Friday, October 14th, 2022
TGIF! I can’t believe it’s Friday again! But here we are, and it’s time to share 5 random things about our week. Here’s mine:
- Monday I got my ultrasound done at 7:30 in the morning. I left early thinking there’d be traffic because I forgot it was Columbus Day. Let’s just say that I got there early, LOL. That’s okay, I was done by 8, went to Starbucks to grab a coffee and had the rest of my day to come home to a new trail of ants Evidently they don’t get Columbus Day off.
- Tuesday the exterminator came out. The day before we’d put out bait traps that seemed to stop the newest trail of ants. But since we are living in new construction we decided to go the extermination route for the first time ever. Our house is “wired” in the walls for a method of injecting a powder that is supposed to kill a lot of bugs. Plus they treated the outside and garage with the traditional method. I have no idea of this newfangled method (the wall wiring thing) works, but we should find out. If it does, we will keep the service for a while. So far, we’ve had zero new ants.
- Yesterday I spent a chunk of time designing “We’ve Moved” cards that I could order and have delivered to a local store. I’ve used this store at least a half dozen times for things like ordering custom Christmas cards. But when I went to order, they website refused to acknowledge our local store. I’m guessing it’s some glitch, but it’s weird. Especially since we not that physical store is definitely still open as Wizard just went there to buy some items one week ago. I’ll see if it works tomorrow, if not, then I’ll have to go somewhere else and redo the cards.
- Monday we’re scheduled to finally get the blinds installed. I’m really happy about that.
- This weekend, Wizard is going to try to go racing on Sunday. Saturday he and youngest son are picking up some wood and supplies to build a workbench and cabinets in the garage, and somewhere in there, we are trying to fit in a little furniture shopping. We are mainly looking at couches because the budget is a real thing. Sunday, I’d love to do something a little fun but who knows.
That’s my five, now I’d love to hear yours! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
October 14th, 2022 at 7:28 am · Link
Yay for not having to fight traffic! Boo for ants and having to pay an exterminator. Bummer about the store thing. Yay for getting your blinds! I hope Wizard does get to go racing and that you get a nice couch. And yes, you should so something fun on Sunday. You’ve earned it.
1) My supervisor took me to lunch yesterday to do my evaluation. All is well.
2) Fall is falling hard in the Ozarks now, and it’s really pretty around here.
3) I saw two big, white birds flying south the other day. Not sure what they were – they were too high up there – but it was cool to see them.
4) I started this comment like an hour ago, but then Hubs and I got to talking and time flew. Now, I have to skedaddle in a few minutes. Good thing the office is only 5 minutes away.
5) It’s Friday. Yay. One thing about a day-job vs writing is with writing one day is like any other, so you don’t get excited about Friday. But yeah, I’m excited about Fridays again. Woohoo.
October 14th, 2022 at 9:35 am · Link
Yay for no traffic and getting done early. Boo on ants but also yay for no new ones and I’m guessing this newfangled method is safe for pets and peoples? The intrawebz have been very glitchy of late so boo on them. Hope you don’t have to redo the cards! Yay for blinds, garage projects, couches, racing, and hopefully you can figure out something fun! My five:
1. Our weather is all kinds of awesome–but still no rain. It’s getting dire but no AC (and incumbent bills) is a blessing so I’ll take what I can.
2. Stormy is part of a new running club at his school and they did a “lap-a-thon” to raise money for club T-shirts and entry fees to kids’ marathons. I told him we’d go $50 or $5.00 a lap, whichever was more. The little dickens managed 23 laps in the alloted time. Still, $115 well spent.
3. I made Swedish meatballs Monday night. I’d found a quick and easy recipe and tried it out. It calls for heavy cream and soy sauce. Go figure. LOL But it was extra yummy! I’m ready for the comfort foods that come with cooler weather! (Recipe is in my Tuesday blog this week.)
4. Speaking of Starbucks, they know their market. I’m such a sucker for “bonus stars.” You know, do this 5 days in a row and get 100 bonus stars you can spend over the next six months… Yeah. I refuse to add up how much money I spend to “win” those 100 stars. That said, I have two more bakery items to buy over the next three days…
5. Pete stories of the week. Loki now waits for me to open the door to the garage in the mornings so he and Pete can “boop” noses. No hissing, just a boop and then they both seem satisified. I suspect when it gets really cold, Pete will explore the house more closely. LG went out in the garage to get a big bag of aluminum cans to be recycled. He expected to be greated by Pete–or at least for Pete to freak a little at the noise. Except there was no Pete. He asked me to check the Ring to see if Pete was out in the driveway. He wasn’t. I went out to the garage, looked around, and pointed to Pete’s bed where he was curled up sound asleep. Granted, the bed is tucked back against some storage boxes beneath the circular hanging rack that holds LG’s work and cold-weather gear so it is shadowed there. And the inside of the bed is a buff color, slightly lighter than Pete, but LG getting a little freaked because he thought Pete was out running around late at night… Yeah.
So that’s my five. College football this weekend. No soccer, it’s a bye week for Stormy. Hope everyone gets to do something fun and/or relaxing!
October 14th, 2022 at 3:35 pm · Link
1. No harm in being early :). Nice that you got the ultra sound done in 1/2 an hour and could have coffee. Not so good on the bloody ants.
2. No idea what the wired walls is, but let’s keep our fingers crossed that it works and the ants are a pest of the past.
3. Hope the glitch gets straightened with the moving cards.
4. Yes! on the blinds.
5. Hope Wizard gets to go racing Sunday. With the guys building the bench and stuff for the garage you should get them top take a break for furniture shopping.
1a. Today is Harrison’s birthday. As soon as he woke up his mother started giving him presents. Being a one and only has perks.
2a. Paw Paw loved watching Harrison open every thing and experience a 5 year old entire birthday. School party and all. Lots of horse riding.
3a. I got my hair done FINALY. I scheduled my next two appointments before I left. She has told me in the past I didn’t need to to that but with this being holiday time she encouraged it.
4a. Hubs gets home Sunday around 6 PM. Youngest is picking him up from the airport. I bet hubs will be exhausted after 6 full days of Harrison 😄.
5a. I think I’m going to make soup chicken Sunday. It’s been chilly (some say cold) and it will be fall like.
Have a great weekend!
October 14th, 2022 at 4:46 pm · Link
B.E, if the treatment the exterminator did works, then I don’t mind paying for a while. Ants really trigger my anger, LOL!
1) That is great news on your eval! Plus you have a nice supervisor to take you to lunch to do it.
2) Fall is great, and I’m glad you’re enjoying the scenic benefits.
3) Hope the birds were good luck even if you couldn’t identify them.
4) That “getting to talking” often happens with my and Wizard too And that’s great that you live so close to work!
5) It’s nice to be able to appreciate Friday!
I hope you have a great weekend!
October 14th, 2022 at 4:59 pm · Link
Silver, yes the newfangled method of extermination is safe for pets and people. Plus it’s a powder so it can’t cause mold in the walls (which hadn’t even occurred to me until the gal I talked to pointed it out). We’ll see. And yep, I can always figure out something fun to do if I’m not busy or super tired on Sunday.
1) I hope the rains come in reasonable amounts soon. I hear you on AC for sure.
2) He did 23 laps!!! Color me impressed! He earned the money for the club!
3) I bet the Swedish meatballs were good! Soy sauce can add so much flavor!
4) LOL on the bonus stars! Yep, you’re their market and that’s okay because you like it and it’s making you happy. An don’t add up the money, you like the challenge and feeling of getting those stars to “spend” later. These little joys in life matter, and I believe in treating ourselves with them often if we can.
5) LG was worried about Pete I love it! Also glad Pete was fine all curled up in his bed. And to make LG feel better, we can miss Maggie in her kennel because it’s a dark gray blanket and she’s black and gray, so I get it. Loki and Pete are slowly getting to know each other which is good.
Enjoy your college football weekend!
October 14th, 2022 at 5:09 pm · Link
Viki, we’ve been all over looking at furniture last night and today, and I can run out alone too. It’s a process and a lot of stuff we will have to wait (and hope we win the lottery, LOL).
1) Yep, being the only is a huge perk. Happy Actual Birthday Day to Harrison!
2) Wow Grandpa’s getting the whole experience, and really, horse riding? Real horses??
3) Hope you like your hair and it’s smart to schedule ahead this time of year for sure.
4) I bet Hubs will be beat too, and still have a zillion things to tell you. It sounds like both he and Harrison are having a great time.
5) Sounds like perfect soup and stew weather!
Hope you have a great weekend!