Friday, December 2nd, 2022
TGIF! Wow how did it get to be December already? Crazy! But lets focus now on sharing five random things about our week.
- I miss reading. Listening to audiobooks is great, I really love them and I’m listening to a really interesting one right now. I’m going to try harder to physically read more books in 2023 if I can. I miss writing too, but I’m just in a different place in my life these days. But 2023 will be a new year to get things done!
- We got the microwave and cooktop fixed! Turned out all they needed to do was replace the breaker with a better one. I wasn’t here but Wizard said it just took the electrician that housing track sent out a few minutes. In related news on the new chairs: The company is sending out someone to look at them next Tuesday. I am hoping for just as easy of a resolution. It’ll be interesting to see if it’s our fault or the chairs At this point, it could be either.
- I went out shopping on Wednesday for some things for the house, and ended up only buying a set of Christmas dish towels featuring a dog that looks like Maggie on them I think I spent a whopping $7.00. We’ll be starting the retaining walls, planters and concrete outside soon, so I’m good with my $7.00 purchase, LOL! I had planned to go to my cake store but never made it due to time constraints, which also saved us a chunk of change! I’ll probably get there next week. Right now, I’m planning cookies for something Wizard wants me to do, but at some point, I’ll do a fun cake too.
- Yesterday morning, I was walking Maggie when a beautiful, fairly big black dog came barreling toward us. I stopped and told him no, he slowed and grew respectful and sweet. His body language was pretty easy to read so I wasn’t too worried until a second smaller dog showed up growling and much more fearful and insecure. That’s when things got serious. A construction guy came over and helped tell the dogs to leave. I’m very grateful for his help! Maggie and I turned and went home, and I had to send the dogs away one more time on our way, but they listened. I don’t know what happened to the dogs after that. Once I had Maggie inside, they were gone. Wizard was out in the garage later and said he never saw them too. They had flat collars on, and I’m wondering if the belonged to one of the construction workers on the job site, but the guy helping me didn’t want to tell me that. The reason I suspect that is because they came out of the yard where the workers gather in the morning and they looked well cared for.
- Wizard is struggling with sinuses this week. We don’t think it’s a cold, it’s acting like allergies/sinuses that come and go. He’s a bit more tired than usual but doesn’t seem sick. The weather has gone from sunny to overcast and deciding if it might rain or not so that’s probably a factor. A lot of people we know have been really sick with the current cold virus going around, so we haven’t made any real plans for the weekend just to make sure we’re both well before we go and expose too many others.
So that’s my pretty boring week Now I’d love to hear about your five! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
December 2nd, 2022 at 9:07 am · Link
Glad you have a good book to listen to, and those are good goals for 2023. Yay for easy fix in the kitchen. Sometimes, wires get crossed on what size breaker is needed for a circuit. No pun intended. Glad it was an easy fix. 🤞🏼 crossed for an easy fix on the chairs. I’m all for cute Maggie towels and cheap shopping trips! Glad the big one was friendly and what is it about “ankle biters” that make them so snarly? Grrr. Glad the construction dude and helped and you might be right about ownership. Hopefully, they’ll keep the dogs under better supervision if they come again. Poor Wiz. It’s all sinuses/allergies around here. Post-nasal drip that the tickle cough that goes with it is driving both LG and me nuts! Hope Wiz feels better soon! Okay, my five.
1. Still making progress on the book. I now have 8 solid chapters than basically only need final edits. I have 24 scenes/partial scenes that need to be filled in and tied together. I’m working on finishing a chapter a day. We’ll see how that goes. So far, mostly good this week.
2. We hit the 1-week period on the pumpkin pie. There were still 3 pieces left. Rather than just tossing it in the trash, I put it out in the driveway “island.” Sure enough, a possum had dessert that night.
3. Stormy was here for 2 afternoons. He and Big Daddy worked on homework, stopped by the grocery store and got “special” Little Debby snacks (their “cream pies” now come in more flavors than just oatmeal), and watched a replay of a soccer game. His first “winter” indoor soccer game is tomorrow evening. I’ll take Jake and see how he does. He may end up in the truck for the second half, depending on noise level and how many people are crowded in.
4. LG and I aren enjoying the new Sylvester Stallone show on Paramount+. New episodes hit on Sunday nights but we wait and stream/watch it on Monday evenings while we eat. We laugh a lot because the writers obviously know, love, & understand Oklahoma. Also, picking out landmarks is a fun game. Several scenes were shot in LG’s old bank across the street from his former office in the Stockyards. The building is empty now but it’s distinctive enough to recognize. We’re glad it got renewed and Sly and crew will be back here filming again soon.
5. Pete story of the week. This might get a little TMI, but whatever. Pete’s come in to sleep a few nights lately. He has a couple of spots on the bed he likes to habitate–up by my pillow but on the mattress, down toward the foot of the bed so he can see out of the bedroom, and curled up on top of the covers behind my knees (side sleeper here). Now, there’s a cat-owner joke (and various memes) about how cats have to be in the bathroom with you. Well, Pete is one of those cats. And on one of those nights when he was inside, I was up and down many times for that reason. He dutifully came with me to keep me company. At one point, I was up 4 times within about an hour and a half (from like 4:00 a.m. to 5:30). During the last trip, to show his solidarity, Pete joined me in the whiz, only he picked one of the bathroom rugs. 🤦🏼♀️ There was no way to grab him, prevent him, or otherwise distract him. So, there I was at 5:40 a.m. doing laundry. FYI, this is not really a “medical” thing with me. I’ve been prone to “many trips” since I was a little kid. We’d leave to go in the car (me having just “gone”) and within 15-20 minutes, I’d have to go again. Drove my mother nuts. My dad just built in extra time and made sure I was bush trained at an early age. 🤣 And yes, after myriad tests, the docs never found anything wrong with me other than I “process” liquids, even in small amounts quickly and quirkily. Whatever. My coffee habits have not helped matters. 🤣🤣🤣
First Saturday tomorrow so sirens and Mexican food. Have an awesome weekend, all!
December 2nd, 2022 at 4:24 pm · Link
1. I can’t blame you on wanting to read a book. Wanting to get back to writing is understood too. It will come when things settle down in the new house.
2. Easy fixes are the best. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that the chairs are easy too.
3. Good buy on the towels. Good thing you didn’t make it to the cake store. I have a feeling you would have been restrained but why temp fact 😄.
4. You handled the dogs well. I would have been scared and that never goes well since they can sense our fear.
5. Poor Wizard. I hope that he feels better soon. Sinus pain stinks.
1a. Eldest got home to TN and the next day text us to let us know that he now had the flu and strep. So far, we are fine. But you know, I would have had him stay home just because Harrison and DIL were so sick. He had to be carrying it. I’ve warned all he came into contact with, fingers crossed no one gets sick.
2a. I hit the curb when I went to the dentist the other day and the glass hummingbird I have hanging from my mirror broke her wing. My sweet youngest is coming over after work to see if he can fix her for me. This kid is a keeper 🥰.
3. Hubs and I are having leftover pizza from Wednesday tonight. We were a bit ticked. I ordered mushroom onion and got sausage onion. They said they’d re-make it and they did – SAUSAGE ONION. Needless to say, we kept the nasty meat pizza.
4. My shoulder is just terrible today. I figure it’s this big change in weather we’re to get. Just to be safe – wine tonight 😄.
5. The tree is up and lighted and all other decorating will be done tomorrow. Can’t wait to get it done. Spunk loves his tree.
Have a fantastic weekend!
December 2nd, 2022 at 5:39 pm · Link
Silver, I just want to believe those dog’s owner was nearby and they are safe. I had to prioritize getting Maggie inside to safety, but I still feel bad I don’t know for sure they are safe. I haven’t seen them again.
That post nasal drip is miserable. I’m sorry for both you and LG! I hope everyone feels better soon!
1) You’re making excellent progress on the book!
2) Wow score for the possum!
3) LG and Stormy are so cute together! I hope Stormy has a great game, and that the noise isn’t too much for Jake. He usually does so well, I forget he has some limitations. But it’s very good exposure for him too.
4) I didn’t even know Sylvester Stallone had a show, which show you how out of touch I am, LOL. Glad you are enjoying it, and it’s fun to see local landmarks. I can see why you’d really appreciate the writers understanding the culture of Oklahoma. Every state and region have their own culture.
5) Pete’s turning into a house cat, even if he hasn’t quite mastered where he should potty. LOL on accompanying you to the bathroom. Trust me, I get we all can function differently. I’m reassuring to know you’ve made sure there’s nothing wrong though.
Hope you have a great weekend!
December 2nd, 2022 at 5:56 pm · Link
Viki, I’m so relieved on the microwave and cooktop. On the dogs — it all happens so fast, and I automatically go into a stern mom mode to keep Maggie safe. I don’t have time to really think about it. Once I’m home, I’m more upset and scared that something really awful could have happened to Maggie or me, if that makes sense. In the moment, I’m just trying to control the situation. So far, I’ve been really lucky.
1) Oh no, poor Eldest. He was in a tough position — it was his grandma and he only had one chance to say goodbye. Being a guy, he probably really thought he wouldn’t get sick. I sure hope he feels better soon.
2) Youngest sure is a keeper! I really hope he can fix the wing.
3) Okay, once is a mistake and it happens, but twice???? I’d have been ticked too. Hope you guys like sausage??? I do but I can’t eat it.
4) The weather change will do that for sure. I’m sorry it’s so painful. I think wine is an excellent prescription!
5) Yay for getting your tree up and making Spunk happy! I haven’t convinced Wizard to bring in our Christmas stuff yet. He’s procrastinating because he knows he’ll end up helping me
Hope you have a great weekend!