TGIF! Let’s get right into sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- It’s been a quiet week that has involved a lot of me standing around waiting until Wizard needs me to help with his building the cabinets. It’s been, um, a much longer and challenging than anticipated. You know how it goes, everything that can go wrong does, but Wizard has adjusted the plan the best he can and will make it work. Overall, a quiet week isn’t a bad thing. Last week was almost too hard.
- We spent an hour or so measuring and drawing out the back yard so we can plan and start getting quotes. It’s a small slightly awkward space, so we want to make the best use of space while keeping it low maintenance. I think we have a good start in knowing what we want. The front is desert landscape, and something we want to change, but it may have to wait. We drew up some ideas and will begin talking to contractors in another week or two.
- I need to get estimates on the #2 in order to move forward inside the house. I’m trying to be patient but it’s starting to bug me. We aren’t even hanging pictures until I decided where I want our existing wall art and where I think we can afford new pieces. But I need to buy two chairs and some console tables, and that all circles back to budget which requires an idea what the outside retaining walls and landscape is going to cost. LOLOL. All that said, at least we’re moved in and mostly settled, so these are not real problems by an stretch! We both love this house.
- I want to bake but I know I should wait until I have a clearer treatment plan (probably late next week). However…I might give in and do something today for fun and I just won’t eat it. Turbo did want some chocolate cookies, but I need to talk to his parents and see what they think about that since Monday is Halloween and there’s probably a lot of junk around — including the Halloween bag I’m taking him.
- This weekend, we hope to go see Turbo on Saturday, then we’re going by Biker Witch’s on Sunday so Wizard and Youngest Son can install a couple ceiling fans (they volunteered to do it cause they wanted too). I’m just tagging along to see my sister It doesn’t sound like a whole lot, but it’ll fill up the weekend.
See? It was a quiet, boring week. Oh I forgot to mention I started reading RESCUE MOON by Silver James and I’m enjoying it. So far what I love the most is the fast pacing that keeps me turning pages! So that’s my five plus a bonus on what I’m reading, now I’d love to hear yours. I hope everyone has a great weekend!
October 28th, 2022 at 6:07 am · Link
1-3 = :hugs: You’ll get there. And yay for loving your house. As for baking, you could always find a women’s shelter or something that might enjoy some baked goods. I hope you do get to see Turbo. And yay for seeing Biker Witch! Yay for RESCUE MOON! It’s awesome. Enjoy! And have a great weekend, Jenn!
1) I’ve been following the progress of a mange coyote at this rescue place. She was a tragic sight when they first brought her in. This morning, they posted pics and she looks like a real coyote again. Oh, her fur is still super short, but it covers her whole body. Once it gets longer, they can release her back into the wild. Yay.
2) I’m so glad it’s Friday. It’s been a week, lemme tell ya.
3) The other day, I stepped out back at work to have a smoke and just then, two deer looked they were getting ready to cross the highway. They saw me and beat feet in the opposite direction. Just then, two big pickup trucks came barreling down the highway. I like to think I save two lives.
4) I sat up reading for about an hour after Hubs went to bed last night. I haven’t done that in a while, and it was nice. (Tunnel in the Sky by Robert Heinlein, btw)
5) Last Saturday, I saw the first bald eagle of the season. Since they don’t stay here year-round, t’s always an event for me. I should start seeing yellow-bellied sapsuckers soon, too. Yep, I’m a bird nerd. ;o)
October 28th, 2022 at 8:31 am · Link
Quiet is good. Good to have plans and a budget and y’all are being way more logical that I’d be about progress on the new place. Yay for Turbo and Biker Witch time! And many BIG thanks and hugs for your comments on RESCUE MOON! Okay, my five.
1. I’ll start with a Pete story. LG was out in the driveway and Pete was eating the leftover cat food I put out for crows, crittes, and other feral cats. LG chided him a bit for eating *that* food because he had a full bowl in the garage (and also gets gushy food every morning.) Pete ignorared him. He started to walk over there when PETE walked out from under my car. LG did a double-take. Pete and Repeat. ☻🤣🤣🤣
2. I’m living vicariously through Stormy this week. LOL His Halloween costume is too cute! It’s a blowup blue dragon that he “rides.” ie. his legs are the dragon’s back legs and then there are fake legs that dangle on the dragon’s side. He’s really into dragons at the moment, having just finished ERAGON.
3. I did mention the vicarious living right? His reading class’s Halloween project was to make jack-o-lanterns based on a character from a book they really like. He built (with a little help from Only) a musketeer. It’s too cute! I’ve got to figure out how to get the photos off my phone messenger to my computer so I can post them.
4. And about that vicarious thing, his team is #2 in the league and they play in the “bowl” game tomorrow. If they win, they play again, because the #1 team beat them during the season. Gonna be a cold, rainy morning.
5. And that’s how I end my five–with the weather. We got 1 1/2″ of rain early in the week and we got some more early today. Another wave is supposed to come through tonight into tomorrow morning. We’ll take all we can get! Sending thoughts of rain your way, too, Jen!
Have a great weekend, all!
October 28th, 2022 at 3:07 pm · Link
1. Oh boy, cabinets are difficult some times. Staying back/out of the way is VERY smart.
2. You guys are smart drawing out the plan for the backyard. We never did – just planted here and there. Guess what? It shows 😝.
3. Again, smart having professionals do the work. We did all of ours ourselves. It shows 😆.
4. I’m betting Turbo has chocolate cookies coming his way. His parents seem pretty cool about food and will have him cut back on eating some of the candy/sweets here and there.
5. Sure hope you do get to go see Turbo. Have a great time with Biker Witch while the guys are hanging the fans.
1a. Got the increase for my health insurance today in the mail right after I paid next months premium. Funny how that works. Get this. It’s going up $89/mon. It’s insane. But it’s the only insurance that covers all of my doctors.
2a. It’s a nice day here today. It’s supposed to warm up for the next week or so – mid 60’s lower 70’s.
3a. Last night was the local pumpkin roll. There is a very high in on the road that runs through the center of town. For the past 50 years the local HS kids have stolen pumpkins from peoples homes and on a special night (not disclosed to adults) they throw the pumpkins on the hill to smash them and then grab sleds or whatever and slide down the pumpkin goo covered hill. For the last 10 years the town has sanctioned the event and shuts the road down so no one gets hurt. Here’s the best part, the local cops clean up the mess. It builds a relationship with the kids.
4a. Bought a turkey yesterday. Most stores have them at $2.49 or higher per pound. I got this one at $0.89?pound from a store that made some great deal. It’s a Jennie-O. Never had one before. I always buy Honeysuckle White. We’ll see.
5a. Yesterday I baked a pumpkin bread. It turned out good. Not too sweet.
I hope you have a fantastic weekend!
October 28th, 2022 at 3:55 pm · Link
B.E., thanks and I’m really enjoying Silver’s book. It’s the first one in a while that’s keeping my attention!
1) It’s nice when rescues can help a wild animal and release them back to their natural habitat. I did laugh, though, because I strive to avoid seeing coyotes on my walks and here you are following one online
2) Sounds like a rough week. Hugs.
3) I think you saved two lives too! Talk about good timing. Hope that made your week better.
4) Reading in the quiet is a luxury! It’s probably even better for you than sleep once in a while.
5) It’s awesome that you have the opportunity to see a good variety of birds there. I mostly see crows when I walk and they are bossy suckers. And big!
I really hope you have a relaxing, enjoyable weekend!
October 28th, 2022 at 4:09 pm · Link
Silver, you’re welcome! It’s nice to be reading a book that I look forward to reading when I get the chance! And lol on us being logical. We are weird, but have always been that way. It amuses our kids too
1) Laughing my butt off! I love that story! Poor LG must have that weird second where he’s wondering if his eyes are playing tricks on him. Maybe Pete and Repeat are twins and have playing you two all along!
2) Wow what an awesome costume for Stormy! Turbo won’t tell me what he’s going to be for Halloween. He insists it’s a secret. I have not asked his parents because it’s pretty cute how serious Turbo is about his secret. Also I’m still impressed that Stormy read that book! Go Stormy!
3) A musketeer jack-o-lanturn is too cute! Not sure on your phone, but for my pics in messenger, I have to save them first to my gallery, and then if they don’t automatically upload to my cloud (which you man not have) then I email them to myself. But your phone may be different from mine.
4) Sorry for cold and rain, but I’m cheering Stormy and his team on from here!
5) Yay for rain! We may get some next week, so good for both our states!
Have a great weekend!
October 28th, 2022 at 4:24 pm · Link
Viki, we did the backyards in both our other houses (except the pool, LOL). But this one has two things: These houses our terraced and right at the base of hills, so we need a retaining wall and hardscape must be done correctly for stability and sloping/drainage. The second thing is it’s so small we need a plan to make the most of it. But the numbers might change our plans. We’ll do all the plants and that kind of thing ourselves.
1) Sorry about the rate hike! I’m expecting mine to go up too. I pay a shocking amount for insurance.
2) Should make for some pretty fall days!
3) That’s funny how something kids start turned into a sanctioned event born of an unsanctioned tradition! I kind of feel sorry for the cops cleaning that up (I hate cleaning!), but yay for building a good relationship with the kids!
4) That is a great deal on the turkey! For me, it’s a matter of hoping whatever turkey I buy fits into my oven. It’s probably not as small as it looks, but a 20lb turkey will be the test.
5) It’s the perfect time of year for pumpkin bread!! That made me think of the pumpkin cheesecake roll my daughter in law (middle D-I-L) makes and it’s not too sweet for a dessert either. I like it better than pumpkin pie!
Hope you have a great weekend and the pumpkin roll is a fun and safe event for all the high school kids!