Friday, January 28th, 2022
TGIF! I hope this week has been good to you. Let’s jump into sharing 5 things about our week:
- I’m having baking withdrawals. I have a recipe for Pistachio Cake I’ve wanted to try. The serving suggestion is with cream cheese icing but that’s so heavy, I’m thinking white chocolate icing. Maybe I’ll bake that this weekend. (I’m also having some writing pangs, but I’ve committed to other things right now).
- One of my granddogs, Phoebe, is having a birthday this weekend. Since she just lost her sister dog, Roxy, I made a special trip to the store to buy her toys to take over It makes me happy to do it.
- While I was at the store, I got Maggie a toy too. I didn’t want her to be jealous even though she only plays with toys for a couple minutes at a time, LOL.
- Speaking of Maggie, here’s she is just sitting in the sun, and minding her own business when I try to sneak up and take a picture. She’s ignoring me.
- I made him homemade taquitos this week. I rarely do it because frying in oil is a mess. Wizard was so excited, he made up a taquito song and sang it All Freaking Day Long. He darn near got a plate of Brussel spouts (he loathes them) for dinner But honestly, she’s so appreciative that I like doing it sometimes. Wizard also never complains about simple, easy meals. Tonight I’m making steak salad from leftovers and he’ll be perfectly happy.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend.
January 28th, 2022 at 7:29 am · Link
Ooo, pistachio cake. That’s sounds awesome. Yay for Phoebe’s birthday. She certainly deserves extra toys right now. And so does Maggie, but for no reason at all. LOL, awesome pic, even if she’s ignoring you. LOL about Wizard and his song. He’s a good hubs. Like mine, who lights up when I make something special, but is also happy with whatever.
1) I’ve been working on the cover for my fantasy. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it.
2) I’m also working on the next round of edits. I’m hoping to have this to beta readers by March.
3) Since I froze enough shredded zucchini to choke a mule, I now have fresh zucchini bread again. And I will straight through to growing season. Good thing we both love zucchini bread.
4) I had my first 2022 fall on my ass. Since I only do this like once a year, I should be good through ’23. And other than some scrapes and a few sore muscles from my artful twisting to avoid a heinous faceplant, I’m fine.
5) It’s cold here right now, which means more work-in-the-woods time. Yay. We’re bringing up stuff to cut into firewood, so we’ll have all that to do once it gets warm again. (We stay out of the woods when it’s warm – ticks and snakes, doncha know.)
January 28th, 2022 at 9:11 am · Link
I should dig out my recipe for pistachio pie. It’s all kinds of awesome! I bet a cake would be too, and I vote white chocolate because…WHITE CHOCOLATE. Happy Birthday, Phoebe. Maggie’s a good girl. Wiz is so funny and I vote taquitos over brussel sprouts EVERY day! Here’s my five:
1. I thought I had two books coming off KU this week. Nope. Only one. The other comes off the 30th. HUNTER’S MOON us updated and uploaded to D2D (now wide at almost all outlets) and back on ‘Zon. The last book, ROGUE MOON will be up on the 31st.
2. Stormy came over after school yesterday. His mom and dad had tickets to the Jeff Dunham show. They love him. They met at her office after work, had dinner at a downtown place they both like and then they took the streetcar to the Paycom Center for the concert. They caught the streetcar back to Only’s office and then home (well, Baseball Boy to here to pick up Stormy first.)
3. Stormy and Big Daddy played electronic battleship and Star Wars Uno. Yes, Big Daddy DID buy a special edition Uno deck because…Star Wars. Then we watched Mythbusters. Little dude is way too smart. He was explaining the difference between ANFO and TNT/C4 explosion patterns. (The Myth dudes were trying to blow a ship OUT of the water, rather than blowing it up to smithereens. And yes, I think he’d seen the episode before but still!
4. I made progress on the WIP. I’m over 60K words now, even with the slow going. I am pleased with the two “big” scenes I wrote.
5. And, once again, I come to my last thing and I sit here scratching my head in search of a finale. I’ll end with a goal! I plan to finish the last corner of the kitchen that has a backsplash. There’s a bread machine there that I haven’t used in…like…years. It’ll go into the pantry, I’ll scrub the grease because that small area is next to the stove and then I’ll finally get the “wallpaper” stone backsplash up there. We’ll see Monday if I got that accomplished.
Happy Friday and have a great weekend! 🥰
January 28th, 2022 at 4:28 pm · Link
1. I think white chocolate icing sounds better for the cake too.
2. Happy Birthday Phoebe. That was nice of you to help her celebrate.
3. Maggie is a special girl and can always do with a new toy.
4. I love Maggie’s expression in the photo. She just cannot be bothered ;).
5. Wizard is so funny. You made him very happy with homemade taquitos. I’ve never had them. I must go look them up.
1a. It’s been cold and snowy here. Tonight we’re to go into the negative digits again.
2a. I bought a waffle iron. I saw these stuffed waffles being made on TV and decided I want them. So I bought an iron. Now, I have to show hubs and convince him to make/eat them with me. I think pizza waffles will be the first try.
3a. I keep a stock pile of cards for all occasions. I noticed last night that I am out of sympathy cards. It’s really rocked me how many people we have lost in the past 5 months :(.
4a. Youngest took the day off and was fixing this noise on my refrigerator when he called me over while I was vacuuming. He had taken it apart at the bottom and wanted the vacuum because there was a blanket of Spunk fur covering the entire bank of cooling coils. We were both shocked how thick it was and it’s not like I don’t clean ALL the time. Just crazy how much fur was there.
5a. Youngest and girlfriend are going to have dinner with us tomorrow. I’m looking forward to it.
Have a fantastic weekend!
January 28th, 2022 at 5:33 pm · Link
B.E., isn’t it nice to have partners who appreciate extra effort but don’t expect it? Okay on your five:
1) You’re a better woman than me that you can do cover art. I always hired someone for mine.
2) Edits are hard work, keep going!
3) LOL we still have frozen zucchini bread from Christmas. Fresh is always better.
4) Ouch! I hope this is your last fall for 2022 or even this decade!
5) Very smart to stay out of the woods in the warmer times. I applaud that decision.
Hope your soreness heals quickly and you have a great weekend.
January 28th, 2022 at 5:43 pm · Link
Silver, I’ve come to appreciate some white chocolates, and this white chocolate frosting is really good. I’m getting exciting to try the cake. I’ve had so much going on, I’ve had no desire to bake anything but cookies which is my comfort bake–if that makes sense. Now for you:
1) Yay on HUNTER MOON and ROGUE MOON will be off KU soon, so that’s a win too.
2) That sounds like such a fun night for Only and BB. Jeff Duhhams older shows used to crack me up. I haven’t seen any of his stuff lately, but I bet it’s funny. So glad they had a good night out. Parents need that so much.
3) Stormy and Big Daddy are two peas in a pod these days–so cute and great for them both. I’m impressed with Stormy’s explosive knowledge, and may hire him as a consultant for my next book
4) I LOVE that you’re pleased with the two big scenes. probably only a writer could know how much that means to us in the writing process. And wow you are making progress!!
5) An excellent #5! Goals are always good. I know those areas around the stove very well. Getting that last bit of the kitchen done will make you feel great!
Hope you and LG have an awesome weekend!
January 28th, 2022 at 5:54 pm · Link
Viki, I think so too on the white chocolate icing. I like cream cheese icing ok, but it’s sooo heavy. LOL on Maggie. That’s one of her spots she likes to soak up the sun. She’s usually quite zen in her sunspots. I wish I could bottle and sell (or maybe donate if I’m feeling generous) her peace in those moments to all the stressed people in the world.
1) Dang, you’re soaking in the cold there.
2) Ohh, I’d love to hear how your waffles come out! Wizard has never been a homemade waffle eater, so I got rid of my wedding present waffle iron years ago.
3) That’s just sad, and so true. We’ve just lost too many people. But you guys are going through another big one right now, and I’d like, again to tell you how sorry I am. I’m praying for all of you.
4) Isn’t it crazy how their fur can do that? I’d have been shocked too, but now that you mention it, I can see how that would happen. Still I’d never have thought to look for it and it must have been a huge surprise when your son found it.
5) It’s so nice to have one son and their partner over like that. I hope you guys have a great time!
Stay warm and enjoy your weekend!