Friday, July 9th, 2021
TGIF! Let’s jump right into sharing five random things about our week.
- Wizard asked me, “Witch, what did you impulse buy from Amazon? FYI, I actually wrote “impulse buy” in the check register. Why? Well…as I answered Wizard, “I don’t want to tell you.” He laughed, “Spit it out.” I gave in with, “Fine I bought another swim suit.” I heard a snort, and nothing else as he went back to reading the news. Let’s all take a moment to appreciate his restrain in NOT pointing out that no swimsuit is going to remove 20 years and 15 pounds (Just a note–he doesn’t really care what I buy, he was just curious.)
- Yesterday I got a call that Turbo was running a very slight (under 100) temp, and couldn’t go to preschool. And one of the three dogs hurt her leg. Could I come babysit? Of course I did. Turbo was sooo good. My poor daughter-in-law had to sit in the parking lot at the emergency vets for over 4 hours. The vet believes the dog’s leg is sprained not broken. Unfortunately, this little dog is older and, they just found out a couple days ago, definitely going blind. It’s been a rough week for them. They have two other dogs, including one that is paralyzed and on wheels. Turbo seemed fine by the end of the day.
- Turbo just started preschool last week. He’s not a fan, LOL. But he’ll adjust. He told me he loves the big playground but not the little playground. Sounds reasonable to me, why would anyone want a little playground when they can play on a big one??? That’s like asking me if I want a little chocolate or a lot of chocolate.
- Some writing happened, but definitely not yesterday. While taking care of Turbo is pretty easy, fighting traffic is not. I was way more tired from that than playing trucks on the floor and digging in dirt outside for five hours
- My sister, Biker Witch and her Biker Hubby are coming over Saturday. I’m making some easy fajitas and the key lime pie, because key lime pie sounds a good hot day dessert. I’m looking forward to that. I’d planned to clean and run to the store on Thursday, but since I spent the day at Turbo’s, I’ll go to the store today, then on Saturday, we’ll all ignore the dirt and eat pie Life is too short to worry about not having a perfect house.
That’s my five now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend.
July 9th, 2021 at 8:30 am · Link
Poor Turbo and puppers. Glad he’s better and your DiL is awesome in her love for critters! Turbo will come to enjoy school. He’s smart and he’ll learn to like new friends and new stuffs to learn. Yay for Biker Witch and Hubby and yes, life is too short! Okay, my 5:
1. Hoarder status: As mentioned Wednesday, I finally cleaned out and reorganized my pantry. The oldest “Best if Used By” date was *COUGH2004*COUGH We gave a bunch of stuff (NOT food) to the local thrift shop. I also discovered that I have like a 3-year supply of cleaners. I partially blame that on Lawyer Guy. When he needs something, he buys new rather than looking to see if we already have some. We had FOUR bottles of window cleaner, one brand new, the other four about half full. Anyway, it’s all organized and I actually have shelf space now. 🤪
2. Speaking of spiffing up, LG found some rubber-backed rugs in the clearance at one of the local Dollar Stores. Boone has trouble walking and the old rugs slip and slide. This is mainly due to Loki’s zoomies. He hits the rug, stops, and slides. New rugs don’t do that. The first time he did it, he stopped…and stuck. And ended up doing a sommersault. 🤣
3. And speaking of Loki, I rolled up the two old runners and set them by the garage door to be taken out later. Loki has now claimed them for a new bed. Even though the rug is scratchy side up. Cat!
4: Evidently, the Irish Mob Wolves have decided to speak up. I’ve managed to write 2 short scenes about two different Wolves and their ladies. This is a weird book for me. It’s like all the stories are intertwined and happening at the same time and no one wants a “stand-alone” story. If I ever get it written, I might consider releasing it episodically or through the ‘Zons Vella program (if I can figure out what the heck and how it’ll make money…) 📚
5. I made street tacos for dinner last night. Okay, *I* ate street tacos (meat, onions, cilantro and lime juice rolled in a soft flower tortilla). LG had regular “loaded” soft tacos (meat, onions, cheese, sour cream, salsa). It had been a hot day so they just hit the spot. Also, the tortillas were low carb. I was worried they’d be yucky but they weren’t so that’s a win! I’m thinking chicken pasta salad for dinner tonight. 🌮
That’s my five. Off to either get more words, take a nap (waking up at 5 am sucks!), or finishing listening to CAPTURE THE CROWN by Jennifer Estep. Have a great weekend, all! 🥰
July 9th, 2021 at 8:31 am · Link
Gah. I hate when I add coding for italics and forget to close it with the ol’ Sorry.
July 9th, 2021 at 3:06 pm · Link
1. I’m glad you bought another swimsuit. With the super high heat you must be trying to cool off in the pool frequently and another suit makes sense. I love how Wizard reacts :).
2. Man do I feel for your son and family. That’s quite a bit to deal with all at once. The positive note is you had fun with Turbo and he seems to have recovered.
3. Turbo is smart. A large playground is the way to go!
4. Fight traffic is very tiring.
5. Have a great time with Biker Witch and hubby. Key lime pie is always a good thing but when it’s super hot, even better. No one comes to inspect your house which I am sure is quite tidy.
1a. Had my doctors appointment and now I have to go get the blood work done. I think I’ll go Monday morning.
2a. I have jury duty for two weeks starting on Tuesday. I am not looking forward to it because it’s so far away. It’s a 40 minute drive which is pushing it with my leg and then having to sit all day will be VERY painful.
3a. Youngest came home today. They figured get back a day early to prepare for going back to work Monday.
4a. Spunk is acting funny. Throwing up loose fur and just not being himself. It’s the antibiotic. He should return to normal soon.
5a. We had an inch of rain yesterday but are still 7 inches below normal. It’s nice to see the falls actually pouring water over instead trickles.
I hope you have a great weekend and have a wonderful time with your sister and BIL. Take care.
Silver – I had to laugh at the 2004 date. Last month I found one in the pantry down in the basement that was 2011 .
July 9th, 2021 at 4:03 pm · Link
Silver, I’m pretty confident Turbo will love preschool in time. He’s so bright (says the grandma, LOL), he’s ready for some new challenges. His mom seriously researched this school, which makes us feel very confident. Now for you:
1) The 2004 “best if used by date” made me laugh in sympathy. When my now daughter in law who loves to cook first began cooking in my kitchen, she found spices that old. After than I cleaned out my spice drawer and updated, but I’m sure there’s something somewhere in my kitchen that old. I’ll find it if we ever move Yay for having a clean pantry and shelf space!
2) I mentally pictured Loki discovering the rubber backed rugs, LOLOL!! And great find for LG! Youngest son has rugs for one of their dogs with aging hips.
3) Yeah, that does NOT sound like a comfy bed to me, but I’m not cat
4) Great news on the characters speaking up! It sounds interesting for sure. I can’t help you with Amazon’s program–I’ve ignored it because I’m in a weird place. (I should talk about this at some point).
5) I love tacos! All the tacos I’m glad you liked the low carb tortillas too.
Hope you got your nap! I’m often awake by 5am so I know what you mean. Enjoy your weekend!
July 9th, 2021 at 4:11 pm · Link
Viki, the swimsuit thing is funny. Wizard just told the kids I keep buying them, and it’s true. They aren’t expensive at all, I’m looking for something that I’m comfortable in. One pieces give me trouble. Anyway, this is a three piece, a top, boy short bottoms and a swim tank over it. It’s seemed comfy, so we’ll see. But Wizard was quietly amused.
1) At least you have the doctor part done. Hopeful you can knock the bloodwork out Monday and everything comes back good.
2) Since you’ve done your share of jury duty over the years, can you get a medical exception? It seems reasonable, but I don’t know how your state works. We usually only have to go one day in CA, and if we’re not selected, we’re done.
3) Youngest is smart. I always like that day to get reorganized after a vacation. Hope they had fun!
4) Poor Spunk! Antibiotics can be rough to tolerate. Hope he feels better. Maggie always throws up on them.
5) I didn’t realize your state was that short on rainfall. But glad you’ve gotten at least some. I’m afraid to say too much about how bad the drought it, or next year we’ll be deluged and have serious floods.
Thanks, I think we’ll have a nice time with my sister and brother in law. I hope you have a good weekend too!
July 10th, 2021 at 7:29 am · Link
Well, crap. I’m not sure where my head was yesterday. Better late than never I guess. :shrug: Yay for a new swimsuit! Boo for Turbo running a temp and for your injured grand-pup. Turbo will adjust to pre-school in time. Yay for writing, even if it’s less than you’d hoped. And Yay for the Biker Couple and pie!
1) We made the decision to finally sell our boat. We’ve only used it 3 times since we bought it and it’s just taking up space. The ad goes out in next week’s paper. Fingers crossed.
2) I finished the first draft of Untitled Fantasy. It’s 97.5K right now with more to be added. But fantasies are bigger anyway, so I’m okay with it.
3) I got a wild hair last night and decided to try drawing one of the beasts from my book. I haven’t tried to draw anything in years.
Hubs walked in and could recognize some of the elements, so I’m calling it a win.
4) I kind of fell off the active wagon this week. I need to get my buns in gear and get back to moving.
5) I have the post-writing malaise. I finished the book and now I’m unmotivated. But still feeling like I should be doing something. This happens every time. Blerg.