Friday, January 6th, 2023
TGIF! The first week of January has zoomed by and it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- So it’s rained a lot, but not as much as forecasted in our area. Up in Northern Cal they are dealing with a lot more. But our weather people are freaking out over what is basically rain It’s both funny and ridiculous.
- The rain kept me inside yesterday, so I dusted, did laundry, vacuumed furniture and tried out my Christmas gift of a vacuum mop. That mop is great! It saved my back and side. I’m really happy with it.
- My stomach is a big, fat, annoying jerk. That’s really I need to say about that.
- The entertainment center we ordered for the new big screen TV came yesterday. It’s now spread around my living room in roughly a million pieces. So far we’ve managed to successfully assemble so many different things for the house, let’s hope our luck holds. The TV will be mounted on the wall, this is a console that will sit below it.
- Today is supposed to be dry! Maggie and I are looking forward to walks after being housebound yesterday. We probably can’t go on the trails but it should be so pretty even from the sidewalks. On Wednesday when we had a break in the rain, we went over to the empty lots (houses to be built soon) walked over the rain-soaked lots. I was slightly surprised that Maggie was willing to tromp through the mud and puddles, but she was having a great time tracking smells churned up by the rain. But wow, the ground was so saturated and sucking at my shoes. I really should get hiking boots Maggie is basically a goat and has no problems. When I got home, I was trying to clean my shoes, and Wizard restrained himself enough to watch for about one minute, before he took over. No idea why he thought I was doing it wrong, but who am I to argue if he wants to clean all the mud off my shoes????
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
January 6th, 2023 at 8:05 am · Link
Weather people are screwy. Bummer about all the rain, but at least you got some things accomplished and got to play in the mud. Sorry your stomach is being obnoxious. Yay for a new entertainment center. You guys will conquer that like you conquer everything else – superbly. LOL about Wizard.
1) Now that it’s the beginning of the year, I’m busier than ever at work. I wouldn’t have thought that was possible, but here we are.
2) Gah. I don’t really have that much to talk about today that’s not work related and I can’t talk about those things online. LOL
3) I got a $50 Visa gift card for Christmas and I have no clue what I’m going to buy with it. I think I’ll take it to the thrift store tomorrow and see what trouble I can get into. Bwa ha ha
4) I love watching the eagles. I had one swoop down over me a couple days ago, intent on something in the distance. It was pretty cool.
5) Ya know, I never thought I’d live this long. 2023. Wow. My daughter will be 30 this year. Derp.
January 6th, 2023 at 8:37 am · Link
Glad y’all are getting rain but sorry it’s coming all in one dump. Hopefully you and Maggie will get a walk in today. Yay for the mop, Wiz’s “control issues” and yeah, y’all will figure out that console in no time. Boo on the tummy. Blerg. Okay, my five.
1. You remember that nice “cat house” I built with styrofoam insulation on the inside and spun insulation on the outside and covered in heavy plastic to waterproof it? It has a cat bed and an old chenille-like rug in there. Well, I went out to feed the ferals the other morning and something was inside it. The bed had been pushed up against the opening. It sounded like Loki when he “sharpens” his claws on the sisal throw rug that’s his to do that on. There were chunks of styrofoam on the mat in front of the box. I asked Shy Cat if it was one of them or one of the wild critters. He sat across the porch and blinked at me. Getting brave, I grabbed an edge of the bed and pulled. Something heavy was on it so I tapped the box, grabbed the bed and pulled again. It popped out. But nothing followed. Okay then. I fed Shy and put out food for the others then went inside. When I looked out about two minutes later, there was a HUGE and FAT raccoon eating the gushy food out of one of the bowls. I opened the door and hollered at him. He just stared at me. Alrighty then. Anyway, I fixed the house but it’s not as nice inside was it was.
2. I fixed brisket for New Year’s Day dinner. Deviled eggs, baked beans, hot rolls. Good stuff.
3. Stormy’s honor program is today. Only has a doctor’s appointment so LG and I are going. Only thought he had straight As again. Turns out he got a B- in ART! ART! WTH?!? Yeah, she was not a happy camper and will be asking why once she can contact the teacher.
4. Writing in the new year is about like writing in the old year. I was hoping for better. Gotta work on that.
5. And yes, the above is because I’m digging for stuff to list. Tomorrow is First Saturday. LG is judging an oratory contest and his siren is covered so Jake and I will just go meet the kids for lunch because ALVARADO’S! Gotta get my Mex fix, right?
That’s it for me. Gotta dash to get ready to head to school. Have a great weekend!
January 6th, 2023 at 10:51 am · Link
Quick update to the honor’s assembly mentioned in my #3. There was a glitch in the reporting system that affected the entire 3rd grade. Stormy did, indeed, make straight As–the only one in his class. Yay! His momma’s blood pressure went down immediately. LOLOL
January 6th, 2023 at 4:13 pm · Link
1. I hear you on the weather men and rain. That’s how it is with snow here.
2. Good job taking advantage of the rainy day. That mop must be a great tool in the new house, especially with the rain.
3. Sorry about your tummy :(.
4. Fingers crossed that luck held with the entertainment center.
5. Hope the rain held off and that you and Maggie got in a nice hike today. Yes, you should buy a nice pair of hiking boots.
1a. I started putting the Christmas stuff away. Will have it all packed away by Sunday.
2a. Youngest and hubs were supposed to drive to TN yesterday but hubs is not well.
3a. The power fan for the roof went on yesterday and the electrician will be out next week to hook it up. I will feel much better when that is done.
4a. My brother gets marked up today for radiation. The treatments begin Monday for 8 weeks.
5a. I finally found a downdraft electric oven that will fit my island. It’s SO expensive. I have only seen it online but Home Depot is supposed to have it so I may go look into it over the weekend. Before tax and on sale it’s $3,300. Oh boy!
I hope you have a really wonderful weekend!
January 6th, 2023 at 5:32 pm · Link
B.E., I don’t know about superbly, but we got it built! Today’s a pretty day, and we’re supposed to have a three day break before the next rain which is really nice.
1) You must be so tired when you get home at night! I hope the job slows a bit for you soon. Hope this weekend is a good break for you.
2) That must be frustrating to not be able to talk about it, but I can understand why you can’t.
3) Half the fun of a gift card if deciding what to spend it on!
4) Very cool! I’m betting he spotted prey with he eagle eyes (Sorry I couldn’t resist).
5) It’s a strange feeling when our kids get into their 30s. I, for one, am glad you did live this long!
I hope work was a bit less hectic today and you have a great weekend!
January 6th, 2023 at 5:44 pm · Link
Silver, I’m just glad for a few nice days to get out. I don’t mind the rain too much. I just find it interesting that I can’t sit and read as I loved doing for decades. But life changes and we change with it if we want to be happy
1) Shy cat is not a snitch! But of course it’s racoons! They are such troublemakers. I’m really sorry they had a frat party in the cat house you make. But yay for being able to remake it for the ferals. Hopefully the racoons will move on to crash someone else’s party.
2) That’s a great New Years Day dinner!
3) Whew I’m glad the art grade got sorted our and Only’s blood pressure has returned to normal range. Only is a very caring and invested mom! Stormy is lucky!
4) Sorry the frustration of writing and creativity didn’t return to full steam in the New Year. It’s getting harder for most of us for sooo many reasons. But you can do it! You always do it!
5) Cool of LG to judge the contest! I hope it’s interesting for him. And yay for your lunch date at your favorite TexMex (I haven’t heard that term in a while for some reason) restaurant! Enjoy!
Hope you had a good time at Stormy’s honors program (I remember those days with my kids!) Happy Weekend!
January 6th, 2023 at 5:51 pm · Link
Viki, I should buy hiking boots, but I have zero experience with that. I need to ask someone who does.
1) Putting the stuff away is not as much fun as taking it all out and setting it up.
2) Sorry hubs is still not feeling well. I was hoping he’d be better. The cancelled or postponed trip is a bummer.
3) I bet that’s stressful waiting. I hope it solves the problems for you.
4) I’ll be thinking of your brother going through the radiation treatments. And praying this gets rid of any remaining hot spots for him. It’ll be worth it if it does.
5) Yikes that is expensive, BUT it’ll be worth it in my opinion! If you have to buy it you might as well get the one you want. You’ll use it all the time. Those price tags are painful!
Hope you’re able to find your stove, and all goes well with getting set up for radiation for your brother. Targeted radiation has come a long ways. Have a great weekend!