Friday, February 16th, 2018
Another whirlwind week and it’s time to do our Friday Five where we list five random things about our week.
- The Florida school shooting. We were as horrified as everyone else, and our hearts break for all the victims, the traumatized students, teachers, staff, families, first responders, and all the hearts hurt by this. Where our pity stops is for the shooter. Before he picked up that gun and chose to murder, I would have been a vocal advocate for resources to get him help. I respect and admire those who seek out help. But the second he pulled that trigger, I don’t care if he’s mentally ill. There are people all over our world who struggle with mental illness and they don’t commit cold-blooded, terrorizing murder. A very few do, of course, but most don’t. My pity stops there. (And I don’t blindly blame families and friends with the “they should have known” syndrome either–many families fight to save loved ones on a terrible path and they simply can’t.)
- Onto lighter, happier things, today is Youngest Son (BLB’s) birthday. We’re celebrating on Sunday. This is typical BLB, he called us the other night to firm up some plans. Then I told BLB, “Hey I was on your company website the other day, and saw that you are assistant controller. You didn’t tell us!” And BLB’s response? “Nope, I was waiting until I make controller to tell you.” That is Classic BLB. He sets a goal and works to achieve it, but he doesn’t brag. Youngest is totally the strong and silent type
- Saturday, I’m going dress shopping with our Family Wine Connoisseur (Middle’s fiance!) and her family and friends. It’s going to be fun. Being a mother-in-law is so awesome. And I’m so proud of Middle Son. He’s trying to give her and her mom a wedding that means something to them. He told me how important that was, along with budget and I just wanted to hug him for being a great guy and putting his future wife’s needs (and heart) front and center.
- Five weeks until our grandson is due! Special K is already an awesome mom, and CPA Boy can’t wait. He calls me once or twice a week on his way home from work to tell me about about it. And Special K keeps me up to date with her appointments, concerns or fun stuff. Wizard and I are looking forward to being grandparents.
- Maggie is such a showoff. Honestly, she’s not super well-trained like dogs I’ve seen. I never let her off leash, and she can pull on heel when excited, the assorted normal stuff. One older gentleman calls me “The Dog Trainer,” every time I see him–usually when he’s walking his little dog. I saw him yesterday talking to another man and he was saying it again. I stopped and was chatting, telling him that Maggie is just an easy dog and I really didn’t do anything. Which is true. The other man broke in and said, “Look at her, she’s sitting at your side without you doing anything.” That’s when the older man added, “That’s what I mean, you have a connection with her that’s special, you handle her in a way she understands.” Guys, that meant so much to me. He wasn’t saying Maggie was perfect after all, he was commenting on our relationship. That was pretty awesome moment.
I wish I had time to write this weekend, but it’s going to be pretty nonstop.
So that’s my Friday Five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
February 16th, 2018 at 7:00 am · Link
Happy Birthday, BLB! Yay for dress shopping! I’m so glad they’re including you in everything. Yay for grandbaby! Also glad they’re including you. And, as always, yay for Maggie and your special connection. :hugs: (I’m focusing on the happy here.)
1) I plan to finish the polishing phase on Blink today. Then one more proofread over the weekend before I upload it to Amazon. Book 10 is almost done. Whew.
2) I added instant coffee to my coffee this morning. It was a need.
3) The weather here has been crazypants. Like 72 degrees yesterday – in the middle of freakin’ February – and then high of 43 today. Blerg.
4) We were watching the Westminster dog agility thing the other day. The 8-inch dog category. So cute and so funny to watch those little dogs going through the course.
5) I can’t think of a fifth thing. Need more coffee.
February 16th, 2018 at 10:45 am · Link
Happy Birthday, BLB! He is made of awesome, but looking at his parents, I’m not surprised. I can’t wait until she says “Yes to the dress!” How fun for everyone and MS is so sweet and conscientious. Again, not surprised, considering. My birthday is about 2 weeks away. I’m still holding out for grandbaby’s arrival on it. Maggie and you are special! I, too, am focusing on the happy. Now to my five…
1. I made some real headway on rearranging and decluttering my office. I sill get that gazelle out or else! (Of course, once it’s out, I actually need to use it. )
2. I got words written! I’d hoped to be finished by this weekend. Doubt that happens but I’m way closer.
3. Several weeks ago, I was contacted by the folks at National Novel Writing Month to write a post for their blog. I did and it went live Wednesday night and was mentioned in their newsletter sent out yesterday. It’s received nice feedback.
4. Did I mention that I was picked to present a 20 x 3 panel at RWA Nationals? It’s a round-robin deal where people come for a quick, 20 minute program and then move to the next room. I’ll be doing my “Beyond the Arched Brow” program on showing facial expressions and body language to show emotions.
5. I gave up on listening to/reading new books this week and resorted to my chicken-soup book, NAKED IN DEATH. I’ve moved on to the second book in the series. There’s a reason I love these books.
Have a great weekend, everyone! Can’t wait for your Monday wrap-up of weekend activities, Jen.
February 16th, 2018 at 4:33 pm · Link
Happy Birthday to BLB! Hope you all have a great time celebrating. I like how modest he is, it’s really sweet.
Have a great time dress shopping. Here’s to all of you finding the perfect dress.
DIL’s are great. It’s fantastic that they both keep you in the loop on everything. It’s so much fun :). When that little guy gets here you will never stop smiling when you look at him.
Maggie and you do have a great bond. It was apparent right from the start that the two of you had something special.
1. Had the cyst removed. What a pain in the butt. My brother just called to say it was the week for both of us to have injuries of sorts. He put a screwdriver through his hand hitting the bone in the hand leading to the index finger.
2. Harrison had his 4 month dr. appointment and he is a bruiser – 15.9 pounds. And we’re supposed to figure he’s really only 1 1/2 months old when you subtract the premature birth. Don’t even want to think how much he’d weigh if he’d gone full term ;).
3. My garage door broke this morning :(. The repair guy gave me a break and said it was a wire on the paperwork because he had the part I needed on his truck and gave it to me for free :).
4. Have to go shopping tomorrow. I ran out of all kinds of stuff this week.
5. So many birds have shown up at the feeder it’s driving Spunk crazy. Poor kitty ;).
Have a really great time this weekend!
February 16th, 2018 at 9:42 pm · Link
B.E, thanks on all the comments on my five, now let’s talk about yours!
1) You’re blazing hot on your books! Great job! Hope proofreading is painless this weekend and it all uploads smoothly.
2) You added some serious kick to your coffee this morning.
3) That’s a wild weather swing. Mother Nature is super moody this year (or is that me???)
4) We watched some of the agility too! It’s so fun to see the pups. I love big dogs, but the little guys are so danged fast!
I hope you have a great weekend!
February 16th, 2018 at 9:52 pm · Link
Silver, given how big Special K is (all baby!), the baby may arrive on your birthday! That would be pretty cool And thank you so much for the kind words.
1) Doesn’t it feel great to make progress on decluttering? I need to do another round of that. That whole follow through on exercising is always the hardest part.
2) I’m crossing my fingers you get all those words out and the book done (also I’m jealous!)
3) Congrats on your blog going live for National Novel WRiting Month! I saw it–Great job!
4) I knew you were picked for national but not that it was a round robin?? that’s new to me for RWA and it sounds fast paced and really cool. You’re really getting your name out there on the speaking circuit–congrats on that!
5) We need those go-to books! And honestly, I get more and more frustrated with audio books, so I understand. Especially since I’m not big on erotic romances in audio, although I love them in print. It’s just one of my quirks. I’d listen to Naked in Death again even though I’ve read it too!
Hope you enjoy your weekend!
February 16th, 2018 at 10:01 pm · Link
Viki, I’m so sure you’re right about the grandson effect
1) I’m sorry the cyst removal is such a pain, and limiting you. The stitches are probably burning or itching by now too. Hopefully it eases up soon. YOUR POOR BROTHER! That had to hurt! Is he okay? (I’m wondering if that’s the brother that gave me kennel advice about Maggie? Is so, please tell him she voluntarily runs in her kennel every night now and is fine. Time and patience made all the difference, and I appreciated his help). Really hope he’s okay.
2) Harrison is just refusing to be a preemie, isn’t he? He has totally thrived! You must all be so happy to see him doing so well.
3) Bummer than your garage door broke, but huge kudo’s to your guy! He sounds pretty awesome.
4) Hope you can get your shopping done without straining your back or stitches.
5) Aw, Spunk! Those birds are teasing him
I really hope you and your brother feel better and heal quickly! Have a good weekend.
February 17th, 2018 at 1:51 pm · Link
Hi Jenn – Yes, that is my only sibling and I will pass on how great Maggie is doing. You are right, time, patience, and consistency make all the difference.
Can’t wait to hear all about dress shopping :).
Have a fantastic weekend!