TGIF! You know what that means! Time to share five random things about our week. Let’s do this!
- The week is ending better than it started. You know those cupcakes in the fridge? They have to be dizzy by now! I’ve had them in and out of the freezer quite a few times (but never long enough to defrost) in an attempt to go to Wizard’s mom’s. But it just didn’t happen this week. He called her on her birthday, we have a gift and cupcakes, but life is just a little twisty. Every plan we make gets changed multiple times. We thought we’d go today but…
- Wizard got called in for Jury Duty. Here in CA, you’re on standby for a week, and you’re call each night to find out if you go in the next day. Each day has been a mystery, and then last night, he was told to come in. So far, he’s called me twice and texted twice, and he’s not impressed. He got a judge who has decided to treat possible jurors like prisoners or kindergarteners. I’d gloat but…guess what came in the mail for me yesterday?? My jury duty summons. This is a plot to annoy us. Yes, yes, I get the whole civic duty thing. Whatever.
- So yesterday we had to stay home for an appointment. So we’ve lived in this house more than six months now, and the day we picked up the keys, we were told that the garage side door had been keyed incorrectly. This is an easy fix — all they had to do was replace the doorknob and key it to our housekeys. We were promised this constantly, but for reasons that confound logic — no one could ever manage to find a doorknob and do it. Even though houses are being built in this same track all day every day. And they all have doorknobs keyed to the owners keys! It’s like magic! Finally we got annoyed and submitted a claim higher up. What we thought would happen is the higher up would tell the foreman to grab a doorknob, and spend four minutes replacing and rekeying it. Nope, they put in a call to Door Specialists. I can’t make this stuff up, the sent out an employee of Hakes Sash & Door to resolve this complex problem. The expert confirmed the obvious problem — we needed a new doorknob. But of course he didn’t have one because this is not a call they get. Like ever. So they had to order a doorknob. It took 8 weeks to arrive. Why? No freaking idea! Then they scheduled an appointment with the same door expert to install it. And finally the new doorknob was installed. And that is why we stayed home yesterday. Is this not a dumb boring story?? I’d like to point out that we wanted to go to my mother-in-laws, but we were trapped at home waiting for a doorknob. That’s like a worse excuse than my dog ate my homework. It’s been a truly weird week, trust me.
- I put Willa my previously freeze-dried sourdough starter to work! I used a new recipe for sourdough yesterday and Willa did her job so well! I fermented it overnight and baked it today. The bread looks good. I don’t know how it tastes yet as I’m writing this yesterday before we ate any. I’m looking forward to it! I eat very little gluten but a slice of sourdough if it’s long-fermented is usually okay. (If you’re are interested, the long fermentation helps breakdown some of the troublesome fructans and gluten). Here’s a picture of one of the two loaves (the second one goes in the freezer to keep the cupcakes company):
- Tomorrow we are going to the airshow. At least that’s the plan, although with this week anything could happen We haven’t been in a very long time, and decided to pay for actual seats (on folding chairs, LOL). Naturally, the heat chose this week to show up, but we should be fine for a couple hours or so. We both are looking forward to it if nothing else decides to go wonky this week.
And that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I’m sure yours will be vastly more interesting and not involved a long winded story about a doorknob. I hope everyone has a great weekend!