Friday, February 17th, 2023
TGIF! Friday showed up again! Okay, let’s get right to sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I bought a book I was excited to read, and yet it’s sitting on my side table untouched. I rarely just sit down during the day, mostly because the tinnitus will drive me crazy, so I’ve gotten in the habit of staying in motion (that’s not a bad thing!). But at some point, I’m sure I’ll start reading and get hooked as it’s by one of my fave authors.
- So I went to another specialist this week for my stomach. I was dreading it for a lot of reasons — one of them being that I was going to have to explain the whole backstory. But I knew I had to do it, so I gathered up copies of all the tests I’ve done so far and went. Much to my surprised this youngish doctor came in the room, and without any notes, was able to tell me the results of all my scans, labs and procedures and the conclusions the previous GI doctor had reached so far. Then he asked me a series of specific questions and listened to my answers. I was surprised and pretty impressed. As I’ve said before, the most scary things have been ruled out. I’m doing better right now, and carefully watching my diet. This appointment was to get established and do a few more tests to work out the root problem, but his will take months. The point is I’m really impressed with someone who does their job and does it well.
- Wizard and I went out to dinner last night as a late Valentines. We haven’t been out in a long time, and we were absolutely shocked at the wait time! We thought we were going early, but still had to wait more than 30 minutes. We had a good time though. But I honestly wondered how many people eat at home anymore???
- I made fondant yesterday. This involves marshmallows and powdered sugar and it’s a HUGE mess. I really should have taken a picture, including me covered in the white powder! But even though it’s a huge mess and is major pain with all the kneading and pulling like taffy, the homemade fondant is soooo much easier to work with. I made this just to have on hand for future projects.
- Youngest had a birthday this week, and we’re having him and his wife over Sunday to celebrate. I’m looking forward to that! So is Maggie Hopefully he will like the cake. A gluten-free cake doesn’t have the same crumb, rise or structure as a cake that has flour containing gluten, but it’s still pretty good.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!
February 17th, 2023 at 8:33 am · Link
Ignore typos. I hear you on the reading. Ugh on the tinnitusa. Yay for new doc. Yay for dinner out and good times with Wiz. Yay for fondant messes and Youngest and other half caming for dinner. My five.
1. I’m alive. LOLOL
2. I can’t see anything up close without a magnifying glasss. That vision correrection will come after both ey surgeries and healing. I CAN see distances now–for the first time in my life. I can watch TV without glassesses. It’s weird.
3. Go home Mother Nature, you’re drunk. Again! Thursday, there was snow in the NW part of the state, severe T-storms in the SE part of the state and the 68 degress and sunny in the middle swath of the state frunning XW to NE. I’ll take the 68 we had though we still ned rain.
4. I <3 my doctor and his staff. Healing is going well. Pressure in both eyes is down by half in the surgery eye and 11 points in the "bad" eye that gets surgery Tuesday. He's happy. I'm happy. Right eye vision has gone from 20.80 to almost 20/30. It was still partially dilated when I did the vision test the day after. All good stuff.
5. Not Friday Fi8ve without Pete. He decided Sunday night he wanted to come in so he slept with me. Then it got really cold last night so he came in and slept with me. The dogs ignore him and Loki doesn't quite know what to do with himself, not that lock sleepops with me or wants pets. LOL
Have a great week. All. As computer work is a pain, I'll be mostly MIA agai but I'm around if not not catching comments or replying.
February 17th, 2023 at 3:58 pm · Link
1. I hear you on staying in motion. It’s good but it really does put a cramp in my reading too.
2. Wow! I’m impressed that a young doctor listened. I’ve not had that luck with most young ones. They tend to know it all so I’m very happy this yours is well trained and looks to be a good doctor. The dr. patient rapport is so important.
3. We’ve noticed that about people eating out recently too. Maybe they’re making up for when they didn’t go out because of the plague. I’m glad you had a good time.
4. Oh a photo of you covered in white powder would have been funny. Sorry it was such a pain to work with.
5. I’m sure youngest will love the cake. I remember when you used to make BLB those cakes just covered in candy. Isn’t funny how our boys grow up :).
1a. Harrison is all excited about driving up here tomorrow. He can’t wait to see POPS (hubs new nickname). POPS can’t wait to see him either.
2a. I’m praying all goes well while Harrison is here. Stress can make things difficult for hubs.
3a. My mother admitted today that she’s considering calling hospice.
4a. My neice (Julie’s daughter) had her entire apartment complex burn down. They and the kitty got out but 67 families lost everything.
5a. This train disaster is so sickening. I can’t get over how the government (both federal and state) along with the railroad planned the burn of the chemical cars basically destroying the town.
Those people are almost all poor. The average income is less than $40K.
Where are all the environmentalist right now? We can’t have gasoline cars but we can nuke a town. Sorry – we’re all a bit angry.
I sure hope you have a good weekend and enjoy celebrating youngest’s birthday.
February 17th, 2023 at 7:10 pm · Link
Silver, it’s awesome to see you here! But please continue to take care of yourself, and put yourself first while dealing with the two eyes surgeries and recovery!
1) For which I am danged happy about!
2) I can relate to that being weird since I can’t see much without my contacts/glasses. I am glad your distance has improved, and hopeful your close up vision will do the same.
3) Your state is definitely weather bi-polar. I don’t know what’s got mother nature on a bender these days.
4) I love your doctor too for correcting and preserving as much of your vision as possible! All this is really unfun for you right now, but so worth it in the long wrong. Hope LG and the kitties are all hanging in there. I know the dogs are fine, they tend to roll with things.
5) Pete is becoming your cat for sure. I suspect he appreciate you letting him choose. Hope he was a comfort to you as you’re dealing with recovery.
Keep taking care of yourself! Hope it’s a good weekend all things considered.
February 17th, 2023 at 7:20 pm · Link
Viki, this doctor reminded me of my nephew who is also a doctor. Very committed with an ability to hear patient. I’ve had pretty much the whole range of doctors over my life, a couple who were downright dangerous. So I really appreciate the good ones!
I remember on youngest and the candy cakes, LOL! Those were fun times!
1) Hubby and Harrison have such a great relationship!
2) I can fully understand your concern. Maybe after this weekend, they will have a fuller understanding of what your husband is going through (I don’t know what it is, and I don’t need to know — I just understand how people not living in the house don’t always fully grasp the situation).
3) Was that both hard and good to hear from your mom? I’m really sorry, this is always so painful. But on the upside, hospice in my experience has provided good care that hopefully will keep her comfortable and safer.
4) That’s awful for your niece and all the families. I’m so sorry. The only bright spot is the humans and kitty got out. But recovering from that kind of disaster is not an easy road.
5) You know, I was just saying to Wizard today at lunch that I have not been following this train wreck, and I can see I need to get up to dates, so thank you for mentioning it. It sounds horrific and I don’t blame you all for being angry! If it helps at all, I have heard environmentalists here being angry and outraged, but again, I wasn’t following it so that was just on my peripheral.
I hope you all have a good weekend and fun with Harrison! I hope hubs does okay too, and doesn’t wear you out.