books and then if I like it I’m all ‘Gah, now I have to pay for the others’.
2) I’m learning to take dictation. Not like they used to – writing down special characters and stuff (like my Mom learned). Nope, I type out everything the techs are telling me over the phone about their service calls, so the customers can be billed properly or scheduled for a follow-up call.
3) Hubs took my car in to get new tires and an oil change. He also picked up the parts so he can fix my windshield washer pump thingie himself. He’s so handy.
4) We’ve been seeing a hen turkey with her babies. They’re so cute. They’re fully fledged, so no chick fluff, but they’re about half normal size. Tiny mini turkeys.
5) I have such a potty mouth but I don’t want to swear at work so I’m coming up with alternate curses. ‘Son of a motherless monkey’ is my favorite so far.
August 26th, 2022 at 7:53 am · Link
At first, I was like…what? Salted dark chocolate lemon cookies? My brain wouldn’t quite wrap itself around that but my tongue and and tummy were sayin’, “Bring it!” Wiz’s family is all kinds of awesome! Hey, ash blonde works. Glad pharma can help. Have you checked your library for the book? I refuse to pay $14.99 for a digital book but my library system carries lots of digital books that I can read on Kindle or in my Libby app. I strongly lobby for library use. LOL Okay. My five. And this will take awhile because…yeah.
1. We lost a sheriff’s deputy this week, and another wounded. I know them both, as they are long-time LEOs with the OCSO. I worked with them some back when I was with MWCPD. Uncle Fix-It worked with them often for lock-outs, evictions, and other warrant serves. Been a long week and all the rest seems trivial, but life is what it is. Moving on.
2. No garage door yet. There are reasons. Uncle Fix-It’s guy had two deaths in the family, then several of Uncle’s buildings were vandalized and/or broken into and robbed. Garage door dude also does windows, doors, and all that stuff. Priorities. I can park in the driveway and schlepp trash for a while longer.
3. I had to stop and look up “affect” and “effect” this week. I normally remember the “hint” to reminds me of which is which: A is for action and E is for end result. My brain sometimes.
4. LG had a birthday. I fixed beef tips in gravy, mashed taters, carrots, and biscuits. We watched baseball. We’ll do a family thing over Labor Day to celebrate his and Uncle Fix-It’s (early Septebember) together. The “boys” have done that most of their adult lives so it’s all good.
5. And to end of something good: Pete story of the week. LG came in laughing. He keeps finding Pete sprawled in the middle of the empty space where Drover is normally parked, except Pete isn’t relaxing, he’s staring at the cat door like he’s a sentry waiting to ambush an intruder. LG finally gave up and went to look out the window. The two black ferals, Shylock and Lucifer, were out there. Luci was sprawled with his back to the door but Shy was “loafed” up and staring IN the door. At Pete. LG managed to get inside before laughing because…you know…cat dignity and all that.
Have a great weekend, all!
August 26th, 2022 at 2:48 pm · Link
B.E., You’re probably right about controlling what I can — I hadn’t thought of that. Okay now for you:
1) I’ve done that too! But reading out of order is normal for me, LOL.
2) Great dictation! While I can type fairly fast my accuracy sucks. I’m guessing you are way better than I am!
3) Your hubs does it all!
5) I’m sooo stealing Son of a motherless monkey!” I’ll try to remember to credit you, but I’m stealing it!!
Hope you and hubs have a great weekend!
August 26th, 2022 at 2:59 pm · Link
Silver, I’m sure I muddled that up on the cookies. Two difference kinds of cookies I haven’t been to our town library since Covid, but I should check now. Good idea. I know in the past, they just didn’t have the resources but that may have changed.
1) I’m so very sorry about the loss of the Sheriff’s deputy and wish the other wounded officer a speedy recovery. That is awful news. I believe I did see a mention of that on my news feed.
2) Your poor uncle. It’s pouring bad news on him. I hope things get better soon, and then, you finally get your garage door.
3) I have to look that up now and again too. But only when I overthink it.
4) Happy Belated Birthday to LG! The dinner you made sounds delicious! Also it’s so much easier to combine celebrations like that.
5) Cats! Pete is giving up any of his garage! The other cats probably didn’t even want it until Pete claimed it. They are pretty funny! Thanks for the laugh!
I hope you have a great weekend (and no more bad news!)
August 26th, 2022 at 3:15 pm · Link
I just typed a huge reply and it’s gone after I hit submit 😥.
here’s a short version.
1. Cookies sound good. I’m sorry you had to buy more ingredients but I hope they turned out good.
2. How nice of Wizard’s Uncle to bring him scotch. Those memories are loved.
3. Glad you got your hair done and are happy with the cut.
4. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies should be called out when they do good.
5. I agree with you on paying that much for the Kindle read. Maybe you can get a Kindle copy via your library.
1a. I just had my hair done too. Looks good without the gray stripe.
2a. Had a FT watching Harrison get his yellow belt in Karate last night. It’s all about encouragement at this stage.
3a. The ant guy will be here any minute.
4a. My HSA changed banks and all was supposed to be done by yesterday. When I looked I had 0 balance. On the phone I got and was told they were having issues and all should be done Monday.
5a. I can’t remember my 5th. Maybe it was the driveway was sealed yesterday and looks great. I hate to drive on it but I will 😊.
Have a great weekend!
August 26th, 2022 at 3:53 pm · Link
Tell your future self to get a library card and borrow the ebook that way. It’s easy on your budget.
August 26th, 2022 at 4:35 pm · Link
Viki, I hate when my replies vanish like that! I’m sorry. Yep everyone’s telling me to go to the library Our small town library may have gotten up to speed, I’ll have to check!
1) I always feel better getting rid of that gray stripe too. What’s funny, is I love gray hair on some women. I’m just not ready for it on me, I guess.
2) That’s adorable on Harrison getting his yellow belt! I love martial arts for kids when they have the right instructor!
3) Hope that ant guy has been there and debugged your home.
4) Oh, that 0 balance would make me uneasy. I hope it’s all restored first thing Monday. I’m sure it’s fine though. Transitions do take time.
5) Yay for getting the driveway sealed. I’d be the same way about driving on it that first time
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
August 26th, 2022 at 4:37 pm · Link
Marianne, I’m wondering where my library card is??? I had it for decades but haven’t used it in years. I’ll go online now and see what’s new with our city library. I’m sure things have changed dramatically since the last time I was in there.
August 26th, 2022 at 4:50 pm · Link
Thanks everyone! I’ve requested the book I want to read from my library!