TGIF! How is it even Friday? Well apparently it is, so it’s time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- The weather has been high sixties and seventies. Since we’ve had a fair amount of cold weather, I appreciate the nice days more than usual.
- Maggie and I discovered a new set of hiking trails. We had to walk, I don’t know, maybe three quarters of a mile through streets to get to it, but boy, was I surprised. It’s less brush, and wider trails that feel safer. But I should find someone to walk with me for safety. The only two people I can think of willing to do it are oldest son, or middle daughter-in-law and they live too far away. Wizard agrees that only crazy people do this, LOL. From the trails, we could see the poppies spreading like a virus over hills that are a few miles away.
- We also found this secret spot that was interesting. It’s not easy to access, but maybe BMX or dirt bike jumps?
- Yesterday I made a little sourdough starter, and we’ll see if it grows. Wizard eyed the weird sludge in a jar on the kitchen counter and asked what I was doing. I told him a secret science experiment. It drove him nuts for a couple hours until I finally explained I’m trying to grow wild yeast. Once I assured him it’s only flour and water and it won’t kill him, he lost interest And still on the subject of baking, I’m going to test a gluten free/dairy free cake recipe and if it’s good I’ll make it for youngest’s birthday. But dang…the cost of ingredients! I had to run to the store for one ingredient for the cake, and two ingredients to make Chicken Francese for dinner. I bought dairy free baking butter, some white wine and a small bottle of sage (a spice), and spent nearly $25.00. I never used to even blink when I ran to the store to pick up a couple ingredients I was missing, but now I think hard if I really need to go to the store!
- Wizard is racing this weekend, and I’m taking each day as it comes to decide what to do. Which oddly, makes me think of something Wizard said. So I was listening to a podcast by a group that analyzes behavior in crimes. I find them interesting, especially two of them who have significant experience in military interrogation techniques. Wizard comes in and asked me what I was listening too and I told him. He nodded, then as he walked away, said, “I feel a book starting.” By the time what he’d said registered with me, he was already outside. I was so surprised. I’m not writing, he knows and supports that. Now his comment is floating around in my brain making me wonder what he’s observing in me that I’m not seeing??? I swear he probably just said it to mess with me because I made him what a couple hours to find out what my “science experiment” is
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!