As the holidays approach, I thought I’d share some of my coping strategies.
That’s pretty much it
Okay, let me add a few silly things to the items (written quickly off the top of my head):
- Kids get gifts, adults get patience and kindness. Most of us are trying.
- Holding grudges takes a lot of time, effort and energy. Just move on.
- Other people don’t need to know our opinions. No really, no one needs to know at Thanksgiving dinner, office parties or even shopping trips.
- Put your time and effort to the parts of the holidays you enjoy. If you love to cook, do that. Love to decorate? Teach me how. Just kidding, go for it and I’ll admire. Like to bake? Make all your friends fat! Just dive in, have fun and don’t worry about imperfections–they make us memorable and unique.
- Lets remember to laugh at ourselves. It’s okay, and it makes us so much nicer to be around. Go ahead, tell the story about the time you accidently used the men’s restroom in the airport and didn’t notice until you passed the male pilot while leaving. Wait, that wasn’t you? Oh, right, that was me
- Be safe. Watch out for scammers, thieves, and the assorted injuries we manage to inflict on ourselves when we’re busy and distracted. Let’s all try to slow down enough to be safe and well through the holidays.
- And let’s not forget our friends going through a hard time this year. Many people have lost loved ones (two people I distantly know lost husbands this week alone). Let’s take a few moments to remember them in thought AND deed. I’m often terrible at follow through, so I’m pointing right at myself here. But a phone call, text, private message or a card, or if you can safely manage it, a quick visit, will help them feel less alone during very difficult time.
- Remember we’re building memories, so lets build them on positive attitudes and actions that will hold up over time. Let’s strengthen our family bonds, deepen our existing friendships and make new ones with kindness.
- And if all else fails, go back to my first list!
Okay, friends, that’s what I’ve thought while writing this. Would you like to add anything?