Friday, September 24th, 2021
TGIF!! Let’s dive into sharing five random things about our week:
- Took Maggie in for her recheck and she’s healing well from the abscess. She’ll go back in a month because Maggie Money Pit is worth it This is one of those things that requires watching for a while to make sure the infection is really gone, and things go back to working as they should. Also, she needs booster shots so I’ll get it all taken care of at once.
- I finally called my doctor and they are sending me the paperwork to get my mammogram done. It’s not a big deal, but it kept slipping my mind and I was getting very annoyed with myself.
- I got my hair cut and colored. I went darker, which I’m happy with at the moment. It’s a little shorter than I planned, but hair grows.
- Wizard’s accident is resolved to 1) It’s not wizard’s fault; 2) We’ll use the uninsured motorist section of our insurance; and 3) They waived the deductible. We take the car in Monday and will be down to one car for 10 days. Given the way Wizard and I are always doing different things, that will require a little extra forethought, but we’ll work it out.
- Wizard is asking me to make another cake, but I need to think of a design I really want to do first. Hmm…so many possibilities. A cake with a fondant dragon? Or a cake carved into the shape of a police car? Or something more classic???? I’ve never carved a cake or covered it in fondant so the police car would be a huge challenge. Or maybe a dog cake, or…there are so many things I want to try!
So that’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! Hope you all have a great weekend!
September 24th, 2021 at 8:31 am · Link
Mmm. Cake. How about a fall-flavored cake covered in fondant leaves and pumpkins? Sorry about the car. I’ll complain about LG’s truck in my 5. Yay for Maggie improvement, necessary doctor things, and hair cuts and colors! Okay, my 5.
1. LG’s truck. A week ago (or has it been a week and a half now? Anyway…) it wouldn’t accelerate over 15 mph. He wisely stopped and called for a tow truck, had it delivered to the garage that we’ve used for 25 years. Lots of things. Replaced the catalytic converter that was totally clogged. Codes were still reading weird so John suggested we take it to dealership. We did. A week ago. They’ve run all sorts of test. Good news, we don’t need a new engine (at like $7500) or a timing chain (at like $6K) but what they want to fix “completely” runs $7600 or can be “band-aided” for $2K. It’s caused by a design flaw in the 2004 thru 2010 F-150s that they fixed in the 2011 model but they won’t admit it’s a design flaw because they don’t want to pay to fix all those trucks. Anyway, we MIGHT get it back next week.
2. FedEx. Last week, we discovered the team-supplied catcher’s leg guards were too short on Stormy. Both sets of his mom’s that we still have were too long. I found a set of All Stars for cheap! I ordered them, expecting them to arrive on Tuesday. Sunday night, I get notice they’ve shipped, delivery on Tuesday. Yay! Monday morning, I get a notice they might arrive early, as in end-of-day Monday. Bigger yay. FedEx trucks drove by several times, no delivery. Okay fine, not expecting them ’til Tuesday anyway. Tuesday comes. Updated tracking says box returned to facility Monday night, out on truck for delivery by EOD Tuesday. Didn’t see one blinkin’ truck all day so now new gear for Tuesday night’s game. Wednesday’s update says box returned to facility Tuesday night, now out on truck for delivery. So, a FedEx truck turns the corner and stops in front of my driveway (parked on the wrong side of the road, FYI). Driver goes into the back, roots around, I’m excited. Then he gets in the driver’s seat and heads on down the street. A few minutes later, he’s driven around the block and is coming up the street where our front door faces (we’re on a corner, garage and front door on two different sides). He stops in front of house across the street. He does not get out. He drives away. WTF?!?!?! I check for updates after dinner and tracking shows “Delivery restricted. No attempt made.” 🤬 Thursday’s update says the box is back on a truck out for delivery. And lo and behold, it arrived about noon. Yes, my head did explode multiple times, why do you ask? 🤯🤯🤯 And no, there was no way to make that long story short. LOL
3. I ordered a new LED solar powered street address sign to stake in the yard, you know, just in case the numbers over the front door and/or on the curb at the front walk aren’t visible enough. I ordered it Wednesday from the ‘Zon. It arrived yesterday (Thursday) by EOD as promised. It’s charging today. I can’t wait to see it after dark.
4. I’m going “old skool” on my romance listening. On a whim, I grabbed Sherrilyn Kenyon’s FANTASY LOVER from the library. I read it first back in like 2005 (it was published in 2002, I think). Anyway, it’s kind fun. Since there’s not much out there on the horizon that has caught my attention, I’ll stick with her Dark Hunters series for awhile. Because…nostalgic fun and old skool! Plus, free because my library system is awesome like that!
5. There’s a hint of fall in the air and I’m soooo ready! We had 2 perfect days (highs in the 70s) but it’s warming up to the higher 80s now. Still, the nights are in the 50s and 60s so mornings are delightful with a slight nip in the air and low humidity. Fall is my favorite season, despite all the pumpkin spice coffee nonsense.
Have a great weekend, witches! 🥰
September 24th, 2021 at 3:01 pm · Link
1. Nice to hear that Maggie’s follow up went well. It amazes me how many people don’t do the follow up care on pets. I had to train my husband when we got married. He was brought up that pets were outside creatures, not family members. He learned fast .
2. You made me happy getting the scheduling going on your mammogram.
3. Glad you are liking the darker hair. DIL did mine a bit darker last time too. Yup, hair grows .
4. It just stinks that the guy that sideswiped Wizard got off scott free. It’s so true that relying on one car is so hard now a days. I hope you two can work it all out w/o too much trouble.
5. I love Wizard! Bake a cake. I vote for a dog. Maggie can model.
1a. My mom is still not accepting any help and is slowly doing things. She lost her cell service because all the bills were auto pay via my step father. When she got hacked before her surgery the credit card was cancelled. I told her today that no matter what she needs to make sure her land line (yes, she has one) bill is paid so that she has a way to get help if she needs it. I also told her that she should make sure her DISH is paid so that she has TV because she’s lonely.
2a. My computer messed up again. Middle remotely just fixed it but now my text is all goofy. It’s kind of blurry on all sites I go to. I hope when I turn this thing on tomorrow all will be well. Otherwise I’ll be bugging middle again.
3a. Speaking of middle, his wife drove out to NYC yesterday to visit a friend. So, he’s coming out to dinner with hubs and me tomorrow.
4a. It got chilly here over night, 47F. Hubs wanted to turn on the heat this morning. I vetoed him and he went to take care of Harrison where DIL was running the furnace. We will test the furnace out soon to make sure all is good before the cold hits.
5a. DIL sent me a Christmas list already. Guess what I will be doing this weekend? Yup, point and click .
Have a great weekend!
September 24th, 2021 at 3:47 pm · Link
Silver, a fall cake would be fun too. But Wizard wanted chocolate, and I’ve decided to try a simple (famous last words!) baby dragon design. I know nothing about carving cakes and trying to get the image right so this should be interesting.
1) Man that’s just so danged aggravating when you know it’s a design flaw and you’re paying for the fix. I hope you get it back running perfect after all this.
2) That’s crazy! I wonder why it was “delivery restricted?” I just makes no sense. So weird!
3) Hope it looks as awesome as you want it to! The delivery guy really could have used a big red arrow over your house tough…just saying…
4) You do have an awesome library system! And old skool is always a good option.
5) I love fall too, and every once in a while we even have a fall-weather day I don’t even get the weirdness about pumpkin spice either.
Have a great weekend!
September 24th, 2021 at 3:56 pm · Link
Viki, I’m big on follow up care. It can solve problems before they become tragedies. Especially with animals who don’t let us know when they are hurting or not feeling well.
I plan to make a dog cake but I’m starting a little simplier, and I’m trying to be confidence, LOLOL.
1) I hope your mom is listening to you. I’m sorry she’s not accepting help though. A landline is a good thing for your mom to have, it should show up on 911 with her address. Even if she can’t talk, they will send help. Or they do in CA (usually). I hope she’s doing ok.
2) Ugh, how annoying on your computer. I really hope it’s all fixed tomorrow.
3) That’ll be really nice to have dinner with middle!
4) That’s pretty cold! I think I’d vote with hubs But I know you like it cool.
5) Wow, your daughter in law is organized! And you’ll get a jump on shopping.
Hope you have a good weekend and your mom keeps improving.