Friday, September 16th, 2022
TGIF! Time to share five random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- This afternoon we’re doing the walk through on our new house. It’s finally happening after 8 months!
- We went to see Wizard’s mom this week. Maggie was thrilled! We sat out in her backyard and she ran around to her heart’s content. She was rolling on her back in the grass, and my mother-in-law noticed. Maggie kept doing it, then she’d lift her head and check to see if my mother-in-law was watching her. The dog is ridiculous. But I also love that Maggie can give my mother in law a bit of joy. Being 90 comes with challenges, but Maggie doesn’t care of my mother-in-law doesn’t remember her name or some silly little detail, and I think that gives my mother-in-law some relief. (And I’d just like to say, that I hope I’m in as good of shape physically as my mother-in-law is if I hit the major milestone of 90!)
- The weather has cooled! The last two days we haven’t had to not run the air conditioning. It’s been nice to air out the house (even if we’re moving soon!). Plus it should help the electric bill.
- Yesterday I spent time with my sister, because…we are never too old to need our sister. Also, I wanted to buy gorilla glue and she found it for me in Target! My sister has skills
- This weekend, part of a freeway near us will be closed, which makes it a lot harder to get places like where two of our kids live. We have a lot to do around the house, packing is endless (and unpacking will be the same!), so that’s not too big a deal.
So that’s my kind of lame five, now I’d love to hear about your exciting week! I hope everyone has an amazing weekend!
September 16th, 2022 at 6:21 am · Link
YAY for the walk-through! Maggie is filled with awesome and I’m so glad your moms get to enjoy that. My mom gets endless enjoyment out of my sister’s little dog, Clair. Yay for cooler weather! Yay for sister time! Boo for roadwork. Packing and unpacking are a bear. Hang in there. :hugs:
1) Over the years, Hubs and I have seen this weird flowering vine on our walks. This past walk, it had fruit on it, so I finally researched it. It’s a variety of passion fruit. I can’t wait to see if I can harvest some before the critters eat them all.
2) When I was a kid, I’d harvest whatever yummy things I found growing wild out in the world. Grapes, boysenberries, strawberries… I even had a patch of wild asparagus I’d pick and bring home to Dad.
3) I’ve lost over 11 pounds since I started work. The scale actually went under 170 for the first time in like 15 years. Sure, it was 169.8, but I’m claiming it.
4) Now that the weather is getting cooler, Hubs and I are planning on getting more walks in. Yay.
5) I finished the last book in that series I was reading. He’s planning more books, but I have no clue when the next one will be out, so I haz a sad. Those three books were awesome.
September 16th, 2022 at 6:56 am · Link
What B.E. said in response. Totally agree so ditto. Okay, my five.
1. I used the indoor grill for something besides hamburgers. Part of my beef haul from Uncle Fix-It included a really nice sirloin steak that would definitely feed both LG and me. Ten minutes in the grill, from the time I turned it on to the time I took the steak off, cut it in half and served it. It was on the medium well side (I prefer medium rare but LG can’t go there anymore). It was seared on the outside, tender and moist. Yummers!
2. RESCUE MOON went live for preorder this week. I’ve “sold” 2 on the ‘Zon. No idea about Apple and it’s not live at B&N yet. I hope to finish SEAL MOON today and get it uploaded as I plan to release it a week from this coming Monday (1 week after RESCUE MOON releases).
3. I have a whole family of skunks that visits the porch for leftover catfood. The Ring doorbell STILL recognizes an adult skunk with raised and fluffed tail as a person. One night an adult and a baby wandered by. Another, the adutls appeared seperately (there’s a couple or 3), then the baby. Last night, I had FOUR out there at once. One adult looked at the teens and baby chowing down and left. Mom(?) stuck around. They all drink water from the bowl so no rabies. Yay. But yeah, I do wish they’d wander away.
4. Speaking of Wild Kingdom, we also get the occasional possum. One night, a big skunk appeared and the possum (who was there first) moved across the porch to another bowl. The next night, only one bowl still had food. The skunk challenged the possum, who backed away. He sat there about 2 1/2 feet away and then he charged the skunk and hit him square in the @$$. The skunk was so freaked, it took off. Yes, I laughed. Go possum! They eat ticks, aren’t susceptible to rabies so are totally welcome to hang around.
5. And finally, Pete Story of the Week: Pete’s Doppleganger. I took a break and hit the coffee-drinkers’ room. I glanced out the window (which overlooks the side flower bed and driveway) and saw Pete in the liarope grass, concentrating on the birds in the honeysuckle bush. I heard LG in the garage so I stuck my head in to see what was going on and he was laughing at and petting Pete. Who’d been the garage for the past ten minutes. Except Pete was in the garden. I ran back to the window. And there was Pete. Outside. I grabbed the bird stuff, ducked out the back door and I guess rattling the chain on the gate to get from the backyard to the driveway scared off the other orange cat because it was gone by the time I got there. I looked around. No sign of it. And Pete popped out of the catdoor a couple of minutes later. Haven’t seen the other cat since. So, glitch in the matrix or what?
Have a great weekend! We have double-header Stormy soccer, then double-header baseball with the Cards and OSU Cowboy football tomorrow. Will definitely need a Sunday nap!
September 16th, 2022 at 3:17 pm · Link
1. Yay! The walk through. Hope it all looked great!
2. How nice that you got to see Wizard’s mom and Maggie got to go too. It’s so sweet that they really love one another.
3. I bet the AC has enjoyed the break. Getting some fresh air into the house always makes me happy too.
4. Biker Witch rules! Finding the gorilla glue is a win.
5. Hope the freeway being closed is not an issue for you guys this weekend. Like you said, you have packing and stuff to do 😉.
1a. Just got too see my Bestie and the grand baby. Oh my does she look just like her mother. She’s so sweet.
2a. We were cooler for a few days but the humidity and heat are on their way back -bummer. But in a week it will get back to normal.
3a. The taffy colored cat that has been around looks to have been dumped. It is so skinny. I couldn’t take it anymore and today even though Spunk wanted to go outside and kill it, I gave the kitty food. She did not act feral.
4a. It’s going to be dry for several days so I hope to wash some windows this weekend.
5a. I noticed that in the back of my closet I have so much more to get rid of. I don’t go on vacation anymore so I can get rid of all my beach bags and stuff. Funny how I was holding on to these things. Someone will make good use of some real nice beach items.
Sure hope you have a fantastic weekend and that you get plenty done getting ready for the big move.
September 16th, 2022 at 5:14 pm · Link
B.E., I think pets, in general, make the world a better place! And yep, packing and unpacking are tough, but I have a friend moving from one state to another and that’s a whole other level of pain, so I’m pretty grateful ours is easier!
1) That’s really cool that you have passion fruit growing by you. Hope its as good as you want it to be!
2) Being able to determine what wild plants are safe to eat, and what’s not is an excellent skill to have. I don’t have it that skill so aside from buying commercial, I only eat when I grow or what people I know/trust grow
3) Wow, that’s great to lose the weight as a side effect of the job.
4) I’m with you on more walks in the cooler weather.
5) I always have that sad after I finish a really good book or series. Hope you find your next great week soon!
Enjoy your weekend!
September 16th, 2022 at 5:31 pm · Link
Silver, onto your 5:
1) That’s a win on your indoor grill! We split steaks a lot too, but I cut them before he grills them. That way he can pull his off sooner if he wants it more rare than I do. But it sounds like your way worked perfect for you!
2) I preordered RESCUE MOON on Amazon on Tues. Sept 13th (I checked the email to be sure, LOL) I hope you get more preorders soon!
3) Wow that’s a lot of skunks! They are so cute, but not if they tangle with your dog or cats both for rabies and their spray. LOL on the Ring doorbell. One day, the AI will be developed enough to figure out what is human and what is animal, but right now, it’s limited.
4) That possum is lucky the skunk didn’t spray! But possums are smart! I love how he waited and assessed to hit the skunk in the backside!
5) Pete has a twin! A secret ninja twin Or when you went to get coffee you somehow crossed into a seperate timeline where you saw Pete hunting in the grass (just how strong is your coffee???). Then when you went to see LG in the garage, you crossed back into the current timeline where he’s petting Pete in the garage. It’s totally plausible, right?
Hope your soccer, baseball and football weekend is full of fun and wins!
September 16th, 2022 at 5:38 pm · Link
Viki, I’m pretty sure packing and organizing will keep us busy, and the walk though went well. The usual list of things to be touched up or fixed, but nothing big. We are still on track as far as we know.
1) That had to be so much friend to see your friend and her grand baby!
2) I feel for you with the heat and humidity coming. We are so grateful for the break from it here.
3) I would have fed the cat too. I hope the cat isn’t sick and he gains some weight. Poor kitty. (I hope Spunk forgives you )
4) Clean windows make the whole house feel so clean and bright. The process of washing them, though, is so hard!
5) It’s hard to get rid of stuff like that, but it makes sense if you’re ready to do it.
I hope you have a good weekend too!