Friday, March 3rd, 2023
TGIF!! Let’s jump into sharing 5 random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Boy were we surprised! Wednesday we had high winds, rain, hail and finally SNOW in the afternoon! It was only for about 20 minutes but very fun for us. I’d say it’s the perfect amount since we have no real desire to live in the snow
- I am once again getting my Humira after weeks of it being held hostage for a supposed deductible that was in the thousands. I spent weeks on this, calling four different entities involved (it’s very complicated), and one doctor appointment. My doctor by the way was furious, but there was nothing he could do to fix it. What’s a little frustrating is that I don’t know specifically who of all the people I talked to actually fixed it, but I am very grateful to them for doing it. It just goes to show that sometimes even when we can’t see instant results, things are being done behind the scene. And that “keep trying” often works.
- I’ve officially named my new starter attempt Rye-N. He’s clearly a boy, if I ever make a gluten free starter, then that one will be a girl. And speaking of hobbies, lets transition to talking about yoga. My latest is an attempt to get better at yoga pose transitions. Specifically I want to do a better jump up from the down dog pose to forward fold. But my age and the titanium plate in my neck do not make this the most realistic goals Wizard just shakes his head when he sees me watching instructional videos on this. But to his credit, he doesn’t laugh out loud. While I might dream of doing it, I’m pretty good at knowing my limits once I start to try it. I really don’t want to get hurt!
- Yesterday oldest called in the afternoon when he was driving somewhere. It was a fun conversation about nothing in particular. Some of it was stories he was telling me that had me laughing. But I just took a moment to appreciate that even heading into his super busy tax season — he’ll find time to check in with us. Oh and then I laughed when Wizard called youngest daughter-in-law to see if it was snowing where she is too. She answered with, “Yep it’s snowing here too!” I just cracked up. It’s not like he calls her a lot, but she definitely knew why he was calling Youngest son had gone into work (as opposed to working from home) that day and missed it.
- Today I’m meeting Biker Witch for coffee, and tomorrow we’re going out to see Middle Son, his wife and my two beloved grand pups, Jett and Hazel. This has been a priority for Wizard and I for about three weeks now, so we’ll be really glad to see them!
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
March 3rd, 2023 at 7:38 am · Link
Cool snow. I bet you can count on one hand the number of times that’s happened for you. I’m glad you finally got your Humira again, but I’m sorry getting it was such a trial. Yay for Rye-N and yoga! Yay for thoughtful and communicative kids and LOL about Wizard. Enjoy your coffee with Biker Witch and your visit with the kids and grandpups.
1) We had some excitement at work yesterday when a crazy chick stopped by. I only heard about it because my office is in the back, but it caused quite the uproar. I bet they’ll still be talking about it today.
2) I’m not sure what I did but my left shoulder is killing me today. I’m going to blame the weather combined with the long phone calls yesterday. Holding the phone against my ear while I type, doncha know.
3) I’ve been talking with some people at the local women’s shelter lately (no, I don’t need them, they need me) and it makes me sad that I can’t help them all. Domestic violence shouldn’t exist, let alone continue to ruin someone’s life after it’s over.
4) The misconception that I am a man (over the phone and on the internet) continues to amuse me.
5) The local school had a special day off on Wednesday. Trout Day – because it was the opening of trout fishing season here in MO. All I could think of was ‘yeah, like the kids need another day off’. It’s not like they’re churning out Rhodes Scholars up there. Sheesh.
March 3rd, 2023 at 9:44 am · Link
Everything B.E. said. LOL That makes it easy. From Wednesday: “…Steve. It’s such a pretty name” comes from the animated movie “Over the Hedge.” Uncle Fix-It’s BiL is named Steve so that line is a huge James Gang inside joke. LOL
1. Mother Nature is still on a bender. We had 13 tornadoes in the state Sunday night, including–according to National Weather Service–one measured at F1 here. Uhm…there was damage about a mile away on both sides of us but nothing within city limits.
2. As a result of the storms and damage, my normal Monday Wallyworld trip was postponed until Tuesday. Jake and I spent almost an hour stuck in traffic and running detours only to find the road blocked every time. We didn’t even get Starbucks. Tuesday, was good so that was a yay.
3. Wednesday was my birthday. Spent the morning at DMEI. Good news. Vision in right eye is at 20/25 and vision in left is 20/900 (though blurry but I can make out some of the lines and know what letters they form). The “highest” the eye test goes is 20/1250 (which is basically legally blind). Anyway, improvement! It won’t ever be exactly “right” but every step forward is a good one!
4. LG and I went out for dinner Wednesday night, to our favorite BBQ place. Jake went too and he was such a good boy. A group left not long after we were served and they had a service dog too. It was kinda cool. Also, really good ribs and brisket!
5. On the way home, LG kept watching something in the sky. It was directly in front of use as we traveled a couple of miles west and then ran parallel with us as we turned and drove a couple of miles north. When we turned back to the west to go home, it was right in front of us. Two bright lights. We drove the two miles to lake that’s just left of us and parked as we tried to figure out what was happening. UFOS! Yeah…no. I finally remembered seeing an article about the “Venus Kiss”–a planatary configuration when Venus and Jupituer are in conjunction and look like they are almost touching. We both had our “star gazer” apps on to confirm that’s what we were seeing. On the way home, LG said, “We’ve been watching too much ‘Strange Evidence’ and ‘Paranormal Caught on Camera.’ I replied. “Nope, because if we had, one or both of use would have been videoing the the things.” Yeah, we laughed all the way home.
Sorry, no Pete or Loki story today. Spring soccer starts tomorrow. It’ll be a little chilly but not bad and I’ll be able to actually SEE the game clearly. Sunday, it’s supposed to be 75 but then late next week comes the possibility of snow. GO HOME, MOTHER NATURE!!! YOU’RE STILL DRUNK!!! Have a great weekend all!
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:26 pm · Link
I keep trying to post but no matter which device or platform I use I get an error message that there is something wrong with your server.
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:29 pm · Link
B.E., yeah, I can think of 3 times we’ve had actual snow here. For us it’s just fun. For all of you, it’s real weather And thanks on my meds, at least I could get mine. So many people can’t these days for similar reasons. And I had a great day with Biker Witch!
1) Crazy chick must have been interesting. Hopefully she didn’t cause any lasting problems.
2) Oh yeah, I can see where the cold + holding the phone like that will cause your shoulder to hurt. Maybe a head set? I use a blue tooth one sometimes, and it does help my shoulder (from my neck problems).
3) AMEN to all you said. It’s wonderful that you are doing something to help (even if you’re just listening). It’s upsetting that anyone has to go through that — and then continue to suffer.
4) It’s interesting how people make assumptions. Maybe they expected a man for some reasons? Who knows. We humans are endlessly weird.
5) I’m with you on the school holiday thing too. I mean can’t they go trout finishing on the weekends? But I’m pretty rigid about thinking kids actually need an education, and also that the schools should actually educate (and parents should actually parent their kids and not expect schools to do it). But I may just be getting old
I hope your shoulder feels better and you have a great weekend!
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:41 pm · Link
Silver, I could NOT find the reference, but I doubt I was using the right keywords. Thank you for clearing that up!
1) YIKES!! That’s a scary about of tornados and way too strong! I’m glad you are okay.
2) Sorry about the aftermath of the tornado causing more traffic problems.
3) First — good attitude! And yes, every step forward matters. I wish you didn’t have to deal with this, but I’m glad your making progress and hope there’s more improvement.
4) Yay for seeing another service dog! Of course Jake was a good boy. And I love BBQ so I say YUM!
5) So true!!! Yeah I saw that the two planets were aligned but I didn’t know they’d be that vivid. That’s so cool! LOL on the videoing!
Ah, I miss Pete and Loki but know they will do something fun to report soon enough. Maybe if you’re real nice to the Spring like temps they’ll stick around and keep the snow away? Have fun at the soccer game and a good weekend!
March 3rd, 2023 at 6:43 pm · Link
Viki, I’m sure it’s my server, Technical issues are popping up then vanishing. I’m so sorry. I didn’t get a response from my website designer last time I contacted her which is extremely unusual. I’ll try again next week, I just need to remind myself to do it. I may need to move the site to a different host or something.
Again I’m sorry and hope you have a good weekend.