Another whirlwind week and it’s time to do our Friday Five where we list five random things about our week.
- The Florida school shooting. We were as horrified as everyone else, and our hearts break for all the victims, the traumatized students, teachers, staff, families, first responders, and all the hearts hurt by this. Where our pity stops is for the shooter. Before he picked up that gun and chose to murder, I would have been a vocal advocate for resources to get him help. I respect and admire those who seek out help. But the second he pulled that trigger, I don’t care if he’s mentally ill. There are people all over our world who struggle with mental illness and they don’t commit cold-blooded, terrorizing murder. A very few do, of course, but most don’t. My pity stops there. (And I don’t blindly blame families and friends with the “they should have known” syndrome either–many families fight to save loved ones on a terrible path and they simply can’t.)
- Onto lighter, happier things, today is Youngest Son (BLB’s) birthday. We’re celebrating on Sunday. This is typical BLB, he called us the other night to firm up some plans. Then I told BLB, “Hey I was on your company website the other day, and saw that you are assistant controller. You didn’t tell us!” And BLB’s response? “Nope, I was waiting until I make controller to tell you.” That is Classic BLB. He sets a goal and works to achieve it, but he doesn’t brag. Youngest is totally the strong and silent type
- Saturday, I’m going dress shopping with our Family Wine Connoisseur (Middle’s fiance!) and her family and friends. It’s going to be fun. Being a mother-in-law is so awesome. And I’m so proud of Middle Son. He’s trying to give her and her mom a wedding that means something to them. He told me how important that was, along with budget and I just wanted to hug him for being a great guy and putting his future wife’s needs (and heart) front and center.
- Five weeks until our grandson is due! Special K is already an awesome mom, and CPA Boy can’t wait. He calls me once or twice a week on his way home from work to tell me about about it. And Special K keeps me up to date with her appointments, concerns or fun stuff. Wizard and I are looking forward to being grandparents.
- Maggie is such a showoff. Honestly, she’s not super well-trained like dogs I’ve seen. I never let her off leash, and she can pull on heel when excited, the assorted normal stuff. One older gentleman calls me “The Dog Trainer,” every time I see him–usually when he’s walking his little dog. I saw him yesterday talking to another man and he was saying it again. I stopped and was chatting, telling him that Maggie is just an easy dog and I really didn’t do anything. Which is true. The other man broke in and said, “Look at her, she’s sitting at your side without you doing anything.” That’s when the older man added, “That’s what I mean, you have a connection with her that’s special, you handle her in a way she understands.” Guys, that meant so much to me. He wasn’t saying Maggie was perfect after all, he was commenting on our relationship. That was pretty awesome moment.
I wish I had time to write this weekend, but it’s going to be pretty nonstop.
So that’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend!