For the first time in a while, I bought all the available books in a series up front. I got the audio version of Darynda Jones’s Betwixt and Between paranormal series. It’s women’s fiction, but it fits in a lot of categories. I’m enjoying it. I’m on book 2, Bewitched, and what I’m liking so far is:
- Heroine is in her 40’s. An older heroine if a refreshing change sometimes.
- She’s a witch! I love witch characters when it makes sense. A few things are a stretch to me, but the story is cute enough for me to suspend disbelief.
- The love interest has an interesting backstory tied to her magic.
- Her grandparents are meddling and one of them is creatively tied to the house she’s living in.
- I originally had mixed feelings about her “dads” in the beginning it felt like the author was checking off a political correctness box. But they are growing on as their characters develop so I may be wrong about my original reaction. If this opinion is somehow offensive to someone…whatever. Yesterday I was offended by the woman who drove 30 MPH in a 50MPH zone, and yet I survived
- There’s a cat named Ink. And he loves pizza.
This isn’t one of those books I can’t stop listening too, but it’s been really good for a bunch of driving I’ve had to do
So that’s my reading (or listening), what are you all reading?