Friday, March 29th, 2019
TGIF! Okay I have a glass of wine (I’m writing this at Wine O’Clock on Thursday evening), and it’s time to share 5 random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- It’s crazy how busy I am NOT writing. Next week, I really do want to get back to the book! This week has been filled with normal life stuff, plus getting ready for a bridal shower this weekend for my nephew’s finance. It’s a couple hours away from my house, but celebrating these important life moments are worth the drive.
- We went to visit our grandson, Turbo, on Wednesday, and I took zero pictures :-(. Bad Grandma! Aside from that, we had so much fun with Turbo. He’s all toddler now, and into everything, but still easy enough to distract. Hmm…that sounds like my brain, is it possible I have Toddler Brain?
- I will never understand how parents can kill their children. We’ve had a rash of those cases in So Cal lately, from babies to preteens. It’s just horrifying and heartbreaking. What made me think of it today is that we have blue ribbons tied around various places all over town for an 8 year old boy missing in a nearby community. The hope was that the boy would be found alive. Sadly, the police announced today, that while they haven’t actually found the boy yet, they have enough evidence to charge the dad with murder, and the mother with child endangerment. I will never understand it. Ever.
- Wizard and I watched a movie (on Amazon Prime, and I believe it’s also on Netflix) called, Walk. Ride. Rodeo. based on the true story of nineteen-year-old champion rodeo rider Amberley Snyder who was paralyzed in an accident and her fight to ride again. Amberley Snyder, along with her sister, starred in the movie and did her own stunts. Wizard and I were both moved and inspired by this movie/story.
- I also listened to a nonfiction audiobook called BAD BLOOD, Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. This is part of the synopsis on Amazon: The full inside story of the breathtaking rise and shocking collapse of Theranos, the one-time multibillion-dollar biotech startup founded by Elizabeth Holmes—now the subject of the HBO documentary The Inventor—by the prize-winning journalist who first broke the story and pursued it to the end. It’s an interesting book if you’re interested in how multi-million dollar scams like this happen. Unlike parents killing children, I can logically grasp how this happens, and the book laid it out very well. But it still makes me sick that people not only lie and cheat, but risk people’s lives. For those of us who write fiction, this kind of story can be very interesting in developing characters.
That’s my five random things for the week, and now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great week!
March 29th, 2019 at 6:02 am · Link
Busy gal! I’m glad you’re enjoying life now that your neck isn’t killing you all the time. You deserve it. :hugs: Yay for Turbo-Time! I totally understand Toddler Brain. I totally don’t understand your #3, but there are a lot of things I don’t understand these days.
1) I went fishing yesterday. Only caught one little bluegill, but I heard the first loon of the year. Yay! There’s just something about loons that make me happy.
2) The parking area at the lake was pretty packed yesterday with trucks and boat trailers. Apparently the white bass are running. I saw one dude in a boat catch one, but they’re too far off shore for me to catch from the bank. I’d love to catch one of those. I hear they’re good eatin’.
3) I found a recipe for no-knead yeast rolls I had planned on trying this week, but I forgot to buy more flour. It calls for 6 1/2 cups and I don’t think I have that much left. Anyway, I’ll try it next time. Any bread product I don’t have to knead is worth a shot.
4) Speaking of recipes, I spent some time last week organizing my recipe binder. I don’t know how many years it’s been since I did that, but it was an unholy mess. Now all the recipes have been hole-punched and are in their category alphabetically. It’s amazing what you can do when you’re trying to avoid what you really should be doing. LOL
5) I’m trying my best to maintain a positive outlook in the face of the deranged, demented, just plain sick things I see in the news every day. Some days are easier than others. It helps to watch fun videos. Yesterday, I watched cows playing in the snow, a toddler trying ketchup for the first time, and numerous puppy/kitty videos. Hang in there. :hugs:
March 29th, 2019 at 10:08 am · Link
TURBO-TIME! That should be a TV show. I don’t get your #3 either. It’s just…crazy. B.E., “call” me. I’ve give you my Ice-box Roll recipe. No kneading. Takes about 5 minutes to put together. Or maybe I’ll post it Tuesday. Remind me! Okay, my 5:
1) Stormy is now the size of a 7 yo, according to his 5 yo check up. Only and Baseball boy signed him up for 6U T-ball, though he should actually be in 4U based on b-day date. He TOWERS over his age group. We’re hoping playing up will keep him more engaged and focused.
2) OPENING DAY! My Cards lost to the Brewers. Was a great game anyway, and they almost managed to tie it up on the last out of the 9th inning. They “was robbed” of a homerun by a spectacular catch at the outfield wall.
3) I WROTE WORDS! I manage 3K words, finished the rewrite/new direction of Chp. 1 on the PITA WIP. Sent it off to Mr. Ed and am awaiting verdict before going forward. I’ll be working on something else today. Not sure what but…WORDS!
4) Can’t wait for the new season of LIVE PD tonight! Oklahoma Highway Patrol is one of the departments being featured. I’m hoping the show is embedded with A Troop because that means they’re here in this area, rather than B Troop up at Tulsa. *happy dances*
5) The weather has been gorgeous but chance of storms and a light freeze over the weekend. Yardwork got done. (Not by me. LG’s bro gives us a yard crew every year for Christmas. Best. Present. Ever!) They even dug out the Bermuda grass that took root in the center island flower bed. The feral kittens (we have 3 now) are not happy, though they still have a few hiding places out there.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
March 29th, 2019 at 3:12 pm · Link
1. You are super busy. It sounds like good busy too :). Have a wonderful time at the shower.
2. Go Turbo GO! They are so much fun and yes, you can have toddler brain but that means you are really thinking :).
3. I can’t even begin to understand those monster that are supposed to be human.
4. I have heard of the movie but haven’t seen it.
5. Again, I’ve heard plenty on this woman but through the documentary not the book. I couldn’t read it. It would tick me off too much.
1a. My new bag arrived yesterday and it is so pretty. More peonies than poppies. Hubs can’t understand why I’d buy a bag that wasn’t leather since all of my good bags are leather. Had to explain it was $29. Okay then ;).
2a. Taking Harrison out to eat tomorrow. Thinking of the Outback. He likes it there and so do his parents ;).
3a. Our dentist wrote a kids book “Teeth Poop.” We bought a copy for Harrison who has a full mouth of teeth. His dentist and assistants were shocked at all of his teeth.
4a. Our generator didn’t run its diagnostics and when I checked it out things weren’t good. Thinking of replacing it. It’s 17 yrs old and has served us well.
5a. Behind on reading again. Seems something always pulls me away the moment I sit down :(.
Have a great weekend!
March 29th, 2019 at 4:07 pm · Link
B.E., thanks! I am enjoying life and try to just ignore lingering pain. It is what it is. And i’m with you–there’s a lot I don’t understand these days. Now lets talk about you:
1) Fishing is your happy place The loons added to the experience for you.
2) Hope you achieve your white bass dream this year! I don’t even want to talk about traffic, crowds and parking…LOL! Although I think ours will clear up or at least dial back in the next weeks, while you’re going to have to deal with it for months.
3) I love homemade bread and admire you for doing it! I would eat it alllll if I made it. I can’t be trusted with good bread or chocolate.
4) I’m impressed that you organized all your recipes! I consider it a mental challenge to remember which recipe is where in my house, LOL!
5) I saw that ketchup video! I was stuck somewhere and so watched while waiting. Cute!
Hope you have a great weekend!
March 29th, 2019 at 4:19 pm · Link
Silver, Turbo is enough of a ham to star in a TV show, LOL! Your bread sounds good, and I don’t need the temptation! All right, let’s move onto you:
1) Stormy is a big kid! Maybe playing up will be better for him. Glad they let you move him around–they are pretty rigid here, or at least they were when my kids played.
2) I’m sorry for your Cards, and that the guy on the Brewers had to show off with that catch
3) WOOHOO!! Congrats on your words!!!! Hope Mr. Ed. loves what you’ve done so far, and greenlights the project!
4) Crossing my fingers that your department is with the A Troop!
5) What an awesome Christmas gift! Although the feral kitties apparently don’t agree.
Hope you and LG have a great weekend!
March 29th, 2019 at 4:29 pm · Link
I got a thumbs up and I don’t have to finish out the next to chapters for a proposal approval. I have the green light to get the thing written, mid-June deadline with a Jan. ’20 release day. Crossing fingers Iffy won’t let me down.
March 29th, 2019 at 4:31 pm · Link
Viki, yes it’s good busy, thanks. Turbo is definitely thinking all the time, I bet Harrison is too! Agree on those parents–I just can’t even fathom it. I really loved the movie, and I can see why reading the book on Theranos would make you mad. Okay let’s talk about you:
1) That’s a great price! I’m glad you love the bag, it’s very pretty and made me think of spring.
2) You’ll have fun with Harrison no matter where you go. But I vote for easy-style restaurants like Outback so it’s less of a stressful atmosphere. Toddlers are unpredictable at times!
3) Wow all those teeth! I guess Harrison doesn’t let a little thing like being premature keep him from being advanced in most everything! I bet the dentists book is really cute for kids! I’ll see if it’s on Amazon.
4) I would think 17 years for a generator is a good run. Hope you can find a good price on a new one, if that’s what you decide to do.
5) I get distracted when I’m reading too, and end up doing something else all the time. Half the time, it’s my phone–texts, messages, kids sending videos, calls and stuff. I know how you feel!
Hope you have a good weekend and a great time with Harrison this weekend!
March 30th, 2019 at 1:21 pm · Link
Hey Jenn – Here is the book on Amazon, it’s Tooth Poop not Teeth ;).
March 31st, 2019 at 8:22 pm · Link
Silver that’s great news!! You can totally do it by mid June!
March 31st, 2019 at 8:26 pm · Link
Viki, thank you for the link! I’m going over now that I have a moment to check the book out.