Friday, March 31st, 2023
TGIF! Is it just me, or is time flying? Okay, let’s get right to sharing five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- I think it’s obvious that I’m still not writing. But I am living a happy life doing all the things I didn’t have time to do when I was writing. That surprises me in a way. Writing has been such a big part of who I am that I wasn’t sure I could be happy not doing it. Life can surprise us. But I do think about stories and ideas, so who knows what the future has in store.
- I finally ordered my standing planter for my herbs and I’m excited! I know it’s a little thing, but I’ve been looking forward to getting to this point in our backyard plans. Once we get it assembled (thoughts and prayers for a swear-free experience, please ), I will be able to get my herbs! The standing planter is pretty small and easily moved, so I can easily protect the plants from the elements when needed. I’m not big gardener, but fresh herbs are just one of those little things in life that make me happy.
- Wizard has a birthday next week, and I just got all the things I need to make him a mini cheesecake as he requested. He’s pretty happy about that And I’m happy as I can get another use out of two mini spring form pans that I recently bought. I think I’m also going to try making sourdough bread again. I’ve decided to use the same recipe and maybe do a couple tiny tweaks. I think sticking with the same recipe for the first few times will help me learn the feel of the dough better. Experience is the best teacher. Thankfully the bread seems to freeze well too.
- I’ve been researching microbiomes, gut health and various related things. Let me just say that this is a huge rabbit hole! I fell in hard, LOL! And then I kept stumbling into new rabbit holes like sugar in children’s school breakfasts and I don’t even know how I ended up there. Then my incessant need to verify stated facts with my own research sucks me into an endless tunnel system of rabbit holes via Google! I’m not sure I’ll ever escape now. Don’t believe me? I can now tell you what the elementary school nearest us offers for breakfast to those who cant have it at home, and I don’t have school aged children. I actually had to look that up to see if what I was reading was correct (sadly, it was correct). That is only one of the rabbit holes! I think I need an intervention!
- This weekend, Wizard is racing, and I’m meeting Special K to take Turbo to a little craft show/Easter egg hunt. It’s by their house and sounds like a fun thing to do. I’m looking forward to it!
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
March 31st, 2023 at 7:10 am · Link
If not-writing is making you happy, then yay. I hope there’ll be more writing in the future (for us both), but we have to do what we have to do. :hugs: Yay for your herb stand! Yay for mini-cheesecake and bread! Happy Birthday, Wizard!! LOL about the rabbit holes. Yay for fun things to do on your weekend!
1) When I started working, I told myself to be careful not to try to take over. And I was doing pretty good until yesterday when the natural manager in me came out and wanted to play. Gotta rein that in a bit.
2) We’re in talks to get us a kitty. Not this weekend, but maybe next. :fingers crossed:
3) The local shelter has a flame-point Siamese mix. While I was laying in bed not sleeping last night, I got the idea to name him Etcetera… so that when I call him, I can play King of Siam. “Etcerera, Etcetera, Etcetera” Well, Hubs thought it was funny.
4) Ugh, I’ve got to get some motivation and get ready for work, but I’d rather play on the internet.
5) Tomorrow is April Fools Day. I don’t do pranks, so thank goodness it’s a Saturday and I won’t have to be around people. 4/1 is also an anniversary of sorts for us. Tomorrow is the date when we first met in person. =o)
March 31st, 2023 at 11:03 am · Link
Happiness is important and good on you for finding alternatives. Yay for herbs, b-days, cheesecake, Turbo and Special K Time, and rabbit holes. I love the FUBI(?-or whatever streaming service it is) commercial with the Harvey-sized rabbits carrying and/or dragging people and tossing them into the rabbit hole with all the monitors lining the walls and people getting lost in the shows. LOL Okay, my five:
1. LG and I have had the crud all week. I went 72 hours without coffee because I was too tired/sick to make it. Nasty stuff. The crud, not the coffee.
2. As LG was already sick Saturday, I went to Stormy’s soccer match alone. He did great and won team’s sportsmanship of the week award.
3. I had to break down and drag myself to Wallyworld. We were out of the necessities. LOL
4. Yesterday was Opening Day. The Cardinals always have an amazing ceremony and it was topped off by pitcher Adam Wainright singing the National Anthem. All kinds of awesome. And then the game was crazy! Sadly, the Cards ended up losing to the Blue Jays 10-9. Ah well.
5. Rumor has it that cat purrs can help heal. Pete came in and slept with me last night. I do feel some better today, even though he pooped on the bathroom rug. At least he didn’t pee. LOL And the rug is currently out in the wild Okie wind drying after being washed. Fun times.
Soccer tomorrow if Stormy is feeling better. He threw up this morning right before time to leave for school. Oops. We hope it was something he ate and not a virus because his dad has tournament games this weekend and they were going to head to his games after soccer and lunch with us. We’ll see in the morning. And on that note, I’ve been up and moving as long as I want to be today. I’m headed back to bed. Don’t want to jinx what progress I’ve made. Have a great weekend all.
March 31st, 2023 at 2:34 pm · Link
1. It’s really great that you have embraced all that you can do when not writing. It doesn’t mean you won’t go back, just that you are a person with many aptitudes.
2. Fresh herbs are the best – enjoy!
3. Happy Birthday Wizard! Oh, I like the idea of mini cheesecakes. No waste. Good idea on the bread too.
4. I get trapped in those holes too and they end up taking all my time.
5. Sure hope Wizard wins. You guys have lots of fun at the craft show and egg hunt!
1a. Middle and hubs left yesterday morning for TN. I was so worried he was going to back out. He started having an incident Wednesday evening and then didn’t sleep. Thank heaven he went. SO far he’s having a bunch of fun. Harrison’s school is also a farm that the kids can work on (play with the animals) after school. Well, Paw Paw went to school today and boy was he happy he did. They had a baby goat born last night. Hubs loves goats. They let him get up close and personal with the little guy.
2a. Last night Youngest took me out to dinner. It was so nice, just the two of us. I even had a glass of Malbec. There was a man playing Spanish guitar too. Just lovely. I told kid how much I enjoy listening to Spanish guitar, so he gave the man a nice tip.
3a. Today I did a bunch of cleaning. Got the floors washed and even washed blankets.
4a. I tried to call my mom but she’s on heavy morphine and was not happy that I woke her up. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
5a. Tomorrow I’m going to the hardware store and picking up tomato cages. The sale begins for the month and the cages are only $5.99, $4 off. I’m going to pick up a few for the boys too.
B.E. – Etcetera is a great name!
Silver – The cat purr is supposed to be healing in that it relaxes you and resets your internal body rhythm.
I sure hope your weather isn’t too awful. Have a nice weekend.
March 31st, 2023 at 4:35 pm · Link
B.E., thanks! Okay let’s jump into your five:
1) That’s a tough one! Some of us are just wired to get things done
2) That is exciting news!! I can’t wait to see pics once you do get a kitty!
3) That’s a really cute name!
4) Hope you found your motivation to get on with the workday.
5) The problem with prinks, in my opinion, is one person’s humor is another persons annoyance or meanness. Glad you are able to avoid it!
Have a great weekend!
March 31st, 2023 at 4:44 pm · Link
Silver, I haven’t seen that commercial, I may try to find it!
1) Yikes you guys got an ugly bug of some kind. I hate that you’ve been so sick and full recovery is taking more time than you’d like. Remember when we were a kid or in our twenties and recovered in like 10 minutes???
2) Yay for Stormy!!
3) Glad you summoned the energy and will to get the necessities, but that had to be a slog for you since you’re not yet back to fighting form.
4) At least they had a good opening day until those final, painful moments. It sounds like a good game!
5) I believe animals can help us heal! Hope the rug survived
I’m crossing my fingers that Stormy isn’t getting the same crud and everyone has a great weekend! Also hope you guys don’t get hit with the ugly weather I’m hearing about over parts of the country. Stay safe!
March 31st, 2023 at 4:54 pm · Link
Viki, that’s exactly why I wanted to do the mini cheesecakes. The regular cheesecakes are normally huge and we can’t eat that much. Plus I really can’t eat more than a bite or two (we aren’t telling Wizard that — he’ll try to accommodate me and I want him to have what he wants for his b-day). Now for you!
1) I’m so glad he was able to go! It’s probably good for both of you. I love how excited he is about the baby goat — I would be too.
2) Your dinner with youngest sounds so nice, and the Malbec was that perfect touch I love those special one-to-one moments. They don’t have to happen often, but we sure cherish them when they do (I know how much you value family).
3) Cleaning is exhausting. I’ve been doing a fair amount over the week. It feels good when it’s done (mentally if not physically, LOL).
4) I’m sorry you weren’t able to talk to your mom for long. Hope she’s more up to a chat tomorrow.
5) You’re going to have beautiful, delicious tomatoes! And you’re finding good prices which is a great bonus!
Hope you have a really nice weekend!
April 2nd, 2023 at 9:23 am · Link
It’s Tubi streaming. Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtyxWvifru8